PDA

View Full Version : Sirius satellite radio plans video service or '06.

Kris Kringle
01-05-2005, 11:08 AM
http://cnn.netscape.cnn.com/ns/news/story.jsp?id=2005010511190001487161&dt=20050105111900&w=APO&coview=

Why did I buy XM radio??!! :banghead:

I bought XM because I thought they were the industry leader and always would be. I thought they would stay ahead of Sirius. But, since I bought XM, Sirius has added the NFL package and will begin video service in '06. To their credit, XM has added college football and MLB. But I wouldn't give two craps for MLB. I watch a little college football, but my main interest is the NFL. I suppose that Sirius has a monopoly on the NFL, so XM will never get it. :cuss:

Saulbadguy
01-05-2005, 11:19 AM
My main interest is the NFL as well, but i'll never find myself driving somewhere and wanting to listen to an NFL game. I always make plans ahead to be near a TV when the Chiefs are playing.

Taco John
01-05-2005, 11:22 AM
Great news! This is so awesome... I bought 200 shares of Sirius when it was at a buck and a quarter... Now it's sitting at almost 7 and three quarters, and plenty of upward potential...

Ari Chi3fs
01-05-2005, 01:04 PM
Great news! This is so awesome... I bought 200 shares of Sirius when it was at a buck and a quarter... Now it's sitting at almost 7 and three quarters, and plenty of upward potential...

yeah, i bought 300 near 1.75... i really wish i had thrown 5K at the stock... im a idiot. :cuss:

The Bad Guy
01-05-2005, 01:05 PM
I'm looking to get into buying stocks, anyone want to point me to a good website?

Dr. Facebook Fever
01-05-2005, 01:06 PM
Sirius is the bomb. You got screwed.

It doesn't make you a bad person though.

Hog Farmer
01-05-2005, 01:14 PM
You guys be careful. I was accused of pimping this stock not too long ago.

|Zach|
01-05-2005, 01:20 PM
My main interest is the NFL as well, but i'll never find myself driving somewhere and wanting to listen to an NFL game. I always make plans ahead to be near a TV when the Chiefs are playing.
Me to, the NFL package is cool but I can't think of a time personally when I have only listened to a game on the radio. I watch all my NFL games.

XM has the MLB package and I find myself listening to a lot of baseball on the radio.

This sounds like a pretty cool deal but im not really pissed at XM because I wanted radio...I guess im just not that interested in video.

Saulbadguy
01-05-2005, 01:22 PM
I'd be interested in video when it comes out. I'd switch to Sirius if XM doesn't come out with something similar.

|Zach|
01-05-2005, 01:23 PM
I'd be interested in video when it comes out. I'd switch to Sirius if XM doesn't come out with something similar.
Seems dangerous to me...

Saulbadguy
01-05-2005, 01:26 PM
Seems dangerous to me...
Yeah, if you watch it and drive. The passengers might like it though.

|Zach|
01-05-2005, 01:29 PM
Yeah, if you watch it and drive. The passengers might like it though.
Of course but still...idk...

I am happy with XM. I am sure they come out with some video thing of Sirius does. These two companies have been running side by side for a while.

Swanman
01-05-2005, 02:13 PM
It seems like Sirius is throwing an awful lot of money around these days to attempt to compete with XM. They're giving Stern an ungodly amount of money ($500 million over 5 years) as well as the new video service to attempt to lure listeners to Sirius instead of XM. As it stands right now, Sirius has about a million subscribers while XM has over 3 million listeners. Sirius better hope Stern pulls in lots of subscribers to pay for that $100 million/year contract. I'll just stick with XM and Opie & Anthony right now.

ragedogg69
01-05-2005, 06:18 PM
i am a sirius sub. i have 4 different recievers, and i think video is a horrible idea. they will use the bandwidth from the music stations for the 3 video channels. there bandwidth is already limited. and all it will take is echostar or directv to hop on this tv in your car to shut them down.

give me cd quality music before you waste your resources on this.

Skip Towne
01-05-2005, 06:28 PM
I haven't heard anything about Directv getting involved but if the money is there so will be Directv.

ragedogg69
01-05-2005, 10:47 PM
Actually DirecTV has an in car satellite system called Tracvision (i believe) Its a pretty big antenna and expensive (about $2500?). I would expect them to advance technology to be more practical and cheaper.

hmm... 3 channels vs 300 channels plus sunday ticket.

like i said. eventually D* will be all over this thing with affordability which is why i see this sirius video as an eventual failure down the line. IMHO.