PDA

View Full Version : Who would you like to be the next Chiefs Head Coach?.

Logical
11-20-2000, 12:09 PM
Personally I was pissed when we re-sighned Shottenheimer and did not go out and get Parcells while he was available. Someday, someway, I would like to see Bill come to KC. I know that will probably never happen especially with King Carl around but it is still my wish. It would be nice to have players wanting in KC instead of wanting out.

DoubleWannaB
11-20-2000, 12:11 PM
A human testosterone gland...

Idahojim
11-20-2000, 12:13 PM
FRANK GANZ...... :rolleyes:

hehe...Al Saunders would be OK !

BigChiefsFan
11-20-2000, 12:16 PM
I think Saunders would be a great coach.

Other than that, I'd look in the college ranks. Perhaps the guy from Stanford, or maybe the coach of Marshall—that guy took a Division II team and has made them into a Div. I contender . . . quickly. Gotta be better than what we got.

Hackett's available! :D

MM
--Where can I apply?<P>

Mi_chief_fan
11-20-2000, 12:17 PM
Big Daddy,

At this point in time, I would be favoring Bill Cowher(sp). I love his style and enthusiasm. At one point in time this past year, I had had enough of the smashmouth brand of football the Chiefs played the past 10 years, but now find myself missing Cowher's line-em-up and smack-em in the mouth style on both sides of the ball.

I just love it when his team does something good, and he is out on the field greeting his players with fire in his eyes and his lower jaw jutting out. That's football! That's football Chiefs style!

mlyonsd
11-20-2000, 12:20 PM
You guys had Al Saunders and Mike McCarthy, who's doing a ang up job with N.O., on staff and let them get away.

Players now seem to respond better to younger coaches rather than the old school types........ May I suggest Butch Davis if he can be pried away from UM....... If not Willie Shaw is a genious you know.

Logical
11-20-2000, 12:23 PM
Coogs,
Yes, I like Cowhers as well. I think the only reason he hasn't won the big one is because the Steelers are just too cheap to keep their good players. I cant believe they can even compete with the amount of good players they lose every year.

Mi_chief_fan
11-20-2000, 12:24 PM
Would also love to see Cowher bring Dillon in to be his RB. Don't think we see rotating backs every play anymore.

Mi_chief_fan
11-20-2000, 12:26 PM
Big Daddy,

Exactally! They still compete inspite of all the losses they suffer personal wise each year. I think it is because of his personality. It is perfect for a football coach!

Idahojim
11-20-2000, 12:26 PM
JQ

Whem Marty left,I wanted Al then,with Gunther as DC,Fire everyone else.Didn't get my wish then,won't now either! :(

[This message has been edited by ROYC75 (edited 11-20-2000).]

TheBigChief
11-20-2000, 12:29 PM
Cowher would be a great choice... but ONLY if we replace CP as well! We need a new CEO/President & GM to go along with our firey new coaching staff!! (JEFF DIAMOND!!!!!)

Cowher is a great choice because, unlike his mentor, he is not afraid to open up the O. He likes a strong running game, but will not depend solely upon it if he has a strong passing game to compliment it. His defenses are ALWAYS aggressive & dominating.

Problem: he recently signed a contract extension in Pittsburg. I know a lot of fans there have been calling for his head - but I don't think the Steeler front office shares their sentiments.

redfan
11-20-2000, 12:29 PM
Peterson thought Raye would make a better OC than Saunders. Why does he hire him as HC? Peterson will not fire Gun. It would reflect on him. He will fire the coordinators and let everyone think they were "Gun's Guy's" and therefor Guns mistakes. That being said, if I had to name a HC canidate I would say that Sherm Lewis has proven himself (with and without Holmgren) worthy of serious consideration.

Clint in Wichita
11-20-2000, 12:30 PM
I would like a big shot coach to run the show, but with Carl it's not going to happen. So Saunders and Kubiak would be my top choices. I don't know why Sherm Lewis hasn't gotten a job either.

My prediction is another year of Gun...

bishop_74
11-20-2000, 12:41 PM
IMO, Cowher is just another Marty.

