PDA

View Full Version : Will Marty win in the first round of the playoffs?

2bikemike
01-05-2005, 09:13 PM
I think the Chargers have an excellent chance of winning this weekend. I don't think the Jets are going to be able to hang with Chargers.

The game is more than likely going to be a wet soggy affair. Curtis Martin is the rushing title holder and he and their O-line are going to have to have a damn good game to overcome the Chargers Defense.

Both defenses are pretty good against the run. Chargers are 3rd in the NFL and Jets are 5th.

However pass defense is another story The only team worse than the Chargers are us. The Jets rank 14th.

I realize that anything can happen in the playoffs but I think its a Charger win.

Count Alex's Losses
01-05-2005, 09:19 PM
Yeah, I think they will actually win.

Mile High Mania
01-05-2005, 09:21 PM
The Jets have played kinda flat... the passing game hasn't been there really all year and it's been all Martin.

The Chargers can stop the run really well and they shouldn't have issues stopping the Jets passing attack. @ San Diego... it's a win for the Bolts.

Deberg_1990
01-05-2005, 09:25 PM
Yeah, I think they will actually win.

Yes, I think they will more than likely win. Having said that, no one thought that in Jan of 96 we would lose to the Colts either.

2bikemike
01-05-2005, 09:27 PM
The Jets have played kinda flat... the passing game hasn't been there really all year and it's been all Martin.

The Chargers can stop the run really well and they shouldn't have issues stopping the Jets passing attack. @ San Diego... it's a win for the Bolts.

Tacos Pineapple express might put a hamper on the passing game. I think the weathermen are predicting the brunt of the storm on Friday. But saturday might be pretty bad as well.

I think the way both teams have played of late as me thinking the momentum is all Chargers.

HemiEd
01-05-2005, 09:28 PM
I hope so, he deserves to win the trophy. Is Greg Hill still the real deal?

2bikemike
01-05-2005, 09:28 PM
Yes, I think they will more than likely win. Having said that, no one thought that in Jan of 96 we would lose to the Colts either.

I have been disappointed a lot of times by this team but I do believe that one was the hardest to take.

tk13
01-05-2005, 09:29 PM
He should win the game, but with Marty should seem to become should've way too often when the word "playoffs" is involved.

milkman
01-05-2005, 09:30 PM
Is Joe Montana starting for Marty?

No, you say.

Then my answer is that Martyocre follows form and the Chargers lose to the Jets on a last minute game winning drive and FG.

Of course there will be a fumble, or int, or bad call by the officials that everyone will point to and say that if that hadn't happened, then Martyocre and the Chargers would have won.

Count Alex's Losses
01-05-2005, 09:30 PM
I think the Chiefs have an excellent chance of winning this weekend. I don't think the Colts are going to be able to hang with the Chiefs.

The game is more than likely going to be a wet soggy affair. Marshall Faulk is the rushing title holder and he and their O-line are going to have to have a damn good game to overcome the Chiefs Defense.

Both defenses are pretty good against the run. Chiefs are 3rd in the NFL and Colts are 5th.

I realize that anything can happen in the playoffs but I think its a Chiefs win.

Mile High Mania
01-05-2005, 09:31 PM
He should win the game, but with Marty should seem to become should've way too often.

Excellent Point! The Jets should invite Elway to be a sideline guest just for the sake of "flashbacks".

Count Alex's Losses
01-05-2005, 09:31 PM
The Colts have played kinda flat... the passing game hasn't been there really all year and it's been all Faulk.

The Chiefs can stop the run really well and they shouldn't have issues stopping the Colts passing attack. @ Kansas City... it's a win for the Chiefs.

Chiefs Pantalones
01-05-2005, 09:32 PM
I think they have as good a shot as anyone this weekend, but I just think the Jets will win. I hope he wins, but I doubt it...it's a Marty coached team we're talking about.

milkman
01-05-2005, 09:33 PM
I hope so, he deserves to win the trophy. Is Greg Hill still the real deal?

Why?

Marty deserves exactly what he's gotten, and no more.

As fans of the Chiefs, we, however, never deserved that Martyorcre brand of football that he, and his Chiefs teams gave us when the playoffs got underway.

HemiEd
01-05-2005, 09:37 PM
Why?

