PDA

View Full Version : What will $700,000 buy you?

redbrian
01-07-2005, 09:21 AM
If your Kansas it buys you the tag line “As Big as You Think”, that’s right folks; Kansas Gov. ponied up $700,000 in tax payer’s money for that lil ditty.

For free they could have had some of these tag lines from the Staff of the KC Star.

Kansas: As long a drive to Denver as you think.
Kansas: As unpopulated as you think.
Kansas: If We only had a brain we could think.
Kansas: As Tornado-Prone as you think.
Kansas: Even flatter than you think.
Kansas: As unevolved as you think.
Kansas: As far from the Ocean as you think.
Kansas: Please Stop.

I’m sure for a six pack of beer the Kansas Gov could of had a much better line from the sages and wits right here on the Planet.

Hell it’s a regular Algonquin around here.

morphius
01-07-2005, 09:23 AM
Well, its still less ghey then "IOWA You make me Smile".

ChiTown
01-07-2005, 09:25 AM
Well, its still less ghey then "IOWA You make me Smile".

Yeah, but Iowa only paid like $120 to get that slogan coined............

What a bunch of phuggin idiots we have in Kansas.
:banghead:

the Talking Can
01-07-2005, 09:25 AM
much better than "Missouri, we suck"

redbrian
01-07-2005, 09:31 AM
much better than "Missouri, we suck"

Such wit such prose........did you come up with that one all on your own?

Coach
01-07-2005, 09:32 AM
$700,000, hmm... sounds like a cruise would be a good thing to go to. Some new cars, a house, pay off old bills, etc.

Phobia
01-07-2005, 09:34 AM
I really have to learn where I can find such a gig. Seriously - where is the value? How could a slogan be worth that much money for a STATE?

cdcox
01-07-2005, 09:39 AM
What ever happened to:

"Kansas: Home of Beautiful Women"?

the Talking Can
01-07-2005, 09:39 AM

no, it came to me while I was banging your sister

redbrian
01-07-2005, 09:41 AM
no, it came to me while I was banging your sister

Damn dude that wasn't my sister (don't have one), that was my brother and he's been dead two years, you really are one sick puppy.

Coach
01-07-2005, 09:42 AM
What ever happened to:

"Kansas: Home of Beautiful Women"?

They moved away due to the winter. Kinda like birds, they fly south. They'll be back in the summer eventually.

Phobia
01-07-2005, 09:44 AM
Damn dude that wasn't my sister (don't have one), that was my brother and he's been dead two years, you really are one sick puppy.

We should really report this to somebody. I think I'm gonna be ill.

morphius
01-07-2005, 09:44 AM
Does this price at least include making the signs, those are pretty pricey if I remember correctly...

morphius
01-07-2005, 09:45 AM
Yeah, but Iowa only paid like $120 to get that slogan coined............

What a bunch of phuggin idiots we have in Kansas.
:banghead:
Yes, but they still got jobbed on that one.

HemiEd
01-07-2005, 09:47 AM

Have you ever compared the roads in Missiouri to those in Kansas. You can not get through Missouri without a complete front-end rebuild. Kansas is light years ahead of Missouri in road maint. Heck you can go to the Barbed wire museum in Lacrosse I think!

the Talking Can
01-07-2005, 09:48 AM
Kansas: Thank God We're Not Oklahoma

Skip Towne
01-07-2005, 09:49 AM
I'll bet if you had a sister she'd be a skank.

redbrian
01-07-2005, 09:50 AM

Have you ever compared the roads in Missiouri to those in Kansas. You can not get through Missouri without a complete front-end rebuild. Kansas is light years ahead of Missouri in road maint. Heck you can go to the Barbed wire museum in Lacrosse I think!

Have you been on 35 or 635 in Kansas?
They are one f@#ked up mess, full of pot holes, damn near took out my front end over their last night.

Coach
01-07-2005, 09:51 AM

Agreed. Driving at Missouri is like driving a car without any tires, especially the conditions on those roads. Man, the roads are just horrible. Missouri is somewhere in the bottom of the 50 states in road conditions/maintainence, aren't they?

And same goes to Oklahoma. Their roads are also horrible as well. I'm not sure if they'll be doing any construction on there anytime.

And as for Iowa, maybe some of you Iowa folks can help me out. Why in the sam hill does the speed limit has to be 65 on interstates?

redbrian
01-07-2005, 09:52 AM
I'll bet if you had a sister she'd be a skank.

