PDA

View Full Version : What oddities do you have in your house?

Rain Man
01-06-2005, 11:05 PM
We've got some oddities.

1. A five-foot Egyptian god statue (mine)

2. A Victorian doll head impaled on a stick that I think has real human hair (my wife's, given to us by her mother).

3. A six-foot cat tree (my cats' - Christmas gift)

4. An original painting of a woman holding a small dog and standing in front of an AMC Gremlin (we saw it at an antique store and couldn't resist)

5. My wife has a pair of earrings that are 3-D holographic eyes (gift from me, but for some reason she only wears them on Halloween).

What do you have sitting around the house?

Joe Seahawk
01-06-2005, 11:08 PM
Well, Thanks to my aunt I now have a three foot tall Nutcracker soldier thing with hair and everything.. :rolleyes:

It scares my dog.. ROFL

tk13
01-06-2005, 11:09 PM
2. A Victorian doll head impaled on a stick that I think has real human hair (my wife's, given to us by her mother).

And you went ahead with the wedding anyway, eh? :)

morphius
01-06-2005, 11:12 PM
I have a small statue of the Brain from Pinky and the Brain that my wife bought for me after I gave one to my best man as the gift.

I have a "Packard Approved Service" tin sign that I really, really wanted to hang above the bed.

I'm sure there is more, but I'm tired and can't think of any more.

Ultra Peanut
01-06-2005, 11:16 PM
I have three shrunken human heads I found in the jungle on a recent trip to Papua New Guinea.

Rain Man
01-06-2005, 11:26 PM
Man. I really want to go to Papua New Guinea some day. Did you know that they have tree kangaroos there?

http://www.rogerwilliamsparkzoo.org/what_to_see/australasia/australasia_kangaroo.cfm

Ultra Peanut
01-06-2005, 11:26 PM
OF COURSE I KNOW I'VE BEEN THERE

stevieray
01-06-2005, 11:27 PM
OF COURSE I KNOW I'VE BEEN THERE

I have a rainman voodoo doll if you're interested.

Ultra Peanut
01-06-2005, 11:28 PM
must poop will continue discussion later kthxbai

Mile High Mania
01-06-2005, 11:28 PM
Well, in the back... there's this well. It was here when we bought the house, but the bitch at the bottom of it won't say what I ask her to, so I'm not letting her out until then.

Ultra Peanut
01-06-2005, 11:29 PM
1. A five-foot Egyptian god statue (mine)Which god?

PleasesayAnubispleasesayAnubispleasesayAnubis...

Vegas_Dave
01-06-2005, 11:31 PM
Well, Thanks to my aunt I now have a three foot tall Nutcracker soldier thing with hair and everything.. :rolleyes:

It scares my dog.. ROFL

Not my own but I built for my mother (who has about 100 nutcrackers) a 7 foot tall nut cracker for her to display in their entry window (9 foot tall window) during the holiday.

as for me, my wife would claim that I am the oddity. Cant say I disagree.

Rain Man
01-06-2005, 11:37 PM
Which god?

PleasesayAnubispleasesayAnubispleasesayAnubis...

Ptah.

It's almost a dead ringer for this statue, but the base on ours isn't so deep, and it's got more color.

http://www.ashmol.ox.ac.uk/gri/gif-files/gri-86.gif

Skip Towne
01-06-2005, 11:43 PM
must poop will continue discussion later kthxbai
:LOL: You just keep on keepin' on.

Nzoner
01-06-2005, 11:50 PM
Thanks to my sis-in-laws I have a used Jimmie Johnson Nascar tire sitting in my gameroom supposedly doubling as a table for mah mrs,it was her birthday gift from them.

Phobia
01-07-2005, 12:10 AM
I have a device which warms cold water automatically. It also resembles my ex-wife's current figure.

Kraut
01-07-2005, 03:43 AM
I have a framed Barney Miller TV poster hanging up. Does that count? :hmmm:

Count Alex's Wins
01-07-2005, 04:02 AM
I have a pair of 18th century Spanish fencing swords crossed in a wooden crest.

My parents have some cool shit:

A bronze rabbit the size of a small child (Rain Man will be all over this one)

A ceramic troll, some stuff from abroad. Here are some pics:

http://img90.exs.cx/img90/1768/abroadcrap.jpg

http://img90.exs.cx/img90/9186/bronzerabbit.jpg

http://img90.exs.cx/img90/4339/moreabroadcrap.jpg

These are bronze, too.
http://img90.exs.cx/img90/892/pots.jpg

http://img90.exs.cx/img90/6415/swords.jpg

http://img51.exs.cx/img51/7963/troll9.jpg

Ultra Peanut
01-07-2005, 05:26 AM
I would have many, many nightmares with that thing in my house.

