PDA

View Full Version : VoIP Phone Service (Internet Phone Line) any reviews???

Vegas_Dave
01-06-2005, 09:46 PM
So I have been intrigued with VoIP service.

For those who dont know what this is, it basically is a paid service (averages $20/month) and allows you to use your regular phones but instead go through your high speed internet connection. It allows you to call any regular phone. there are not the heavy goverment phone line taxes, and supposedly, the quality is on par with regular phone service.

so my questions is if anyone here has actually used it? If so, what service did you use and what did you think of it.

Myself, I am mainly looking at AT&T's "CallVantage" service at $19.99/month compared to my local line costing around $43/month.

Rain Man
01-06-2005, 09:50 PM
I think I remember that kcwolfman was going to an Internet phone system. I wonder how that's going?

I'm tempted to do the same myself. I'm just woefully ignorant about my options.

Vegas_Dave
01-06-2005, 09:52 PM
I think the only thing that is holding me off from doing it right now is additional phones. Does this limit me to just the 1 phone? Could I use a multiple handset cordless phone system on it?

Also they are coming out with WiFi VoIP phones that mean I shouldnt need anything other then the service. Not even the Terminal box.

Rain Man
01-06-2005, 09:58 PM
I keep wanting to do something to consolidate my computer, cable, and phone, but the thing that's stopping me is that I need have a dialup system for when I travel. That kind of keeps me from getting rid of my dialup Internet service.

Vegas_Dave
01-06-2005, 10:03 PM
I keep wanting to do something to consolidate my computer, cable, and phone, but the thing that's stopping me is that I need have a dialup system for when I travel. That kind of keeps me from getting rid of my dialup Internet service.

Depending on how often you travel, I would just say get Netscapes $9.95 dial up for that.

elvomito
01-06-2005, 10:44 PM
i have road runner, and packet8 voip phone. you can run as many phones as you want. the only problem is, data communication is ****d. no sending faxes. i can sortof receive a fax. i got a account with onebox to fix it.

overall i'm saving money and i like it.

you can even take this gear and your phone to someone elses network(like a hotel) and do business, receive calls to your number and such.

Cochise
01-06-2005, 10:57 PM
I have a VOIP phone at work. I can't tell the difference.

Maybe that isn't so helpful, but thought I would throw that out there.

Vegas_Dave
01-06-2005, 11:04 PM
i have road runner, and packet8 voip phone. you can run as many phones as you want.

you can even take this gear and your phone to someone elses network(like a hotel) and do business, receive calls to your number and such.

Correct me if I am wrong though, all the phones have to some way connect to the TA box correct (assuming that they are truly independent phones and not just multiple wireless receivers on the same phone)

Ari Chi3fs
01-06-2005, 11:09 PM
i have Time Warner Cable / DVR / Internet / VOIP Phone for $105 a month... While I like the price... Occasionally, when talking to others they complain of static... it could be because my wife threw the phone against the wall, during a recent hissy fit.

Overall, I have been pleased. It is the wave of the future, like New Coke and Max Headroom.

elvomito
01-07-2005, 12:46 AM
Correct me if I am wrong though, all the phones have to some way connect to the TA box correct (assuming that they are truly independent phones and not just multiple wireless receivers on the same phone)

yes you would need to connect them to your VoIP box somehow. not hard at all. just disconnect your SBC at the demarc point and patch your TA box into a phone jack. that should do it.

also, i'm big on downloading stuff. when uploads get around 40KBps the phone has problems, static, devil noises. all i do is make room for a moment and raise the speed when done.

also i like the fact you can have any area code you want. "call me at my Orlando home."

Realbaddog
01-07-2005, 01:00 AM
I have had Packet8 for almost a year, with Comcast cable. Works great. Once in a while I have to unplug/plug in (reboot) the "box" and if I'm downloading something that is taking most of the bandwith I will run into some quality problems (very rare: echos) all in all I have been very satisfied for what I pay: $20.50 per month. for everything.

chris
01-07-2005, 01:01 AM
So I have been intrigued with VoIP service.

For those who dont know what this is, it basically is a paid service (averages $20/month) and allows you to use your regular phones but instead go through your high speed internet connection. It allows you to call any regular phone. there are not the heavy goverment phone line taxes, and supposedly, the quality is on par with regular phone service.

so my questions is if anyone here has actually used it? If so, what service did you use and what did you think of it.

Myself, I am mainly looking at AT&T's "CallVantage" service at $19.99/month compared to my local line costing around $43/month.

Vonage. Love it. Use for home and for work. $25/month.

At home have 4 phones and a fax machine hooked up.

Unlimited USA and Canada calls.

Remote phone numbers...Even though I'm in SLC, I can have a 913 or 816 local number for $5. Mom never pays long distance charge.

Built in answering machine records messages as wav. files and emails to me at work.

