PDA

View Full Version : No starting Cornerbacks for Opening Day at all?

Mr. Laz
01-07-2005, 02:54 PM

Dexter McCleon - Gone (i presume)
William Bartee - i bet he's still here, but should be strickly special teams
Eric Warfield - suspended 4 games (i presume)
Julian Battle - still here, seems to be completely empty in the brain pan :(
Benny Sapp - still here, but i doubt that he is more than nickle material

mccleon gone - warfield suspended

who starts the first 4 games?

Bartee and Sapp ............... with Battle as the nickle??

we still have the Guinta factor as well ... the longer we go without any coaching moves, the less likely it seems that Guinta will go.

how scary is that ... :eek: :eek:

we prolly need to add 3 cornerbacks for next year to even be reasonable earlier in the year.

beer bacon
01-07-2005, 02:57 PM
Do what Holthus said Gunther and Carl want to do this offseason. Draft a CB and sign a CB in FA. Start Sapp at nickle.

Also, fire Guinta and let Gunther pick the new coach.

bricks
01-07-2005, 02:58 PM
it's gonna be whoever we sign in FA, and the CB we drafted in the first round.

Chief Faithful
01-07-2005, 02:59 PM
The fact that Warfield will be suspended the first 4 games may really help because it will force CP and DV to come up with at least 1 quality replacement.

htismaqe
01-07-2005, 03:00 PM

Dexter McCleon - Gone (i presume)
William Bartee - i bet he's still here, but should be strickly special teams
Eric Warfield - suspended 4 games (i presume)
Julian Battle - still here, seems to be completely empty in the brain pan :(
Benny Sapp - still here, but i doubt that he is more than nickle material

mccleon gone - warfield suspended

who starts the first 4 games?

Bartee and Sapp ............... with Battle as the nickle??

we still have the Guinta factor as well ... the longer we go without any coaching moves, the less likely that seems Guinta will go.

how scary is that ... :eek: :eek:

we prolly need to add 3 cornerbacks for next year to even be reasonable earlier in the year.

Holthus said Gunther wants at least 2, but really 3, CB's. One FA and one from the draft, plus one more from either one...

bricks
01-07-2005, 03:01 PM
Holthus said Gunther wants at least 2, but really 3, CB's. One FA and one from the draft, plus one more from either one...

where does this leave Warfield? I thought he had a decent season, but, can't hit for sh*t.

htismaqe
01-07-2005, 03:04 PM
where does this leave Warfield? I thought he had a decent season, but, can't hit for sh*t.

Leaves Warfield right where he is. You need 5 CB's and we only have 2 - him and Sapp.

McCleon, Bartee, and Battle need to be replaced...

Deberg_1990
01-07-2005, 03:04 PM

Someone should be brought in to push him at least. As far as im concerned, NOBODY on this pathetic defense should automatically be guarunteed a job next year.

bricks
01-07-2005, 03:06 PM
Someone should be brought in to push him at least. As far as im concerned, NOBODY on this pathetic defense should automatically be guarunteed a job next year.

Too be quite honest. I think he would make an excellent NB.

Mr. Laz
01-07-2005, 03:13 PM
Too be quite honest. I think he would make an excellent NB.

yep... how far this offseason pushes Warfield down the depth chart will be a good gauge about how much we've tried to improve our defense.

of course, Warfield may rise to the occasion and grab a starting spot again. But if we go into the season PREDICTING him to be a nickleback then we may have done the right things this offseason.

ideal situation IMO would be to bring in 2 starters and then have Warfield compete with our 1st round draft pick for the nickleback spot. :thumb:

i think alot of people around here will be absolutely shocked about how much our defense will improve with quality cornerbacks.

htismaqe
01-07-2005, 03:19 PM
yep... how far Warfield this offseason pushes Warfield down the depth chart will be a good gauge about how much we've tried to improve our defense.

of course, Warfield may rise to the occasion and grab a starting spot again. But if we go into the season PREDICTING him to be a nickleback then we may have done the right things this offseason.

ideal situation IMO would be to bring in 2 starters and then have Warfield compete with our 1st round draft pick for the nickleback spot. :thumb:

i think alot of people around here will be absolutely shocked about how much our defense will improve with quality cornerbacks.

i think alot of people around here will be absolutely shocked about how much our defense will improve with quality linebackers...

or quality defensive linemen...

