PDA

View Full Version : Terry Shea appears close to re-joining Chiefs

tk13
01-09-2005, 02:18 AM
http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascitystar/sports/10600365.htm

Shea may return to the Chiefs

By ADAM TEICHER The Kansas City Star

One year after leaving the Chiefs' coaching staff, Terry Shea on Saturday appeared ready to return.

Shea, fired last week as the Bears' offensive coordinator, was discussing a job with Chiefs coach Dick Vermeil. His hiring looked imminent, though Vermeil was unavailable to discuss the situation.

Shea, 58, joined the Chiefs in 2001 and spent three seasons as the quarterbacks coach. He left for Chicago this season on the staff of new Bears coach Lovie Smith.

Shea was let go after only one season. The Bears were last in the NFL in scoring, total offense and passing yardage.

The Chiefs had yet to determine what position Shea would coach. His old job was filled this season by Jason Verduzco. Vermeil's staff has one vacancy. Tight-ends coach Keith Rowen departed last week to become offensive coordinator with the Arizona Cardinals.

Manila-Chief
01-09-2005, 02:21 AM
58 .... I didn't realize the guy was that old. Seems like all of our coaches are near/or over the hill....

teedubya
01-09-2005, 02:23 AM
way to revamp our coaching staff... yee haw.

Phobia
01-09-2005, 02:24 AM
58 .... I didn't realize the guy was that old. Seems like all of our coaches are near/or over the hill....

58 isn't old. Jeez.

teedubya
01-09-2005, 02:25 AM
ROFL at Greg Hill's Brother In Law...

Rausch
01-09-2005, 02:25 AM

Our season has been over for one week...

Manila-Chief
01-09-2005, 02:26 AM
Agree ... unless most of the staff is that old or older. Need younger coaches to id with the players.

Hammock Parties
01-09-2005, 02:29 AM
Hopefully as the QB coach and not the OC for HC Saunders...

I think maybe Green suffered a bit from losing him.

tk13
01-09-2005, 02:32 AM
Hopefully as the QB coach and not the OC for HC Saunders...

I think maybe Green suffered a bit from losing him.
Gah, I didn't think about that.... I say make Solari the OC. I don't want to lose any more of our good coaches, although I think Shea got a totally raw deal in Chicago considering Grossman got hurt and Lovie traded his most established offensive player (Marty Booker) for a DE.

Hammock Parties
01-09-2005, 02:35 AM
Gah, I didn't think about that.... I say make Solari the OC. I don't want to lose any more of our good coaches, although I think Shea got a totally raw deal in Chicago considering Grossman got hurt and Lovie traded his most established offensive player (Marty Booker) for a DE.

I don't know if Solari has any playcalling experience.

Anyway, Saunders isnt going to be the HC anytime soon, if we can put stock in Carl's comments.

Manila-Chief
01-09-2005, 08:24 AM
How about Pete Carrol for HC when D.V. leaves?

He's done a remarkable job in college. At or on top the last couple of years!!!!

htismaqe
01-09-2005, 08:26 AM
How about Pete Carrol for HC when D.V. leaves?

I sincerely hope you're ****ing kidding...it's only been 5 years since he almost ran the Patriots into the ground...

Hammock Parties
01-09-2005, 08:28 AM
I sincerely hope you're ****ing kidding...it's only been 5 years since he almost ran the Patriots into the ground...

Yeah no kidding. Dennis Erickson needs to go back to college too.

Manila-Chief
01-09-2005, 08:35 AM
Well, maybe he has learned a thing or 2 since then?

Bill Belichick didn't do too well his first time around ... at ... was it the Browns????

I'm not excited about Al S. becoming H.C. We can do better. Not saying it ought to be Pete but we ought to find a better coach. Just because a guy can call plays doesn't mean he can run a team.

htismaqe
01-09-2005, 08:37 AM

Bill Belichick didn't do too well his first time around ... at ... was it the Browns????