And in arkansas your sister would be your mother.

HemiEd
01-07-2005, 09:57 AM
Have you been on 35 or 635 in Kansas?
They are one f@#ked up mess, full of pot holes, damn near took out my front end over their last night.

I drive almost the full length of 35 in Kansas about once a month. No reason to ever get on 635 though. The only place I know of 35 being a mess is in the KC area, have to be on your toes! But go get on I 70 in Missouri, or any other road for that matter!

HemiEd
01-07-2005, 10:01 AM
Agreed. Driving at Missouri is like driving a car without any tires, especially the conditions on those roads. Man, the roads are just horrible. Missouri is somewhere in the bottom of the 50 states in road conditions/maintainence, aren't they?

And same goes to Oklahoma. Their roads are also horrible as well. I'm not sure if they'll be doing any construction on there anytime.

And as for Iowa, maybe some of you Iowa folks can help me out. Why in the sam hill does the speed limit has to be 65 on interstates?

I agree, used to drive coast to coast, Missouri was a strong contender for worst. Iowa speed limit makes no sense except in the winter time. The wind can blow so hard across a frozen I80 that it is very tedious. I usually get by with 75 through there though.

redbrian
01-07-2005, 10:01 AM
I drive almost the full length of 35 in Kansas about once a month. No reason to ever get on 635 though. The only place I know of 35 being a mess is in the KC area, have to be on your toes! But go get on I 70 in Missouri, or any other road for that matter!

35 just west of the MO. border is one big mess, full of holes and shut down to one lane, 635 is not much better but at least you can drive faster than 5mph.

Coach
01-07-2005, 10:03 AM
I agree, used to drive coast to coast, Missouri was a strong contender for worst. Iowa speed limit makes no sense except in the winter time. The wind can blow so hard across a frozen I80 that it is very tedious. I usually get by with 75 through there though.

True on the wind, but still, 65 is just a tad too low. If they can at least get it up to 70, then that's fine with me, I can handle that. Interesting enough, I-80 in Nebraska is what, 75?

As speed limit is concerned, I remember that there was discussions about raising the speed limit in KS from 70 to 75, but I haven't heard much about it. Anyone know?

Coach
01-07-2005, 10:03 AM
35 just west of the MO. border is one big mess, full of holes and shut down to one lane, 635 is not much better but at least you can drive faster than 5mph.

Why not just take 435? Aren't they any better?

gblowfish
01-07-2005, 10:07 AM
They should have used Clint Eastwood's Josey Wales slogan about the three kinds of suns in Kansas...

redbrian
01-07-2005, 10:09 AM
Why not just take 435? Aren't they any better?

435 on the west is not bad but I have to double back to get where I need to go and 435 east you have to go through the triangle of death.

If I didn't have to go over there three nights a week I would forgo any trip to Kansas completely.

morphius
01-07-2005, 10:11 AM
True on the wind, but still, 65 is just a tad too low. If they can at least get it up to 70, then that's fine with me, I can handle that. Interesting enough, I-80 in Nebraska is what, 75?

As speed limit is concerned, I remember that there was discussions about raising the speed limit in KS from 70 to 75, but I haven't heard much about it. Anyone know?
Yup, 75 in NE. Its damn nice to be able to fly through there. I F'n hate Iowa just because of that stupid 65 mph speed limit. It's to the point now that if I want to go to Omaha I just get out of Iowa at Nebraska City and go up 75. Even though the speed limit is 60 its just less painful.

Coach
01-07-2005, 10:14 AM
435 on the west is not bad but I have to double back to get where I need to go and 435 east you have to go through the triangle of death.

If I didn't have to go over there three nights a week I would forgo any trip to Kansas completely.

Heh, well when I went to JUCO school at Highland Community College, located about 25-30 miles west from St. Joes in KS, and whenever I need to go to Olathe for my brother, I would just go on US 36 to I-29 to West I-435 to go to 35. 435 was a better and faster option to get to Olathe than going on 35 to the middle of KC.

redbrian
01-07-2005, 10:23 AM
Heh, well when I went to JUCO school at Highland Community College, located about 25-30 miles west from St. Joes in KS, and whenever I need to go to Olathe for my brother, I would just go on US 36 to I-29 to West I-435 to go to 35. 435 was a better and faster option to get to Olathe than going on 35 to the middle of KC.