:banghead:

InChiefsHell
01-07-2005, 03:19 PM
Leaves Warfield right where he is. You need 5 CB's and we only have 2 - him and Sapp.

McCleon, Bartee, and Battle need to be replaced...

Not to be a moron (here it comes...) but how do we know how bad Battle sucks? He's never started...did he play much this season? I remember him in preseason, but not so much during the regular season.

What makes everyone so sour on the guy? Other than the fact that for some reason he is not starting...maybe he just can't learn the system or something??

Deberg_1990
01-07-2005, 03:20 PM
Not to be a moron (here it comes...) but how do we know how bad Battle sucks? He's never started...did he play much this season? I remember him in preseason, but not so much during the regular season.

Anybody who cant beat out Bartee isnt worth taking a look at.

htismaqe
01-07-2005, 03:23 PM

What makes everyone so sour on the guy? Other than the fact that for some reason he is not starting...maybe he just can't learn the system or something??

Usually you can glean tidbits from what the coaches or guys like Gretz or Holthus say...

Everything coming from the team on Battle is negative, which tells me he's MUCH WORSE than any of us realize. Hell, they defend Bartee.

Mr. Laz
01-07-2005, 03:25 PM
i think alot of people around here will be absolutely shocked about how much our defense will improve with quality linebackers...

but Kawika Mitchell is a stud, we just have to give him chance

ROFL ROFL

htismaqe
01-07-2005, 03:27 PM
but Kawika Mitchell is a stud, we just have to give him chance

ROFL ROFL

Hey I got a paper cut here, wanna pour some lemon juice on it...

:cuss:

tyton75
01-07-2005, 03:30 PM
I really wonder if Giunta teaches the CB's not to try to locate the ball.. I've heard a lot of college coaches teach CB's to look at the WR's eyes to get big, then throw their hands between the recievers arms to break the catch up... might be great for college.. but is kicking our @ss in the Pros..

just wondering.. because none of our D-back locate the ball well in coverage

Chief Faithful
01-07-2005, 03:31 PM
I really wonder if Giunta teaches the CB's not to try to locate the ball.. I've heard a lot of college coaches teach CB's to look at the WR's eyes to get big, then throw their hands between the recievers arms to break the catch up... might be great for college.. but is kicking our @ss in the Pros..

just wondering.. because none of our D-back locate the ball well in coverage

Gun needs to dump Giunta and hire Hasty.

Brock
01-07-2005, 03:33 PM
Usually you can glean tidbits from what the coaches or guys like Gretz or Holthus say...

Everything coming from the team on Battle is negative, which tells me he's MUCH WORSE than any of us realize. Hell, they defend Bartee.

Everything coming from the team on Larry Johnson was negative also.

beavis
01-07-2005, 03:35 PM

Yeah. We'd be really good if our players didn't suck.

Mr. Laz
01-07-2005, 03:35 PM
Hey I got a paper cut here, wanna pour some lemon juice on it...

:cuss:
Poor Parker ... he's been striking out more than Slayer Diablo at Prom lately. ROFL

if it makes ya feel better i actually LIKED the Julian Battle pick. :sulk:

htismaqe
01-07-2005, 03:39 PM
Everything coming from the team on Larry Johnson was negative also.

That's a good point.

Kris Kringle
01-07-2005, 03:39 PM
Do what Holthus said Gunther and Carl want to do this offseason. Draft a CB and sign a CB in FA. Start Sapp at nickle.

Also, fire Guinta and let Gunther pick the new coach. Perfect!

htismaqe
01-07-2005, 03:44 PM
Poor Parker ... he's been striking out more than Slayer Diablo at Prom lately. ROFL

if it makes ya feel better i actually LIKED the Julian Battle pick. :sulk:

My problem is that I'm ****ing bipolar.

I get so disillusioned that I'm willing to latch on to the slightest little bit of hope. It happened with Vermeil because he was following Gunther. It happened with Sims because he was following Derrick Ransom and Nate NoGood Shitbag. And I did it with Mitchell because he just HAD to be better than Glenn Cadrez and Mike Mazlowski.

On second though, maybe it isn't me after all. If the team didn't cause me to set such LOW expectations, maybe I wouldn't behave in such a manner.

Yep, that's it. It's Carl Peterson's fault!