I'm not excited about Al S. becoming H.C. We can do better. Not saying it ought to be Pete but we ought to find a better coach. Just because a guy can call plays doesn't mean he can run a team.

Pete Carroll is no Belichick. Carroll is more like Spurrier.

And I agree, I don't want Al Saunders anywhere near the HC position of this team...

royr17
I wouldnt have any problem with this at all.

Hammock Parties

I think Stoops is our next head coach. I just have a gut feeling.

royr17
01-09-2005, 08:42 AM
I think Stoops is our next head coach. I just have a gut feeling.

I have felt the same about this as well as has my dad. So yea probably, Stoops is probably our next HC.

htismaqe
01-09-2005, 08:44 AM
Q: Why would Stoops leave Oklahoma, where he's on his way to joining the "short list" of LEGENDARY COACHES, to join a team that has a couple of playoff wins in 30 years?

A: He wouldn't.

kc-nd
01-09-2005, 08:44 AM
http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascitystar/sports/10600365.htm

The Bears were last in the NFL in scoring, total offense and passing yardage.

Good, maybe if he joins and has an influence on the offence, our defense in 2005 will be better than our offense.

whoman69
01-09-2005, 10:38 AM
I think its totally unfair to blame Shea for the collapse of the Bears offense. They had absolutely no talent and went thru QBs like a suppository.

GMitch
01-09-2005, 10:49 AM
Q: Why would Stoops leave Oklahoma, where he's on his way to joining the "short list" of LEGENDARY COACHES, to join a team that has a couple of playoff wins in 30 years?

A: He wouldn't.
I think Stoops is happy at Oklahoma but he's starting to take some heat for the Sooner's poor showing in the last two championship games. Also, he's losing a lot of talent off of this year's team so the 2005 record may not be quite so good (He may even lose to Texas (gasp)). He might be ready to move on and he's already been seen hanging around Arrowhead.

Mr. Laz
01-09-2005, 10:53 AM
we rotate our practice squad with the same players over and over again ... why not the coaching staff.

Vermeil's a lazy,goofy ol' man :shake:

Bob Dole
01-09-2005, 11:03 AM
Carl and Gunther are plotting an uprising because Dick is out of town and unavailable for discussions, but Terry Shea is talking to Dick about a job and a hiring seemed imminent, except Dick was out of town and unavailable to discuss the situation.

Ummm... Okay.

C-Mac
01-09-2005, 11:26 AM

Belechick did a great job at the Browns with the exception of the "moving the Browns" year and was actually my choice after Marty was fired.
:cuss:

Lzen
01-09-2005, 12:38 PM
Belechick did a great job at the Browns with the exception of the "moving the Browns" year and was actually my choice after Marty was fired.
:cuss:

Correction, Marty resigned. He was not fired. Just FYI.

philfree
01-09-2005, 01:43 PM
Maybe he can help us with our 2-minute drill. Greens QB rating sucks the last two minutes of the half and the 4th quarter.

PhilFree :arrow:

BigChiefFan
01-09-2005, 01:45 PM
Not a bad pick-up. He helped Green alot, but TE coach?

go bo
01-09-2005, 02:25 PM
58 .... I didn't realize the guy was that old. Seems like all of our coaches are near/or over the hill....hey, speak for yourself...

oh, wait...

Alphaman
01-09-2005, 03:09 PM

Does the offensive coaching staff need revamping? I don't think so.

Why is everyone so against Al Saunders? When our HC position comes open, how many of you will be pining over a hot coordinator like Romeo Crennel? If the Chiefs make some improvements on D this year and make a big run to the SB next year, I'd like to maintain the continuity and promote Saunders.

Here's something to think about: What did they say to Saunders to convince him to not take the Raider job or the Cornhusker job?

teedubya
01-09-2005, 03:16 PM

no shit. we need Guns coaches on D. But more importantly, we need D.

Im so sick of Efenses.

