PDA

View Full Version : Since this is the last dance for the Chiefs as we've known them for the last...

Chiefs Pantalones
01-07-2005, 12:21 AM
16 years and the last 4, will they finally do what it takes to go over the top instead of improving marginally just to keep the fans interested? I know this is DV's last year, and I'm willing to bet this is Carl's last year too. Will they do what is right? Will they actually make an honest effort this time around? :hmmm:

Rausch
01-07-2005, 12:23 AM
He has nothing to lose.

If he goes all out, and guesses right, he wins a super bowl.

If he doesn't, he's gone...and he's not here for the fallout from the cap hit.

Nightfyre
01-07-2005, 12:24 AM
He has nothing to lose.

If he goes all out, and guesses right, he wins a super bowl.

If he doesn't, he's gone...and he's not here for the fallout from the cap hit.
Yeah, but we are. I guess we'll take one year of shit for all the cap fallout where we trade EVERYONE for as many draft picks as we can in the year after we take cap hits draft.

Nightfyre
01-07-2005, 12:25 AM
Not sure what the poll is asking so I said yes.

HemiEd
01-07-2005, 12:28 AM
16 years and the last 4, will they finally do what it takes to go over the top instead of improving marginally just to keep the fans interested? I know this is DV's last year, and I'm willing to bet this is Carl's last year too. Will they do what is right? Will they actually make an honest effort this time around? :hmmm:

I truly feel like they were trying to do what is right all along. Obviously they have made some mistakes and it is going to be interesting to see what happens in the next 12 months. But would you have thought that Jerome Woods would be a total bust this year? I think they tried and will continue to try and do what it takes. I know for one, I am glad they did not sign Troy Vincent, Warren Sapp and some of those other high profile fee agents. JMO for what it is worth!

Taco John
01-07-2005, 12:29 AM
Sounds like a lame duck administration already dead in the water. Dick had better be a miracle worker, because if things go bad early, the wheels could fall off pretty damned quick. You guys are going to have a lot of pressure to perform immediately at the beginning of the season. That place is going to be a pressure cooker...

I *THINK* Dick probably has enough respect of the players that they'll be able to keep it together if they split in September... But if you guys get off to another start like you had in two of the last three years, it could be over well before it's over...

Chiefs Pantalones
01-07-2005, 12:30 AM
Not sure what the poll is asking so I said yes.

Will they do what it takes FINALLY to go over the top this year?

I don't know, I'm no Rainman ROFL

Nightfyre
01-07-2005, 12:31 AM
it could be over well before it's over...
Thats what she said....

Phobia
01-07-2005, 12:31 AM
I took the copout response to the poll. You're no Rainman.

I think Carl is going to pull out all the stops for Marty's last year. I can also predict that we'll go 13-3 and that we'll lose our playoff game 99-97.

Phobia
01-07-2005, 12:32 AM
I don't know, I'm no Rainman ROFL

Shutup. That's what my post says.

Nightfyre
01-07-2005, 12:33 AM
I took the copout response to the poll. You're no Rainman.

I think Carl is going to pull out all the stops for Marty's last year. I can also predict that we'll go 13-3 and that we'll lose our playoff game 99-97.
Who's Marty?

Phobia
01-07-2005, 12:33 AM
Who's Marty?

You do not want to know, lad.

Chiefs Pantalones
01-07-2005, 12:36 AM
Sounds like a lame duck administration already dead in the water. Dick had better be a miracle worker, because if things go bad early, the wheels could fall off pretty damned quick. You guys are going to have a lot of pressure to perform immediately at the beginning of the season. That place is going to be a pressure cooker...

I *THINK* Dick probably has enough respect of the players that they'll be able to keep it together if they split in September... But if you guys get off to another start like you had in two of the last three years, it could be over well before it's over...

If I'm on offense and I play for the Chiefs, I've already lost it or damned near about to; and definately will lose it if we start out crappy this year like 04 (not to mention, no FAs added to the D).

Taco John
01-07-2005, 12:38 AM
If I'm on offense and I play for the Chiefs, I've already lost it or damned near about to; and definately will lose it if we start out crappy this year like 04 (not to mention, no FAs added to the D).

