PDA

View Full Version : DV blames the schedule...not the players

brent102fire
01-06-2005, 05:13 PM
Q: You’ve led the league in scoring and total offense. How big a missed opportunity has this been?

VERMEIL: “Like I said last year: it’s schedule, schedule, schedule, schedule. Any time you want to sit down and have me prove it to you, I will prove it to you. We won it all (in St. Louis) in ‘99 and played 11 losing teams. Now they weren’t losing teams at the start of the year, no one had lost a game and some of them came out of playoff games the year before, just like Tampa Bay. Nothing guarantees the next year.

http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/2005/01/05/dick_vermeil_final_2005_press_conference/

When is :deevee: going to quit using the schedule as an excuse for losing and start holding his players accountable? This guy is starting to drive me nuts. The Defense f*cking sucks, Period! There needs to be some asses kicked out the door and some FA's brought in. I don't know why he blames their losses on the schedule instead of his crappy ass defense. Absolutely f'n ridiculous!!!! :shake: :cuss: :banghead: :mad:

Phobia
01-06-2005, 05:17 PM
He's a ****ing spin artist. Some people have a glass half full 24/7/365. Sometimes the glass is half empty. Sometimes it's okay to point the finger. I'm kinda sick of his bullshit.

CanadaKC
01-06-2005, 05:30 PM
I blame Chiefsplanet.

Taco John
01-06-2005, 05:31 PM
Schedule? The Cheifs play a near identical schedule with the rest of the AFC West.

siberian khatru
01-06-2005, 05:32 PM
F*ck off, DV.

Deberg_1990
01-06-2005, 05:43 PM
God, what a lame excuse. Funny that the pats didnt have a lame-o schedule last year and look at what happened to them DV??? DV wants this team to be his 1999 Rams its not even funny.

SNR
01-06-2005, 06:04 PM
God, what a lame excuse. Funny that the pats didnt have a lame-o schedule last year and look at what happened to them DV??? DV wants this team to be his 1999 Rams its not even funny.The 03 Chiefs were pretty damn close close to his 1999 Rams team. Both teams in their third year. Both had easy schedules. Both went 13-3. What happened in the end again?

Oh yeah, the _efense :banghead:

Nightfyre
01-06-2005, 06:05 PM
Well dick. Its your last year and you have a hard schedule ahead of you. You better fuggin stand up to the challenge.

DT4everaChief
01-06-2005, 06:14 PM
That is a bunch of crap about the schedule being the reason for the way the season went. If you have a good team the schedule should not matter who you play.

wazu
01-06-2005, 06:16 PM
Fire. Vermeil. Now.

chiefsfolife
01-06-2005, 06:19 PM
huh...our schedule is easy next year

KCJake
01-06-2005, 06:30 PM
This years team was just as good as last years team. A lot of it does come down to schedule. Last years team, 13-3. This year, 7-9. Are you telling me last years team was that much better? No way. Dick is right.

whoman69
01-06-2005, 06:32 PM
Somebody needs to tell DV that defensively our glass was empty. We were beaten by a Carolina team that if they had not won would have begun the season 0-8. We lost to mediocre Tampa Bay, Jacksonville, Houston and New Orleans squads.
We were a bad team because we were an incomplete bad team.

Logical
01-06-2005, 06:41 PM
This years team was just as good as last years team. A lot of it does come down to schedule. Last years team, 13-3. This year, 7-9. Are you telling me last years team was that much better? No way. Dick is right.

We were exposed last year in the playoffs as a pathetic sham of a team. Minnesota and Denver during the season had already made it apparent ahead of time for anyone that was paying attention. We were the same bad team this year as last year. That is the reality.

CanadaKC
01-06-2005, 06:43 PM
I think someone named Dante won us 3 games last year. Let's give him some props for that. Priest Holmes was God. Our D was pathetic...and let's not forget who was in charge of the D.... :Robinson:

brent102fire
01-06-2005, 06:50 PM
Somebody needs to tell DV that defensively our glass was empty. We were beaten by a Carolina team that if they had not won would have begun the season 0-8. We lost to mediocre Tampa Bay, Jacksonville, Houston and New Orleans squads.

Not to mention the Chiefs D made Griese look like Joe Montana :shake:

Logical
01-06-2005, 06:53 PM
I think someone named Dante won us 3 games last year. Let's give him some props for that. Priest Holmes was God. Our D was pathetic...and let's not forget who was in charge of the D.... :Robinson:

I will just remind you Guns defense has actually been worse then GRobs

Gun 435 points allowed
Grob 332 points allowed

Gun 377.3 yards per game allowed
Grob 356.7 yards per game allowed

Gun Turnover forced 20
Grob Turnovers forced 37

In every meaningful category Grob's defense was better than Gunthers.

