PDA

View Full Version : CARL PETERSON 2004 FINAL PRESS CONFERENCE

Donger
01-06-2005, 03:54 PM
http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/2005/01/06/carl_peterson_2004_final_press_conference/

Jan 06, 2005, 10:14:10 AM

CARL PETERSON: “In my 16 years here we’ve had four losing seasons. That’s four too many. We’re not here to lose. We’re here to win. It’s a performance business and that performance is based on wins and losses.

“Not because of this season but because we think it’s appropriate, we will not be raising ticket or parking prices for 2005. (Chiefs Freeze Ticket Prices for 2005) I know some people are concerned about that and we want to get that message out so our fans can plan. Our season ticket holders, 72,500 of them, are the best and we sincerely appreciate their loyalty and I know they’ll be back again this year because of who they are and what they are.

“Obviously we did not improve on the defensive side as we had hoped to. We made some conscious decisions to retain seven unrestricted free agents. Ultimately those are my responsibilities and I take full responsibility for those decisions. I, too, like Dick (Vermeil) think that all those players we asked to re-sign with us were worthy. Some performed better than others. Those that didn’t, we’re certainly going to evaluate over the course of the next two or three months.

“But the responsibility begins and lies here, not anywhere else. It is a collective decision certainly with coaches, player personnel and with Dick’s input and yours truly. But the final decision is mine. The one thing we have learned in this business is you are always better to retain your own players. I go back to the guys like Will Shields and David Szott and Brian Waters and Dante Hall and others we have retained and re-signed before their contracts came up because we know more about them than we know about anybody we can bring in here.

“When you bring in an unrestricted free agent the only thing you can evaluate is what you see on the video. You can’t evaluate how they’re going to interact in the locker room, in the class room, in the community. But you do know what you have when you draft and you have someone here for a while. You know about their strengths as well as their weaknesses.

“I concur with Dick on the play of our players on defense. Can they get better? Yes. Do they have to get better? Yes. We all have to get better and particularly on the defensive side of the ball. But once again, those decisions are ultimately mine. I have to take that responsibility and I do. I’m obviously not pleased with what transpired but I do believe with continued coaching these guys will get better.

“We have a challenging 2005 schedule. As you know in the National Football League with 32 teams now and eight four team divisions we play in our division 14 common opponents and two opponents based on how we ended the season. Including Denver twice we end up with seven playoff teams. So, it is challenging. Frankly, a couple of teams on next year’s calendar are ones we played this year including New England. The Patriots may find themselves in the Super Bowl again this year. It’s a great schedule for our fans, particularly the teams we are playing here at home.

“Two areas that Dick didn’t talk about but I think I have to mention that were disturbing or let me put it this way, two of the biggest changes I saw from the ‘03 to ‘04 season were – and it’s not always directly proportionate to winning or losing – penalties where a year ago we were the third least penalized team and this year we were the 11th most penalized. We’re going to look at that, of course, but I think everyone is well aware of the emphasis this year on illegal contact down field. Those numbers of penalties throughout the league are way, way up. It’s something we have to address at the league meetings and with the competition committee. From a personal standpoint, I think illegal contact down field can certainly be five yards but the automatic first down creates an awful lot of problems for a defense, particularly when you’ve got a third-and-long situation and you are penalized for a five-yard infraction and it’s an automatic first down.

“The second area is pretty foreign to the Kansas City Chiefs. Only twice in the last 15 years have we been on the negative side of the giveaway-takeaway. This year we ended up there and that’s not where we want to be. Normally, it’s directly related to winning and losing. The unbelievable exclamation point difference this year is that a playoff team is at a minus 24 in giveaway-takeaway. It’s extraordinary. And, Denver is at a minus nine. Normally those two things: penalties and the giveaway-takeaway ratio equate to winning and losing.

“We had an awfully lot of wonderful offensive records and I salute our offensive staff and our players and coaches for that. But Dick and I said the same thing coming down the elevator: when it’s all said and done and you take all the stats and all we look at – and we’ll look at everything in depth again – there’s only one stat that counts. That’s wins and losses. It’s the easiest thing to evaluate and we lost more than we won this year. So, we’re not happy with that. A year ago at this time we were 13-3 and were pretty darn happy going into the playoffs with a bye week.

