PDA

View Full Version : Beltran supposedly to sign with the mets

Miles
01-09-2005, 01:47 AM
I thoughy the Astros were a good team for him but looks like he is going for the money.

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/topstory/2984377

BELTRAN SAYS ADIOS TO ASTROS
Houston star to sign with Mets, his agent says
By JOSE DE JESUS ORTIZ
Copyright 2005 Houston Chronicle

Despite a record contract offer from the Astros, free agent Carlos Beltran will not play for the team next season.

Beltran, the 27-year-old center fielder who helped the Astros to their first playoff series win and captivated the city's baseball fans with his amazing array of skills, turned down the biggest contract in Astros history just a few minutes before an 11 p.m. Saturday deadline and chose to sign with the New York Mets.

"It slipped through our fingers in the last, last few minutes," said Astros owner Drayton McLane, who was told by Beltran's agent that Beltran was finalizing his deal with the Mets. "It was just some sticking points. It should never, never have gotten to this."

Because Beltran earlier had declined salary arbitration, the Astros had until the 11 p.m. deadline to sign him or lose negotiating rights until May 1. The deadline didn't apply to the Mets, and they capitalized with a flurry of late negotiating sessions from about 5 p.m. until late into the night as Beltran's agent, Scott Boras, also kept talks open with the Astros.

"We must have had eight or nine conversations (with the Astros) today, and they made a very competitive offer," Boras said.

Beltran's offer from the Astros was believed to be for seven years and more than $105 million, surpassing in total value the Astros' previous record contract of $85 million for Jeff Bagwell.

"I think we were very, very competitive with our offer," said McLane, who arrived at his office in Temple at 7 a.m. and took the first call from Boras at 10:30 a.m. "I have no idea what the (Mets') final offer is, but Scott said ours was very, very competitive."

Beltran's decision came after a long and agonizing day for the Astros and their fans, who had clung to the desperate hope that the player would stay in Houston.

Beltran had 38 home runs with 104 RBIs and 42 stolen bases between the Astros and Kansas City Royals last season.

He raised his stock in the playoffs, hitting .435 with eight home runs, 14 RBIs, nine walks and six stolen bases over 12 games while leading the Astros within a victory of the franchise's first World Series berth.

Beltran's postseason excellence caught the baseball world's attention.

The Astros were 38-34 and two games behind in the wild-card race before Beltran was traded to Houston in a three-team deal that sent closer Octavio Dotel to the Oakland A's and top catching prospect John Buck to Kansas City.

After picking up Beltran, the Astros were 54-36 (.600) with him to win the National League's wild-card playoff berth by a game ahead of the San Francisco Giants.

The Astros had hoped to make Beltran the face of the franchise, both as a player and as an ambassador to Houston's large Latino community.

Despite the fact Beltran chose to go elsewhere, McLane's pursuit created a tremendous sense of good will between the franchise and the Latino community, said several prominent Houston political and business leaders.

"I'm excited about the energy and focus Drayton McLane put on this opportunity," said Councilman Adrian Garcia, who was a member of the old Astros' Buddy program as a child. "It demonstrated Drayton McLane's commitment to maintain a winning team. It's a great opportunity to create an image that's consistent with the city of Houston."

"Drayton is to be commended for making the offer, for taking such a serious and significant position," said Councilwoman Carol Alvarado, a longtime Astros fan who submitted a letter urging Beltran to sign with the Astros. "Thank you to our city leaders who stepped up and sent letters and proclamations to Carlos. We really wanted to make clear we were serious about baseball."

So, too, did McLane. He made a personal plea to Beltran on Dec. 22 when the player and his agent visited with top Astros officials. The parties had numerous negotiating sessions since Dec. 22, closing out the dialogue with four consecutive days of phone calls that went up to the final minutes before the deadline.

Beltran's box office appeal just added to the Astros' desire to keep him. The Astros' attendance with Beltran rose, going from an average of 37,547 before he was acquired to 38,655 after. Part of McLane's recruiting was a highlight video showing Beltran the support he got from Houston fans during the magical ride through the playoffs.

Ultimately, though, Beltran chose the Mets.

"I think we ran out of time," Astros general manager Tim Purpura said.

HolmeZz
01-09-2005, 01:48 AM
About time my Mets started to pay for good talent. I like how our offense currently stacks up and our rotation's good enough to win in the national league. Should be a good season.

Hopefully this doesn't fall through. I already had Urban Meyer to ND pulled out from under me. :(

the Talking Can
01-09-2005, 01:49 AM
bad choice....the Mets blow and will always be 2nd fiddle to the Yankees....

Demonpenz
01-09-2005, 01:49 AM
i remember a couple years ago when he played for the royals. He was good back then.

Ari Chi3fs
01-09-2005, 01:50 AM
Beltran is a greedy cock sucker. KCUF him.

By JOSE DE JESUS ORTIZ

Demonpenz
01-09-2005, 01:52 AM
i thought he wanted to be somewhere with alot of latino's i guess houstan doesn't have enough of them.

tk13
01-09-2005, 01:53 AM
I was just reading through some baseball boards, and it seems like there is a fair share of people that are surprised he went for the money. I just cannot understand why people are surprised, his agent is Scott Boras. I'm not even 1% surprised that he didn't re-sign with the Astros.