BigChiefFan
01-06-2005, 08:16 PM
I still respect Vermeil, but he has lost some creditability with me. They have already laid the ground work for sticking with same sorry-ass defenders for what will be 5 years of Vermeil's tenure. They may make some changes, but I don't expect many and I sure as Hell don't expect a player the caliber of Ken Lucas, John Abraham, or Kendrell Bell. After seeing Carl's interview live on television, I saw very clearly, a man who isn't committed to putting the team over the top if it doesn't coincide with still maximizing a healthy profit. Anybody know when renewal letters go out?

Mile High Mania
01-06-2005, 08:21 PM
I think it was more climate...

The Bad Guy
01-06-2005, 10:15 PM
Vermeil is a loser who makes excuses for his failures.

I've seriously had it with him and his bullshit excuses why teams that he fields aren't any good.

You know why he complains about the schedule? Because he can only work his magic every 3 years because his teams typically suck for the 2 years prior.

He's used to having a soft schedule. Well that fits - he's a softie, his defense plays like they are ultra soft, and he expects the fans to buy into his bullshit excuses.

This also points out that the KC media (everyone besides Whitlock) don't have a sack to call him out on all this bullshit. Our division played exactly the same schedule except we played the Ravens and Colts (Both wins) because we won the West last year. But the rest of our 14 games, we played the same opponents as everyone else in our division.

Marty Schottenheimer managed to go 12-4 with a 4-12 team last year playing the same 14 opponents as Vermeil.

I'm sick of it. Why do we expect the defensive players to take responsibility when the head coach won't take any?

Vermeil is a fraud and I will do a jig the day he decides to leave.

Basically, what he is saying is that he can't put together teams good enough to hang with the NFL's elite.

It's really not a mystery to me anymore why our defenses aren't tough enough. It's because our head coach isn't.

Nightfyre
01-06-2005, 10:17 PM
I will just remind you Guns defense has actually been worse then GRobs

Gun 435 points allowed
Grob 332 points allowed

Gun 377.3 yards per game allowed
Grob 356.7 yards per game allowed

Gun Turnover forced 20
Grob Turnovers forced 37

In every meaningful category Grob's defense was better than Gunthers.
Yea, difference was gun has only been here a year and has not had the personnel for his type of defense readily available. Grob was here for 3 years and had the type of players he wanted.

Nightfyre
01-06-2005, 10:17 PM
I will punch DV in the ovary if he doesnt get his shit in a pile.

-edit Anchorman anyone?

Baby Lee
01-07-2005, 06:36 AM
This may officially be the single stupidest thing I've ever heard from a representative of the Chiefs.
Blaming the schedule when you manage to beat the good teams and punk out to the bad teams?

I mean, all I can do is blink, exhale, and shake my head vigorously. But the words are still there.

Is that Toto tugging at DV's pants leg?

Baby Lee
01-07-2005, 06:38 AM
I will punch DV in the ovary if he doesnt get his shit in a pile.

-edit Anchorman anyone?
Why don't you fly back to your home on whore island?

Swanman
01-07-2005, 07:03 AM

That's the point I was about to make. Out of the teams we beat (not including Denver because we split with them), 3 out of 5 had winning records. Out of the teams we lost to, only 3 had winning records not including Denver. We lost to teams that we 5-11, 7-9 and 8-8. If you're a good team, you win at least 2/3 of those games. I would agree with DV if we played and lost to lots of teams with winning records, but that's just not the case. We split games against teams with winning records and lost a lot of games to teams at/under .500. That's not the schedule, that's being an bad, inconsistent team.

Count Zarth
01-07-2005, 07:07 AM
Vermeil's a freaking idiot. We played several bad football teams and LOST TO THEM. WAKE THE HELL UP YOU MORON.

KCTitus
01-07-2005, 07:16 AM
Clearly this is a stupid excuse, it's because DV got rid of Robinson.

Chief Faithful
01-07-2005, 07:46 AM
Change of rules favoring receivers resulted in an NFL record number of 300yard passing games and points scored.
Tougher Schedule
New Scheme
Poor Secondary Coaches and Players
Much Improved D-Line Play
Much Improved Against Run
Higher Defense Ranking

There are a lot of considerations, but bottom line I found this years defense was much easier to watch. I like the new scheme and direction the defense is headed. Give Gun some time and playmakers in the secondary and he will turn the defense around.

htismaqe
01-07-2005, 08:24 AM

I've seriously had it with him and his bullshit excuses why teams that he fields aren't any good.

You know why he complains about the schedule? Because he can only work his magic every 3 years because his teams typically suck for the 2 years prior.

He's used to having a soft schedule. Well that fits - he's a softie, his defense plays like they are ultra soft, and he expects the fans to buy into his bullshit excuses.

