PDA

View Full Version : Whitlock: This Isn't the Real OU Team...

ramsey
01-05-2005, 12:26 PM
You can believe that was the real Oklahoma team Tuesday night. I don't. I've watched them all year. I saw them dominate the Big 12. I saw Peterson run over and around every defender that tried to tackle him. I saw White litter the field with touchdown passes. I saw Oklahoma's defense suffocate Vince Young and Darren Sproles and Mike Leach's high-powered offense.
Maybe, just maybe, this OU team isn't all that great because the B12 isn't that good. Beating up on Colorado doesn't mean anything. Dominating the B12 isn't like dominating the SEC.

htismaqe
01-05-2005, 12:28 PM
I don't know. I think it boiled down to White having a really bad game.

OU shut down TTech and Tech destroyed Cal, who in turn almost beat USC.

HemiEd
01-05-2005, 12:53 PM

Here is what I saw: OU came out strong, they were ready both physically and mentally. However they were slipping all over the place on offense and defense. They turned the ball over a couple of times bacause a receiver slipped and fell, consequently intercepted. They got behind and could not overcome the momentem change.
Very simple, fire the equipment guy!

Bearcat
01-05-2005, 12:56 PM
Maybe, just maybe, this OU team isn't all that great because the B12 isn't that good. Beating up on Colorado doesn't mean anything. Dominating the B12 isn't like dominating the SEC.

:spock:

Dominating the Pac-10 doesn't mean crap either. :shrug:

Cochise
01-05-2005, 01:02 PM
I think what it comes down to is that OU didn't belong in that game. Say what you will about bad cleats or White having a bad game, or whatever you want to blame it on, but bottom line, OU's defense didn't have a prayer of stopping USC's offense and USC's front shut down the running game.

Maybe they just laid an egg but it looked to me like there was one team that was clearly better than the other.

Auburn has enough speed on D to have made it a game. Hell they definitely couldn't have done any worse.

I like it, makes the BCS look stupid again.

ptlyon
01-05-2005, 01:04 PM
I think what it comes down to is that OU didn't belong in that game. Say what you will about bad cleats or White having a bad game, or whatever you want to blame it on, but bottom line, OU's defense didn't have a prayer of stopping USC's offense and USC's front shut down the running game.

Maybe they just laid an egg but it looked to me like there was one team that was clearly better than the other.

Auburn has enough speed on D to have made it a game. Hell they definitely couldn't have done any worse.

I like it, makes the BCS look stupid again.

Amen. Although everyone knows that Auburn should claim the National Title.

KCTitus
01-05-2005, 01:09 PM
...Very simple, fire the equipment guy!

hemied is quickly becoming my favorite poster...this is some great analysis.

1punkyQB
01-05-2005, 01:52 PM
OU's been burned by deep passes this year and faced the worst team in college football to have that problem against. And Whitlock thinks OU would have a chance if a 7-game series were played? A Big 12 homer-like comment.

KCChiefsFan88
01-05-2005, 01:56 PM
Fatlock needs to get his head out of Bob Stoop's azzzz

e_train69
01-05-2005, 02:03 PM
OU is not near as bad as they looked last night and USC is not near as good as they looked.

The game took a major swing in momentum on the muffed punt and things just got worse for OU after that.

The bad footing by OU was baffling to me. You would have thought they would have prepared for the field conditions better than they did. It was obvious they had the wrong shoes on.

Bob Dole
01-05-2005, 02:05 PM

This is the same thing Bob Dole said in the game thread last night, and Bob Dole will say it again.

It did not matter one bit who was playing on the other side of the ball last night. OU's primary problems had absolutely zero to do with USC and everything to do with making stupid mental errors and constantly falling down (equipment ****up, IBDHO).

Bradley's brain fart on the punt had nothing to do with anayone else on the field.

White throwing off his back foot with his eyes closed to a USC team meeting downfield, had nothing to do with the opponent.

Receivers and backs losing their footing into almost every single cut, had nothing to do with the color of the jersey covering them.

OU simply choked and USC played an outstanding game. Bob Dole would not begin to suggest that USC is not the better team...only that people who are condemning an entire conference based on last night's pathetic OU performance are (apologies to Manard) dumbfounded dipshits.

