PDA

View Full Version : Carl asked for my opinion on how to improve the Chiefs...

shaneo69
01-10-2005, 09:55 AM
here's what I told him....

---Tell DV to send Guinta packing and let Gunther hire Chuck Cecil as Secondary coach. Keep Vernon Dean as an assistant, as Warfield has actually played his best football the last two years under Dean's tutelage.

---If Terry Shea returns, you have an inside track on your QBotF, Mike McMahon. Sign him as an UFA and let him learn under Trent for a year. Keep Collins and let Huard walk.

---If Johnny Morton is let go, as even Gretz admits is likely, sign UFA Cedrick Wilson from S.F. as a #2/3 WR. He had 47 catches for 630 yards in 15 starts in 2004 but broke his left fibula (similar to Kris Wilson, I guess) at the end of the year, so we should be able to get him cheap. He just turned 26 in December, and he's the type of WR that DV likes. You would have Kennison, Parker, Wilson, Hall, and then let Horn, Boe, and Richard Smith fight for the #5 spot. I'm not counting on Boe's seamless return from a major knee injury.

---Your O-line is set, and you already have future replacements for Shields and Roaf in Welbourn and J. Black; do not draft or sign any FA's. Sampson can be the starter at RT in '05.

---Let Blaylock go and draft a RB in the 6th or 7th round to be 3rd string. Sign two FB's as undrafted free agents, and let them fight for Easy's position behind T-Rich.

---Sign UFA Reggie Hayward. He had 9.5 sacks, plus one more in the playoff game. Let him, Allen, Hicks, and Wilkerson be your DE rotation.

---Make Siavii a starter next to Sims, with Dalton and Browning behind them. Our two high draft picks need to start and play well.

---Make K. Fox a starter at LB, and hope Fujita improves on the other side. Trade down in the 1st (to replace the 3rd rounder that we gave up for Welbourn) and draft Odell Thurman. I think the guy is another Al Wilson. This should force Kawika to the sidelines. He can come in on 3rd and long and snuff out the screens.

---Sign Gary Baxter and draft a CB in round 2 to go with Warfield and Sapp. Cut McCleon.

---If Wesley and Woods are due 2nd tier option bonuses (which I read somewhere that they are), let them walk. Make Pile and Harts the starters, and let Battle, Bartee, and Connot fight for back-up spots at safety. End Battle and Bartee's CB experiments.

That's it. Comments? Too much money spent on the four UFA's, or not enough?

tyton75
01-10-2005, 10:16 AM
damn.. thats pretty good.. although I would like to see Dalton start.. he's earned it.. and I'm not sure if Fox and Fuj are our starters at OLB.. I like Fuj.. hard worker.. but I dont' think he has what it takes

DaKCMan AP
01-10-2005, 11:08 AM
If you were going to draft a MLB I would take Channing Crowder over anyone.

htismaqe
01-10-2005, 11:08 AM
Wilson and McMahon will likely come cheap. Hayward and Baxter likely will not.

Might be doable...

Claynus
01-10-2005, 11:19 AM
I like everything except...

Mike McMahon is a grade-A dipshit. He's like Plummer on crack and steroids. Avoid at all costs.

Keep Wesley. I think he's solid.

Dalton and Siavii should start. Hopefully Siavii can beat out Sims lard ass.

ROYC75
01-10-2005, 11:27 AM

And what did he say ? :hmmm: Did he offer you a job ?

shaneo69
01-10-2005, 11:51 AM
And what did he say ? :hmmm: Did he offer you a job ?

He told me we are cashed out and cannot afford any free agents this offseason. Then he said I should stick to being a Chiefsplanet genious.

DanT
01-10-2005, 11:52 AM
That looks like some pretty good advice, shaneo69.

I wonder how much Reggie Hayward will command on the free-agent market. He might be overpriced. In looking at his numbers, I see that 3 of this sacks this year came against the Titans when they were missing their usual left tackle.
http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/235077
(You can find that game's Game Book and the Titans Depth Chart at NFL.COM, also.)