All I have to say is welcome to the Royals world, hopefully this will shut up everybody (including plenty of non-Royals fans) who dissed the Royals because they thought they were actually being cheap with Beltran....

Demonpenz
01-09-2005, 01:54 AM
maybe boras will F maglio over and the royals can pick him up for a year

Miles
01-09-2005, 01:57 AM
About time my Mets started to pay for good talent. I like how our offense currently stacks up and our rotation's good enough to win in the national league. Should be a good season.

Hopefully this doesn't fall through. I already had Urban Meyer to ND pulled out from under me. :(

Yeah they are good about paying up for players they just dont really spend that wisely. Even if Beltran plays at the level he did with KC rather than that sick second half he had last season it will be a solid signing for them. However they may have paid out the ass for him considering the contract that the Astros offered.

Still the mets contending will have a lot to do with how health Pedro really is.

Ari Chi3fs
01-09-2005, 01:59 AM
i love being one of the "Have-nots" in baseball. Good Times.

Miles
01-09-2005, 02:02 AM
I was just reading through some baseball boards, and it seems like there is a fair share of people that are surprised he went for the money. I just cannot understand why people are surprised, his agent is Scott Boras. I'm not even 1% surprised that he didn't re-sign with the Astros.

All I have to say is welcome to the Royals world, hopefully this will shut up everybody (including plenty of non-Royals fans) who dissed the Royals because they thought they were actually being cheap with Beltran....

Boras's clients dont always go for the largest payoff. Rolen for instance is a Boras client and took less to stay with the Cardinals. But thats kind of a rare example.

And yea your right about the Royals trade. There was no chance in hell that they could have kept him even if they could have offered him a good deal.

tk13
01-09-2005, 02:03 AM
The best part is some of these Astros fans I'm reading on their board all pissed off on how he bad he is because he turned his back on their city and all this stuff... blah blah blah, he was an Astro for like 4 months, he was ours for nearly 6 years, I don't want to hear any of this garbage. I hope the Cubs and Cardinals beat your stupid team into 4th place. Blah. :)

tk13
01-09-2005, 02:09 AM
Boras's clients dont always go for the largest payoff. Rolen for instance is a Boras client and took less to stay with the Cardinals. But thats kind of a rare example.

And yea your right about the Royals trade. There was no chance in hell that they could have kept him even if they could have offered him a good deal.
Yeah, but Rolen has balls, I imagine he probably stood up for himself. Carlos would never do that, he lets Boras handle everything, at least that's the impression I get. According to someone on the Astros site that summarized a radio interview with the Astros GM tonight, Boras was very protective of Carlos and that he had not allowed the Astros to personally talk to Carlos since December 22nd.... while supposedly allowing the Mets GM to fly to Puerto Rico to meet with Carlos. Some fans seem shocked Boras is such a snake.

Miles
01-09-2005, 02:11 AM
The best part is some of these Astros fans I'm reading on their board all pissed off on how he bad he is because he turned his back on their city and all this stuff... blah blah blah, he was an Astro for like 4 months, he was ours for nearly 6 years, I don't want to hear any of this garbage. I hope the Cubs and Cardinals beat your stupid team into 4th place. Blah. :)

Yeah it was pretty obvious that this could happen when they traded for him last year. He was a rental player that they had a outside chance of signing. With them also losing Kent and Miller to FA and Clemens likely to retire their fans cant be too happy at this point.

Ari Chi3fs
01-09-2005, 02:14 AM
Woo Hoo. Hoo. Hoo. Hoo. Woo Hoo. Hoo. Hoo. Hoo.

Hoo Hoo.
Hoo Hoo.

Woo Hoo. Hoo. Hoo. Hoo.

Miles
01-09-2005, 02:17 AM
Yeah, but Rolen has balls, I imagine he probably stood up for himself. Carlos would never do that, he lets Boras handle everything, at least that's the impression I get. According to someone on the Astros site that summarized a radio interview with the Astros GM tonight, Boras was very protective of Carlos and that he had not allowed the Astros to personally talk to Carlos since December 22nd.... while supposedly allowing the Mets GM to fly to Puerto Rico to meet with Carlos. Some fans seem shocked Boras is such a snake.

Thats the same impression i got from reading about it. Boras basically played the Astros and their deadline to get a better offer from the Mets.

Its hard to be suprised about anything Boras does to get a client more money. He has scored some moster contracts for his players but the big downside seems to be that he doesnt really consider puting them the best situation baseball wise.

Ultra Peanut
01-09-2005, 02:51 AM
i thought he wanted to be somewhere with alot of latino's i guess houstan doesn't have enough of them.ROFL

redsurfer11
01-09-2005, 10:52 AM
Finally, the Mets sign a player that the Yankee's wanted. The world must be coming to an end.

Cochise
01-09-2005, 10:54 AM
I'm just happy that Steinbrenner didn't get him.