“Looking ahead we’re drafting 15 and right now have nine draft choices and we may actually end up with one or two more. I think, very frankly, we will get ourselves a very good football player at the 15th pick. Is he someone who can come in and make an immediate impact? I don’t know yet. But there are those types of players. We’ll do everything we can to find that player as well as the other eight or nine picks and make them all count.

“We will do as we do at this time each year – and the first thing I ask is for our head coach to get out of here and let his emotions vent – is objectively evaluate everything: players, coaching, player personnel. Then we’ll begin to make decisions. The process has already started and we have some players whose contracts are up and are unrestricted free agents: Monty Beisel, Quinton Caver, Derrick Blaylock, Fred Jones.

“We’ll have room under the cap and are trying to create some cap and cash dollars to go out in free agency. The NFL management council tells us, as Dick noted, there’s absolutely no relationship whatsoever between the acquisition and spending on free agents and winning. Zero.

“Let me give you an example of ‘dead’ money this year which I thought was extraordinary. The number one team that squandered money, that paid high signing bonuses to players and then cut them the next year was San Francisco. One-third of their cap, about $33 million dollars, and they were the worst team in the National Football League this year. The second team that spent the most and lost the most in ‘dead’ money was the San Diego Chargers. They were 12-4 and did a magnificent job. So there’s no relationships there either. We have to find the key that’s appropriate for the Kansas City Chiefs. We’ve done some right things in the past and we’ve also done some wrong things. But we refer to retain our own because we know what they can, their strengths and weaknesses.

“Finally, on behalf of Lamar Hunt and the Kansas City Chiefs organization we want to say thank you to you, the media, and to the great, great fans who have supported us and continue to support us. Lamar is very proud and should be that we have season ticket holders in 48 states, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico and St. Croix. Plus, we’ve got an awful lot of fans as well as season ticket holders right now in the armed forces because they come through Fort Reilly and Fort Leavenworth that tune in and cheer for us from Iraq and Afghanistan.

Q: Dick indicated that the defensive evaluation would start with the backs and move forward. Can we expect that the secondary would be the position group where there would be the greatest turnover?

PETERSON: “I’m not going to talk about turnover, but it’s certainly a position we’re going to look at strongly in the draft as well as free agency. Let’s remember in free agency, too, those guys that are right now designated as unrestricted free agents may not be there on March 2nd, the first day of free agency, because usually if they’re good football players they’re going to be retained by their own teams.

“But, I think we all concur we need to play better there and would like to see if the players we have there will and can continue to get better. We’ll address that.”

Q: Can you give us the general overview of your salary cap situation?

PETERSON: “The cap was raised this year by a couple of million dollars. Basically for player compensation, I think, it’s at $85.5 million dollars. At this point we’re certainly below that to the point that we can retain the players that we have are unrestricted free agency, can put tenders on the restricted free agents, and be under the cap on the first day of free agency which you have to do. Then, depending on what we want to do with the some veteran guys, we have some room to sign some players who are unrestricted free agents. Also, remember that every one of our draft choices has to fit under that cap also. The key is to be ready to go with 53-people, an injured reserve amount, and a full eight man developmental squad by September 1st.”

Q: How far away is this team from being a playoff team or a division champion?

PETERSON: “Last year we won the division. I think we can win the division in 2005.

“I had a nice long chat with Will Shields yesterday as I spoke to all our five pro bowlers before they left. Will didn’t mention anything to me about even thinking about retirement. But I can’t predict the future. I’m fully anticipating, and I believe someone wrote in the paper, that Willie Roaf came out and said he’s definitely coming back. I can’t imagine him coming back without Will Shields, very frankly. But I’m anticipating they’re all going to be back. I’m speaking of the offensive side first.