I'm not ready to give up on Gun yet, although I wish he would do something to keep me from looking like an idiot week after week.

Warrior5
11-20-2000, 12:42 PM
I'm goin out on a limb here...

Marvin Lewis - DC in Baltimore.

I know, I know, 'Not another DEFENSIVE COACH!!!' Yeah, I hear ya. But my opinion is, offensively we aren't that far away from a very dominating team personell wise. Grab Dillon, Garner, or RSmith and a Gaurd/Center FA, and we're ready to roll! This makes the HUGE assumption JRaye get SH!TCANNED along with ALL other coaches, and a new OC is brought in. Mike Riley?

Defensively, we are in need of a serious overhaul!!! First off, we can't even afford above named FAs without cutting the dead weight, and this WILL come first and foremost from the DLine. What this team REALLY needs, IMO, is a complete change in Defensive philosophy, and I want a Defensive minded Head Coach to oversee this.

ct
fire away

Idahojim
11-20-2000, 12:45 PM
IMHO....I liked John Mac.when we had him,gave up for Ganz,he would be a good OC.maybe with the right coaches beside him,HC !

Your thoughts welcome!

[This message has been edited by ROYC75 (edited 11-20-2000).]

j molina
11-20-2000, 12:48 PM
I like the Kubiak idea, but I don't know whether he'd accept. I think when Marty left Kubiak was mentioned and it was rumoured that Kubiak is too loyal to the Denver organization and would not go to a division rival. However, if the right amount of money were thrown at him, who knows.

I also like Cowher, but he's not going anywhere. Some people in Pittsburgh may be calling for his head, but the general sentiment (at least in my part of PA) is that Cowher resurrected the Steelers and can do it again. Plus he is from western PA and is a sentimental favorite.

I personally would like to see a young guy come in with a fresh perspective and bright future. I just want a gutting of this team of all coaches and even a lot of front office guys a la New Orleans Saints last year. I am willing to suffer a couple of mediocre to poor seasons while we rebuild.

[This message has been edited by DJay23 (edited 11-20-2000).]

bkkcoh
11-20-2000, 12:52 PM
Bob Stoops is the best young coach in the country.
2 years ago,he took a pile of crap at Oklahoma, and turned them into the favorite to win the National Championship.

Dr. Red
11-20-2000, 01:20 PM
I like the idea of Bob Stupps as well. And if nepotism would be a problem, I'd take Bob's brother over Marty's brother as DC.

My dream lineup would be Denny Green as manager and coach [two titles, to lure him from a very sucessful franchise]. Keep JRAye [gasp]. DC, Ray Sherman. The Green/Raye/Sherman tandem would send a strong message to the athletes that the Chiefs are a progressive organization that recognizes ability w/o regards to color. On STs, I wish that Ganz could be coaxed back, but I doubt the bad-blood has drained away as yet. So my vote goes to John Harbaugh of the Eagles.

homebizy
11-20-2000, 03:10 PM
I have been wrong few times, but I was dead on accurate with Cunningham. When buy cheap, you get what you pay for. No other team concidered Cunningham and it is obvious why. Gunter is the lowest paid head coach in the NFL. Only Mike Rielly is lower. His QB rotation has failed misserably and Cunningham's RBOC has failed as well. Both of these guys will be looking for coordinator jobs when the seasons over. Cunningham is playing for his job this Sunday, IMO.

What bothers me most about Cunningham is that he has no idea of the makeup of his team. First its a running team, then a passing, and now, he wants HIS defense back. If the Chiefs ran as well as Gunter runs his mouth, they would be undefeated. Gunter embarrasses the Chiefs and their organization with his mouth. He should be fired along with the idiot that hired him.

ChiefsFanatic
11-20-2000, 03:14 PM
Cowher would be my choice. We need some fire on the sidelines... another scowl and bark to take on Gruden's.

I'd still like to see Art Shell HC again too.

ChiefsFanatic
11-20-2000, 03:17 PM
On second thought, I want a very dominating HC. Someone who will take on Carl Peterson and isn't afraid to scrap it all... but then again, CP is the one who does the hiring...

