PDA

View Full Version : Large Indian Ocean Quake changes time ?

ROYC75
01-05-2005, 01:40 PM
Quake Was So Violent It Changed Time?

The massive earthquake beneath the Indian Ocean may have done more than generate a deadly tsunami. A geophysicist with NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory in California thinks the quake may have permanently accelerated the Earth's rotation, which would cause our days to be shortened by a fraction of a second, as well as caused the planet to wobble on its axis, reports Reuters.

NASA's Richard Gross theorizes there was a shift of mass toward the Earth's center during the earthquake on Dec. 26 that caused our planet to spin three microseconds--or three millionths of a second--faster and to tilt about an inch on its axis. The earthquake "had the effect of making the Earth more compact and spinning faster," Gross told Reuters.

A global positioning satellite network routinely measures changes in the Earth's spin, but Gross thinks that the changes detected by his model are so minuscule they probably won't be picked up by the satellites. However, there's a chance the data may reveal a slight wobble. Before you start acting like Chicken Little, know this: Gross explained to Reuters that the Earth's poles travel a circular path that typically varies by about 33 feet, so an extra inch of wobble is unlikely to cause long-term effects. "That continual motion is just used to changing," he explained. "The rotation is not actually that precise. The Earth does slow down and change its rate of rotation."

But when these variations that are measured in millionths of a second add up to something more significant, planetary scientists add a "leap second" to the end of a year. While this has been done previously, it hasn't happened for many years.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

:shake: That's all I need, less seconds in my days.

I hope we don't turn to far, Global warming will take affect .

Bob Dole
01-05-2005, 01:42 PM
That would explain Bob Dole's sudden weight loss.

CosmicPal
01-05-2005, 01:42 PM
It's not true.

Besides, I heard earlier articles stating it made the planet slower.

Taco John
01-05-2005, 01:44 PM
I hope we don't turn to far, Global warming will take affect .

It already is up here... We should have at least 50 inches of snow on the mountain where I board... Right now, we're sitting on a 19 inch base... That blows.

KC Kings
01-05-2005, 03:25 PM
NASA's Richard Gross theorizes there was a shift of mass toward the Earth's center during the earthquake on Dec. 26 that caused our planet to spin three microseconds--or three millionths of a second--faster

If our Planet is now faster, does this mean that Kyle can turn the search function back on?

4th and Long
01-05-2005, 08:00 PM
Here's an interesting animated gif of the earthquake I found on another site.

Nightfyre
01-05-2005, 08:09 PM
it wasnt a huge shift, it was like a millionth of a second or somethingbut all that water moving will shft the rotation speed a bit.

Frankie
01-05-2005, 10:44 PM
Shorter days = Shorter years = Longer life expectency.

Just being an optimist.

morphius
01-05-2005, 10:51 PM
I believe I also read somewhere that that the Earth normally waivers time by 2 microseconds a year, so a 3 microsecond change really isn't anything.

Ultra Peanut
01-05-2005, 10:51 PM

Deberg_1990
01-05-2005, 11:17 PM
I think it also shifted the space/time continuim as well.

Nightfyre
01-05-2005, 11:19 PM
I think it also shifted the space/time continuim as well.
Like a fox.

Rain Man
01-06-2005, 08:45 AM
Here's an interesting animated gif of the earthquake I found on another site.

I was wondering why this whole thing killed only two people in Bangladesh. They usually lose more than that at high tide.

If this thing had been oriented more north/south, I'll bet it would've taken out half a million Bangladeshis, considering their crowding and their elevation.

Somewhere too I'll bet there was some poor shipwrecked schmoe who was living on a deserted island and was just really cursing his luck when that wave was coming toward him.