PDA

View Full Version : DT to the sweet 15

Chiefnj
01-11-2005, 10:39 AM
http://www.profootballhof.com//enshrinement//release.jsp?release_id=1370

tomahawk kid
01-11-2005, 10:52 AM
Just saw this.

DT might make it on the first ballot after all.

Lzen
01-11-2005, 10:53 AM
:thumb: Sweet! I doubt he makes it in this year but ya never know. I'm sure he'll get in eventually, though.

bricks
01-11-2005, 10:58 AM
Well that's certainly good to hear :)

PastorMikH
01-11-2005, 11:17 AM
I'm sure Marino and Young will make it. Irving should too based on Dallas' Superbowl wins when he was playing. That leaves 2 spots. Can DT slip in past these other players? I sure hope so.

Straight, No Chaser
01-11-2005, 11:18 AM
Any thoughts on who will induct him?

Marty, Gunther, Hank Williams Jr?

--->

vckcchiefs04
01-11-2005, 11:23 AM
If he get's in, I'm sure King Carl will be there do induct him.

JazzzLovr
01-11-2005, 11:27 AM

--->

I'd like to see Gunther do it, but my guess would be Carl.

KC Jones
01-11-2005, 11:28 AM
If he get's in, I'm sure King Carl will be there do induct him.

Exactly, no way will Carl Peterson pass up the chance to stand up there and talk about himself and how great he was to draft DT.

Brock
01-11-2005, 11:32 AM
I'm sure Marino and Young will make it. Irving should too based on Dallas' Superbowl wins when he was playing. That leaves 2 spots. Can DT slip in past these other players? I sure hope so.

I don't think Irvin goes in first ballot. He's more famous for coke and whores than for what he did on the field. DT doesn't go in this time either, IMO.

Straight, No Chaser
01-11-2005, 11:39 AM
Exactly, no way will Carl Peterson pass up the chance to stand up there and talk about himself and how great he was to draft DT.

Of course.
Never having watched a ceremony in-person, I seem to think that more than one person gets up for each player so after El Rey, I can see Marty, Gunther, Neil Smith, or hell even Hank.

---->

Straight, No Chaser
01-11-2005, 11:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PastorMikH
I'm sure Marino and Young will make it. Irving should too based on Dallas' Superbowl wins when he was playing. That leaves 2 spots. Can DT slip in past these other players? I sure hope so

I don't think Irvin goes in first ballot. He's more famous for coke and whores than for what he did on the field. DT doesn't go in this time either, IMO.

I think, as Landers' typed, that it's Micheal Irvin, not Michael Irving or Irvins.

Michael has been campaigning as a normal citizen since he got his gig with ESPN. Even he was jumping Moss' actions on the TV last night, saying he wouldn't want to play on the same team...

---->

PastorMikH
01-11-2005, 12:47 PM

In all honesty, I'm not for him going. I never really cared for his showboat style. In fact, with all the stuff you mentioned, that should be enough to keep him out for a long time. But I am thinking that the voters would have a tendancy to vote for him because of what Dallas did while he was playing with them.

PastorMikH
01-11-2005, 12:48 PM
I think, as Landers' typed, that it's Micheal Irvin, not Michael Irving or Irvins.

---->

Well excuuuusse me for accidently misspelling his name. :rolleyes:

:)

MOhillbilly
01-11-2005, 12:51 PM

--->

Hank Jr. would be tits.:thumb:

shaneo69
01-11-2005, 01:53 PM
Quote: "No player amassed more sacks during 1990s than 116.5 by Thomas."

This is the main reason I think he should be in. He was the best sack artist for an entire decade. He had more during the '90's than Bruce Smith and Reggie White, although White did not play in '99. We had one losing season in 11 seasons with him, and we've only had one winning season out of five without him. How many other players have had such a dramatic effect on their team's fortunes?

Tuckdaddy
01-11-2005, 02:00 PM
He should go and it should be now. That ten year stretch shows a level of dominance that is worthy of a first round selection.

Wile_E_Coyote
01-11-2005, 02:02 PM
http://images-partners.google.com/images?q=tbn:ZZuLMTXgdGgJ:http%3A//www.sportingnews.com/nfl/gallery/elway-9989.jpg (http://www.sportingnews.com/archives/elway/photo9.html)
he should go into the HOF as he did on the field, on Elway's heels

KChiefs1
01-11-2005, 02:02 PM
This begs the question....

When does Otis Taylor go in??????????? :hmmm:

tk13
01-11-2005, 02:15 PM
From the Pro Football HOF's bio for him on that website...