Marty deserves exactly what he's gotten, and no more.

As fans of the Chiefs, we, however, never deserved that Martyorcre brand of football that he, and his Chiefs teams gave us when the playoffs got underway.

If you got my Greg Hill sarcasm I was saying basically the same thing. However, if you will recall, before Marty Ball came to KC we had a 150 year drought of not making the playoffs. So he did move the bar up, and so has Dick Vermiel in my opinion. We fans are never happy, if we do win the thing in my lifetime again, we will just want another one!

2bikemike
01-05-2005, 09:37 PM
I think they have as good a shot as anyone this weekend, but I just think the Jets will win. I hope he wins, but I doubt it...it's a Marty coached team we're talking about.

Personally I hope they lose. Its bad enough all these bandwagon fans decked out in their brand new Charger gear are talking smack about my Chiefs, but if they go far in the playoffs it will be absolutely unbearable.

Skip Towne
01-05-2005, 09:38 PM
Well, if you tune to this channel very often you will know Marty can't win a playoff game. The geniouses say so. One of them has gone so far as to have already formulated his response if Marty wins: "I'll be even more pissed off if he wins there when he didn't here". Talk about covering all bases. :LOL: Seriously though, Marty has a young team that is still getting better. They won't go far this year but with their wealth of draft picks and cap space will be a force to be reckoned with in the near future. I'd love to trade our entire franchise for theirs right now. I'd even throw in GoChiefs.

2bikemike
01-05-2005, 09:43 PM
Well, if you tune to this channel very often you will know Marty can't win a playoff game. The geniouses say so. One of them has gone so far as to have already formulated his response if Marty wins: "I'll be even more pissed off if he wins there when he didn't here". Talk about covering all bases. :LOL: Seriously though, Marty has a young team that is still getting better. They won't go far this year but with their wealth of draft picks and cap space will be a force to be reckoned with in the near future. I'd love to trade our entire franchise for theirs right now. I'd even throw in GoChiefs.

Yeah if you look how they are positioned for the next few years they are in a great position.

Then take a look at us and you think "Were Fugged" We have a coaching staff that will be around 1 more year. We need to totally revamp the defense. And our offense is going to start disintegrating very soon. I would be surprised if Roaf and Shields play anymore than next year.

milkman
01-05-2005, 09:44 PM
If you got my Greg Hill sarcasm I was saying basically the same thing. However, if you will recall, before Marty Ball came to KC we had a 150 year drought of not making the playoffs. So he did move the bar up, and so has Dick Vermiel in my opinion. We fans are never happy, if we do win the thing in my lifetime again, we will just want another one!

Sorry.
I did miss the sarcasm.

Yes, Marty did raise the bar, and I do actually appreciate that aspect of his time in KC.

But, IMO, Dick hasn't raised the bar any since he came to KC.
In fact he's lowered it from Marty's days, and as much as I dislike Marty, I think I've come to despise Dick even more.

Chiefs Pantalones
01-05-2005, 09:50 PM
Personally I hope they lose. Its bad enough all these bandwagon fans decked out in their brand new Charger gear are talking smack about my Chiefs, but if they go far in the playoffs it will be absolutely unbearable.

I don't think you have anything to be concerned about. They'll lose this weekend.

HemiEd
01-05-2005, 09:53 PM
Sorry.
I did miss the sarcasm.

Yes, Marty did raise the bar, and I do actually appreciate that aspect of his time in KC.

In fact he's lowered it from Marty's days, and as much as I dislike Marty, I think I've come to despise Dick even more.

Wow, I really do think DV has done a "light years" better job. Here is why, and I know from reading this site that not many people agree with me. In fact, most of them like bashing the senile old fart.

1) his leadership is by the book, he does not show up his players unless they are a punter, (LJ was an exception because he did not want him)
kind of a senile slip anyway, he did not intend to say it, it just slipped out.

2) He has put only " high character" players on this team. You no longer have the Risons, McGlocktons and Dan Williams sucking the very life out of this team. It will make a difference, if it is given proper time!

3) He supports the earn it you get it thoery. That makes the guys work hard all the way through the process. He does not bring in people in front of someone that has busted their ass trying to learn the system and program.

this is all very successful stuff he is doing and will work, trust me! I am very proud that we are rid of the darn thugs and "me-first" jerks!