Broadband is supplied by Comcast.

And when Vonage brings out the WiFi phone next year, my cell phone bill is going way down.

htismaqe
01-07-2005, 08:33 AM
I have SIP VoIP through work and use it all the time.

I don't have any QoS (I actually use the MS IM client through a VPN) and it still works fine, even from hotels.

Devin Vierth
01-07-2005, 09:02 AM
Ok, so I have a couple of questions.

1) how can you have multiple phones when the phone has to plug into a router/modem (the box that converts from digital to analog).

2) I have an alarm system the connects to the alarm company from the phone line. Their alarm connects to the line before it reaches the phones in the house. Will it work with a voip phone setup?

htismaqe
01-07-2005, 09:10 AM
Ok, so I have a couple of questions.

1) how can you have multiple phones when the phone has to plug into a router/modem (the box that converts from digital to analog).

2) I have an alarm system the connects to the alarm company from the phone line. Their alarm connects to the line before it reaches the phones in the house. Will it work with a voip phone setup?

1) Do you have multiple phones, or multiple phone LINES? There's a big difference. I'm assuming you just have more than one handset. If that's the case, you could just wire the POTS port on your VoIP gateway to a punchdown block and essentially plus all of the phones in. Remember it's not about phones, it's about lines.

2) It's entirely possible that the alarm system won't work. If the alarm system uses an open data channel via the phone line (like a FAX system for instance) sometimes those don't work because they can't be compressed in the same way as a normal voice call (since they're already using compression).

Devin Vierth
01-07-2005, 09:56 AM
Thank you htismaqe. That is what I needed to know.

Vegas_Dave
01-10-2005, 11:42 PM
OK, so last general question, has anyone used cordless phones on the VoIP and did you have any problems at all with that?

I am basically planning on plugging in a multiple handset cordless into the box and thats it.

What would be interesting to know is also this... anyone know of a way to setup your phones internal wiring striahgt in the box, so that you could then plug a regular phone inton any jack in the house and thus have it plugged in the box? I assume this is not possible because from what I see on the TA boxes, you have a few "phone" ports and you are probably limited to one phone per port.

Anyone know?

KCWolfman
01-10-2005, 11:48 PM
$29.99
No hidden fees or taxes
Two lines
Call Waiting
Call Forwarding
Caller ID
Emails when Voice Message is received
Speed Dial 100 numbers
No long distance ever (in the U.S. - both Continental and AL & HI)
Unlimited service

I guarantee not a single person here who does not use Voice Eclipse gets a better price, and I bet that most can't even get a single line for 30.00 a month.

KCWolfman
01-10-2005, 11:48 PM
OK, so last general question, has anyone used cordless phones on the VoIP and did you have any problems at all with that?

I am basically planning on plugging in a multiple handset cordless into the box and thats it.

What would be interesting to know is also this... anyone know of a way to setup your phones internal wiring striahgt in the box, so that you could then plug a regular phone inton any jack in the house and thus have it plugged in the box? I assume this is not possible because from what I see on the TA boxes, you have a few "phone" ports and you are probably limited to one phone per port.

Anyone know?
We use a 5.8 GHz cordless with no issues.
The 2.4 sounded scratchy

Rausch
01-10-2005, 11:55 PM
$29.99
No hidden fees or taxes
Two lines
Call Waiting
Call Forwarding
Caller ID
Emails when Voice Message is received
Speed Dial 100 numbers
No long distance ever (in the U.S. - both Continental and AL & HI)
Unlimited service

I guarantee not a single person here who does not use Voice Eclipse gets a better price, and I bet that most can't even get a single line for 30.00 a month.

But will it work with my DTV reciever?

:hmmm:

KCWolfman
01-10-2005, 11:55 PM

:hmmm:
Not that I know of. You are stuck with convential landlines for now.

And those people with alarm systems tied to their phones as well.

Rausch
01-10-2005, 11:57 PM
Not that I know of. You are stuck with convential landlines for now.

****...Sunday ticket has been holding me hostage for years... :mad:

chris
01-11-2005, 12:02 AM
We use a 5.8 GHz cordless with no issues.
The 2.4 sounded scratchy

Run the phone line ffrom the wall to the VOIP box. THen run a line from the VOIP box to the 2.4/5.8 command base.

Then you will have no problems.

I have 4 wireless phones in the house.

BigMeatballDave
01-11-2005, 12:41 AM
I think the only thing that is holding me off from doing it right now is additional phones. Does this limit me to just the 1 phone? Could I use a multiple handset cordless phone system on it?
I use Vonage. $25/mo. The additional phone lines is a problem, but a cordless with multiple handsets works just fine...

BigMeatballDave
01-11-2005, 12:47 AM

:hmmm:Yes. I have a Tivo. It works fine. One thing, though. I have to use a DSL filter pluged into the Tivo. Not sure how it works, but it does...