1punkyQB
01-05-2005, 02:10 PM
The performance of the North division helped form the perceptions of the B12 before the Orange Bowl was played. In most years, I think the B12 is the second best conference in the country, but this was not their year.

PastorMikH
01-05-2005, 02:10 PM

Just like last year's game.

White is a really good QB until the big game. Then he just seems to fall apart.

e_train69
01-05-2005, 02:18 PM
In Jason Whites' defense, in last years Championship game he was held together with bailing wire and duct tape. If you go back and watch that game, he could not throw the ball further than 30 yards. Injuries were the main cause of his suckage last year.

This year he had no excuse. They dug an early hole and he "CHOKED"! The entire team did.

Chiefs Pantalones
01-05-2005, 02:26 PM
I think USC is better than OU, and that's why they beat them.

Captain Obvious, anyone?

tk13
01-05-2005, 02:26 PM
I wouldn't put the whole Big XII conference down just because Oklahoma failed, although USC probably does deserve some props in favor of the Pac-10 because I heard several people ripping on USC not being good enough to be in the title game because their conference was weaker. Talent-wise maybe those two teams last night aren't quite that far apart, but when the lights came on and all the chips were on the table, one came to play and beat the other team into submission, that's it, you have no second chance, so that's the real OU team you saw last night, I don't really buy into any excuses for them. Both teams had over a month to prepare for this game, any failure to execute or be prepared falls squarely on the team that failed.

Bearcat
01-05-2005, 02:48 PM
I wouldn't put the whole Big XII conference down just because Oklahoma failed...

Yeah, the conference was 4-2 before last night, which led all conferences.... even though all the losses were really bad.

Both teams had over a month to prepare for this game, any failure to execute or be prepared falls squarely on the team that failed.

Another reason a playoff would be much better... obviously both teams had the same amount of time off (minus the Big 12 Championship game, I guess), so it's not an excuse for OU, but I just think with less time between games, there's a much better chance that both teams would play well. I think it was Pete Carroll that said he'd look to see if his guys were tackling well as an indicator if they would play well after the time off.... that says a lot when you're talking about such a big game.

PastorMikH
01-05-2005, 02:50 PM
I think USC is better than OU, and that's why they beat them.

Captain Obvious, anyone?

I said that last night in the 3rd quarter. OU obviously didn't show up to play, but even if they had, I doubt they would have won.

HemiEd
01-05-2005, 02:53 PM
hemied is quickly becoming my favorite poster...this is some great analysis.

Thanks Titus, I am humbled by this. I am learning a lot from the "top ten" regulars and appreciate the acknowledgement. Beerme is the person that caught my first post and told me to do the intro.

e_train69
01-05-2005, 02:55 PM
I believe if OU would have played their A-Game, like we saw most of the year, they could have easily won.

Props to USC for playing theirs.

Chiefs Pantalones
01-05-2005, 02:59 PM
IMO, college football is flawed because there is no playoff. I won't watch it closely as I do the NFL until they get one.

KCTitus
01-05-2005, 03:03 PM
IMO, college football is flawed because there is no playoff. I won't watch it closely as I do the NFL until they get one.

That's too bad...some of the best games Ive watched have been college games.

tk13
01-05-2005, 03:09 PM
I believe if OU would have played their A-Game, like we saw most of the year, they could have easily won.

See, this is what I mean. I'm not trying to be an ass, but it seems like there are lot of people who think this, including Whitlock. Why? I'm just asking an honest question.... Oklahoma didn't just lose by 3 or 7 points, they got whipped by 40 points in just about three quarters of football. I don't understand what happened last night to deserve to give Oklahoma any credit to say they possibly could've beat USC.

shakesthecat
01-05-2005, 03:14 PM
That's too bad...some of the best games Ive watched have been college games.

No kidding!
This past weekend alone.

The Michigan/Texas game was one of the best games I've seen in years.

The ending of the Iowa/LSU game was one of the best I've ever seen.

PastorMikH
01-05-2005, 04:02 PM

Living down here in OK myself, I share your sentiments about OU. However, the USC WRs seemed to be a lot faster than OU's DBs. OU's DBs were getting outran on every deep play. When they gave more cushion, they got beat underneath. I thought OU was the best team out there. After watching them and USC play last night, I really think USC is the best team in the nation right now.