On the other hand, not counting that game, he still has 19 sacks in 46 career games, which seems pretty good for a guy who came into the league as a somewhat undersized but well-regarded player.

If the Chiefs can get him at a fair price, he could be a good pickup.

I wonder what the Bronco fans think of him.

shaneo69
01-10-2005, 11:56 AM
If you were going to draft a MLB I would take Channing Crowder over anyone.

I had read some good things about him that you had posted previously, but someone else kept bringing up his criminal record, so that made me a little leery of him. But I've never really noticed him when I've watched the Florida games, so I don't have any first hand knowledge of him. Thurman, OTOH, I noticed immediately because he was all over the field and he reminded me of Al Wilson.

Straight, No Chaser
01-10-2005, 12:02 PM

---Make K. Fox a starter at LB, and hope Fujita improves on the other side. Trade down in the 1st (to replace the 3rd rounder that we gave up for Welbourn) and draft Odell Thurman. I think the guy is another Al Wilson. This should force Kawika to the sidelines. He can come in on 3rd and long and snuff out the screens.

I would tell Gunther this a not such a good idea. Too risky unless you enjoy watching the 3rd down % of the opposing team pop a boner every week. Everything else you've typed: me thinks you think a lot about football.

--->

shaneo69
01-10-2005, 12:08 PM

I wonder how much Reggie Hayward will command on the free-agent market. He might be overpriced. In looking at his numbers, I see that 3 of this sacks this year came against the Titans when they were missing their usual left tackle.
(You can find that game's Game Book and the Titans Depth Chart at NFL.COM, also.)

On the other hand, not counting that game, he still has 19 sacks in 46 career games, which seems pretty good for a guy who came into the league as a somewhat undersized but well-regarded player.

Yes, I listened to that donks-Titans game on the radio on my way home frm Arrowhead (I think that was Christmas night) and Hayward had a great game against backup OT Jason Mathews. Sounds like Vonnie Holiday, doesn't it? OTOH, Jared Allen played against Mathews two weeks earlier and didn't get 3 sacks. Then, Hayward got one against Tarik Glenn in the playoff game.

The rest of the donks' d-line sucked this year, so he didn't have much help. You're right though. Pass-rushers usually don't come cheap, so I don't know if we could afford him.

Claynus
01-10-2005, 12:09 PM
Yes, I listened to that donks-Titans game on the radio on my way home frm Arrowhead (I think that was Christmas night) and Hayward had a great game against backup OT Jason Mathews. Sounds like Vonnie Holiday, doesn't it? OTOH, Jared Allen played against Mathews two weeks earlier and didn't get 3 sacks. Then, Hayward got one against Tarik Glenn in the playoff game.

The rest of the donks' d-line sucked this year, so he didn't have much help. You're right though. Pass-rushers usually don't come cheap, so I don't know if we could afford him.

Hayward is a RDE anyway. We need a LDE.

Misplaced_Chiefs_Fan
01-10-2005, 12:14 PM
I'd pass on Baxter.

I've watched entirely too many Ravens games where he makes me think of McCleon. He'll play great for a while, then take a mental vacation and give up a big play. (See opening play against Miami).

Too much money for too little production, IMNSHO.

Spend the money you were going to spend on Baxter and swipe Hartwell from the Ravens instead.

shaneo69
01-10-2005, 12:16 PM
Hayward is a RDE anyway. We need a LDE.

Didn't Jared Allen play LDE in college? If he can gain 15 pounds this offseason, I would think he'd be a prototypical LDE at 6'6 280. If not, I'd let Hicks play on 1st and 2nd down and send Allen in on passing downs. But I thought in the draft-day films I saw of Allen, he was playing on the left side at Idaho St. Maybe Idaho Jim can verify.

KCFalcon59
01-10-2005, 12:16 PM
Feasible....but keep mcmahon as far away from KC as possible. That guy sucks.