Deberg_1990
01-05-2005, 09:55 PM

We did make the playoffs once in 1986 with Mackovicball

Mile High Mania
01-05-2005, 09:58 PM
hemied... are you content with 34-30 in 4 years... only 1 season over 8 wins? Is that light years?

And, what exactly is "proper time"?

Skip Towne
01-05-2005, 10:00 PM
Sorry.
I did miss the sarcasm.

You are just laughable and not to be taken seriously.

HemiEd
01-05-2005, 10:02 PM
We did make the playoffs once in 1986 with Mackovicball

And if memory serves me, the next year the inmates ran the asylem and ran him off. They then got Frank Ganz to be the head coach because all of the players liked him (similar to the Gunther thing) and they became pathetic again? This is just from memory, but I think it is pretty accurate.

milkman
01-05-2005, 10:02 PM
You are just laughable and not to be taken seriously.

Yeah, I love you too.

HemiEd
01-05-2005, 10:10 PM
hemied... are you content with 34-30 in 4 years... only 1 season over 8 wins? Is that light years?

And, what exactly is "proper time"?

You know, I think I am actually starting to respect you even though I hate the fugging Donkeys!

Here is my answer: I have one hell of a lot of patience and loyalty when I believe things are right. I think DVs first year was a "clean house" year of the thugs that he inherited. He absorbed Dead Cap from a lot of players. In fact, I remember a pretty accurate quote. "I do not know what Dan Williams wants to do."

The Second Year, first really was 8-8. The third, should have won it all but we were unlucky was 13-3. Who would have thunk that the defense would have sucked so bad in the second half of the season. I think they just got lazy.

This year, I actually thought the game was fixed at times. I saw more penalties called on our DBs than any other team, And yet, they literally mugged our WRs!

So there you have it, I am a Chiefs Fan Donkey Man!

Deberg_1990
01-05-2005, 10:12 PM
And if memory serves me, the next year the inmates ran the asylem and ran him off. They then got Frank Ganz to be the head coach because all of the players liked him (similar to the Gunther thing) and they became pathetic again? This is just from memory, but I think it is pretty accurate.

Yea, from what I remember that was pretty much it. I was only 15 or 16 though at the time so my memory is foggy some. I just remember that our special teams that year, run by Frank Ganz won some big games down the stretch that year that propelled us into the playoffs. So natually everyone thought that Ganz woud make a good head coach as well.....how wrong they were..

Mile High Mania
01-05-2005, 10:14 PM
You know, I think I am actually starting to respect you even though I hate the fugging Donkeys!

Here is my answer: I have one hell of a lot of patience and loyalty when I believe things are right. I think DVs first year was a "clean house" year of the thugs that he inherited. He absorbed Dead Cap from a lot of players. In fact, I remember a pretty accurate quote. "I do not know what Dan Williams wants to do."

The Second Year, first really was 8-8. The third, should have won it all but we were unlucky was 13-3. Who would have thunk that the defense would have sucked so bad in the second half of the season. I think they just got lazy.

This year, I actually thought the game was fixed at times. I saw more penalties called on our DBs than any other team, And yet, they literally mugged our WRs!

So there you have it, I am a Chiefs Fan Donkey Man!

I hear ya... but, this is the final year... with no real direction. I see a train to nowhere with KC in 2005.

HemiEd
01-05-2005, 10:15 PM
Yea, from what I remember that was pretty much it. I was only 15 or 16 though at the time so my memory is foggy some. I just remember that our special teams that year, run by Frank Ganz won some big games down the stretch that year that propelled us into the playoffs. So natually everyone thought that Ganz woud make a good head coach as well.....how wrong they were..

Yeah, it was as close to mutiny in sports as I have ever seen. But who was going to complain, it had been so long since we had been to the playoffs! What a let down the next year was!

HemiEd
01-05-2005, 10:21 PM
I hear ya... but, this is the final year... with no real direction. I see a train to nowhere with KC in 2005.