Taking 9 to 635 is the best option right now if you need to get to Mission from the northland. You just have to dodge the holes and keep up on what lanes are closed that day.

KC Kings
01-07-2005, 10:26 AM

Better fitting would be, "Kansas, lacks the attention span to read an entire article"

The article in the Star explains several times that the 700g's was not to come up with the slogan, but for advertising the new slogan in travle magazines and such.

redbrian
01-07-2005, 10:31 AM
Better fitting would be, "Kansas, lacks the attention span to read an entire article"

The article in the Star explains several times that the 700g's was not to come up with the slogan, but for advertising the new slogan in travle magazines and such.

The tag line is part of the overall branding package (cost $700,000), which is still way high for what Kansas is getting.

The expected return on this project is that the tag line rates right up their with the likes of the Big Apple or the Windy City, don't think it will even come close.

tyton75
01-07-2005, 10:33 AM
why does Kansas need a freaking slogan.. its freaking KANSAS!

KC Kings
01-07-2005, 10:34 AM
The tag line is part of the overall branding package (cost $700,000), which is still way high for what Kansas is getting.

The expected return on this project is that the tag line rates right up their with the likes of the Big Apple or the Windy City, don't think it will even come close.

I don't know, I am sure once the city folks learn that Kansas has the worlds largest ball of twine and the Agricultural Hall of Fame they will be coming in droves.

memyselfI
01-07-2005, 10:37 AM
Perhaps they should have said:

"Show me a place better than Misery, that's Kansas' :thumb:

ChiTown
01-07-2005, 10:37 AM

No $hit?
:rolleyes:

The point is, who'd want to spend $700K coming up with, promoting and selling the idea that this is a great way to get people and business to Kansas.

wazu
01-07-2005, 10:44 AM
Why do Missouri trees lean to the Northeast? Because Iowa sucks and Kansas blows!

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHHDFSDFHASH1HH!

ayep.

Clint in Wichita
01-07-2005, 10:57 AM
If Kansas' leadership really wanted to bring in outside dollars, something like this would be the slogan:

"There ain't that many blacks here."

Or how about:

"Kansas: We didn't evolve...we were created."

Brock
01-07-2005, 10:59 AM
They should have just used "Kansas: We kick Missouri's ass in basketball".

Ultra Peanut
01-07-2005, 11:01 AM
Kansas: "Our" most famous city is actually in another state.

Clint in Wichita
01-07-2005, 11:02 AM
Kansas: "Our" most famous city is actually in another state.

and it sucks, too.

KC Kings
01-07-2005, 11:19 AM
They should have just used "Kansas: We kick Missouri's ass in basketball".

Then they could follow up with "Kansas: Like Florida, we only have one season.

KC Kings
01-07-2005, 11:24 AM
No $hit?
:rolleyes:

The point is, who'd want to spend $700K coming up with, promoting and selling the idea that this is a great way to get people and business to Kansas.

You're right. There should be no reason that anybody would want to promote tourism to their state. Tourist never spend any money, never pay taxes when the make purchases, and the millions of people that are now coming to the race track/Cabella's/NFT would never drive another 10 minutes to see some other cool attraction even if they new it was there.

redbrian
01-07-2005, 11:25 AM
You're right. There should be no reason that anybody would want to promote tourism to their state. Tourist never spend any money, never pay taxes when the make purchases, and the millions of people that are now coming to the race track/Cabella's/NFT would never drive another 10 minutes to see some other cool attraction even if they new it was there.

And those "cool attractions" would be?

KC Kings
01-07-2005, 11:31 AM
And those "cool attractions" would be?

I am no farmer but the Aggie Hall of Fame was pretty neat. Just in Wyandotte County the train restaraunt and childrens museum in the old mall are also attractions that I have taken the kids to and they loved them.

I don't know anything about advertising tourism, but I am sure Kansas hired professionals, that wouldn't waste 700k of tax payers money unless they thought the benifit would outweigh the cost.

The Post heading makes it sound like they spent 700K just coming up with slogan, which wouldn't be surprising now days. They fact that they plan to advertise with less than 3/4 of a million doesn't sound that unreasonable.

picasso
01-07-2005, 11:57 AM
[QUOTE]Better fitting would be, "Kansas, lacks the attention span to read an entire article"[QUOTE]
:clap:

I'm in marketing and I have to say that "As Big As You Think" sounds like you're talking about most of the women that live there. And besides doesn't Texas take that to be their pride and honor. SIZE!!! And it's true.
Although if your a guy in Kansas this slogan might not be to bad but it should read "It ain't bigger than most but it'll do." ROFL

ENDelt260
01-07-2005, 11:59 AM
No, but it only cost him $250K to have a creative thinktank come up with it for him.