This also points out that the KC media (everyone besides Whitlock) don't have a sack to call him out on all this bullshit. Our division played exactly the same schedule except we played the Ravens and Colts (Both wins) because we won the West last year. But the rest of our 14 games, we played the same opponents as everyone else in our division.

Marty Schottenheimer managed to go 12-4 with a 4-12 team last year playing the same 14 opponents as Vermeil.

I'm sick of it. Why do we expect the defensive players to take responsibility when the head coach won't take any?

Basically, what he is saying is that he can't put together teams good enough to hang with the NFL's elite.

It's really not a mystery to me anymore why our defenses aren't tough enough. It's because our head coach isn't.

:bravo:

Nightfyre
01-07-2005, 09:51 AM
Why don't you fly back to your home on whore island?
Yeah, Well you've got bad hair!
Change of rules favoring receivers resulted in an NFL record number of 300yard passing games and points scored.
Tougher Schedule
New Scheme
Poor Secondary Coaches and Players
Much Improved D-Line Play
Much Improved Against Run
Higher Defense Ranking

There are a lot of considerations, but bottom line I found this years defense was much easier to watch. I like the new scheme and direction the defense is headed. Give Gun some time and playmakers in the secondary and he will turn the defense around.

You hit the nail on the head. We have started Guns scheme. We stop the run. We kill the QB. Now if coverage could last 5 seconds, we would really be killing the QB.

Again, look at the rule changes favoring recievers.

bricks
01-07-2005, 10:03 AM

:bravo: :bravo: :bravo: so true, so true.

bricks
01-07-2005, 10:06 AM
Fire. Vermeil. Now.

Won't happen. We're gonna have to wait it out one more year. Peterson won't fire his "good buddy". Neither does he have the balls to. And Lamar, huh?! Yeah right :shake:

BigMeatballDave
01-07-2005, 10:23 AM
4 games.

4 Games decided this season...

The loss in Jax. They handed us that game, and we blew it...
The home loss to Houston. Int. in the EZ...
The loss in Tampa. Turnovers killed us...
The loss in NO. Again, Turnovers...

Those were all very winnable games. 11-5.

Hey, DV. WTF does schedule have to do with shitty play?

Nightfyre
01-07-2005, 10:32 AM
You hit the nail on the head. We have started Guns scheme. We stop the run. We kill the QB. Now if coverage could last 5 seconds, we would really be killing the QB.

Again, look at the rule changes favoring recievers.
To help back this up....

LEAGUE WIDE, there has been an increase in passing yards per game per team....

10 yards. Thats Huge!
10 * 32 teams * 16 games = 5120 Yards! Thats a full 5% increase in passing yards league wide.

Then you take into account that Gun's Scheme requires that you be able to cover downfield while pressuring the QB. You can fault the secondary and DE play for that. there is your increase in passing yards.

Bearcat
01-07-2005, 10:43 AM
Q: You’ve led the league in scoring and total offense. How big a missed opportunity has this been?

VERMEIL: “Like I said last year: it’s schedule, schedule, schedule, schedule. Any time you want to sit down and have me prove it to you, I will prove it to you. We won it all (in St. Louis) in ‘99 and played 11 losing teams. Now they weren’t losing teams at the start of the year, no one had lost a game and some of them came out of playoff games the year before, just like Tampa Bay. Nothing guarantees the next year.

Guess it's not really news, since he has said it quite a few times.

Funny how he doesn't turn it around and think "Well, if we had the worst defense ever last season, how would they do against a tougher schedule?" ..... and then go out and fix the f***ing problem.

Then he implies that a tough schedule on paper in August doesn't mean it'll be tough.... WTF is it all about the schedule then?!?! Once you get into the playoffs, it's tough for everyone..... what was last year's excuse, we weren't battle tested enough? And then as it's been pointed out, the schedule sure as hell wasn't the excuse when we were Carolina's only win in the first half the season, or blowing games against Houston, etc.

Go home, Dick. You don't belong on the sideline anymore. You belong somewhere where you can ramble on about stupid sh*t that has nothing to do with what's in front of you..... like, sitting next to Al Michaels.

BigChiefFan
01-07-2005, 10:55 AM
4 games.

4 Games decided this season...

The loss in Jax. They handed us that game, and we blew it...
The home loss to Houston. Int. in the EZ...
The loss in Tampa. Turnovers killed us...
The loss in NO. Again, Turnovers...

Those were all very winnable games. 11-5.

Hey, DV. WTF does schedule have to do with shitty play?
You hit the nail on the head. :thumb: DV is in denial or doesn't want to admit publically how crappy the defense is.

KCTitus
01-07-2005, 10:59 AM
I dont think those turnovers were the result of the crappy defense...those fumbles/INTs dont happen, KC is up 14 and the game is entirely different--witness Atl, Indy and Denver games.