PDA

View Full Version : Bob Stoops Head coach of the Kansas City Chiefs?

KingPriest2
01-06-2005, 08:36 PM
I know this has prob been discussed before but since the search function is not working as well as not discussing it for awhile I felt it should be brought up again.

So how do people feel about Stoops as our head coach

ChiefsCountry
01-06-2005, 08:43 PM
Well Stoops would be good, he chokes in the big bowl games, just like a Chiefs coach would do in the playoffs. Sure why not.

LiL stumppy
01-06-2005, 08:49 PM
Well OU being my fav college and KC being my fav NFL team.I don't have a problem with it.

Wile_E_Coyote
01-06-2005, 08:51 PM
don't be asking for Bob before your Dick is out

Logical
01-06-2005, 09:08 PM
Why would he be willing to make less money, lose control of his own destiny, to coach for a perenial failure a team that has not been to the Championship in 35 years. I would lose all respect for him if he accepted a position with the Chiefs.

Straight, No Chaser
01-06-2005, 09:11 PM

I think Pete Carroll is taking his calls now.

---->

beavis
01-06-2005, 10:43 PM
I give this about a million to one shot of happening.

tk13
01-06-2005, 10:48 PM
Why would he be willing to make less money, lose control of his own destiny, to coach for a perenial failure a team that has not been to the Championship in 35 years. I would lose all respect for him if he accepted a position with the Chiefs.
So you think that nobody should take this coaching job basically? ROFL

Spicy McHaggis
01-06-2005, 10:50 PM
Stoops is one of the few college coaches I wouldn't mind as our next HC. Who knows if he'd consider it. Saban had it pretty sweet at LSU and he left for the Dolphins. Maybe Stoops will do the same.

Skip Towne
01-06-2005, 10:57 PM
Damn, Jim, why do you even follow the Chiefs anymore? If you are that negative about them why not pick another team? I mean you like Notre Dame, Mizzou, and UCLA in the college ranks. Maybe you just like us losers. It certainly looks like it.

HemiEd
01-06-2005, 11:00 PM
I know this has prob been discussed before but since the search function is not working as well as not discussing it for awhile I felt it should be brought up again.

I feel very stongly about this: What makes anyone think he would be any more successful than Barry Switzer or Steve Spurrier. IMO the NFL is a totally different program. The Chiefs need to hold on to Al Saunders and make him the head coach before someone else hires him away! Just because you can recruit in college does not mean that you will have any hope of competing in the NFL. Besides, I think Maggiano has done more with less than Stoops. :wayne:

Nightfyre
01-06-2005, 11:03 PM
I want old martyball back. Ball control with defense. Please. Thanks. I miss defense. Al doesnt bring either. Thanks.

Logical
01-06-2005, 11:14 PM
So you think that nobody should take this coaching job basically? ROFL
Damn, Jim, why do you even follow the Chiefs anymore? If you are that negative about them why not pick another team? I mean you like Notre Dame, Mizzou, and UCLA in the college ranks. Maybe you just like us losers. It certainly looks like it.
Stoops has one of the top 5 college football jobs in the nation, gets paid far more than Carl would pay him. Through recruiting can control his own destiny. He would be an idiot to take the job. Does not mean any coach would be an idiot a great college coach at a lower level major or an assistant like Romeo Cornell (sp?) would be wise to take the job, though not for Carl, Carl is a complete loser.

HemiEd
01-06-2005, 11:15 PM
I want old martyball back. Ball control with defense. Please. Thanks. I miss defense. Al doesnt bring either. Thanks.

How about a compromise? Make them each assistant head coaches. Honestly, in 35 years of watching this team I have never had so much fun. The scoring is a blast to watch for me. Did you watch the Bears/Cowboys game on Thanksgiving or the Redskins/Cowboys game on Christmas Eve? That was some boring as sh*t to me, sorry I am spoiled. However, it would really be nice to stop the other team once in a while. I catch myself wondering in games anymore if the Chiefs will make the other team punt at all? So a little defense would be nice once in a while, the current "career day" defense is getting a little nerve racking to watch. If we could order up games like the Atlanta game every time we should all be happy!