Claynus
01-10-2005, 12:22 PM
Didn't Jared Allen play LDE in college? If he can gain 15 pounds this offseason, I would think he'd be a prototypical LDE at 6'6 280. If not, I'd let Hicks play on 1st and 2nd down and send Allen in on passing downs. But I thought in the draft-day films I saw of Allen, he was playing on the left side at Idaho St. Maybe Idaho Jim can verify.

I dunno, but Jared Allen is an everydown defensive end. He needs to be out there all the time.

We need to find a replacement for Hicks. Bottom line.

shaneo69
01-10-2005, 12:23 PM
I'd pass on Baxter.

I've watched entirely too many Ravens games where he makes me think of McCleon. He'll play great for a while, then take a mental vacation and give up a big play. (See opening play against Miami).

Too much money for too little production, IMNSHO.

Spend the money you were going to spend on Baxter and swipe Hartwell from the Ravens instead.

Okay, you've changed my mind and I'll do that. The next free agent CB option is Ken Lucas. We could sign Lucas and Hartwell instead of Baxter and Hayward, but then we need to draft Pollack, James, Spears, S. Cody, or Roth in the 1st round. Not bad. I kind of like that idea.

Brock
01-10-2005, 12:33 PM
McMahon can't take Joey Harrington's job away from him. That can't be a good sign.

tk13
01-10-2005, 12:37 PM
McMahon can't take Joey Harrington's job away from him. That can't be a good sign.
From watching him play just a couple times, he seems really athletic and he can run around and sling it really well... the problems have to be in his head. The Plummer comparison might not be far off, although I think McMahon might be more athletic with a better arm.

Claynus
01-10-2005, 12:41 PM

I think that has something to do with Harrington being a high 1st round pick.

I think it's very possible the Lions let Harrington go this offseason and make McMahon the starter. I'd LOVE to see the Chiefs pick up Harrington as a QBOTF. I think he has all the tools, he just needs a QB coach.

Claynus
01-10-2005, 12:42 PM
From watching him play just a couple times, he seems really athletic and he can run around and sling it really well... the problems have to be in his head. The Plummer comparison might not be far off, although I think McMahon might be more athletic with a better arm.

That is the basis of my "crack and steroids" comparison.

DanT
01-10-2005, 12:58 PM

It turns out that I was wrong about the Titans usual starter at left tackle. Contrary to the NFL.COM team depth chart (http://www.nfl.com/teams/depthcharts/TEN), Brad Hopkins is their usual starting left tackle. Jason Mathews started 7 games this year due to some injuries to Hopkins, including a broken hand that Hopkins suffered in November. However, the NFL.COM game book for the Christmas game against the Broncos (http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/gamebook/NFL_20041225_DEN@TEN) says that Hopkins started that day and that Matthews didn't play, so that means that Hayward had a great game against a veteran and two-time Pro Bowler (2000, 2003).

Pack fan
01-10-2005, 01:49 PM
Carl Peterson woudn't be doing any of that. He'll be far more likely to give draft picks for Players that can be had for free via free Agency every year. You chief fans will continue to fill the stadium and be in the same predicament again next season.

Coach
01-10-2005, 01:50 PM
Carl Peterson woudn't be doing any of that. He'll be far more likely to give draft picks for Players that can be had for free via free Agency every year. You chief fans will continue to fill the stadium and be in the same predicament again next season.

Looks like we got ourselves a troll here. :shake:

Pack fan
01-10-2005, 01:53 PM
A troll might have more football knowledge than some Jr High school girl vollyball coach. You see, fans of the Packers are actually INFORMED about football, unlike Titus.

Misplaced_Chiefs_Fan
01-10-2005, 01:59 PM
Sounds like Ken to me.

Typical garbage from him.

Quick, someone ask him what an "H-back" is.

Nope, come to think of it, sounds like someone doing an imitation of Ken (and not that convincing of one at that).