“You know, I agree with Dick, on hearsay and innuendo. We signed Priest Holmes two years ago and, in fact, have his option bonus this year. The option bonus is the second part of the signing bonus. It’s $10 million dollars. If the player wants to retire then he’s required to pay the unearned portion of the signing bonus. I think when Priest Holmes signed his contract he knew that and knows that today. He has no intention whatsoever of retiring. I’m hopeful, and I’m going to say something that Dick and I haven’t discussed yet, that Larry Johnson can take some of the load off Priest next year by carrying the job. I’m pretty excited about having Larry Johnson and Priest Holmes in the backfield with an offensive line where three guys are going to the Pro Bowl.

“To answer the question before it’s asked: I have intention of trading Larry Johnson and I have no idea that Priest Holmes is not going to be here or even contemplating retirement. In my discussions with Priest over the last few weeks he’s very excited about the 2005 season and very anxious to get to it. He didn’t accomplish some things he wanted to accomplish this year. I don’t know of any player who has said he’s contemplating retirement.”

Q: Carl, you said you’re ultimately responsible for re-signing of the free agents. Was that a mistake on your part then?

PETERSON: “I take the responsibility that we did not improve on defense and, obviously, to do that these players have to play better. If you want to call it a mistake, you can make that decision yourself.”

Q: But do you think it’s a mistake?

PETERSON: Candidly, I’d like to give them one more year. When we signed them it’s more than just a one year commitment. It’s pretty drastic to sign them and then throw them out the next year. Now, you’re going to start eating a lot of dead money. Can some of these guys play better? I’m sure they can. One guy played in the Pro Bowl a year ago – a defensive player. With injury or whatever reasons, he didn’t play at the same level this year. He didn’t finish the season.

“To me, once you make a commitment to a player it’s not a one-year deal and I’d like to see the full extent of that. Maybe it’s something like when you draft a player. I’ve always said I think it takes at least three years before you can really accurately evaluate a drafted player specifically to the amount of opportunities he gets to perform.

“I take the responsibility to be sure. Every player signing, released, traded, drafted starts and ends with me. I accept that responsibility and we’ll do everything we can to get better this year.”

Q: How concerned are you about public perception and the moves you do make or don’t make. How concerned are you with your fan base?

PETERSON: “I would like to think that our fan base, which is extraordinary and has been built over a number of years, has enough confidence in this organization and the successes that we have had – and in 16 years we’ve had four losing seasons – will believe that what we do is the right thing to do and stay with us and see the fruits one day.

“Four years ago I asked (Dick Vermeil) to join us. He’s the same coach; he’s been to the Super Bowl twice; he’s won it; he took us to 13-3 last year and we won the division. We were back in the playoffs. I think the fans have that confidence in Dick Vermeil and, hopefully, in this organization.

“What I’ve found out is that these are not fair weather fans. These are true loyal people and I would hope they have the faith and confidence that what we’ve done over a course of time has been good. Have we got to where we want to go yet? No. We have not. I believe in the AFC West no one has been in as many playoffs as we have in the last 15 years. What does that mean this year? Doesn’t mean anything because we’re not in the playoffs this year. That’s always our first goal and I think with the exception of Sunday (vs. San Diego) we played every game hard, close, and if we would have won on Sunday we would had a record equal to the best among AFC West teams. To me, that’s always where it begins. You’ve got to win within your division first and go from there.”

Q: You mentioned penalties and turnovers. How many issues with penalties and turnovers are correctable and how many just depend on the luck of the bounce?

PETERSON: “Penalties can be misleading. Some penalties lead to sustaining a drive for the opponent and some penalties lead to stopping your drive.”

VERMEIL: “The offensive team going into last week’s game was the 14th most penalized team and the defense was the 29th or 30th most. A year ago we had given up five first downs in an opponent’s scoring drive. This year we had given up 21 going into last week’s game.”

PETERSON: “At one point this year the opponents had fumbled 13 times and we had recovered one. Percentages say you’re going to get more. I’m going to be optimistic and say that next year that’s going to reverse itself. It’s an emphasis: trying to get turnovers and a concentration in trying to hang on to the ball. We’re 16 less in turnovers this year.

“Then you have the extraordinary circumstances in the NFC of two 8-8 teams that are in the playoffs and one of them is at a minus 24. That’s unbelievable and Denver, too, at minus nine. Most of the time the top teams in the giveaway-takeaway ratio are your playoff teams.”