Logical
11-20-2000, 03:51 PM
I like cowhers but I still think that Parcells is the proven choice. I believe that this team is only maybe two or three players short from being able to win the big one. Parcells attracts players and could fill the positions quickly. Players want to play for him ( kind of like Phil Jackson )because they know that he can take them there. When you have a coach like that you don't have to depend on the draft alone to pick up your talent, they will even come over for less $$$$$$$

Phobia
11-20-2000, 03:54 PM
Parcells is an east coast guy. He's not going to move out to the midwest.

F. Gump
11-20-2000, 04:06 PM
Larry Smith is available now. :D

------------------
[i]Pizza is a lot like sex. When it's good, it's really good. When it's bad, it's still pretty good. </I>

TheBigChief
11-20-2000, 04:06 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Helvetica, verdana, ariel">quote:</font><HR>IMO, Cowher is just another Marty<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I believe that is only partially correct: Cowher is intense, focused and can motivate a team 'will them to succeed' - just like Marty. Difference: Cowher is not as rigid as Marty offensively. Bill Cowher will take risks - he'll throw the ball; he'll run the shotgun, reverses, screens, draws... all of it! Before FA (i.e. cheap owner) tore his team (and coaching staff) apart, he guided that franchise to a SuperBowl. I bet he could do the same here with just a few additions (namely, RB, MLB and DT)

ColoradoChief
11-20-2000, 04:20 PM
Cowher would be good, but it is unlikely he'll be leaving Pittsburgh anytime soon. I would also like Marvin Lewis, Sherman Lewis, or Gary Kubiak.

Packfan - Actually, I believe Cunningham was considered by other teams. i could be wrong, but I'm quite certain Chicago was one of them.

Hawaiianboy - You mentioned mcCarthy, we also had Ron Zook (their DC) on our staff last year. But hey, we had Schott, we didn't need him.

DaveC
11-20-2000, 05:32 PM
Steve DeBerg

Vortex Dweller
11-20-2000, 06:39 PM
Gary Kubiak (youth rules!)

BigChiefsFan
11-20-2000, 07:16 PM
No way in hell Parcell comes to KC.
1. Not enough media to feed his ego.
2. He'd have to live in Kansas City part of the year.
3. Not enuff cap room to make drastic changes.
4. Lamar won't fire Carl until he loses $$. People pay, Carl stays.
5. He'd have to live in Kansas City part of the year.

The fact is, while I love it here, east coast people find there's nothing to do. And until Lamar or the $$ goes, I'm afraid Carl will stay, IMO.

And Cowher (sp?) will stay in Pittsburgh. It's his dream job in a town perfect for his style.

I think a youngish, college coach or assistant would bring a fresh attitude (read Kubiak--loyalty goes out the pisser with enough $$). The only problem with that is Carl would still probably handle most of the business side. Let's just hope he doesn't develop another case of Turret's when in negotiations.

MM
--Fears Carl will never leave.

[This message has been edited by Mark M (edited 11-20-2000).]

Stuckinbama
11-20-2000, 07:49 PM
G-Man,
You are correct - Gun was considered by the Bears and the Panthers.

Stuckinbama
11-20-2000, 07:53 PM
IMHO, there is only one PERFECT head coaching fit for KC and that's Bill Cowher. He would RESTORE our once feared defense. He also would open up the offense with all the tools we have in KC. He has tried to do just that at Pittsburgh, but he has NO QB or TE or WR's. If he is let go after this year - Carl should JUMP at the chance to sign BILL COHWER!

Lurker Brett
11-20-2000, 08:38 PM
I want something fresh, Stoops looks great to me, retreads are a waste of time. Of course, I would like Parcells, but for all the reasons given, he won't be coming this way.

mlyonsd
11-20-2000, 09:05 PM
I guess hindsight is 20/20
but you could stayed inhouse and had....

HC Al Saunders
OC Mike McCarthy
DC Ron Zook

Impressive.

I like the nomination of Jack del rio... IMO he'll be a hell of a coach in this league soon.

mcan
11-21-2000, 06:22 AM
THE JAW!

That's right. Cowher.