Pack fan
01-10-2005, 02:01 PM
Everyone knows what an Hback is misplaced. Every team has a half back. I didn't bother answering that silly question because it was just too easy and beneath me.

Try something a little more harder next time.

Frankie
01-10-2005, 02:06 PM

Hayward was a great DE at Iowa State and I was hoping the Chiefs would draft him, since I knew he would go lower than his talent due to being a Cyclone. I was bummed when the Donks, of all teams, got him.

Dr. Facebook Fever
01-10-2005, 02:12 PM
your QBotF, Mike McMahon.
:spock:

Ugh.

Brock
01-10-2005, 02:13 PM
Yay! Another tiresome multiple ID troll.

DanT
01-10-2005, 03:43 PM
Hayward was a great DE at Iowa State and I was hoping the Chiefs would draft him, since I knew he would go lower than his talent due to being a Cyclone. I was bummed when the Donks, of all teams, got him.

Sounds like a good guy. Here's an old article about him that appeared in the Cedar Rapids Gazette before Iowa State's 2000 Insight Bowl game:
http://www.gazetteonline.com/special/cyclones/bowlstory23.htm

Father's stroke in 1997 gave Iowa State's Hayward a new outlook on life
Posted December 27, 2000
By Jim Ecker
Gazette sportswriter

PHOENIX -- Iowa State defensive end Reggie Hayward was getting ready to play Kansas as a red-shirt freshman in1997 when he received bad news from home. His father, Reggie Hayward Sr., had suffered a stroke at age 50.

It left his father handicapped and disabled. And it shattered Reggie Jr.'s world.

``I didn't play in the Kansas game,'' he said Tuesday, taking a break in preparations for Thursday night's meeting with Pittsburgh in the Insight.com Bowl. ``I spent extra time with him.''

Suddenly, football wasn't so important.

``It told me not to take anything for granted,'' he said. ``You don't know when anything will happen to you. You respect everyone and thank the Lord for what he's blessed you with. Because you can lose it just like that.

``One day my father was a fine, healthy man. He could walk and do everything he wanted to do. And then after that, he can't get everywhere he wants to. Count your blessings.''

Many of the Cyclones have family members with them here in Phoenix, but not Hayward. It's hard for his father to travel, and it would be very expensive for his mother, Debra Thomas, who drives a delivery truck in Chicago.

``It costs $600 to fly from O'Hare out here, so I told her just to save it and watch it on TV,'' Hayward said. ``I wouldn't want her to pay all that money, and it would be $150-plus for a room. So everyone is going to be at home cheering for me on TV.''

Iowa State Coach Dan McCarney noticed a change in Hayward after his father's stroke.

``It was a real tough thing for Reggie to go through,'' McCarney said. ``It's been part of his maturation process, I think, and having to have more responsibility back home and be there for his mother. He handled it with class. I think it brought that family even closer together.''

Hayward is from Dolton, Ill., in the south suburbs of Chicago, the youngest of four children. There are some mean streets in south Chicago, but Hayward said he avoided trouble.

``I didn't have a lot of problems, a lot of worries,'' he said. ``I was never a follower, so I never got into the bad aspects of Chicago.

``I was the neighborhood good guy. They just called me the athlete. I was cool with everybody and I got along with everybody. No problems out of me.''

He heard bullets fly, but never saw them or got in the middle.

Hayward said he rejected scholarships from Nebraska, Michigan and Michigan State to attend Iowa State, primarily because he wanted to play early in his career. But he questioned himself when the Cyclones finished 1-10 his freshman year.

``There's always a time where you doubt your decision,'' he admitted. ``My first year we got walloped by Nebraska by like 77 points. It was a cold, gloomy day.''

Hayward remembered giving himself a pep talk before that game, to ``give his all'' and help ISU upset Nebraska. He had to quickly regroup.

``After the first play, I was finding myself dragging 15 yards back to the huddle. I'm thinking to myself, `Whoa, what have I gotten myself into?' Those days are gone and it's all happy days now.''