Mr. Laz
01-07-2005, 03:45 PM

I get so disillusioned that I'm willing to latch on to the slightest little bit of hope. It happened with Vermeil because he was following Gunther. It happened with Sims because he was following Derrick Ransom and Nate NoGood Shitbag. And I did it with Mitchell because he just HAD to be better than Glenn Cadrez and Mike Mazlowski.

On second though, maybe it isn't me after all. If the team didn't cause me to set such LOW expectations, maybe I would behave in such a manner.

Dammit Carl!!! :cuss: :cuss:

ROFL

htismaqe
01-07-2005, 03:55 PM
Dammit Carl!!! :cuss: :cuss:

ROFL

I should have listened to my own advice a long time ago...

> bad ≠ good

> bad ≠ good

> bad ≠ good

BigChiefFan
01-07-2005, 04:01 PM
Gary Baxter and Ken Lucas should be on the Chiefs targeted FA list.

ROYC75
01-07-2005, 04:04 PM

On second though, maybe it isn't me after all. If the team didn't cause me to set such LOW expectations, maybe I wouldn't behave in such a manner.

Uh Oh, maybe I was wishing Scanlon would be good enough and held out for the slightest little bit of hope after Cadrez,Bush,Mazlowski and Mitchell. :p :D

htismaqe
01-07-2005, 04:05 PM
Gary Baxter and Ken Lucas should be on the Chiefs targeted FA list.

We can't afford both of them, IMO. We need help at too many positions to sign 2 top-tier free agents at one position.

htismaqe
01-07-2005, 04:09 PM
Uh Oh, maybe I was wishing Scanlon would be good enough and held out for the slightest little bit of hope after Cadrez,Bush,Mazlowski and Mitchell. :p :D

Yes.

It's called Brian Shay Syndrome. Better known as Jessie Haynes Disease, or the Perriman Complex.

After years of suffering mediocrity Chiefs fans are willing to accept ANYTHING new and exalt it...

go bowe
01-07-2005, 04:15 PM
Yes.

It's called Brian Shay Syndrome. Better known as Jessie Haynes Disease, or the Perriman Complex.

After years of suffering mediocrity Chiefs fans are willing to accept ANYTHING new and exalt it... http://www.deephousepage.com/smilies/hail.gif
http://www.deephousepage.com/smilies/hail.gif

oh wait, there's nothing new...

yet... (well, we can hope can't we?)

htismaqe
01-07-2005, 04:21 PM

oh wait, there's nothing new...

yet... (well, we can hope can't we?)

I love that smilie!

You can now invoke it by typing the word "hail" in between two : as follows:

:hail:

Mr. Laz
01-07-2005, 04:21 PM
We can't afford both of them, IMO

yes we can ... if we REALLY wanted to

your just so used to the chiefs cheap @ss ways that your expectations are just shit.

if philly can afford McNabb,Owens,Kearse etc then we can afford Lucas and baxter AND some decent fill-in free agencts.

and philly isn't a team that blows cash ala the cheating donks

htismaqe
01-07-2005, 04:23 PM
yes we can ... if we REALLY wanted to

your just so used to the chiefs cheap @ss ways that your expectations are just shit.

if philly can afford McNabb,Owens,Kearse etc then we can afford Lucas and baxter AND some decent fill-in free agencts.

and philly isn't a team that blows cash ala the cheating donks

Well, considering we have as much money wrapped up in Green, Holmes, Gonzales, and Sims as they have in those guys, it's really not a valid comparison.

Also, they don't need starters at multiple positions on defense. We do. We can't get Baxter AND Lucas and still have enough money to get an OLB, which we SORELY need.

BigChiefFan
01-07-2005, 04:26 PM
We can't afford both of them, IMO. We need help at too many positions to sign 2 top-tier free agents at one position.I know. I'm not implying getting both of them. I'm just saying BOTH players should be on our radar, as a back-up plan if we don't land the one we prefer. I prefer Baxter. I still don't think he will command a huge signing bonus, but even if it is $ 10 million on a 6 or 7 year deal, that isn't that much in today's day and age. Yes, the money is up front with a signing bonus, but we have to INVEST into our future and I believe Baxter has ALOT of upside, especially in a bump n run, that Gunther prefers to run. It sounds like alot of money, but if he plays out the contract, we invested guaranteed money of less than $2 million a year on an ascending player at a premier position. Carl is going to have to roll the dice on some players, might as well roll the dice on YOUNG players with lots of upside that fit the Gunther scheme. Baxter is a young up and comer that fits the mold, IMO.