PDA

View Full Version : Electric Razors

jspchief
01-08-2005, 10:06 AM
My wife bought me an electric razor for christmas, and I need some opinions regarding it. I've never owned one before so am completely in the dark. My job doesn't require me to be clean shaven so I normally only shave a few times a week. If I shave too frequently, my neck gets pretty tore up. I still plan on shaving with a normal razor a couple times a week, and will use the electric to keep it in check on "in-between" days.

The thing is, she bought me the most expensive one they had. It's over $170. I can only wonder if it really is that much better than the the more affordable ones. I'd like some opinions on whether you get what you pay for on these things, or if this thing is just over-priced due to un-necessary bells and whistles. See it Here. (http://www.norelcostore.com/product_detail.asp?HDR=dry&T1=NOR+8894XL) Would I be just as well off returning it for a cheaper one?

Dr. Facebook Fever
01-08-2005, 10:18 AM
grow a beard.

BigVE
01-08-2005, 10:26 AM
It all depends on the quality of the razor. If she bought you one of the more expensive electric razors I would say stick with it for a while and you will probably like it, if its a cheapy dont waste your time.

Calcountry
01-08-2005, 10:27 AM
My wife bought me an electric razor for christmas, and I need some opinions regarding it. I've never owned one before so am completely in the dark. My job doesn't require me to be clean shaven so I normally only shave a few times a week. If I shave too frequently, my neck gets pretty tore up. I still plan on shaving with a normal razor a couple times a week, and will use the electric to keep it in check on "in-between" days.

The thing is, she bought me the most expensive one they had. It's over $170. I can only wonder if it really is that much better than the the more affordable ones. I'd like some opinions on whether you get what you pay for on these things, or if this thing is just over-priced due to un-necessary bells and whistles. See it Here. (http://www.norelcostore.com/product_detail.asp?HDR=dry&T1=NOR+8894XL) Would I be just as well off returning it for a cheaper one?
I only shave about once every week to ten days, and even then it is an afterthought. Like, Oh yeah, those pesky whiskers are back and my lip looks dirty.

Sorry, I can't help you on this one.

Phobia
01-08-2005, 10:29 AM
I have a pretty expensive Norelco as well. They're pretty nice. But, I only use mine once or twice a month - just to clean up a 5-oclock shadow for dinner or something.... My beard is so coarse, an electric is worthless for anything else. In fact, I won't own another after this one dies.

Mine is a couple years old, but I think comparable to this one: http://www.norelcostore.com/product_detail.asp?HDR=dry&T1=NOR%207885XL

The one you've shown has a lot of features I question. The sensitive skin dial has to be crap. That's a non-functioning, marketing feature as far as I'm concerned.

But

BigVE
01-08-2005, 10:35 AM
I have a pretty expensive Norelco as well. They're pretty nice. But, I only use mine once or twice a month - just to clean up a 5-oclock shadow for dinner or something.... My beard is so coarse, an electric is worthless for anything else. In fact, I won't own another after this one dies.

Mine is a couple years old, but I think comparable to this one: http://www.norelcostore.com/product_detail.asp?HDR=dry&T1=NOR%207885XL

The one you've shown has a lot of features I question. The sensitive skin dial has to be crap. That's a non-functioning, marketing feature as far as I'm concerned.

But
Im like you Phob...if I could find one that would actually SHAVE me I might keep using it. I generally had to RE-shave my face with regular razor to get shaved properly. I have never owned a very good electric razor but from the guys I know who have the nicer ones they seem to like it and use it.

2bikemike
01-08-2005, 11:19 AM
I have thought about getting an electric to clean up in a hurry. I am like several others. I only shave maybe twice a week if my wife is lucky. (or if I want to get lucky)

My whiskers don't grow real thick but I get pretty scruffy looking after a couple days. My problem with an electric is that if I used it on a daily basis it would probably do a pretty good job of keeping my face clean but it would really irritate my neck and under my jawline. If I wait 2 or 3 days between shaves then it feels like there is more pulling of the whiskers.

Hog Rider
01-08-2005, 11:37 AM
When I don't have my beard I use an old plug in Norelco. I'll use a blade once in a great while but generally the convienience and speed of the electric (even though I have to plug it in) keeps me using it. Even for an old one that could use new cutters it works well. Use a pre-shave lotion, gel or powder and they work even better. And not so rough on the skin.

I really only need to shave every other day or so. If that's your case, I think you'll be pleased. Someday I'll drop a few bucks for a new one, but somewhere along the price range, the quality of the shave ends and the bells and whistles start.

Good luck.

JP

warpaint99
01-08-2005, 01:38 PM
The panasonic wet/dry shaver can be used in the shower. Try the internet review places or consumer report. 170 dollars for a shaver is too much in opinion. I had a norelco and it was ok. Check the replacement blade prices.

I have thick beard hairs so I only shave in the shower using cheap 3 blade razors. It's really the only way to shave.

StcChief
01-08-2005, 01:47 PM
I have old Norelco 3 head still works (cover replacements needed).

I got a Panasonic, (Braun knockoff).
Works well. needs charging alot.

Easier to clean. like the foil.

BigMeatballDave
01-08-2005, 02:07 PM
I want that self-cleaning Braun...

whoman69
01-08-2005, 03:28 PM
I would say that if your beard is like you say then you don't need to use the blade anymore. I have to use the electric each morning just so I can use the blade after, my beard is so thick. Guess I have to make up for the hair on top of my head somehow.

Phobia
01-08-2005, 03:51 PM
I would say that if your beard is like you say then you don't need to use the blade anymore. I have to use the electric each morning just so I can use the blade after, my beard is so thick. Guess I have to make up for the hair on top of my head somehow.

WHAT?!?

That makes zero sense. I have the most thick and coarse beard possible and I shave with a blade even after several days growth. You need to upgrade your blade.

OmahaChief
01-08-2005, 05:20 PM
My adviceon the electric razor..... Return if for the cash becuase electrics are worthless.

Bob Dole
01-08-2005, 05:26 PM
Bob Dole's beard issue isn't so much the thickness, but that the hairs grow out almost parallel to his face, and by the time Bob Dole can make enough passes with an electric to cut the damned things, he has no skin left on his face and could have shaved 6 times with a regular blade.

Alton deFlat
01-08-2005, 08:00 PM
I just got a new Braun electric razor for my birthday. I've owned a Braun for 5-6 years. I shave every day with it, but I don't have a very heavy beard. I think this particular model cost abot $60. I like the convenience of an electric.

Mosbonian
01-08-2005, 11:10 PM
I've got a Remington MicroScreen 3 that I have had for almost 3 years and it is great.

Up until about 3 months ago I had a goatee.....what I shaved was done with an electric razor one day and a regular razor in the shower the next.

When I shaved the goatee, I was using the razor in the shower solely, but found that the electric shaver was actually easier on the area above my lip than a regular razor.

My electric shaver does a pretty good job for me, plus it does a nice job of touching up the 5 o' clock shadow if I go out to supper on business.

mmaddog