Hayward, 6-4, 250, made second team all-Big 12 this year. He'll compete in the East-West Shrine and Hula Bowl all-star games next month, looking to improve his shot for the NFL draft. He's heard he could be a late-second or early-third round pick with a chance to play in the league. That's all he wants, a chance.

That's all he wanted at Iowa State, a chance to play and a chance to make a bowl game. It took his entire career to get here, but he's here, a key performer for an 8-3 team that has a chance to win the first bowl game in Iowa State history.

``It makes you appreciate it more,'' he said. ``I never had an opportunity to play in a bowl game. So I'm not taking it for granted and I'm enjoying every moment of it.''

Hayward and all the Cyclones have received nice gifts at the bowl game like Insight.com apparel, a Swiss Army knife and a ring.

``It's all going to be wrapped up and given out as late Christmas presents for the family to enjoy,'' he said.

All but the ring.

``That's one thing I will keep, because that's a memory that will last forever.''

htismaqe
01-10-2005, 04:00 PM
A troll might have more football knowledge than some Jr High school girl vollyball coach. You see, fans of the Packers are actually INFORMED about football, unlike Titus.

This is not Packfan!

I repeat, this is not Packfan.

Were it the REAL Packfan, he would have referred to Titus as "Tits".

ROFL

Claynus
01-10-2005, 04:05 PM
This is not Packfan!

I repeat, this is not Packfan.

Were it the REAL Packfan, he would have referred to Titus as "Tits".

ROFL

I've got 10-1 it's Phobia.

eazyb81
01-10-2005, 04:33 PM
Based on your scenario, I would like to see us go after Andre Carter from S.F. instead of Reggie Hayward, even though he might cost a little bit more. Carter and Julian Peterson are free agents this year, and I think S.F. will franchise Peterson, leaving Carter available. Personally though, I think the best decision would be to sign Ken Lucas and hopefully Ed Hartwell and then draft a pass rushing DE in the 1st or 2nd round. D end seems to be a plentiful position in this draft (James, Cody, Pollack, Spears, Roth, Tuck, etc.), and we could pick up a quality CB in the 2nd round to challenge as a nickel or dime back.

shaneo69
01-10-2005, 05:44 PM
Based on your scenario, I would like to see us go after Andre Carter from S.F. instead of Reggie Hayward, even though he might cost a little bit more. Carter and Julian Peterson are free agents this year, and I think S.F. will franchise Peterson, leaving Carter available.

I don't think Andre Carter is a UFA. Here's the 49ers UFA list from CBS Sportsline...

FREE-AGENT UPDATE: Unrestricted -- TE Steve Bush (signed late in the season to add some blocking strength in the run game but shouldn't be a big priority to re-sign); WR Curtis Conway (the 49ers need to get younger and faster at this position), DT Chris Cooper (was added in the middle of the season because of all the injuries on the line), C Brock Gutierrez (the veteran started 15 games after Jeremy Newberry down, but they'd like to upgrade at this spot), S Ronnie Heard (should be able to find someone better to take starting role), RB Terry Jackson (not a bad player on special teams or as a backup but shouldn't be a high priority to re-sign), LB Julian Peterson (coming back off torn Achilles, might give 49ers a chance to sign him to a long term deal; if not, they can use the franchise tag again), K Todd Peterson (was very consistent, but the club might have to carry a kickoff specialist if he comes back), CB Jimmy Williams (at a minimum price, might be able to get a contract to see if he can win a spot in camp), WR Cedrick Wilson (proved he can play as a No. 3 receiver in this league, but it might not be back here).

shaneo69
01-10-2005, 05:47 PM
Sounds like a good guy. Here's an old article about him that appeared in the Cedar Rapids Gazette before Iowa State's 2000 Insight Bowl game:
http://www.gazetteonline.com/special/cyclones/bowlstory23.htm

Father's stroke in 1997 gave Iowa State's Hayward a new outlook on life
Posted December 27, 2000
By Jim Ecker
Gazette sportswriter

PHOENIX -- Iowa State defensive end Reggie Hayward was getting ready to play Kansas as a red-shirt freshman in1997 when he received bad news from home. His father, Reggie Hayward Sr., had suffered a stroke at age 50.