Q: Do you see the window closing and this off-season becoming more important, and do you go into it with a different mindset?

PETERSON: “Let me say this: everyone in this organization including the president and general manager is on the last year of their contract.”

Dartgod
01-06-2005, 03:57 PM
...we will not be raising ticket or parking prices for 2005.
Smart move.

Donger
01-06-2005, 04:00 PM
PETERSON: “I take the responsibility that we did not improve on defense and, obviously, to do that these players have to play better. If you want to call it a mistake, you can make that decision yourself.”

PETERSON: Candidly, I’d like to give them one more year.

WTF does that mean?

CanadaKC
01-06-2005, 04:01 PM
To answer the question before it’s asked: I have intention of trading Larry Johnson is that a typo?

Nightfyre
01-06-2005, 04:10 PM
I have intention of trading Larry Johnson and I have no idea that Priest Holmes is not going to be here or even contemplating retirement.
whatever that means....

ChiefsOne
01-06-2005, 04:11 PM
I am not sure if he meant he "had intentions" or he has intentions to do so now. Reads like he is going to, but guess we will have to wait and see.

Dartgod
01-06-2005, 04:13 PM
I am not sure if he meant he "had intentions" or he has intentions to do so now. Reads like he is going to, but guess we will have to wait and see.
No. I'm pretty sure that's a typo. It should read...

To answer the question before it’s asked: I have [no] intention of trading Larry Johnson...

htismaqe
01-06-2005, 04:15 PM
I heard the presser on the radio...he DEFINITELY said "I have NO intentions of trading Larry Johnson".

tk13
01-06-2005, 04:23 PM

PETERSON: Candidly, I’d like to give them one more year.

WTF does that mean?
His ego would like to give it another shot to prove he was right, but he knows the fans and players aren't going to find that acceptable and even he says he knows that this is the last hurrah so he can't hold anything back this offseason...

Raiderhader
01-06-2005, 04:25 PM
Smart move.

Extremely.

HC_Chief
01-06-2005, 04:27 PM
He said a lot of the right things and took responsibility for his actions... applause for that.

He pissed me off when he started trotting out the "We've been to more playoff games than anyone else in the division" shit. Yeah Carl, you HAVE - and you have the fewest playoff wins as well. This team hasn't done jack shit in forever. EVERY team in our division has been to the SB at least once in the past 15 seasons. The closest we've been is the AFCC - and that was in 1993... and we got blown-out. :grr:

The fanbase has confidence in ONE thing: you'll do just enough to improve marginally so that we'll make the playoffs, but lose. It's a recurring theme and I for one am pretty f*cking sick of it.

Dr. Facebook Fever
01-06-2005, 04:42 PM
To answer the question before it’s asked: I have intention of trading Larry Johnson is that a typo?
I think it was suppossed to say "no intentions." I think. He talked later about being excited at having Larry there to take some of the load off of Priest.

brent102fire
01-06-2005, 04:42 PM
“When you bring in an unrestricted free agent the only thing you can evaluate is what you see on the video. You can’t evaluate how they’re going to interact in the locker room, in the class room, in the community. But you do know what you have when you draft and you have someone here for a while. You know about their strengths as well as their weaknesses.

OK Carl, maybe the Chiefs shouldn't participate the the Draft either. After all, the only thing you can evaluate is what you see on the video...

What a F*ckin' dumbass :shake: :mad: :cuss: :banghead:

Dr. Facebook Fever
01-06-2005, 04:43 PM
He said a lot of the right things and took responsibility for his actions... applause for that.

For that I actually gained some degree of repect for him.