Calcountry
01-05-2005, 04:05 PM

What did Cal have to play for in that Bowl game?

Respect? Pride? The Pac 12?

No, no, I get it, they were playing for THE BCS system that just fugged them out up oneside and down the other.

They mailed it in bud.

Calcountry
01-05-2005, 04:08 PM
I wouldn't put the whole Big XII conference down just because Oklahoma failed, although USC probably does deserve some props in favor of the Pac-10 because I heard several people ripping on USC not being good enough to be in the title game because their conference was weaker. Talent-wise maybe those two teams last night aren't quite that far apart, but when the lights came on and all the chips were on the table, one came to play and beat the other team into submission, that's it, you have no second chance, so that's the real OU team you saw last night, I don't really buy into any excuses for them. Both teams had over a month to prepare for this game, any failure to execute or be prepared falls squarely on the team that failed.
Umm, when was the last time SC lost a game?

Calcountry
01-05-2005, 04:10 PM

I think that SC wins that game 8 out of 10 times.

OU plays their A game and doesn't get outright embarrassed but still loses.

bobbything
01-05-2005, 04:13 PM
I'm sick of hearing Whitlock spit forth this garbage, all day, about a 7 game series. That's not a reality. It's not possible. He kept saying that USC was the better team on that day. And that's it. Well, of course that's all you can really say. And that's the same thing you could say about college basketball, and the NFL, and high school football, and tennis, and so on.

The fact is that OU got their asses handed to them in the national championship game, and they didn't really have to beat anyone, other than Tejas, to get to that game. They were "elected" into that game. What other sport does this?

Boozer
01-05-2005, 05:59 PM

Thank you Craig James. :rolleyes:

svuba
01-05-2005, 06:55 PM

What Game were you watching?

OU got MANHANDLED!
the DB's couldn't cover Any of the USC recievers, and their D_Line got NO pressure on Leinart. That is not luck or "Bringing your A-game" that is "Getting your A$$ kicked because your team is Physically incapable of stopping the other team". We should all be familiar with this kind of Defensive performance because it is the same thing the Chiefs did all year long. - -----

OU's Offense may have choked, but The Defense got Bitch-Slapped!

Frosty
01-05-2005, 07:51 PM

No, no, I get it, they were playing for THE BCS system that just fugged them out up oneside and down the other.

They mailed it in bud.

Absolutely.

Cal played really flat. They were also missing both of their stud receivers to injury.

HemiEd
01-05-2005, 08:00 PM
What Game were you watching?

OU got MANHANDLED!
the DB's couldn't cover Any of the USC recievers, and their D_Line got NO pressure on Leinart. That is not luck or "Bringing your A-game" that is "Getting your A$$ kicked because your team is Physically incapable of stopping the other team". We should all be familiar with this kind of Defensive performance because it is the same thing the Chiefs did all year long. - -----

OU's Offense may have choked, but The Defense got Bitch-Slapped!

Only because they were wearing the wrong shoes, you warm weather boys should have played fair and shared you shoes! :p

Garcia Bronco
01-05-2005, 08:08 PM

Since the big-12 is one of the weakest conferences of the BCS conferences...it stands to reason that...yes...we did see the real OU last night. They had no business playing in that game...The should have played Virginia Tech in the Sugar Bowl.

Garcia Bronco
01-05-2005, 08:13 PM
Here is what I saw: OU came out strong, they were ready both physically and mentally. However they were slipping all over the place on offense and defense. They turned the ball over a couple of times bacause a receiver slipped and fell, consequently intercepted. They got behind and could not overcome the momentem change.
Very simple, fire the equipment guy!

That's not what I saw...I saw White making great plays before he got crushed by the USC defense on each play....moving around in the pocket anfd feeling the pressure...after the second series or so....they had nothing left for USC...they couldn't protect him...and they couldn't run the ball...Peterson was completely shut down. He's been killing defenses in the big 12 all year...plays outside of it and he's done. OU was living off the rep from years ago...and they can't back it up.

HemiEd
01-05-2005, 08:18 PM
That's not what I saw...I saw White making great plays before he got crushed by the USC defense on each play....moving around in the pocket anfd feeling the pressure...after the second series or so....they had nothing left for USC...they couldn't protect him...and they couldn't run the ball...Peterson was completely shut down. He's been killing defenses in the big 12 all year...plays outside of it and he's done. OU was living off the rep from years ago...and they can't back it up.