OldTownChief
01-07-2005, 06:09 AM
http://img51.exs.cx/img51/7963/troll9.jpg

I think you just won the prize.

Bob Dole
01-07-2005, 06:17 AM

Most parents have portraits of their children. Why not have statues of their children, too?

nmt1
01-07-2005, 06:26 AM
Well, in the back... there's this well. It was here when we bought the house, but the bitch at the bottom of it won't say what I ask her to, so I'm not letting her out until then.

It puts the lotion on it's skin!

Count Alex's Wins
01-07-2005, 06:29 AM

That thing is the bomb. My 'rents got it in Norway.

Fairplay
01-07-2005, 06:33 AM
I have a framed Barney Miller TV poster hanging up. Does that count? :hmmm:

That is an odditie, it counts.

Fairplay
01-07-2005, 06:34 AM
Goatcheese, the first pic, the plates and vase. Where did they get that?

Also how much you think those swords are actually worth?

Fairplay
01-07-2005, 06:35 AM
Most parents have portraits of their children. Why not have statues of their children, too?

The statues where they are peeing too.

Count Alex's Wins
01-07-2005, 06:40 AM
Goatcheese, the first pic, the plates and vase. Where did they get that?

Also how much you think those swords are actually worth?

The vase is from their latest mediterannean excursion. I think they got it in Greece. Not sure where the plates are from, same trip maybe.

Not sure on the swords, I got them from one of my older friends (50+) back in Dallas. He had them for awhile.

Looking at the plates, they might have been from when dad went to Egypt.

mikey23545
01-07-2005, 06:45 AM
And you went ahead with the wedding anyway, eh? :)

If I was him I would have been scared not to....

Fairplay
01-07-2005, 06:48 AM
So did you go with them on any of these exotic excursions? Its a lifetime experience man!

Count Alex's Wins
01-07-2005, 06:55 AM
So did you go with them on any of these exotic excursions? Its a lifetime experience man!

Well, I was born in Scotland.

But no, I've never been with them to any foreign places. The mediterranean cruise thing was the only time mom has ever been anywhere with Dad, either.

He's gone to at least a dozen places on business in the last 30 years. South America, Mexico, back to Britain, Japan, Egypt and other places I can't remember.

They went to Paris and Switzerland for their honeymoon, and they moved to Dubai (middle east) and Norway (and then to Scotland) on business.

Dad was gonna go to Russia but that trip got canceled.

Dartgod
01-07-2005, 07:49 AM
Just this...

http://whatsbetter.com/static/images/10868.jpg

It sickens me, yet I can't look away.

JimNasium
01-07-2005, 07:54 AM
I've got 15 gallons of beer fermenting in my closet. Does that count?

stumppy
01-07-2005, 07:58 AM
The vase is from their latest mediterannean excursion. I think they got it in Greece. Not sure where the plates are from, same trip maybe.

Not sure on the swords, I got them from one of my older friends (50+) back in Dallas. He had them for awhile.

Looking at the plates, they might have been from when dad went to Egypt.

Hey, do your parents have one of those funny looking things that usually gets hid behind a picture ? You know, has a dial kinda thing and a lever/handle thingy ?
Those are sure cool. Maybe you could take a picture of it too. And the picture it's hid behind.

Count Alex's Wins
01-07-2005, 08:05 AM
Hey, do your parents have one of those funny looking things that usually gets hid behind a picture ? You know, has a dial kinda thing and a lever/handle thingy ?
Those are sure cool. Maybe you could take a picture of it too. And the picture it's hid behind.

No, my parents don't have a safe.

cdcox
01-07-2005, 08:07 AM
A tornado generating chamber.

My daughter and I built it for a science project a few years back. Ours was a simpler version of what you see here:

http://www.fortunecity.com/greenfield/bp/16/generat.htm

Ultra Peanut
01-07-2005, 08:11 AM
Until I clicked the link, I thought you meant some sort of storm shelter.

cdcox
01-07-2005, 08:14 AM
Until I clicked the link, I thought you meant some sort of storm shelter.

I fixed it.

