PDA

View Full Version : WiFi Question

HC_Chief
01-05-2005, 11:58 AM
Sitrep: I have a 802.11g wireless router (Belkin)... it is properly configured and functional, however every five minutes or so, my connection drops(laptop) - reporting the available wireless networks and forcing me to reconnect. My DHCP leases are configured to last for 2 days, so I know it's not the IP. The router is NOT broadcasting its SSID - I have the key configured and security enabled, so it shouldn't be a broadcast issue.

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?
Anyone else run into similar problems?

Thig Lyfe
01-05-2005, 12:01 PM
I just got my pda wifi'ed and there seems to be another network somewhere in the neighborhood. only once has it dropped my network for the other, but it might have been because my network went down for a second.

in other words, I have no idea how to fix it.

HC_Chief
01-05-2005, 12:06 PM
Mine won't connect to the other... it simply drops connection to mine, then prompts me with a list of available networks. I have to then reconnect to mine... it's frigging annoying

unlurking
01-05-2005, 12:09 PM
Windows XP?

Edit:

In case I'm not back to read your response, this was a HUGE problem with WinXP. You can normally resolve by installing SP2, or the following wireless update for XP.

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=826942

go bowe
01-05-2005, 12:14 PM
Mine won't connect to the other... it simply drops connection to mine, then prompts me with a list of available networks. I have to then reconnect to mine... it's frigging annoyingmy laptop used to do that, but not my other wireless pc's...

i reinstalled the drivers for the network card in the laptop, using the cd that came with the card...

no more problems...

XXXshogunXXX
01-05-2005, 12:19 PM
Change the channels on the router, main channels are 1, 6, 11. move your 2.4 ghz phones, (if you have them) away from the router and card.

Saulbadguy
01-05-2005, 12:22 PM
I had to change wifi cards when I had that problem.

Otter
01-05-2005, 01:02 PM
Are you running WEP?

Since we're on the tech subject: How much do you know about the new PCIe compatable motherboards.

HC_Chief
01-05-2005, 04:48 PM
I am using WEP (128bit)
Windows Server 2003 Advanced
Channel switched from 7 to 9 to 4.... same problem on each

I'll try new drivers

morphius
01-05-2005, 04:56 PM
I am using WEP (128bit)
Windows Server 2003 Advanced
Channel switched from 7 to 9 to 4.... same problem on each

I'll try new drivers
The only time I have had that issue with mine is when comcast was flooding my router.

HC_Chief
01-05-2005, 05:08 PM
No router floods... this router is behind 2 stateful firewalls; no way for traffic to get to it.

The SSID is not broadcast, so I seriously doubt it's being flooded via 802.11x traffic.

I updated my WiFi card driver - now I can use TKIP.WEP :D

My bet is it was a driver issue. Since the update, it has not dropped connection. I'll cross my fingers and hope that was it ;)

htismaqe
01-05-2005, 05:47 PM
No router floods... this router is behind 2 stateful firewalls; no way for traffic to get to it.

The SSID is not broadcast, so I seriously doubt it's being flooded via 802.11x traffic.

I updated my WiFi card driver - now I can use TKIP.WEP :D

My bet is it was a driver issue. Since the update, it has not dropped connection. I'll cross my fingers and hope that was it ;)

Yep. I've seen that before. WindowsXP doesn't always install a 100%-compatible driver.

The other thing you can do is just uncheck the box in the Wireless Properties that says "Use Windows to configure my wireless network settings".

HC_Chief
01-05-2005, 05:53 PM
Yep. I've seen that before. WindowsXP doesn't always install a 100%-compatible driver.

The other thing you can do is just uncheck the box in the Wireless Properties that says "Use Windows to configure my wireless network settings".

Not XP... 2003 AS ;)

Disabling the "Use Windows..." will fail because I disabled SSID broadcast. If you uncheck it, you cannot configure a preferred network :rolleyes:

Dell has a good WLAN util that came w/ the update driver... I use that now instead :D

Nightfyre
01-05-2005, 07:26 PM
Not XP... 2003 AS ;)

Disabling the "Use Windows..." will fail because I disabled SSID broadcast. If you uncheck it, you cannot configure a preferred network :rolleyes:

Dell has a good WLAN util that came w/ the update driver... I use that now instead :D
you should run through that once more for me, since i seem to have similar problems.

HC_Chief
01-06-2005, 09:12 AM
you should run through that once more for me, since i seem to have similar problems.

?
The solution for my problem was an updated driver for my laptop's wireless card. You can find the card make/model in device manager. You will also find your current driver version listed there.

I have a Dell Latitude D505 (great laptop, btw) w/ a TrueMobile 1300 wireless card. I went to Dell's site, navigated through all the pages to get to my driver (PITA), then updated. Went from version 3.2x to 3.4x... the difference was significant! They included a new WLAN utility, support for TKIP WEP security, and the connection has been completely stable since. :thumb: