PDA

View Full Version : "Garfield" dropped from the LA Times

SNR
01-06-2005, 06:29 PM
'L.A. Times' Drops Daily 'Garfield' as the Comic Is Blasted and Praised

By Dave Astor

Published: January 05, 2005 12:50 PM ET

NEW YORK The Los Angeles Times dropped the daily version of "Garfield," the most widely distributed comic in syndication.

"Garfield" has received mixed reviews in recent years, but the Times is one of the few papers to ever dare pull it. Reader reaction? "We are getting complaints," said Jennifer James, a Times editorial aide, but she declined to reveal how many.

The Times dropped the daily "Garfield" effective two days ago -- while keeping the Sunday "Garfield" -- to make room for "Brevity," a new comic by Guy Endore-Kaiser and Rodd Perry of United Media (E&P Online, Dec. 9).

"We're always trying to get some new talent in the comics pages," said James, who did not make the "Garfield" decision.

Gene Weingarten, a humor columnist for The Washington Post and Washington Post Writers Group, praised the Times decision during his weekly washingtonpost.com chat yesterday. He said the paper displayed "the kind of cojones missing in too many places" and described "Garfield" as "a strip produced by a committee, devoid of originality, devoid of guts, a strip cynically DESIGNED to be inoffensive and bad, on the theory that public tastes are insipid. Now we need others to follow suit. Like the Post."

When asked for a response to Weingarten's comments and the Times action, Universal Press Syndicate Director of Communications Kathie Kerr said today: "Our understanding is that 'Garfield' ran in a children's section of the Los Angeles Times. When a feature is dropped on pages which are predominantly read by children, those young readers are less likely to complain or demand its return."

She added that Jim Davis is "hands on" with his comic, and concluded: "'Garfield' is the most widely syndicated comic strip in the world, and that speaks volumes to its popularity. More than 2,700 newspapers worldwide publish it, and, in the last year, more than 50 newspaper clients were added. It's an easy-to-get laugh a day and that endears it to millions of children and adults worldwide."

Misplaced_Chiefs_Fan
01-06-2005, 07:34 PM
Gene Weingarten, a humor columnist for The Washington Post and Washington Post Writers Group, praised the Times decision during his weekly washingtonpost.com chat yesterday. He said the paper displayed "the kind of cojones missing in too many places" and described "Garfield" as "a strip produced by a committee, devoid of originality, devoid of guts, a strip cynically DESIGNED to be inoffensive and bad, on the theory that public tastes are insipid. Now we need others to follow suit. Like the Post."

Sounds like this guy is a big fan of "The Boondocks", which is probably the most annoying politico-psychobabble strip in existance and has cost the Post a ton of readers.

No, don't have comics for the family. They should all be hate-filled diatribes about something or other.

Idiot. :cuss:

Cochise
01-06-2005, 07:37 PM
The boondocks strip is retarded.

They should have kept Garfield and dropped Mary Worth or Family Suckus or something

StcChief
01-06-2005, 07:43 PM
Who cares about comics?

Demonpenz
01-06-2005, 07:44 PM
and there in the bottom right hand corner is the family circus, just waiting to suck.

morphius
01-06-2005, 07:45 PM
and there in the bottom right hand corner is the family circus, just waiting to suck.
I wonder if anyone actually even reads that or if it just helps even out the page with the word scrembles and what not.

Demonpenz
01-06-2005, 07:49 PM
i read it, it's always MOM! DADS USING THE VACUME AGAIN! and then it shows the dad using it backwards or some other not funny shit.

tk13
01-06-2005, 07:52 PM
i read it, it's always MOM! DADS USING THE VACUME AGAIN! and then it shows the dad using it backwards or some other not funny shit.
ROFL

4th and Long
01-06-2005, 07:52 PM
I am deeply shocked and saddened by this tragic turn of events.

Regards,
http://is389-proj-collaps.web.cern.ch/is389-proj-collaps/Pooky.png

Cochise
01-06-2005, 07:56 PM

Cochise
01-06-2005, 07:57 PM

Cochise
01-06-2005, 07:57 PM

SNR
01-06-2005, 08:00 PM
i read it, it's always MOM! DADS USING THE VACUME AGAIN! and then it shows the dad using it backwards or some other not funny shit.My grandma loves reading Family Circus. I have no f*cking clue why.

I have a feeling that weird people like her like it because the things the kids say make them go, "Aww, how cute! Billy is confused by his own language he speaks even though he's probably a 3rd or 4th grader!"

When kids mess up on words, it's not the time to say, "aww, how cute." It's the time to smack them in the back of the head with your palm, so they remember not to do it again. Especially kids named "Dolly" and "Jeffy." WTF? Can the names get anymore sickening? Speaking of sickening, wtf is up with "Barfy"? That's exactly what I want to do when I read this tripe.

Demonpenz
01-06-2005, 08:01 PM
oh man i was hoping they made family circus toilet paper

LTownChief
01-06-2005, 08:03 PM
these freakin tree huggers have to protest something every day just to make their insignificant lives feel, well, significant..

I live in Lawrence, and the same damn hippies are protesting something different every week it seems, whether it's Abercrombie and Fitch, Taco Bell or politics. I'm tired of those idiots!

4th and Long
01-06-2005, 08:05 PM
http://www.drivenbyboredom.com/gallery/26/27.jpg

unlurking
01-06-2005, 08:06 PM
PVPONLINE you BASTARDS!!!

(In the KCStar BTW)

4th and Long
01-06-2005, 08:07 PM
http://www.humorvillage.com/hv/site/Funpages/funpage38/otherImages/anorexia1.gif

morphius
01-06-2005, 08:11 PM
Especially kids named "Dolly" and "Jeffy." WTF? Can the names get anymore sickening? Speaking of sickening, wtf is up with "Barfy"? That's exactly what I want to do when I read this tripe.

Yes it can be worse, much worse. Like when your name is Jeff and all the women at work, uncordinated, decide that "Pooky" is a fitting name for you...

...and all the guys join in the fun as well.

Phobia
01-06-2005, 08:58 PM
Yes it can be worse, much worse. Like when your name is Jeff and all the women at work, uncordinated, decide that "Pooky" is a fitting name for you...

Wow. I wonder what could be worse than that.

stevieray
01-06-2005, 09:01 PM

let me guess, it's your eyes.

Bowser
01-06-2005, 09:01 PM
Wow. I wonder what could be worse than that.

ROFL

Boozer
01-06-2005, 09:02 PM
Sounds like this guy is a big fan of "The Boondocks", which is probably the most annoying politico-psychobabble strip in existance and has cost the Post a ton of readers.

No, don't have comics for the family. They should all be hate-filled diatribes about something or other.

I must say, I really disagree with you.

I'm never buying one of your books.

morphius
01-06-2005, 09:12 PM
let me guess, it's your eyes.
Well, one of them had a huge crush on me, so yeah, probably. The other lady that started it was an ex-striper, that made me damn glad I don't go to those places, ick.

SNR
01-06-2005, 09:13 PM
Wow. I wonder what could be worse than that.You're an evil bastard ROFL

morphius
01-06-2005, 09:17 PM
You're an evil bastard ROFL
I expected it if he saw it, I have been called worse.

Rain Man
01-06-2005, 09:21 PM
I'm not a parent, so I'm not sure about this, but I guess maybe it's okay to have some insipid comics for the little kids who have a mental age of six. My challenge is that no matter how hard I try, I can't resist looking at them. I struggle and I struggle and I try not to look, and then my eye catches a glimpse of Jeffy or Garfield or Marmaduke, and something inside me says, "It's a comic. It's just a sentence. Read it. Maybe it'll be funny." and then I do and I always, always regret it.

Why do kids find those things funny, anyway? There's nothing funny about, for example, a picture of Marmaduke in the house, with the dad saying, "We wanted to go out for dinner, but Marmaduke wanted to eat at home." I'm sorry, but even if you're six, there's just nothing funny about it.

Cochise
01-06-2005, 09:24 PM
I'm not a parent, so I'm not sure about this, but I guess maybe it's okay to have some insipid comics for the little kids who have a mental age of six. My challenge is that no matter how hard I try, I can't resist looking at them. I struggle and I struggle and I try not to look, and then my eye catches a glimpse of Jeffy or Garfield or Marmaduke, and something inside me says, "It's a comic. It's just a sentence. Read it. Maybe it'll be funny." and then I do and I always, always regret it.

Why do kids find those things funny, anyway? There's nothing funny about, for example, a picture of Marmaduke in the house, with the dad saying, "We wanted to go out for dinner, but Marmaduke wanted to eat at home." I'm sorry, but even if you're six, there's just nothing funny about it.