Radar Chief
01-07-2005, 08:22 AM
Wifeís gone for the safari theme in the living room so it consists of a zebra skin (real not fake), peacock feathers, a four foot tall leather giraffe statue, safari print chair, leopard print chair with a leopard skin jacket draped over it and now an African fertility god statue her sister gave her for Christmas.

Phobia
01-07-2005, 10:12 AM
Wifeís gone for the safari theme in the living room so it consists of a zebra skin (real not fake), peacock feathers, a four foot tall leather giraffe statue, safari print chair, leopard print chair with a leopard skin jacket draped over it and now an African fertility god statue her sister gave her for Christmas.

Yeah, those damn peacocks were everwhere on my last safari. Heh.

My wife has our living area in safari, too. I'm not going to tell her that peacock feathers will complete the decor.

journeyscarab
01-07-2005, 10:40 AM
I have a Pizza Hut delivery roof sign with Casper the Ghost movie promotion on it. It lights up and all.

the Talking Can
01-07-2005, 10:44 AM
a gimp

Count Alex's Wins
01-07-2005, 11:01 AM
I have a Pizza Hut delivery roof sign with Casper the Ghost movie promotion on it. It lights up and all.

WTF did you do? Gank a pizza man and decide his light would make good decor?

journeyscarab
01-07-2005, 11:18 AM
WTF did you do? Gank a pizza man and decide his light would make good decor?

You cannot prove it! ROFL

No, I worked at the Home Office in Wichita and when they moved it to Dallas I found the sign sitting in the trash during the office clean out. I snagged it and took it home.

Radar Chief
01-07-2005, 11:22 AM
Yeah, those damn peacocks were everwhere on my last safari. Heh.

My wife has our living area in safari, too. I'm not going to tell her that peacock feathers will complete the decor.

I just wonder if sheíll notice when they disappear one by one to join my fly tying gear. :shrug:

badgirl
01-07-2005, 01:04 PM
No, my parents don't have a safe.
well I bet they have a cage they keep you in, don't they? ROFL

I don't have not one single unusual thing in my house, I've looked around, nothing, just plain ole stuff, I do have a pretty neat canvas painting I bought from an estate sale in San Antonio about 4 years ago, from what I found out, I know at some point it used to hang in a museum, but that all I know, and thats all I got.

gblowfish
01-07-2005, 01:42 PM
Well, in the back... there's this well. It was here when we bought the house, but the bitch at the bottom of it won't say what I ask her to, so I'm not letting her out until then.It puts the lotion on its skin...or it gets the hose again!!!

Count Alex's Wins
01-07-2005, 01:44 PM
well I bet they have a cage they keep you in, don't they? ROFL

No, why would I need to be kept in a cage?

gblowfish
01-07-2005, 01:47 PM
I lost this in moving around from place to place in college, but I used to have a full sized fiberglass Yogi Bear that was hollow inside. We used to stuff him with beer cans and when Yogi got full, we'd empty him and go off to the recycling center for more beer money. A freind of mine accidentally backed over Yogi in the fog at a Jellystone campground somewhere, broke him off his moorings. They threw him in the back of the van they were driving and kidnapped him. He was like 8 feet tall!

Radar Chief
01-07-2005, 01:47 PM

So they can charge people to poke pointy sticks atícha and watch ya squeal? :shrug:

Count Alex's Wins
01-07-2005, 01:50 PM
So they can charge people to poke pointy sticks atícha and watch ya squeal? :shrug:

No!

roman gnome
01-07-2005, 01:51 PM
What do you have sitting around the house?

A 21 yr. old Daughter and her Pit-Bull in my basement!

ENDelt260
01-07-2005, 01:53 PM
Thanks to my sis-in-laws I have a used Jimmie Johnson Nascar tire sitting in my gameroom supposedly doubling as a table for mah mrs,it was her birthday gift from them.
Heh... "I think someone stole your birthday present. There's nothing out there but an old, used tire."

Phobia
01-07-2005, 02:19 PM
I lost this in moving around from place to place in college, but I used to have a full sized fiberglass Yogi Bear that was hollow inside. We used to stuff him with beer cans and when Yogi got full, we'd empty him and go off to the recycling center for more beer money. A freind of mine accidentally backed over Yogi in the fog at a Jellystone campground somewhere, broke him off his moorings. They threw him in the back of the van they were driving and kidnapped him. He was like 8 feet tall!

Don't let Alanm see this post. He'll come take you down to the fedpen.