It left his father handicapped and disabled. And it shattered Reggie Jr.'s world.

``I didn't play in the Kansas game,'' he said Tuesday, taking a break in preparations for Thursday night's meeting with Pittsburgh in the Insight.com Bowl. ``I spent extra time with him.''

Suddenly, football wasn't so important.

``It told me not to take anything for granted,'' he said. ``You don't know when anything will happen to you. You respect everyone and thank the Lord for what he's blessed you with. Because you can lose it just like that.

``One day my father was a fine, healthy man. He could walk and do everything he wanted to do. And then after that, he can't get everywhere he wants to. Count your blessings.''

Many of the Cyclones have family members with them here in Phoenix, but not Hayward. It's hard for his father to travel, and it would be very expensive for his mother, Debra Thomas, who drives a delivery truck in Chicago.

``It costs $600 to fly from O'Hare out here, so I told her just to save it and watch it on TV,'' Hayward said. ``I wouldn't want her to pay all that money, and it would be $150-plus for a room. So everyone is going to be at home cheering for me on TV.''

Iowa State Coach Dan McCarney noticed a change in Hayward after his father's stroke.

``It was a real tough thing for Reggie to go through,'' McCarney said. ``It's been part of his maturation process, I think, and having to have more responsibility back home and be there for his mother. He handled it with class. I think it brought that family even closer together.''

Hayward is from Dolton, Ill., in the south suburbs of Chicago, the youngest of four children. There are some mean streets in south Chicago, but Hayward said he avoided trouble.

``I didn't have a lot of problems, a lot of worries,'' he said. ``I was never a follower, so I never got into the bad aspects of Chicago.

``I was the neighborhood good guy. They just called me the athlete. I was cool with everybody and I got along with everybody. No problems out of me.''

He heard bullets fly, but never saw them or got in the middle.

Hayward said he rejected scholarships from Nebraska, Michigan and Michigan State to attend Iowa State, primarily because he wanted to play early in his career. But he questioned himself when the Cyclones finished 1-10 his freshman year.

``There's always a time where you doubt your decision,'' he admitted. ``My first year we got walloped by Nebraska by like 77 points. It was a cold, gloomy day.''

Hayward remembered giving himself a pep talk before that game, to ``give his all'' and help ISU upset Nebraska. He had to quickly regroup.

``After the first play, I was finding myself dragging 15 yards back to the huddle. I'm thinking to myself, `Whoa, what have I gotten myself into?' Those days are gone and it's all happy days now.''

Hayward, 6-4, 250, made second team all-Big 12 this year. He'll compete in the East-West Shrine and Hula Bowl all-star games next month, looking to improve his shot for the NFL draft. He's heard he could be a late-second or early-third round pick with a chance to play in the league. That's all he wants, a chance.

That's all he wanted at Iowa State, a chance to play and a chance to make a bowl game. It took his entire career to get here, but he's here, a key performer for an 8-3 team that has a chance to win the first bowl game in Iowa State history.

``It makes you appreciate it more,'' he said. ``I never had an opportunity to play in a bowl game. So I'm not taking it for granted and I'm enjoying every moment of it.''

Hayward and all the Cyclones have received nice gifts at the bowl game like Insight.com apparel, a Swiss Army knife and a ring.

``It's all going to be wrapped up and given out as late Christmas presents for the family to enjoy,'' he said.

All but the ring.

``That's one thing I will keep, because that's a memory that will last forever.''

Compare this story to the recent one on Jared "Pink Cadillac" Allen.

Frankie
01-11-2005, 09:12 AM
Compare this story to the recent one on Jared "Pink Cadillac" Allen.

Are you pointing out a similarity? I guess I'm not familiar with the recent story you pointed out.