PDA

View Full Version : You wont believe this....better check them phone bills closely!

C-Mac
01-08-2005, 08:21 PM
After inquiring about the seeminly large increase in my business phone bill, I was informed by SWBell that there was a total of $278 in extra subcharges from the company IDL Teleservices paid over the past 4 months. What"? Who? I never authorized that, how did this happen?" They cant tell me "but you can call the company and settle it". I said "I thought I had a block so anyone who try's to change anything on my service would get turned down" and they said(and here is the kicker) "they cant do anything to stop it". What? Your telling me "that any company can start asking for service fees on my phone bill and I cant pre-block it and they can take my money if I fail to monitor every phone bill?"? "Yip!" What?! That is BS! They also said the only way I can to retrieve my money is to get it back from from IDL! :mad:
It seems to have all started about when one of my employees listened to a scam recording played on the phone by this IDL company. So I just want to share this with fellow planeteers and that you may need to watch your phone bill closely.....like we need just one more thing to waste our time with. I guess even cell phone bills are not amune to this either. It wouldnt surprise me if someone here on this board is also getting charged without knowledge. Below is some complaints about this IDL company.
Unfreakin believable! :cuss:

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/cell_phones/ild_02.html
http://www.csua.berkeley.edu/~tien/consumer/ild-others.html

ENDelt260
01-08-2005, 08:25 PM
a) Am I the only one who looks at his phone bill every month anyway?

b) Sounds to me like your problem is solved by firing one moron.

C-Mac
01-08-2005, 08:30 PM
a) Am I the only one who looks at his phone bill every month anyway?

b) Sounds to me like your problem is solved by firing one moron.

I have like five different phone bills and dont take the time that I should. But these people are slick and abusing the system and seeminly can't be stopped as of now.

PS. He has been fired, but not for this issue.

Ari Chi3fs
01-08-2005, 08:30 PM
thanks for the $278 bucks man... my IDL scam is working magically.

PastorMikH
01-08-2005, 08:36 PM
Personally, I don't see how I would have to get MY money from the other company - especially if I refuse to pay the bill. Sounds like the Phone company will need to get THEIR money back.

Thanks for the head's up though! We have SWBell at the house and at the office and I will be watching both places a little closer now.

C-Mac
01-08-2005, 08:38 PM
thanks for the $278 bucks man... my IDL scam is working magically.

Its a good thing for you that your training to be a caged fighter.

Ari Chi3fs
01-08-2005, 08:40 PM
Its a good thing for you that your training to be a caged fighter.

Plus Im pretty sure my soul-mate La Fawnduh could kick your ass.

C-Mac
01-08-2005, 08:42 PM
Personally, I don't see how I would have to get MY money from the other company - especially if I refuse to pay the bill. Sounds like the Phone company will need to get THEIR money back.

Thanks for the head's up though! We have SWBell at the house and at the office and I will be watching both places a little closer now.

I would refuse to pay, but Ive had the same business number for 15 years....

:cuss:

PastorMikH
01-08-2005, 08:44 PM
I would refuse to pay, but Ive had the same business number for 15 years....

:cuss:

Seriously, I would start looking by callingthe Better Business Bureau or even consult an attorney. That just sounds too wrong to get by.

C-Mac
01-08-2005, 08:52 PM
Seriously, I would start looking by callingthe Better Business Bureau or even consult an attorney. That just sounds too wrong to get by.

Im telling you they have found a legal loophole and are milking millions from us unsuspecting consumers. I just cant believe that SWB cant stop the sub charges. I guess there likened to 900 numbers. They even scammed a state goverment office in one the the complaints.
What large Cahoona's they have! :cuss:

C-Mac
01-08-2005, 08:53 PM
Plus Im pretty sure my soul-mate La Fawnduh could kick your ass.

Wont happen.... I voted for Pedro and got the "protection" plan.

Valiant
01-08-2005, 09:35 PM

Listen to this advice, i went to the attorney general over a eighty dollar bill by a collection agency... they still try and get me to pay it... usually just getting a the AG, lawyer, or another company will get them to drop the money..

PastorMikH
01-08-2005, 10:13 PM
Im telling you they have found a legal loophole and are milking millions from us unsuspecting consumers. I just cant believe that SWB cant stop the sub charges. I guess there likened to 900 numbers. They even scammed a state goverment office in one the the complaints.
What large Cahoona's they have! :cuss:

So, did the employee in question make a call that got charged? Or did he in some way give the caller permision to talk? If your employee gave an OK to the person calling, you may be sunk.

I'd still fight it. Stuff like this, I'd rather spend more to fight it to put a stop to it. I can't help but think someone doesn't have jurisdiction in this or that there aren't enough other people scammed to put a class-action lawsuit together.

BTW, isn't this the kind of stuff the FCC is supposed to protect us from?

The Pedestrian
01-08-2005, 10:21 PM
Ever seen the movie "Payback"?

Cmac: [to an IDL bigwig] Give me the money that's rightfully mine...278.
IDL: There's no way in hell I'm going to give you that much just because you say it's yours...so I think I'm going to keep my $278 thousand.
Cmac: No, not $278 thousand, just $278.
IDL: Well, either way, I can't get you the money.
Cmac: Then who can?
IDL: Normally we have a committee do these things.
Cmac: If you go high enough you get to one person...who?
IDL: I guess that would be Bailey. Now tell me, why so little? Is it a principle thing?
Cmac: [starts walking out] Nevermind that. And if you see him before I do, tell him it's $278!
IDL: $278? My suits are worth more than that!

Yes, I'm aware that the few quotes that really were in the movie are somewhat inaccurate, and "IDL" says things that were said by two different characters (Carter and Fairfax)

Ari Chi3fs
01-09-2005, 02:12 AM
Wont happen.... I voted for Pedro and got the "protection" plan.

Oh yeah, well Im a paying member at Rex-Kwon-Do's Dojo... thats right.

C-Mac
01-09-2005, 03:03 AM
So, did the employee in question make a call that got charged? Or did he in some way give the caller permision to talk? If your employee gave an OK to the person calling, you may be sunk.

I'd still fight it. Stuff like this, I'd rather spend more to fight it to put a stop to it. I can't help but think someone doesn't have jurisdiction in this or that there aren't enough other people scammed to put a class-action lawsuit together.

BTW, isn't this the kind of stuff the FCC is supposed to protect us from?

No they called with a recorded message and he just answered things like verification of address and his name, age. It stated that you get a free weblisting for a couple of months and was verifying info, but if you didnt catch the small talk and didnt call in to cancel it, they will start billing you after the free period. Real smooth slick stuff. By the looks of some of the complaints I had listed, they have other stories and methods they use too. The main problem again to me is how easy the phone co allowing anyone to add a subservice charge to my bill. Secondly I'm sure they have had lawyers go over the recorded message to make it legal. They actually keep a recording of the conversation and I'm having a copy sent to me. I will fight this the best I can.