Indeed... I imagine that offense has *got* to be getting pretty sick of carrying the team...

tk13
01-07-2005, 12:39 AM
Unlike most people, I believe Carl has actually been genuinely trying to win a Super Bowl all this time, he just can't do it.... he's drafted, signed free agents, built offense, defense.... I mean really, think about it, what route has he not tried to bring this team a Super Bowl? I honestly don't know what other options he could try. He's started by drafting DT and playing Marty's maulball with Okoye and Word, got aging legends in Montana and Allen to open it up, he tried splurging in FA by opening up the checkbook for McGlockton, Leslie O'Neil, etc. to build an all-star team on defense, went the cheap FA route with Priest Holmes, built an all-star team on offense, then tried to build a defense entirely through developing draft picks, and none of it has worked. I don't know if there's a team in football that has tried more different methods to winning than the Chiefs the last 10-15 years. If Carl goes after this year he might not be a success story but I won't remember him as somebody who didn't try, I'll remember him as someone who tried damn near everything over a 15 year span and couldn't get over the hump.

J Diddy
01-07-2005, 12:40 AM
Yeah, but we are. I guess we'll take one year of shit for all the cap fallout where we trade EVERYONE for as many draft picks as we can in the year after we take cap hits draft.

me and my buddy were talking about this same thing tonight
this team will be destroyed next year, with everyone retiring and the dead money to go with it

CP and DV will be on a beach and I'll be watching my 49esque Chiefs trying to hang.

It will only be worth it if they win the show next year.

HemiEd
01-07-2005, 12:46 AM
Unlike most people, I believe Carl has actually been genuinely trying to win a Super Bowl all this time, he just can't do it.... he's drafted, signed free agents, built offense, defense.... I mean really, think about it, what route has he not tried to bring this team a Super Bowl? I honestly don't know what other options he could try. He's started by drafting DT and playing Marty's maulball with Okoye and Word, got aging legends in Montana and Allen to open it up, he tried splurging in FA by opening up the checkbook for McGlockton, Leslie O'Neil, etc. to build an all-star team on defense, went the cheap FA route with Priest Holmes, built an all-star team on offense, then tried to build a defense entirely through developing draft picks, and none of it has worked. I don't know if there's a team in football that has tried more different methods to winning than the Chiefs the last 10-15 years. If Carl goes after this year he might not be a success story but I won't remember him as somebody who didn't try, I'll remember him as someone who tried damn near everything over a 15 year span and couldn't get over the hump.

I don't know anything about giving "rep" or whether I am even qualified to give but I would give you some if I could. I agree with you 100%
:thumb: I do not understand all of the negative stuff, but I guess it is a venue to vent.

tk13
01-07-2005, 12:48 AM
I don't know anything about giving "rep" or whether I am even qualified to give but I would give you some if I could. I agree with you 100%
:thumb: I do not understand all of the negative stuff, but I guess it is a venue to vent.
Well I don't know if I'm happy about it, it's kinda depressing in terms of being a football fan, we really don't have any luck whatsoever...haha.

Chiefs Pantalones
01-07-2005, 12:48 AM

I give credit to CP for trying, but he has been a failure so far. I hope he and DV walk away after this year with a Lombardi. If so, all will be forgiven by most of the fans, I know I will...all I want is a SB victory for 16 years of suffering, and for those that have been around and suffered for 30 plus years.

Chiefs Pantalones
01-07-2005, 12:53 AM
Indeed... I imagine that offense has *got* to be getting pretty sick of carrying the team...

I hope the offensive players have said something to DV and CP, it's getting pretty tiresome for the fans no doubt. Losing sucks.

HemiEd
01-07-2005, 12:55 AM
Well I don't know if I'm happy about it, it's kinda depressing in terms of being a football fan, we really don't have any luck whatsoever...haha.

When it comes to luck, we have had almost nothing but bad luck. My god, we have had two of our best players die! I really thought they had done it when they found Joe Delaney, I will never forget where I was when it was announced that he had drowned. DT58, it goes on and on. As Vermiel says: There are 30 other teams getting paid to make you fail. I only hope that the Luck turns in the Chiefs favor. I thought with the schedule it had in 2003.

HemiEd
01-07-2005, 01:02 AM
I hope the offensive players have said something to DV and CP, it's getting pretty tiresome for the fans no doubt. Losing sucks.

I can only imagine the real happenings behind closed doors are much different than the "public face" put on for us to see. Dick Vermiel and Trent Green exhibit fundamental leadership as it is taught. They may be going overboard to compensate for the state the franchise had gotten to. For the first time in my life, in the Gunther and late Marty era, I was becoming ashamed of them. They were an embarrassment!