You are only dreaming because you are a Donkey, the Chiefs have a plan and a program. They have leadership, something the Jackasses don't even understand! You are obviously an educated Donkey so you know this is true. The reason that you hang with the Chiefs is that you know the Donkeys are totally without direction. You are probably just a closet Chiefs fan and are afraid to admit it. We understand, go ahead and come clean with it! :thumb:

HemiEd
01-05-2005, 10:28 PM

You are thinking about it arn't you! After 13000 plus Donkey posts this newbee has you close to coming clean. You like the Chiefs better don't you! Go ahead, you will feel better after words, admit it. :p

OldTownChief
01-05-2005, 10:30 PM
I don't hate Marty and wish him well in the playoffs.

HemiEd
01-05-2005, 10:32 PM

I laugh out loud every time I see your Donkey Play book deal! ROFL

2bikemike
01-05-2005, 10:49 PM

I don't hate Marty either and would not mind him doing well if he were anywhere else other than the AFCW. I flat out hate Denver and Oakland. I just don't like to see the Chargers do better than us.

Wile_E_Coyote
01-05-2005, 11:02 PM
Warning, this may be painful to view: Shotty Shitty in January
http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/F/FBN_MARTYS_MISFORTUNES?SITE=FLTAM&SECTION=SPORTS

Deberg_1990
01-05-2005, 11:29 PM
Warning, this may be painful to view: Shotty Shitty in January
http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/F/FBN_MARTYS_MISFORTUNES?SITE=FLTAM&SECTION=SPORTS

This is interesting:

"Schottenheimer's last playoff game was after the 1997 season, and again Elway ended his season, 14-10 in Kansas City.

Linebacker Donnie Edwards, now in his third year with the Chargers, remembers well the Chiefs collapsing against another wild-card team after again going 13-3.

"All of a sudden we lost to the Broncos and everyone's just sitting there stunned like, 'Season's over, what do we do now?' " Edwards said.

Edwards admits the Chiefs probably overlooked the Broncos, who went on to win the Super Bowl."

WTF?? How could we have overlooked the Broncs that year??? No wonder Shittyheimer has such bad luck.

Nzoner
01-06-2005, 12:05 AM
This year, I actually thought the game was fixed at times.

Have I got a book for you....well actually I loaned it to Russ.

Nzoner
01-06-2005, 12:23 AM
I don't hate Marty either and would not mind him doing well if he were anywhere else other than the AFCW. I flat out hate Denver and Oakland. I just don't like to see the Chargers do better than us.

Although I only lived in San Diego for a year I can recall what it was like being a KC fan,however,unlike you I didn't have to deal with either team being great because it was the year Denver went to Super Bowl XXII and got their asses handed to them by Doug Williams and the Washington Redskins in San Diego.

That being said,I think Marty's Chargers will defeat the Jets and I wish him the best and will be pulling for him as long as possible.

The next round should be quite interesting as Cowher and Schottenheimer possibly face off again.

2bikemike
01-06-2005, 12:29 AM
Although I only lived in San Diego for a year I can recall what it was like being a KC fan,however,unlike you I didn't have to deal with either team being great because it was the year Denver went to Super Bowl XXII and got their asses handed to them by Doug Williams and the Washington Redskins in San Diego.

That being said,I think Marty's Chargers will defeat the Jets and I wish him the best and will be pulling for him as long as possible.

The next round should be quite interesting as Cowher and Schottenheimer possibly face off again.

Yeah the 2nd weekend is going to be much better than the first. I look for the Chargers and Indy to advance. I think the Chargers lose round 2 and I am not sure about Indy yet. Their lack of defense will be there downfall in either week 2 or the Conf. Championship game.

Nzoner
01-06-2005, 12:49 AM
Yeah the 2nd weekend is going to be much better than the first. I look for the Chargers and Indy to advance. I think the Chargers lose round 2 and I am not sure about Indy yet. Their lack of defense will be there downfall in either week 2 or the Conf. Championship game.

Seeing the donks get embarrassed for a 2nd straight year at Indy would make week 1 a highlight of the play-offs for me.

2bikemike
01-06-2005, 12:52 AM
Seeing the donks get embarrassed for a 2nd straight year at Indy would make week 1 a highlight of the play-offs for me.

You and about 95% of this board I would believe.