He's a Marty deciple, has already coached here, has shown he can not only successfully coach an offense, but his defense remain dominant as well. He's taken a team with average qb's at best to the playoffs 6 of 9 times, and is winning this year with virtually no talent on offense, and no name play makers on defense. When he's got something to work with, and even without it, this guy's a winner. His GM has bought bus tickets out of town for anyone bold enough to go to the pro bowl and HE STILL FINDS A WAY TO WIN.

NOT ONLY THAT, but other than his unimaginative offensive coordinator this year, he's had a history of great assistant coaches to play his style of physical football.

Oh, and he's not afraid to air it out....

Phobia
11-21-2000, 07:26 AM
Cowher? C'mon people...look at Pittsburgh. TERRIBLE offense, good defense. Remind you of anyone?

mcan
11-21-2000, 07:31 AM
Well Titus let's see,

Pittsburg has had more probowlers leave than KC had in the 90's...not the Jaw's fault.

Pitt has also gone to a Super bowl....Part Cowher's fault.

Pitt is a terrible team still winning games and in the playoff hunt....Part Cowher's fault...

Pitt has a defensive minded coach who's defense is still having success....part Cowher's fault....

Pitt has more young talent than most nfl teams....This year it's Cowher's fault.

Cowher has also made a living out of sticking to his guns and pulling winning seasons out of early season trouncings....Part Cowher's fault..

Sound like the exact opposite of anybody?

Phobia
11-21-2000, 07:46 AM
I dont put much stock in 'probowlers'. If Steve Bono can go to the probowl or if Trent Dilfer can go to the probowl, it doesnt mean too much.

Pitt went to a SB in '95. If one remembers, the Colts nearly knocked them out as well as KC. The game winning TD was scored by none other than Bam Morris.

Pitt is sitting at 5-6. My, that record sounds familiar.<P>

SamuraiMike
11-21-2000, 08:25 AM
I think cower would be a good choice because he would get all them deadarses on the dline to play or be gone.Probably the later. Further more it would be interesting to see what he could do with a few good offensive weapons like the chiefs already have, and with him we would at least develop or get a proven runningback and stick with him. Another name I keep wondering about is Tony Dungy, if the bucs fail again this year, someone could feel its time for a change.

SamuraiMike
11-21-2000, 08:25 AM
I think cower would be a good choice because he would get all them deadarses on the dline to play or be gone.Probably the later. Further more it would be interesting to see what he could do with a few good offensive weapons like the chiefs already have, and with him we would at least develop or get a proven runningback and stick with him. Another name I keep wondering about is Tony Dungy, if the bucs fail again this year, someone could feel its time for a change.

Dave Lane
11-21-2000, 08:26 AM
Bill Cowher as head coach.
Norv Turner as OC.

------------------
It looks I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue!

Gaz
11-21-2000, 08:45 AM
I'd jump at the chance if Cowher was available, but I'm not convinced he will be, now that he has won the power struggle in Pitt relatively recently. Having said that though, I would still prefer (1) an offensive minded HC with (2) a strong DC and (3) a proven track record. Bring in Norv Turner with Ray Rhodes as DC.......assuming they get canned after the season. *fingers crossed*

I think that CP is aware that his own new deal is not a guarantee. He has only hired 2 coaches during his reign. Marty was a great choice no matter what way you spin it. He might have been retained too long, but overall he had as much to do with turning the Chiefs around as CP IMO. Then he took a chance on a promotion from within the organisation by hiring Gun. I don't think he will be likely to make that same mistake again. He (hopefully) realises that he is going to be choosing a HC who is going to have to save his own a$$ by at least making it to the playoffs. He might be willing to hire a top-notch coach? It seems as though Gun has had a lot of free rein to choose personnel in the draft, starting players etc. I wouldn't care if CP stays, as long as he hires a proven coaching staff [b]that actually knows what it's doing!</B>

Baby Lee
11-21-2000, 09:19 AM
My how times change........

I posted a topic similar to this when we were 0-2, and I caught alot of crap for it, saying I had no loyalty. Now look, everyone else wants Gun's head on a platter.

DoktorSmith
11-21-2000, 09:27 AM
Mi_chief_fan-

Congratulations on your prescience.