What, you don't think Marmaduke trying to squeeze himself into a recliner with his owner already sitting in it is funny? That's comedy gold! That's gold Jerry! GOLD!!

Phobia
01-06-2005, 09:40 PM
We should start a ChiefsPlanet comic and take over the world.

Rain Man
01-06-2005, 09:56 PM
Maybe it could feature a guy who's in prison for doing unnatural things with Barbie dolls. I've always thought that could be a good creative foundation.

morphius
01-06-2005, 09:56 PM
I see a plan coming together...

http://www.able2uk.com/pinky_brain.gif

stevieray
01-06-2005, 10:13 PM

this has crossed my mind before.

Thig Lyfe
01-06-2005, 10:13 PM
Garfield sucks.

Pearls Before Swine, Get Fuzzy... that's where the real action is at.

memyselfI
01-06-2005, 10:14 PM
After that waste of a movie I can see why they'd drop the feline...

what a shame.

Cochise
01-06-2005, 10:41 PM
Garfield sucks.

Pearls Before Swine, Get Fuzzy... that's where the real action is at.

Dilbert and Foxtrot are funny.

While we're dumping comics, can we lose Zippy too?

Rain Man
01-06-2005, 10:43 PM
Zippy...what a waste of India Ink.

I'm a fan of Frazz, Doonesbury, Monty, Sherman, Agnes, and several others. None of them can match the classic Far Side, though.

SNR
01-06-2005, 10:46 PM
In my opinion, the comic strip world is a lot like the NBA. Gone are the days of Michael Jordan with the Bulls, gone are the days of Calvin and Hobbes.

I don't think I shall ever witness a comic as great as that one was.

|Zach|
01-07-2005, 02:07 AM

You would stop reading a paper based on one single comic strip you don't like?

Now THATS funny.

|Zach|
01-07-2005, 02:10 AM
If you guys are interested in a pretty good web based comic strip then I would check this out...

http://www.livejournal.com/users/with_gusto/

It suits the kind of humor a lot of planet members have...

Douche Baggins
01-07-2005, 02:22 AM
Garfield has sucked FOR YEARS. It USED to be funny when Jim Davis was drawing it. Then he sold out.

F*CK GARFIELD!

Spicy McHaggis
01-07-2005, 02:27 AM
Foxtrot, Dilbert, Get Fuzzy and Pearls before Swine are all good comics. Get Fuzzy and Pearls have had me in tears a few times.

tk13
01-07-2005, 02:35 AM
Garfield has sucked FOR YEARS. It USED to be funny when Jim Davis was drawing it. Then he sold out.

F*CK GARFIELD!
I've been about 10-15 feet from Jim Davis once when he dropped by Ball State. That's about all I have to add on this topic. Go me.

Douche Baggins
01-07-2005, 02:43 AM
I've been about 10-15 feet from Jim Davis once when he dropped by Ball State. That's about all I have to add on this topic. Go me.

Did he try and suck your dick for money? Because that's all he cares about.

ENDelt260
01-07-2005, 10:31 AM
Sounds like this guy is a big fan of "The Boondocks", which is probably the most annoying politico-psychobabble strip in existance

I rather enjoy The Boondocks.

ENDelt260
01-07-2005, 10:33 AM
http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/attachment.php?attachmentid=36148&stc=1

Awesome.

ENDelt260
01-07-2005, 10:34 AM
The other lady that started it was an ex-striper, that made me damn glad I don't go to those places, ick.

Hospitals?

morphius
01-07-2005, 10:36 AM
Hospitals?
stripper, sheesh...

BIG_DADDY
Garfield was a pussy.

ENDelt260

I thought of you a few weeks ago when a guy at work went on an anti-Marmaduke rant...

"The people writing this are just stealing money! Look at this... there's no humor there!"

cdcox

A long time ago, some of these used to be funny. I still remember a Marmaduke cartoon that showed the little boy measuring Marmaduke with a tape measure. He asks the Dad:

"If Marmaduke is as tall as he is long, how come he isn't a square."

Ultra Peanut
01-07-2005, 10:42 AM
and there in the bottom right hand corner is the family circus, just waiting to suck.Very underrated movie.

Ultra Peanut
01-07-2005, 10:46 AM
In my opinion, the comic strip world is a lot like the NBA. Gone are the days of Michael Jordan with the Bulls, gone are the days of Calvin and Hobbes.