Raiderhater
01-09-2005, 03:22 PM

Why is everyone so against Al Saunders? When our HC position comes open, how many of you will be pining over a hot coordinator like Romeo Crennel? If the Chiefs make some improvements on D this year and make a big run to the SB next year, I'd like to maintain the continuity and promote Saunders.

Here's something to think about: What did they say to Saunders to convince him to not take the Raider job or the Cornhusker job?

In all honesty, I am not overly impressed with his play calling.

I have this great fear that he is another Mike Martz just waiting to happen.

Skip Towne
01-09-2005, 04:32 PM
58 isn't old. Jeez.
Thank you. Thank you very much.

beavis
01-09-2005, 05:11 PM
I think Stoops is happy at Oklahoma but he's starting to take some heat for the Sooner's poor showing in the last two championship games. Also, he's losing a lot of talent off of this year's team so the 2005 record may not be quite so good (He may even lose to Texas (gasp)). He might be ready to move on and he's already been seen hanging around Arrowhead.
Anyone who would put heat on someone for playing in 3 national title games in 5 years and winning one of them is an idiot.

If I'm not mistaken, he was seen at Arrowhead the week of the Big XII championship game. The sole reason being... he was in town.

This place gets more and more like the National Enquirer everyday.

go bo
01-09-2005, 05:16 PM
Anyone who would put heat on someone for playing in 3 national title games in 5 years and winning one of them is an idiot.

If I'm not mistaken, he was seen at Arrowhead the week of the Big XII championship game. The sole reason being... he was in town.

This place gets more and more like the National Enquirer everyday."as the planet turns..." :p :p :p

Alphaman
01-09-2005, 05:47 PM

Help me understand the "not overly impressed with his play calling"

This offense has been in the top 5 in yards and scoring the last 3 years. Trent has passed for over 4000 yards in 2 of those and came close in the other one. Our WRs have been mediocre at best until this year. This is the first year that TG has had 1000 yards in this offense.

Saunders has to be doing something right.

It's fine if fans don't want him as the head coach. But I'll be perplexed if they don't want him, but will want to bring in one of the "hot" coordinators next year.

Deberg_1990
01-09-2005, 06:44 PM

This offense has been in the top 5 in yards and scoring the last 3 years. Trent has passed for over 4000 yards in 2 of those and came close in the other one. Our WRs have been mediocre at best until this year. This is the first year that TG has had 1000 yards in this offense.

It's fine if fans don't want him as the head coach. But I'll be perplexed if they don't want him, but will want to bring in one of the "hot" coordinators next year.

What he said....I dont understand where some of you guys get off calling him "not very good" ???????? Its his playcalling that has won games for us these past 4 season. It sure hasnt been the defense! Sure, hes not prefect but its hard to come down on a guy who helped develop, Priest, Trent this magnificent O-Line, Tony G, Kennnison etc....

Ralphy Boy
01-11-2005, 01:04 PM

No offense to AS, but he's not as good an OC as Martz. He would however IMO be a better HC than Martz if only because he worked for DV for more than 1 year & spent more time in the league having once actually been a HC not to mention being an OC for more than 1 year before being named HC.

Martz's lack of balance in playcalling nowadays & poor clock management have been simply laughable. That said, his first year success with the offense in St Louis was unbelieveable. Lightning in a Bottle.

htismaqe
01-11-2005, 01:21 PM

We need to maintain continuity?

:cuss: :cuss: :cuss: :cuss:

That's the LAST thing we need. We need to break this endless cycle of failure.

htismaqe
01-11-2005, 01:22 PM

Some of Marty's offenses racked up gobs of yards too.

It's about making critical plays at critical times.

Saunders has proven far too often, especially in crucial short-yardage situations, that he'd rather play "fancy" than "smart".

KCTitus
01-11-2005, 01:23 PM
I have to agree with Parker...I mean it's fairly obvious, with Shea KC went 13-3 and w/o him went 7-9. It's all right there.