I have a hard time staying rational when I see a "jack-ass" helmet on a Chiefs site. It is a shame that the once in a lifetime opportunity for Auburn to play in the title game did not happen since they played lower division schools to stay undefeated.

Garcia Bronco
01-05-2005, 08:49 PM
I have a hard time staying rational when I see a "jack-ass" helmet on a Chiefs site. It is a shame that the once in a lifetime opportunity for Auburn to play in the title game did not happen since they played lower division schools to stay undefeated.

The SEC is the toughest football conference in the land....you can call it bad...that just means everyone else is worse.

They beat:

#4 LSU
#8 Tenn
#5 Georgia
#15 Tenn again

They beat 5 teams that have 10 wins in 13 game seasons

OU only played one top 10 opponent all season...#5 Texas...

Texas is a the other BIG-12 ringer for the BCS...they exist to give other big-12 teams prestige when they get beat. Big-12 was tougher a few years ago...but since Nebreska and K-State have fallen off the map....they're the big east without Miami and Virginia Tech.

Chiefs Pantalones
01-05-2005, 08:57 PM
The reason White is sometimes off when he throws the ball is because he doesn't always hold the ball by the laces. That's a sign that he's hurrying too much, he's not relaxed in the pocket, from what I see. That's mostly on straight drop backs or in the shotgun. He needs to be more patient, because he's got a good offensiveline.

HemiEd
01-05-2005, 09:08 PM
The SEC is the toughest football conference in the land....you can call it bad...that just means everyone else is worse.

They beat:

#4 LSU
#8 Tenn
#5 Georgia
#15 Tenn again

They beat 5 teams that have 10 wins in 13 game seasons

OU only played one top 10 opponent all season...#5 Texas...

Texas is a the other BIG-12 ringer for the BCS...they exist to give other big-12 teams prestige when they get beat. Big-12 was tougher a few years ago...but since Nebreska and K-State have fallen off the map....they're the big east without Miami and Virginia Tech.

I stick by my story, it was the shoes. This comes from 40 plus years of watching football. If you don't have the right shoes you are fugged!

Garcia Bronco
01-05-2005, 09:10 PM
I stick by my story, it was the shoes. This comes from 40 plus years of watching football. If you don't have the right shoes you are fugged!

Both teams where slipping on the field in the first quarter.....but the slipping stopped.....except on the scoreboard.

PastorMikH
01-05-2005, 09:17 PM
The field was the same for both teams. One was smart enough to pack some longer spikes just in case.

HemiEd
01-05-2005, 09:17 PM
Both teams where slipping on the field in the first quarter.....but the slipping stopped.....except on the scoreboard.

Now I think you are the one that was having a viewing problem here. Was there a snowstorm in the Rockies last night? It was very obvious that the Sooner Defenders and Receivers could not make cuts and Prophilactics could. What game were you watching? If I was stoops I would have stopped the game if I would have had to use all of my timeouts, sent someone to footlocker or wherever and solved the problem. The Sooners were on skates, give me a break!
I don't even like the Sooners, but it did cost me a couple of hondo!

Garcia Bronco
01-05-2005, 09:20 PM
Now I think you are the one that was having a viewing problem here. Was there a snowstorm in the Rockies last night? It was very obvious that the Sooner Defenders and Receivers could not make cuts and Prophilactics could. What game were you watching? If I was stoops I would have stopped the game if I would have had to use all of my timeouts, sent someone to footlocker or wherever and solved the problem. The Sooners were on skates, give me a break!
I don't even like the Sooners, but it did cost me a couple of hondo!

I watched every minute of that game and USC was slipping all over the place on defense during the OU first and second drives.

HemiEd
01-05-2005, 09:20 PM
The field was the same for both teams. One was smart enough to pack some longer spikes just in case.

You are correct sir!

HemiEd
01-05-2005, 09:22 PM
I watched every minute of that game and USC was slipping all over the place on defense during the OU first and second drives.