Can is slightly smarter than your average Kansan.

ChiTown
01-07-2005, 12:01 PM

Again, no $hit?

Not exactly what I said or was implying, but thanks for the interpretation anyways..............

ENDelt260
01-07-2005, 12:02 PM

What in the f*ck does that have to do with anything? Is that in some sort of Kansas guidebook as standard anti-Missouri smack?

"No matter what negative thing is said about Kansas, your first retort should be, 'Oh yeah? Well, your roads suck!'"

Demonpenz
01-07-2005, 12:05 PM
"oklahoma is ok"

Brock
01-07-2005, 12:08 PM
Kansas: Where Missouri cooks its meth.

picasso
01-07-2005, 12:11 PM
Kansas: Where every meal is from Sonic

Brock
01-07-2005, 12:32 PM
Missouri: We're on "Cops" more.

Count Zarth
01-07-2005, 12:38 PM
Missouri: The only professional minor-league baseball team in America!

Demonpenz
01-07-2005, 12:42 PM

asspony, all minor leagues are "Professional". There are two baseball teams in missouri so your comment made no sense you dicknose. You just dipped below family circus on the laugh meter

ENDelt260
01-07-2005, 12:42 PM
I know posting stupid shit is kind of your forte, but this one is exceptional... even for you.

Retard.

Count Zarth
01-07-2005, 12:46 PM
Well shit, I though only MLB qualified as "professional."

Missouri: The only major-league farm system in America!

ENDelt260
01-07-2005, 12:47 PM
Well shit, I though only MLB qualified as "professional."

Missouri: The only major-league farm system in America!
You don't even understand the meaning of the word professional?

Your revised slogan is just as ignorant as the original.

Quit while you're behind, dumbass.

HemiEd
01-07-2005, 12:49 PM
What in the f*ck does that have to do with anything? Is that in some sort of Kansas guidebook as standard anti-Missouri smack?

"No matter what negative thing is said about Kansas, your first retort should be, 'Oh yeah? Well, your roads suck!'"

Best I could come up with on short notice, I will work on it. Being from Illinois it was what I thought a pretty obvious difference in the two states. I could claim impartiality but that would be less than accurate. :wayne:

Count Zarth
01-07-2005, 12:49 PM
You don't even understand the meaning of the word professional?

Your revised slogan is just as ignorant as the original.

Quit while you're behind, dumbass.

I understand the meaning of the word, I just never thought of the minors as professional.

Demonpenz
01-07-2005, 01:23 PM
I understand the meaning of the word, I just never thought of the minors as professional.

your dad should have thought about using a condom

KC Kings
01-07-2005, 01:35 PM
"Kansas: We have Clint in Wichita."

Brock
01-07-2005, 01:37 PM

Snap. That's quality. :thumb:

redbrian
01-07-2005, 01:45 PM

ROFL

And that's a good thing

The previous statment can be read with a ? or a ! it's your take.

King_Chief_Fan
01-07-2005, 02:48 PM
10 illegal hits if you are John Lynch

HemiEd
01-07-2005, 03:15 PM
10 illegal hits if you are John Lynch

That is the funniest one yet! But it actually calculates out to 9 1/3 if they do not escalate the fine as promised.

ChiefsCountry
01-07-2005, 03:43 PM

In Missouri, there are actually people to drive on the roads :)

HemiEd
01-07-2005, 03:47 PM
In Missouri, there are actually people to drive on the roads :)

Mostly Kansans going to see some has been entertainer in the Ozarks?

ChiTown
01-07-2005, 03:49 PM
Kansas: Where every meal is from Sonic

That made me LOL. :clap:

ENDelt260
01-07-2005, 03:49 PM
Mostly Kansans going to see some has been entertainer in the Ozarks?
That reminds me... I found out on Jeopardy the other day that Dollywood used to be called Silver Dollar City. I had no idea.

ChiTown
01-07-2005, 03:55 PM
That reminds me... I found out on Jeopardy the other day that Dollywood used to be called Silver Dollar City. I had no idea.

wtf? Do you live in a cave?.................nevermind.