Bob Dole
01-07-2005, 02:24 PM

So you don't shit on the rugs.

badgirl
01-07-2005, 02:26 PM
cause your a maniac from how i perceive it :)

badgirl
01-07-2005, 02:31 PM
aaaaaaah haaaaa I do have an oddity,but its not in my house, Stumppy won't let me bring it in so its in my car. Its a voodoo doll make by a real voodoo witch down in louisanna, my daughter got it when she went to New Orleans, Stumppy says its bad luck

Bob Dole
01-07-2005, 02:32 PM
aaaaaaah haaaaa I do have an oddity,but its not in my house, Stumppy won't let me bring it in so its in my car. Its a voodoo doll make by a real voodoo witch down in louisanna, my daughter got it when she went to New Orleans, Stumppy says its bad luck

Bob Dole's ex still sells those damned things?

badgirl
01-07-2005, 02:35 PM
Bob Dole's ex still sells those damned things?
ROFL ROFL

Alton deFlat
01-07-2005, 02:40 PM

ROFL

I don't know what part of that is funnier. How you got Yogi, or what you did with him.

gblowfish
01-07-2005, 02:44 PM
ROFL

I don't know what part of that is funnier. How you got Yogi, or what you did with him.I can't remember what happened to Yogi. I think he got abandoned at one of the apartments I lived in. He was really heavy and a pain to move. The only reason he ended up with me is I lived in a old house with 15 foot ceilings, and Yogi would fit in the corner of the kitchen. That was 25 years ago...man, I'm gettin old!

Iowanian
01-07-2005, 03:32 PM
I have a 1896 cast iron well pump turned into a lamp, but its not at my house right now, a buffalo skull, some gold leaf maps framed, a dwarf named "fat Albert" who lives in the basement who would bite any of you thieving jerkwaters who came after my valuables genitals off.

AZORChiefFan
01-07-2005, 03:39 PM
I have a ton of Nightmare Before Xmas crap.
This plush toy from one of those claw games. What's odd about it is that it looks like they just used different parts of different toys to make this one. Head of a turtle, body of Santa, no arms and a green dolphin like tail for legs.

Phobia
01-07-2005, 03:49 PM
I have Britney Spears' panties from her wedding night.

ENDelt260
01-07-2005, 03:50 PM
I have Britney Spears' panties from her wedding night.
Which one?

Phobia
01-07-2005, 03:53 PM
Which one?

The ones I removed prior to her husband's arrival.

ENDelt260
01-07-2005, 03:54 PM
The ones I removed prior to her husband's arrival.
No, which wedding night?

Radar Chief
01-07-2005, 04:21 PM
No!

ROFL

htismaqe
01-07-2005, 04:24 PM
Like the bodies in the crawl space? Are those considered "oddities"?

Nzoner
01-07-2005, 04:49 PM
Heh... "I think someone stole your birthday present. There's nothing out there but an old, used tire."

I do love telling that story....when she's not around of course.

ENDelt260
01-07-2005, 05:06 PM
Hell, I like telling that story. There's folks scattered around the country that now that I have a friend whose wife received a used tire as a birthday present.

Bob Dole
01-07-2005, 05:07 PM

Good plan.

You wouldn't want to risk having her give that dead battery to someone else next year.

Rain Man
01-07-2005, 05:11 PM

Remember that news story about the woman who hit the homeless man and then drove home with him stuck in her windshield? Substitute "homeless man" for Yogi Bear in the above story, and it's nearly identical.

siberian khatru
01-07-2005, 05:12 PM
Nothing special, just some lamp shades made from the skin of homeless people whom nobody misses.

Straight, No Chaser
01-07-2005, 05:14 PM
I have a 1896 cast iron well pump turned into a lamp, but its not at my house right now, a buffalo skull, some gold leaf maps framed, a dwarf named "fat Albert" who lives in the basement who would bite any of you thieving jerkwaters who came after my valuables genitals off.

ROFL
Sounds like you own many of the same items Quentin Tarantino used to decorate the basement of the gun dealer in Pulp Fiction.

--->

badgirl
01-07-2005, 05:15 PM
Nothing special, just some lamp shades made from the skin of homeless people whom nobody misses.
:eek:

Rain Man
01-07-2005, 05:29 PM

And I bet you thought you'd save some money by mail-ordering your wife from Swaziland.

Dave Lane
01-07-2005, 09:31 PM
Ptah.

It's almost a dead ringer for this statue, but the base on ours isn't so deep, and it's got more color.

http://www.ashmol.ox.ac.uk/gri/gif-files/gri-86.gif

I have several real ones ala 3000 BC.

Dave