Chiefs Pantalones
01-07-2005, 01:04 AM
Man, just think...a year from now, there will be no DV, no Carl (most likely) what is this franchise gonna look like? It certainly can't get worse. Do you guys think Al Saunders will be the one to take over, or has he fallen out of favor? Either way, this team is probably gonna be bad in 06, hopefully not though.

HemiEd
01-07-2005, 01:08 AM
Man, just think...a year from now, there will be no DV, no Carl (most likely) what is this franchise gonna look like? It certainly can't get worse. Do you guys think Al Saunders will be the one to take over, or has he fallen out of favor? Either way, this team is probably gonna be bad in 06, hopefully not though.

As I have said, I hope he does. I hope someone like the Bears don't offer him so much money that he bails. They want the Chiefs offense, they paid Tait a rediculous amount of money. They failed with Shea, I only hope Saunders hangs in there. I think he would make the Defense accountable to the Offense.

tk13
01-07-2005, 01:16 AM
It certainly can't get worse.

Bwahahaha. Be careful what you wish for. It certainly could be better but it could be a LOT worse. I know we all make fun of Carl for spewing out those stats to cover his ass but we've only had 4 losing seasons in the last 16 years, and three of those were 7 win seasons... it could be a LOT worse than that.

Chiefs Pantalones
01-07-2005, 01:23 AM
Bwahahaha. Be careful what you wish for. It certainly could be better but it could be a LOT worse. I know we all make fun of Carl for spewing out those stats to cover his ass but we've only had 4 losing seasons in the last 16 years, and three of those were 7 win seasons... it could be a LOT worse than that.

I want Super Bowl victories, though. So I'll accept the change with open arms (assuming we don't win one this year in the last of the Carl era). It'll be time for a change if we don't get it done this year anyway. When you can't get it done in 16 years, that's saying move on. Why continue to knock your head into a brick wall if it won't budge?

tk13
01-07-2005, 01:26 AM
I want Super Bowl victories, though. So I'll accept the change with open arms (assuming we don't win one this year in the last of the Carl era). It'll be time for a change if we don't get it done this year anyway. When you can't get it done in 16 years, that's saying move on. Why continue to knock your head into a brick wall if it won't budge?
Oh I never said it wasn't time for a change. This is it, and it's probably in reality been too long for Carl, but I don't think it's safe by any stretch to assume things are going to get better once Carl leaves.

Logical
01-07-2005, 02:03 AM
Will they make an honest effort this time - NO

Taco John
01-07-2005, 02:43 AM
Man I hope the Raiders don't put it together next year... It would be nice to see them stay down.

alanm
01-07-2005, 05:17 AM
Unlike most people, I believe Carl has actually been genuinely trying to win a Super Bowl all this time, he just can't do it.... he's drafted, signed free agents, built offense, defense.... I mean really, think about it, what route has he not tried to bring this team a Super Bowl? I honestly don't know what other options he could try. He's started by drafting DT and playing Marty's maulball with Okoye and Word, got aging legends in Montana and Allen to open it up, he tried splurging in FA by opening up the checkbook for McGlockton, Leslie O'Neil, etc. to build an all-star team on defense, went the cheap FA route with Priest Holmes, built an all-star team on offense, then tried to build a defense entirely through developing draft picks, and none of it has worked. I don't know if there's a team in football that has tried more different methods to winning than the Chiefs the last 10-15 years. If Carl goes after this year he might not be a success story but I won't remember him as somebody who didn't try, I'll remember him as someone who tried damn near everything over a 15 year span and couldn't get over the hump.Hmmmm. Didya ever think that maybe Carl is the problem? :hmmm:

tk13
01-07-2005, 05:21 AM
Hmmmm. Didya ever think that maybe Carl is the problem? :hmmm:
Quite possibly. :)

I believe Carl has actually been genuinely trying to win a Super Bowl all this time, he just can't do it....

HemiEd
01-07-2005, 07:23 AM
Hmmmm. Didya ever think that maybe Carl is the problem? :hmmm:

Actually I have been through the entire Carl Peterson Regime and would give him an overall B. An A for effort and a B for results. Not every team is going to have the draft success that Baltimore has had. I think he has done more things right than wrong by far. I hope they sign him to an extension! The team has been above average for a long time. :p

I also think it would not be a bad idea to take a cornerback in the 1st and 3rd, linebackers in the rest of them.

Count Alex's Losses
01-07-2005, 07:25 AM
Will they make an honest effort this time - NO

Why not?