How about shooting me the winning PowerBall numbers?

xoxo~
gaz
abandoning the IRA retirement plan.<BR>

Baby Lee
11-21-2000, 09:29 AM
Gaz,
Only if you give your word on the honorable playbook of Mike Stock that you'll share a little wealth with me. :)

Good luck in retirement........

Chief Nathan
11-21-2000, 11:10 AM
Bob Knight....

bishop_74
11-21-2000, 11:14 AM
Book burning is usually considered offensive and nazi'sh, but burning the Stock playbook is definitely proof that there is an exception to every rule.

Logical
11-21-2000, 11:17 AM
jl80,
Bob Knight - ROFLMAO

Moon§hiner
11-21-2000, 11:20 AM
I would be interested in Gary Kubiak.

TheBigChief
11-21-2000, 11:21 AM
I agree... if we can lure him away from the Donkeys that is. I don't know how loyal he is to RatFace - that would determine whether or not he would be available to another AFCW team.

Moon§hiner
11-21-2000, 11:25 AM
Loyalty can usually be overcome by the liberal use of the checkbook.

Warrior5
11-21-2000, 11:53 AM
I really don't think Kubiak is all that loyal to shanerhan, who won't even let him call the offensive plays! That is exactly why I don't want Kubiak anyway. IMO, Kubiak has very little to do with Denver's offensive success. Soon, Kubiak will get his HC job, and quickly be exposed as a complete fraud!!

Anyone know much about Marvin Lewis, current DC in Baltimore, former DC in Pittsburgh under Bill 'The Jaw' Cowher?

tomahawk,

I also thought of Dungy, whom I really like, but I just don't see him, or Cowher gettin fired. That's why I brought up Lewis earlier, and now again.

ct

Cannibal
11-21-2000, 12:40 PM
My first two choices are pipe-dreams, but If I were Lamar I would offer an OBSCENE amount of money to Parcellsa and Gibbs to see if either of them wanted to be GM/Head Coach.

My next choice from within the NFL would be Sherm Lewis. He did a good job in Green Bay and is doing well in Minnesota.

My darkhorse candidate would be Richt, the FSU offensive coordinator/QB coach.

I am really surprised at the # of people who want Cowher. With the Bengals, Browns and Ravens (except for this year) he had 6 easy games a year, not to mention the Titans before they moved to their current home. Pitt should have been 13 game winners all during the late 90's.

Clint in Wichita
11-21-2000, 01:01 PM
This is not the guy I want, but last time one of Carl's candidates was Herman Edwards (I think that was his name), who used to be an assistant here and I believe is the assistant head coach/db coach in Tampa under Dungy. That is Carl's type of guy, and with him having a few more years under his belt now, I wouldn't be surprised if he were at the top of the list.

Of course I still expect Gun will get one more year. I hope I'm wrong...

Gaz
11-21-2000, 01:11 PM
Wolf......don't say that :eek: :)

[This message has been edited by Cormac (edited 11-21-2000).]

Warrior5
11-21-2000, 01:15 PM
I am also very surprised so many folks so badly want a return to Marty's Era.

For GOD sakes people, we still have yet to RID ourselves of the Marty Era!!! ENOUGH ALREADY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ct
just had to get that off my chest

Donkey Drew
11-21-2000, 02:29 PM
Marty Mornhinweg - Offensive Coordinator for the 49er's. He worked with Brett Favre (now Garcia), work with Mike Holmgren, Andy Ried, Jon Gruden and Steve Mariucci. He's detailed and has proven his worth as an offensive coordinator. As far as GM, I'd like to see John Butler from Buffalo (his contract is up after this season). He's done a great job of keeping Buffalo competitive, even after the loss of Jim Kelley, Thurman Thomas, Andre Reed and Bruce Smith.

Warrior5
11-21-2000, 05:03 PM
OH great, another Marty! http://www.chiefsplanet.com/ubb/rolleyes.gif

KCJohnny
11-21-2000, 09:54 PM
OU's Stoops

Vortex Dweller
11-21-2000, 10:02 PM
Jim Carrey

Yosef_Malkovitch
11-21-2000, 10:06 PM
Dom Capers