Mile High Mania
01-06-2005, 07:01 AM
You are only dreaming because you are a Donkey, the Chiefs have a plan and a program. They have leadership, something the Jackasses don't even understand! You are obviously an educated Donkey so you know this is true. The reason that you hang with the Chiefs is that you know the Donkeys are totally without direction. You are probably just a closet Chiefs fan and are afraid to admit it. We understand, go ahead and come clean with it! :thumb:

Nope. I just go way back... this is a fun board, but even after 5 years of posting here and at the star, I still proudly wave the Broncos' flag.

Mile High Mania
01-06-2005, 07:04 AM
You and about 95% of this board I would believe.

I've never denied that it will take many things going well for Denver in order to win. That being said - if Denver loses, I will try to log on to the site, but am guessing it will be in lockdown thanks to KC fans littering the board with anti-Broncos' propaganda.

It will be like Xmas for some of you...

KCTitus
01-06-2005, 07:12 AM
I think it really depends on whether or not Marty does what he did in KC which was pull out the Super Secret Playoff Playbook that has plays that the team has never before practiced or if he sticks with what got them to the playoffs.

If SD comes out looking like the keystone kops, Marty's pulled the SSPP.

Baby Lee
01-06-2005, 07:25 AM
I think it really depends on whether or not Marty does what he did in KC which was pull out the Super Secret Playoff Playbook that has plays that the team has never before practiced or if he sticks with what got them to the playoffs.

If SD comes out looking like the keystone kops, Marty's pulled the SSPP.
If you could help me with my indoctrination. Is Martyball doomed to regular season success and playoff failure because he is inflexible and his philosophy is good enough to beat regular teams, but not playoff teams? Or is it doomed to failure because he abandons his successful regular season philosophy for some batsh!t crazy new philosophy in the playoffs?

KCTitus
01-06-2005, 07:36 AM
If you could help me with my indoctrination. Is Martyball doomed to regular season success and playoff failure because he is inflexible and his philosophy is good enough to beat regular teams, but not playoff teams? Or is it doomed to failure because he abandons his successful regular season philosophy for some batsh!t crazy new philosophy in the playoffs?

This is no indoctrination...it has been confirmed by players of those playoff teams of both KC and Cleveland that Marty inserted new plays that they had never practiced until the week prior to the playoff game and he called defenses that they had never used.

Im sorry you werent aware of this.

Mile High Mania
01-06-2005, 07:40 AM
Martyball could have worked the 1 year in Cleveland, had Byner not fumbled on the 1 yard line.

Or, the previous year, had the defense not decided to let Elway go 98 yards towards the Dawg Pound for the TD to send to OT.

Baby Lee
01-06-2005, 07:43 AM
This is no indoctrination...it has been confirmed by players of those playoff teams of both KC and Cleveland that Marty inserted new plays that they had never practiced until the week prior to the playoff game and he called defenses that they had never used.

Im sorry you werent aware of this.
Oh, I'm well aware. Just wanting some exposition. So, FTR, from your POV, Schottenheimer sucks in the playoffs because he diverts from his regular season ways?

KCTitus
01-06-2005, 07:45 AM
Martyball could have worked the 1 year in Cleveland, had Byner not fumbled on the 1 yard line.

Or, the previous year, had the defense not decided to let Elway go 98 yards towards the Dawg Pound for the TD to send to OT.

While those games are now whittled down to those single events, during an interview on Fox Sports Radio's now defunt Mark Patrick Show about his days in Cleveland, Kosar admitted that Marty had changed the playbook (offense and defense) for those games and it caused a bit of confusion...while he didnt blame Marty, he did say that it created a lot of confusion and led to breakdowns in play.

KCTitus
01-06-2005, 07:47 AM
Oh, I'm well aware. Just wanting some exposition. So, FTR, from your POV, Schottenheimer sucks in the playoffs because he diverts from his regular season ways?

If divert means changing the playbook for the playoffs, then yes. Maybe you didnt read my initial post where I stated that his success this year is dependent upon whether he sticks with what got him there to begin with or if he opens the SSPP like he did in his previous dozen years or so of playoff attempts.

Baby Lee
01-06-2005, 07:53 AM
If divert means changing the playbook for the playoffs, then yes. Maybe you didnt read my initial post where I stated that his success this year is dependent upon whether he sticks with what got him there to begin with or if he opens the SSPP like he did in his previous dozen years or so of playoff attempts.
Just wanted to make sure. I'm sure you're aware of the contingent on here whose stance is that Martyball is doomed because he refuses to open it up in the playoffs. And considering both contingents simultaneously raises the notion of "damned if you do, damned if you don't." That's all.

