PDA

View Full Version : Firewalls are scary...

dtebbe
01-06-2005, 11:37 PM
All I can say is after installing one at my office and looking over the logs, it's pretty scary what my $700 one will do. I cringe when I think about what the high-end ones can do. Needle out of a haystack for sure. Now I know my former employer either:
A. Payed no attention to outbound internet access
B. Laughed thier arses off at all the stuff I was looking at that I shouldn't have...

Either way, I feel pretty lucky to never have gotten called on the carpet about it.

What's funny is my employees think that we are too small of a company to know what they are doing on the internet at work. ROFL

I would put myself in Category B. above right now. LMAO

DT

Vegas_Dave
01-06-2005, 11:42 PM
Yup. I have setup several of firewalls in the range you are talking about. The general work user is not aware of what trouble they can get into.

elvomito
01-06-2005, 11:46 PM
also a clever employee can have load of fun as well. redirect tubgirl.com before every page loads

:)

warpaint99
01-07-2005, 12:35 AM
Whats really scary is all the Chinese and other foreign scans for open ports on my computer.

Scanning should be BANNED.

htismaqe
01-07-2005, 08:38 AM
The best way to stop port scanning, if you're a business (consumers can't afford it) is to purchase network-based intrusion detection.

Mile High Mania
01-07-2005, 08:44 AM
Trend Micro is a pretty nice player in this space.

Uncle_Ted
01-07-2005, 09:47 AM
also a clever employee can have load of fun as well. redirect tubgirl.com before every page loads

:)

My curiosity got the best of me. I hate you. :Lin:

htismaqe
01-07-2005, 09:47 AM
For the money, I prefer NetScreen...