His contribution to the Chiefs franchise was nearly immeasurable. Prior to his arrival in Kansas City, the team had made just one playoff appearance since 1971. In the 11 years that Thomas anchored the defense, the Chiefs finished first or second in the AFC West ten times, made seven playoff appearances, and won three division titles.

Hopefully the voters see that, say "hey, that's pretty amazing", and consider we haven't done squat before or after his career and vote him in.

shaneo69
01-11-2005, 02:18 PM
This begs the question....

When does Otis Taylor go in??????????? :hmmm:

If anyone has time, it would be interesting to see a list of the wide receivers with the most catches from the period of '65-'75. I thought OT was the top WR during that period, but I can't verify it without the stats. If the stats prove it, then he should be in, for the simple reason that he dominated at his position for an entire decade. I can't even think of many other WR's of that era, maybe Bob Hayes (not in), Paul Warfield, Fred Belitnikoff, etc.

ChiefsFanatik88
01-11-2005, 02:18 PM

--->
I think Hank Jr. should induct him. Can you imagine what that would be like?

dirk digler
01-11-2005, 02:29 PM
DT deserves to be a 1st ballot HOFamer. I think he has got a good chance since Harry Carson is the only other LB besides him up for the HOF.

royr17
01-11-2005, 04:38 PM
If I see anything I see this :

Dan Marion
Steve Young
Michael Irvin
Derrick Thomas
Art Monk

Thats really my top 5 who I see getting in.

htismaqe
01-11-2005, 04:43 PM
I think DT has a great chance.

I was just over at the Madden BB and pretty much everyone there thinks he should be in...

DTLB58
01-11-2005, 05:07 PM
SWEET! :) I really didn't think he would make the final 15 but now that he has, I think he has got a good chance for a 1st ballot induction especially since Kevin Greene (160 career sacks) didn't make the top 15!

Rain Man
01-11-2005, 05:16 PM
Well excuuuusse me for accidently misspelling his name. :rolleyes:

:)

I don't think that Steve Martin is eligible yet.

Calcountry
01-11-2005, 05:56 PM
I'd like to see Gunther do it, but my guess would be Carl.
Gunther.

KCWolfman
01-11-2005, 06:40 PM
Actually, he and Derrick were pretty close. While Carl is an egomaniac and will gladly speak on himself, let's see both sides and realize that he and DT were good friends.

PastorMikH
01-11-2005, 07:07 PM
I don't think that Steve Martin is eligible yet.

I thought he was just a backup college ball player that turned to coaching, then got a big break and got to go back and coach his college football team but it only lasted for one season because of his kids.

stevieray
01-11-2005, 07:35 PM
please let this happen this year, while Lamar is still around.

dtebbe
01-11-2005, 10:02 PM
This is what most people remember about DT:

"Finished career with 126.5 sacks; fourth highest total by linebacker in NFL history . . . Had 10 or more sacks in a season seven times; recorded multi-sack games 27 times. . . "

DT was THE ORIGINAL X-FACTOR, this is what I remember most about DT, and why I think he should be in on the first year:

"Forced 45 fumbles, had 19 fumble recoveries, scored four touchdowns on fumble returns and added three safeties during career"

My two cents.

Phobia
01-12-2005, 12:26 AM
"Forced 45 fumbles, had 19 fumble recoveries, scored four touchdowns on fumble returns and added three safeties during career"

He was the master of the trifecta, was he not? He didn't get his first interception until his final year, a couple months before his death.

Frazod
01-12-2005, 12:35 AM
I simply cannot imagine him making the cut.

Ari Chi3fs
01-12-2005, 12:55 AM
no DT thread is good without a pic of him owning elway.

http://www.tidefans.com/bamanation/thirdandlong/Derrick_Thomas=Shot_2.jpg

Ari Chi3fs
01-12-2005, 12:55 AM
Look at how many legs Elway has in that pic... he sure was weird looking, eh?

Ari Chi3fs
01-12-2005, 12:57 AM
[img]http://www.tidefans.com/bamanation/thirdandlong/Derrick_Thomas=Shot_1.jpg

Ari Chi3fs
http://www.tidefans.com/bamanation/thirdandlong/Derrick_Thomas=Shot_3.jpg

Ari Chi3fs
http://www.tidefans.com/bamanation/thirdandlong/Derrick_Thomas=Shot_4.jpg

Ari Chi3fs
01-12-2005, 12:58 AM
http://www.tidefans.com/bamanation/thirdandlong/Derrick_Thomas=Shot_5.jpg

Ari Chi3fs
01-12-2005, 12:58 AM
his 100th Sack...

stumppy
01-12-2005, 01:11 AM
no DT thread is good without a pic of him owning elway.

http://www.tidefans.com/bamanation/thirdandlong/Derrick_Thomas=Shot_2.jpg

Man, them fuggers cheating ability's are unnatural.