HemiEd
01-06-2005, 09:22 AM
Nope. I just go way back... this is a fun board, but even after 5 years of posting here and at the star, I still proudly wave the Broncos' flag.

I am looking forward to "Shaggaham" getting dumped after the Colts humiliate the Donkeys again this year. If he plays his cards right, the Niners job might still be available if it happens quick enough. :p

Chiefnj
01-06-2005, 09:28 AM
Marty has had his share of bad luck in the playoffs, even when coaching the Chiefs.

A BS holding call moves the ball back 10 yards and Lowery comes up 2 yards short straight down the middle against Miami.

Todd McNair drops an easy TD pass in Buffalo and then the next play (I think it was the next play) Montana's head bounces off the turf and he is out.

There were other games where the Chiefs were clearly outplayed, outcoached, etc., but some of the losses arose from a single key play.

htismaqe
01-06-2005, 09:49 AM
Marty has had his share of bad luck in the playoffs, even when coaching the Chiefs.

A BS holding call moves the ball back 10 yards and Lowery comes up 2 yards short straight down the middle against Miami.

Todd McNair drops an easy TD pass in Buffalo and then the next play (I think it was the next play) Montana's head bounces off the turf and he is out.

There were other games where the Chiefs were clearly outplayed, outcoached, etc., but some of the losses arose from a single key play.

Some of those losses arose because the coaching staff put us in a position to be beaten by a single key play.

And yes, if Marty does win it all this season, I am going to be bitter. If he'd have been willing here to make the concessions he's made in San Diego, we might be talking about the Chiefs as THE team of the late 90's instead of the Broncos...

Predarat
01-06-2005, 10:09 AM
Everyone is saying this is a 'new' Marty. Where have we heard that before? Ill believe it when I see it in the playoffs. I still think the Chargers will win but wouldnt be surprised in the slightest if Bozo the Chokenheimer rears his ugly head. The Chargers are not the Chiefs anyways so IDGF if he blows the game. Ill be pulling for him though.

sd4chiefs
01-06-2005, 10:21 AM

A year ago everyone in this city was wanting Marty to be fired or were hoping that the Chargers would move out of town. Now when I turn on the radio or TV its all about how everyone just loves the Chargers and everyone is a big Charger fan.

SAN DIEGO SUPER BANDWAGONERS, SAN DIEGO SUPER BANDWAGONERS.

:Lin: :Lin: :Lin: nlm nlm 4321 4321

Predarat
01-06-2005, 10:41 AM
Correct me if I am wrong but the man won a grand total of three playoff games in KC, two because Joe Montana kept him from choking and one because Marajuanavich was the QB for Oakland and must have been hallucinating because he kept throwing the ball directly to the KC Chiefs. If just about any other QB had been in there for any of those three wins, (but they wouldn't have gone to Houston anyways if they had lost to Pitz) he wouldnt have won a single playoff game here. Well maybe the Radahs game because Jay Scrodum was their other QB.

Chiefnj
01-06-2005, 10:47 AM
Correct me if I am wrong but the man won a grand total of three playoff games in KC, two because Joe Montana kept him from choking and one because Marajuanavich was the QB for Oakland and must have been hallucinating because he kept throwing the ball directly to the KC Chiefs. If just about any other QB had been in there for any of those three wins, (but they wouldn't have gone to Houston anyways if they had lost to Pitz) he wouldnt have won a single playoff game here. Well maybe the Radahs game because Jay Scrodum was their other QB.

...and the Chiefs have won how many playoff games since Marty left? How many playoff appearances?

Hog Farmer
01-06-2005, 10:57 AM
Martys got one thing he never ever had with the Chiefs. A Quarterback and a running back. He made the chiefs a great defense but never had anything to work with in offense. He could go all the way and I think he deserves it.

Predarat
01-06-2005, 10:58 AM
...and the Chiefs have won how many playoff games since Marty left? How many playoff appearances?
Dont get me wrong Im pulling for Marty, he pulled this francise out of the dulldrums and I appreciate that. And they havent done shit since he has been here except another 13-3 and out season.