If you watched the fourth quarter of that game you need to get a life! :p

PastorMikH
01-05-2005, 09:26 PM
If you watched the fourth quarter of that game you need to get a life! :p

I was sitting in a room with several solid OU fans. The guy that owned the house (a huge OU fan) got up, when in the other room and started painting halfway through the 2nd quarter.

The rest of us starting switching back and forth between the game and ESPN to watching their Ali boxing marathon. Amazing how fights 30 years ago were more entertaining for us than the football game.

HemiEd
01-05-2005, 09:32 PM
I was sitting in a room with several solid OU fans. The guy that owned the house (a huge OU fan) got up, when in the other room and started painting halfway through the 2nd quarter.

The rest of us starting switching back and forth between the game and ESPN to watching their Ali boxing marathon. Amazing how fights 30 years ago were more entertaining for us than the football game.

I agree, there was no hope after the middle the second quarter. That stupid interception kind of sealed it, the one where he was in his own red zone. Even when Switzer was there they were not a come from behind team. My Sister and Brother in law are die hard sooner fans, waiting a while to talk to them.

Chiefs Pantalones
01-05-2005, 10:10 PM
BRING BACK TEH JOSH HEUPEL, LONG LIVE TEH OU>>!!!111

BigChiefFan
01-06-2005, 11:30 AM
My thoughts on the game are the Sooners got their asses handed to them, but I don't think you can discredit their season. The had a hell of a run and choked in the big game. It sucks as a Sooner fan, but it beats not even having a shot in the first place.

e_train69
01-06-2005, 11:33 AM
Just got back to the BB and looked this thread up and noticed there had been further discussion over this.

I made the comment that OU was not nearly as bad as they looked and believe if OU had played like they are capable of and played the entire season they could have given USC a good game and possibly won. I still stand by that.

Everyone makes comments on how they did not play anyone or the Big 12 is weak. The fact is they played against a number of good teams and atheletes and put together 12 straight wins. That is not a mark of a weak football team. They had a bad night and were not prepared and not accustomed to coming from behind to win a game (they felt the pressure and choked). They packed it in! As an OU fan, that is what irritates me more than anything, they gave up.

Compare this game to the KC-Atlanta game. Do you think after the way we blew them out that we are that much better than them. They are in the playoffs (NFC I know) as a #2 seed, while the Chiefs finished 7-9? No, we had a great game, and got a lead and started pinning our ears back and going after them. It is a snowball effect. Sometimes everything goes your way and you can do no wrong. Then there is the flip side when everything goes wrong and you have no momentum and everything gets worse.

I know many will disagree, but this is the way I see it. I watched every game OU played this year and they can be deadly. I can also say I have not seen an OU team play that poorly since John Blake was head coach.

What will be great is if OU is playing for the Championship next year, which is very possible.

Brock
01-06-2005, 11:36 AM
Who cares, since neither Auburn nor Utah get a chance to legitimize this "championship".

BigChiefFan
01-06-2005, 11:39 AM
Who cares, since neither Auburn nor Utah get a chance to legitimize this "championship". USC smoked the number two team in the country. They are clearly the national champions. I'd love to have playoffs in college ball, but I can't say that I think Auburn or Utah is better than USC this year.

WilliamTheIrish
01-06-2005, 11:40 AM
What a load of shiot.

The theme to OU's three losses in 2 seasons is simple.

Pressure Jason White. He can't move. You do that, he'll throw it up for grabs.

K-State did it.

LSU did it.

SC just followed the winning pattern.

The DLine just laid waste to OU OLine.

Brock
01-06-2005, 11:41 AM
USC smoked the number two team in the country. They are clearly the national champions. I'd love to have playoffs in college ball, but I can't say that I think Auburn or Utah is better than USC this year.

Noted.

WilliamTheIrish
01-06-2005, 11:49 AM

They mailed it in bud.

Then they are bigger p*ssies than I originally thought. You sure as hell don't cry over not making it into the BCS, then fall flat on your flace against a TTech.

Cal proved they didn't belong.

At least that's what I was told in 1998.....

Calcountry
01-06-2005, 12:23 PM
Then they are bigger p*ssies than I originally thought. You sure as hell don't cry over not making it into the BCS, then fall flat on your flace against a TTech.

Cal proved they didn't belong.

At least that's what I was told in 1998.....
Hey, TG is from Cal. :p