Calcountry
01-06-2005, 05:19 PM

He pissed me off when he started trotting out the "We've been to more playoff games than anyone else in the division" shit. Yeah Carl, you HAVE - and you have the fewest playoff wins as well. This team hasn't done jack shit in forever. EVERY team in our division has been to the SB at least once in the past 15 seasons. The closest we've been is the AFCC - and that was in 1993... and we got blown-out. :grr:

The fanbase has confidence in ONE thing: you'll do just enough to improve marginally so that we'll make the playoffs, but lose. It's a recurring theme and I for one am pretty f*cking sick of it.
Here fuggin here! :clap:

I have said this before, it would take 19 shutout victories to wash all the venom towards the rest of the NFL that is stored up in my soul.

brent102fire
01-06-2005, 05:34 PM
Sounds like CP wants to have the same Defensive players next year. I don't like the fact that he said the players they re-signed last year need to get more than one year to show they can play. Looks like Burntee, McCleon, Hicks etc...will be back next year. :shake: :mad: :cuss: :banghead:

Otter
01-06-2005, 05:44 PM
Go away Peterson, just leave.

He's like that guest that can't get the hint that the parties over and when he stands up to finally leave he gives the "whoa, I've had too much to drink, mind if I crash on your couch for the night?".

Bah.

Chief Henry
01-06-2005, 05:50 PM

AMEN to that... rep

go bowe
01-06-2005, 05:53 PM
Sounds like CP wants to have the same Defensive players next year. I don't like the fact that he said the players they re-signed last year need to get more than one year to show they can play. Looks like Burntee, McCleon, Hicks etc...will be back next year. :shake: :mad: :cuss: :banghead::huh: :( :deevee:

OldTownChief
01-06-2005, 06:33 PM
Sounds like CP wants to have the same Defensive players next year. I don't like the fact that he said the players they re-signed last year need to get more than one year to show they can play. Looks like Burntee, McCleon, Hicks etc...will be back next year. :shake: :mad: :cuss: :banghead:

Exactly what I was thinking when reading it. Look for our 1st few picks to be TE, FB, and Punter.

CanadaKC
01-06-2005, 06:37 PM
He sounds more like a politician than a GM..and that's the most scary part. If you read between the lines...sounds like he ain't doing dick cause he ain't got the balls to screw with his precious excuses of dead money, FA success, and salary cap bullsh!t.

:cuss:

whoman69
01-06-2005, 08:25 PM
Despite Carl saying much of the right things here, I am completely convinced he has lost his ability to find defensive talent and relies on trying to make a diamond necklace out of turdballs. Stop reaching and draft the talent. No more freaking tweeners. Pick the talent in the round they should be drafted in.

Deberg_1990
01-06-2005, 08:59 PM

Right On Brotha!!

Logical
01-06-2005, 09:00 PM
PETERSON: “I would like to think that our fan base, which is extraordinary and has been built over a number of years, has enough confidence in this organization and the successes that we have had – and in 16 years we’ve had four losing seasons – will believe that what we do is the right thing to do and stay with us and see the fruits one day.

Well jackass you are wrong, we don't trust you, we don't have faith in you, and we pretty much believe you are full of shit.

BigChiefFan
01-06-2005, 09:06 PM
Carl didn't even come close to saying all the right things, IMO. The writings on the wall. He wants to give them another year. Isn't FIVE years more than enough time to know what you have in Bartee? How about what you have in Maslowski? I heard Vermeil say, they are hopeful Maslowski can make it back and be a contributer. They've lost it if they think they can do little and catch up to powerhouse teams, by taking the same lame-ass approach as last year. They're either brain-dead morons or they really believe they can polish a turd. 16 years of bullshit is enough for me.

htismaqe
01-07-2005, 08:29 AM
Carl Peterson needs to do the right thing and convince Dick Vermeil to RETIRE.

bricks
01-07-2005, 10:54 AM
Well jackass you are wrong, we don't trust you, we don't have faith in you, and we pretty much believe you are full of shit.

ROFL ROFL I have a feeling your right. But, I hope your wrong.

BigMeatballDave
01-07-2005, 11:10 AM
Q: Do you see the window closing and this off-season becoming more important, and do you go into it with a different mindset? PETERSON: “Let me say this: everyone in this organization including the president and general manager is on the last year of their contract.” I hope this means he's pulling out all the stops...

bricks
01-07-2005, 11:14 AM
Yeah me too. I hope they go all out. F*ck it! Get Gun's coaches in here! Go nuts on FA. Use an entire draft on defense, f*ck anything else. And screw what DV has to say!