I don't think I shall ever witness a comic as great as that one was.Completely correct.

gblowfish
01-07-2005, 10:47 AM
Awesome.Family Circus annoys me too. These fake family circus cartoons all come from a site called "Dysfunctional Family Circus." Check it out here: http://tinyurl.com/3pm2t

If you really want to get down to the bare bones of cartoon characters, check out this site: http://tinyurl.com/6wvvd

Douche Baggins
01-07-2005, 11:41 AM

Hey! You're not allowed to say shit here!!!

Lzen
01-07-2005, 11:50 AM
this has crossed my mind before.

Taking over the world?
:hmmm:

AZORChiefFan
01-07-2005, 02:53 PM
Lay off Family Circus Bill Keane lives here in Scottsdale. OK Just kidding Family Circus is horrible.

ENDelt260
01-07-2005, 02:55 PM
Lay off Family Circus Bill Keane lives here in Scottsdale.

Really?

Hm... I could use some extra cash... who wants to take up a collection to pay me for a hit?

AZORChiefFan
01-07-2005, 02:58 PM
Really?

Hm... I could use some extra cash... who wants to take up a collection to pay me for a hit?

Yep. There's an art supply store in old town he buys his pens and crap from. Friend of a friend used to work there and sell him stuff.

ENDelt260
01-07-2005, 03:00 PM
Yep. There's an art supply store in old town he buys his pens and crap from. Friend of a friend used to work there and sell him stuff.
I'll track his movements with a map of old town with a dotted line showing wherever he goes...

Baby Lee
01-07-2005, 03:04 PM
The pig says: "my wife is a slut!!"

Demonpenz
01-07-2005, 03:11 PM
i like the maddox garfield article

ENDelt260
01-07-2005, 03:12 PM
i like the maddox garfield article
Haha.

Am I right or what?

News (01-06-05): Looks like I'm not the only one who thinks Garfield Sucks, L.A. Times dropped Garfield from their paper. All you morons who tried to defend Jim Davis for his "brilliant social commentary" can eat shit.

ENDelt260
01-07-2005, 03:14 PM
ROFL Wow.

Garfield gets awarded for humor and "Family Guy" keeps getting canceled faster than a baby at Planned Parenthood.

Demonpenz
01-07-2005, 03:14 PM
tk13 maddox article was classic too that should be in the classic thread

Rain Man
01-07-2005, 05:28 PM
I'll track his movements with a map of old town with a dotted line showing wherever he goes...

ROFL

Rain Man
01-07-2005, 05:29 PM
Does anyone else think that Family Circus is better when Bil Keane goes on vacation and Billy draws the strip?

tk13
01-07-2005, 05:40 PM
Did he try and suck your dick for money? Because that's all he cares about.
Says the dude who worships a universe of movies made by George Luca$.

ENDelt260
01-12-2005, 11:36 AM
Ok, another board I post on has a guy w/ this in his sig...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v453/miketheloser/garfield.gif

If it wasn't for the fact that it's drawn correctly, I would've thought it was maddox's parody.

Douche Baggins
01-12-2005, 11:39 AM
Ok, another board I post on has a guy w/ this in his sig...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v453/miketheloser/garfield.gif

If it wasn't for the fact that it's drawn correctly, I would've thought it was maddox's parody.

That joke must have been used in some form or another hundreds of times in that stupid strip.

Cochise
01-12-2005, 11:57 AM
Does anyone else think that Family Circus is better when Bil Keane goes on vacation and Billy draws the strip?

NO! it gets even worse then. The only gag Billy knows how to do is confuse homphones. I mean how many times can you have billy draw the liberty bell in an evening gown and see him scrawl something like "the belle of the ball" on the bottom and think not only that it used to be funny, but that it still is.

And the dotted line ones make me want to gouge out my eyes and replace them with baby porcupines

Rain Man
01-12-2005, 01:24 PM
I dunno. I just think that Billy's work has more social relevance.

Frosty
01-12-2005, 01:46 PM
The Spokane paper still runs daily reruns of Peanuts and Dennis the Menace. :rolleyes: Combine that with Beetle Baily, B.C. and Hagar the Horrible and there is no reason at all to read the comics (except maybe a quick peek at Dilbert, Zits and Baby Blues).

Wile_E_Coyote
01-12-2005, 02:02 PM
that furball is a hack