Nightfyre
01-06-2005, 11:18 PM
How about a compromise? Make them each assistant head coaches. Honestly, in 35 years of watching this team I have never had so much fun. The scoring is a blast to watch for me. Did you watch the Bears/Cowboys game on Thanksgiving or the Redskins/Cowboys game on Christmas Eve? That was some boring as sh*t to me, sorry I am spoiled. However, it would really be nice to stop the other team once in a while. I catch myself wondering in games anymore if the Chiefs will make the other team punt at all? So a little defense would be nice once in a while, the current "career day" defense is getting a little nerve racking to watch. If we could order up games like the Atlanta game every time we should all be happy!
then it would just get boring. you have to admit for 1, 2 or 3 seasons it would be fun. But then all the fairweather fans start catching up with you and your teams dominance is expected and dull.

tk13
01-06-2005, 11:25 PM
Stoops has one of the top 5 college football jobs in the nation, gets paid far more than Carl would pay him. Through recruiting can control his own destiny. He would be an idiot to take the job. Does not mean any coach would be an idiot a great college coach at a lower level major or an assistant like Romeo Cornell (sp?) would be wise to take the job, though not for Carl, Carl is a complete loser.
Why not? It's about ego for a lot of coaches.... I'm sure there are plenty of people out there who'd look at the position and know they'd be a hero if they brought this city a Super Bowl, like Vermeil is in St. Louis and Philly...

warpaint99
01-06-2005, 11:33 PM
Stoops or any coach can't make the Chiefs better without great defensive players. Look at OU . They lost Dusty Vorcheck ,who is a good passrush Dtackle, and look at their pass rush in MNC game.

HemiEd
01-06-2005, 11:35 PM
then it would just get boring. you have to admit for 1, 2 or 3 seasons it would be fun. But then all the fairweather fans start catching up with you and your teams dominance is expected and dull.

I am glad you mention Fair Weather Fans, there is a lot of that going on lately. I actually think these are some pretty good times. Back in the 70s and 80s the teams only realistic goal was to hopefully beat the Raiders. The bar was significantly lower, it was tough!

Raiderhader
01-06-2005, 11:38 PM
[/groan] I had really hoped that after the other night this discussion would not come up again. So much for that....

No, no, no. I cannot stand that arrogant ass. And I really do not think he is all that special of a coach. He may be good, but not special, IMNSHO.

jAZ
01-06-2005, 11:55 PM
Wow... that's particularly anti-Chiefs... even for you.

HemiEd
01-07-2005, 12:10 AM
[/groan] I had really hoped that after the other night this discussion would not come up again. So much for that....

No, no, no. I cannot stand that arrogant ass. And I really do not think he is all that special of a coach. He may be good, but not special, IMNSHO.

:clap:

Digital Takawira
01-07-2005, 12:15 AM
stoops supposedly grew up a chiefs fan so you know he would enjoy the job. i'd love to see him give the nfl a shot after vermiel leaves.

Bob Dole
01-07-2005, 05:29 AM
Bob Dole isn't aware of Stoops ever indicating that he has any desire to be an NFL coach.

If Bob Stoops was interested in leaving Oklahoma, he'd be relaxing down in Florida right now.

mikey23545
01-07-2005, 05:51 AM
Bring back Marty....

:)

htismaqe
01-07-2005, 08:46 AM

Basically the same thing I tell my buddies when they freak out about Kirk Ferentz leaving Iowa for CLEVELAND.

They've had like 2 winning seasons since Marty left.

e_train69
01-07-2005, 09:11 AM
Stoops is not leaving OU. He has already made that clear, and I am glad. OU will compete for a NC almost every year with him there. He is a great coach and recruiter. Some who call him a choker need to do a little more checking, because he has already won a NC in only his second year at OU, and played in 2 other NC games in his short time at OU, along with a lot of other big wins. He has never lost to Texas and they are a good blue-chip team year after year. A couple of bad games in the last couple of years does not make him a choker. JMO

HemiEd
01-07-2005, 09:21 AM
Stoops is not leaving OU. He has already made that clear, and I am glad. OU will compete for a NC almost every year with him there. He is a great coach and recruiter. Some who call him a choker need to do a little more checking, because he has already won a NC in only his second year at OU, and played in 2 other NC games in his short time at OU, along with a lot of other big wins. He has never lost to Texas and they are a good blue-chip team year after year. A couple of bad games in the last couple of years does not make him a choker. JMO

Yep, Bill Snyder taught him a lot! :thumb:

e_train69
01-07-2005, 09:24 AM
Snyder never won a NC.