Rausch
01-07-2005, 03:58 PM
Kansas: Where Missouri cooks its meth. ROFL

ENDelt260
01-07-2005, 03:59 PM
wtf? Do you live in a cave?.................nevermind.

Just not up on Dollywood history, I guess. I didn't realize there was ever a SDC other than in Branson.

HemiEd
01-07-2005, 04:00 PM
That made me LOL. :clap:

I must admit, I consumed quite a few of those foot long chilli cheese dogs with extra onions when I lived there. Guilty

Calcountry
01-07-2005, 04:28 PM
If your Kansas it buys you the tag line “As Big as You Think”, that’s right folks; Kansas Gov. ponied up $700,000 in tax payer’s money for that lil ditty.

For free they could have had some of these tag lines from the Staff of the KC Star.

I’m sure for a six pack of beer the Kansas Gov could of had a much better line from the sages and wits right here on the Planet.

Hell it’s a regular Algonquin around here.
The type of people who do those jobs for the gov should be the ones that have thier jobs outsourced to foreign countries.

redbrian
01-08-2005, 04:11 PM
Looks like the $700,000 was just the tip of the iceberg, now they want $1 to $2 million a year to promote this insipid branding program.

Posted on Sat, Jan. 08, 2005

AARON LINDBERG/Special to The Star
Cindy Cash, president of the Kansas City Kansas Area Chamber of Commerce, presented Kansas' new logo Friday at Kansas Speedway.

Kansas says it needs millions for new campaign

By DAVID KLEPPER The Kansas City Star

Now that Kansas has a “brand” — “Kansas, as big as you think” — officials behind the effort say millions of dollars will be needed every year to make it work.

So far, $1.7 million has been set aside for the creation of the brand and an advertising campaign to promote it. That's about twice as much as was spent promoting the old slogans in fiscal 2004.

If the campaign is to succeed in luring visitors and businesses to the state, $1 million to $2 million will need to be spent on the campaign every year, said Cindy Maude, president of Callahan Creek, a Lawrence firm hired for the campaign.

But at least one influential lawmaker said he was “not enamored” with the new brand and could think of better ways to invest public funds — such as school funding.

“That is money that could have gone to the kids,” House Speaker Doug Mays, a Topeka Republican, said at a news conference in his Capitol office Friday.

The brand was formally announced Friday in seven simultaneous news conferences throughout the state. An e-mail mistakenly sent to reporters earlier in the week pre-empted the announcement.

“We're looking at this as a long-term effort,” Deputy Commerce Secretary Steve Kelly said. “We're going to have to stay committed to this.”

Kansas usually ranks at the bottom of the states when it comes to spending on tourism and economic development. The state spent nearly $4.2 million in the past nine years on a previous tourism campaign, “Simply Wonderful.” Nearly $2 million was spent since 1999 on the economic-development campaign, “Kansas: Built on Character.”

Competition is heating up for tourism and businesses. Nebraska and Iowa recently unveiled new brands, along with increased advertising spending. In fiscal 2004, Nebraska, Iowa, Oklahoma, Colorado and Missouri all outspent Kansas in tourism promotion.

The Missouri Division of Tourism's budget is about $15 million — compared with $4.2 million for Kansas' Travel and Tourism Division. In a 2004 study of state marketing efforts, only Rhode Island spent less than Kansas.

The new branding effort aims to change that. About one-third of money used so far, about $600,000, was spent on research and creation of the brand. The rest will be spent on advertising and marketing.

Ads displaying the new tag line already have popped up in magazines such as Midwest Living. Radio and television commercials will begin Monday within Kansas. A new Web site — thinkkansas.com — is up and running.

The campaign and its tag line are meant to conjure up images of big dreams and bold thinking. That's a far different impression from the flat, boring and bland idea many have of the Sunflower State, according to Cindy Cash, president of the Kansas City Kansas Area Chamber of Commerce, who worked with the State Image Task Force.

The first two ads use two Kansans — Amelia Earhart and Dwight D. Eisenhower — as examples of Kansas spirit.

“When you come from a place with no boundaries,” reads the advertisement featuring Eisenhower, “saving the world doesn't seem so hard.”

Rain Man
01-08-2005, 04:28 PM
The cost for this is absolutely ludicrous. My firm could have done it for 25 percent less.

StcChief
01-08-2005, 04:33 PM
That would be the AAA Royals.