HC_Chief
01-06-2005, 10:59 AM
I'll give you two reasons why Marty's Bolts will win this weekend: Herm Edwards and Paul Hackett. BOTH are as conservative as Marty ever was. NEITHER seem to have shed their conservative philosophy, whereas Marty appears to have shed his.

Brock
01-06-2005, 11:02 AM
5-11 lifetime in the playoffs. I'd say the odds are against him.

KCTitus
01-06-2005, 11:14 AM
Just wanted to make sure. I'm sure you're aware of the contingent on here whose stance is that Martyball is doomed because he refuses to open it up in the playoffs. And considering both contingents simultaneously raises the notion of "damned if you do, damned if you don't." That's all.

I guess it depends on your usage of 'Martyball' -- in my experiences with it in 1995 and 1997, it meant opening up the SSPP and getting away from what was successful in the regular season.

sd4chiefs
01-06-2005, 11:46 AM
Martys got one thing he never ever had with the Chiefs. A Quarterback and a running back. He made the chiefs a great defense but never had anything to work with in offense. He could go all the way and I think he deserves it.

I believe he had Joe Montana and Marcus Allen and we still found a way to lose. :cuss:

HC_Chief
01-06-2005, 11:47 AM
I believe he had Joe Montana and Marcus Allen in 95 and we still found a way to lose. :cuss:

No Montana in '95. Bono.

chileanbolt
01-06-2005, 11:47 AM
I can garauntee you guys that martyball will not show up. That was our #1 worry before this week started but Marty said this has been a year of change and I see Marty letting Brees air it out to open up the run. I know what he has done in the past and past records but this seasons has been very unconventional to say the least.

Abraham looks like he might not play this weekend for them so that gives Brees a little more time. McCardell is back and PArker is coming into his own. Jets on the other hand are dependant on the run and we have done fairly well against the run to say the least.

Martin will get yards but as anyone has seen the Jets havent been putting points on the board with their offense. They are dependant on TO's and special teams. We dont really turn the ball over so it looks like its going to be in Chaddy's hands. His shoulder has limited his strength.

Last factor is the fans. The freagin game sold out in like three hours I couldnt freagin believe it. Should be a good hard nosed game but I see my bolts pulling it out!

GO BOLTS!

sd4chiefs
01-06-2005, 11:48 AM
No Montana in '95. Bono.

opps.

Chiefnj
01-06-2005, 12:22 PM
I was listening to sports radio over lunch here in the NYC area. A majority of the calls were Jet fans complaining about 2 things:

1. Abraham being a wuss and possibly sitting out because he is a free agent and doesn't want to get hurt

and
2. This one, we Chief fans can relate to, everyone is begging Herm Edwards not to let Hackett call the offense this weekend. Hackett is getting roasted.

Brock
01-06-2005, 12:30 PM
2. This one, we Chief fans can relate to, everyone is begging Herm Edwards not to let Hackett call the offense this weekend. Hackett is getting roasted.

I don't understand how guys like Hackett keep finding jobs in the NFL. I think some NFL coaches must not throw out sour milk after taking a swig. They just put it back in the fridge.

Calcountry
01-06-2005, 12:38 PM
I think the Chargers have an excellent chance of winning this weekend. I don't think the Jets are going to be able to hang with Chargers.

The game is more than likely going to be a wet soggy affair. Curtis Martin is the rushing title holder and he and their O-line are going to have to have a damn good game to overcome the Chargers Defense.

Both defenses are pretty good against the run. Chargers are 3rd in the NFL and Jets are 5th.

However pass defense is another story The only team worse than the Chargers are us. The Jets rank 14th.

I realize that anything can happen in the playoffs but I think its a Charger win.
Fug Marty if he does.

Calcountry
01-06-2005, 12:53 PM
He should win the game, but with Marty should seem to become should've way too often when the word "playoffs" is involved.
If the Jets oblige his team with a negative 4 in TO's, his team will win.

Don't get me wrong, the NY Penningtons are not above doing just that.

For the Jets to win, my favorite Martin has to have a big game.

Calcountry
01-06-2005, 01:14 PM
Excellent Point! The Jets should invite Elway to be a sideline guest just for the sake of "flashbacks".
ROFL , heck, he should get to do the coin toss.

Alas, the Chargers have home field.