Coach
01-07-2005, 09:25 AM
Snyder never won a NC.

No, he hasn't, but at least making Kansas State a national power in the 90's to the early 00's makes him a good coach, considering that K-State was a real real bad team. Will he win one as a HC for K-State? Probably not, since K-State may not be very solid next year, but then, which team in the Big XII North is anyways (Maybe Iowa State, just maybe) and it seems to me that they don't have a clue which direction they are headed.

htismaqe
01-07-2005, 09:42 AM
Both Snyder and Stoops learned it all from the REAL master -- Hayden Fry.

Coach
01-07-2005, 09:45 AM
Both Snyder and Stoops learned it all from the REAL master -- Hayden Fry.

Yup, there ya go. Snyder knew all about rebuilding. Before Fry's arrival in 1979, Iowa hadn't had a winning season in 18 years, but since then it had averaged nearly eight wins per season and had played in three Rose Bowls. Snyder also knew offense. His passing game had given fits to Neanderthal Big Ten defenses. When Miller called Bo Schembechler of Michigan to ask about Snyder, Schembechler said, "Hire him, get him the f--- out of this conference."

htismaqe
01-07-2005, 09:48 AM
Yup, there ya go. Snyder knew all about rebuilding. Before Fry's arrival in 1979, Iowa hadn't had a winning season in 18 years, but since then it had averaged nearly eight wins per season and had played in three Rose Bowls. Snyder also knew offense. His passing game had given fits to Neanderthal Big Ten defenses. When Miller called Bo Schembechler of Michigan to ask about Snyder, Schembechler said, "Hire him, get him the f--- out of this conference."

Hehe...and Snyder had some good players to work with too...

One Heisman runner-up QB is now the OC at OU - Chuck Long.

Honestly, Hayden Fry's impact on college football is amazing, when you consider who he was and where he coached...

HemiEd
01-07-2005, 09:53 AM
No, he hasn't, but at least making Kansas State a national power in the 90's to the early 00's makes him a good coach, considering that K-State was a real real bad team. Will he win one as a HC for K-State? Probably not, since K-State may not be very solid next year, but then, which team in the Big XII North is anyways (Maybe Iowa State, just maybe) and it seems to me that they don't have a clue which direction they are headed.

Snyder probably has taken Kansas State farther than any coach will ever match. Before Snyder started at K-State, Street/Smiths had Wichita State ranked higher than K-State, and Wichita State did not even have football any longer! ROFL

Coach
01-07-2005, 09:54 AM
Hehe...and Snyder had some good players to work with too...

One Heisman runner-up QB is now the OC at OU - Chuck Long.

Honestly, Hayden Fry's impact on college football is amazing, when you consider who he was and where he coached...

Yes, Fry's impact on college football is amazing. Of course, Snyder inherited a 27-game winless streak when he was hired to coach the Wildcats in November 1988. In the previous four seasons K-State had won three of 44 games. In fact, since the end of World War II, Kansas State had had only four winning seasons and played in one bowl game.

Coach
01-07-2005, 09:55 AM
Snyder probably has taken Kansas State farther than any coach will ever match. Before Snyder started at K-State, Street/Smiths had Wichita State ranked higher than K-State, and Wichita State did not even have football any longer! ROFL

This is very true. Wichita State, who dropped their football program in 1987 (I believe) was actually better than K-State was in the 50's to the 80's. But in reality, most of the Kansas college football teams were pretty bad back then.

e_train69
01-07-2005, 10:06 AM
I agree Snyder is a great coach and created a program to be proud of. I believe he will have that program winning again very soon, and it will not surprise me if he someday plays for the NC.