Count Alex's Losses
01-12-2005, 01:36 AM
I saw Derrick Thomas' final sack live at Arrowhead. Although at the time, I didn't know it. :(

J Diddy
01-12-2005, 01:50 AM
I saw Derrick Thomas' final sack live at Arrowhead. Although at the time, I didn't know it. :(

You didn't know it was a sack?

Count Alex's Losses
01-12-2005, 01:52 AM
You didn't know it was a sack?

I didn't know it would be his last.

Ari Chi3fs
01-12-2005, 02:06 AM
Goatcheese likes to look at sacks.

stumppy
01-12-2005, 02:16 AM

I know who you remind me of now.

You're that guy on the NFL gear commercials. The one that is hiding in the whirlpool with the football player. When the FB player gets out and leaves you surface and then proceed to go through their underwear and jock straps.

You should be careful ! Sack gazer's are usually treated pretty rough when caught in the locker room.

tk13
01-12-2005, 02:21 AM
http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascitystar/sports/10621335.htm

Thomas getting closer to joining NFL's elite

By ADAM TEICHER The Kansas City Star

Derrick Thomas' bid for induction to the Pro Football Hall of Fame advanced Tuesday when he was announced as one of this year's 15 finalists.

The final steps come next month when Hall of Fame selectors narrow the field to six candidates. At least three candidates must be elected, but the total class cannot number more than six.

This year's class will be announced Feb. 5.

Former Missouri player Roger Wehrli is also among the finalists. Wehrli was a defensive back for the St. Louis Cardinals after leaving Missouri.

Other prominent players among the finalists are quarterbacks Dan Marino and Steve Young, and wide receiver Michael Irvin.

Thomas, who played for the Chiefs during 1989-99, finished his career with 126˝ sacks, fourth highest among NFL linebackers. He died five years ago from complications after an auto accident.

“I'm very pleased about it,” Chiefs president/general manager Carl Peterson said. “Hopefully, he can make the final six and be inducted in his first year of eligibility. Without any question it's an honor for him to be among the finalists. In his first year of eligibility, it's a real statement that he was a player who richly deserves this recognition.

“In my particular experience in the National Football League, I can remember only three players who had the ability to change the complexion of a game all by themselves. One was Lawrence Taylor, one was Reggie White and the other was Derrick Thomas.”

If Thomas is elected, he would join owner Lamar Hunt and 10 other men in the Hall of Fame who played for or coached the Chiefs: linebacker Bobby Bell, middle linebacker Willie Lanier, quarterback Len Dawson, defensive tackle Buck Buchanan, kicker Jan Stenerud, coach Hank Stram, running back Marcus Allen, center Mike Webster, quarterback Joe Montana and coach Marv Levy.

Ari Chi3fs
01-12-2005, 02:29 AM
“In my particular experience in the National Football League, I can remember only three players who had the ability to change the complexion of a game all by themselves. One was Lawrence Taylor, one was Reggie White and the other was Derrick Thomas.”

this is the reason he should be in there... this is so true.

Taco John
01-12-2005, 02:34 AM
Some of those old guys will get in. I'd guess it will be three young guys, and two old guys...

Taco John
01-12-2005, 02:38 AM
Steve Young
Dan Marino
Michael Irvin
George Young
Richard Dent

I'll be suprised if DT gets in over Richard Dent...

Count Alex's Losses
01-12-2005, 02:44 AM
Steve Young
Dan Marino
Michael Irvin
George Young
Richard Dent

Richard Dent? No effin' way.

Count Alex's Losses
01-12-2005, 02:46 AM
I know who you remind me of now.

You're that guy on the NFL gear commercials. The one that is hiding in the whirlpool with the football player. When the FB player gets out and leaves you surface and then proceed to go through their underwear and jock straps.

You should be careful ! Sack gazer's are usually treated pretty rough when caught in the locker room.

I'm more like the dude hiding inside the tackling dummy that steals Dallas Cowboy jerseys.

tk13
01-12-2005, 02:48 AM
Steve Young
Dan Marino
Michael Irvin
George Young
Richard Dent

You think so? The only reason would be because Dent was a part of one of the greatest defenses of all time. Statistically I figured he'd have DT beat, but not really... he only has about 10 more sacks than DT in 4 more seasons. He was a great player though. I know you like trying to put DT down but he was one of the greatest "playmakers" (one of the things you value so much) of an entire decade... and as much as you like putting down the history of this franchise he was the one singular player that you could point to throughout that lifted the franchise that had one of the best records of the 90's. The Chiefs rose and fell with his career, and haven't been the same before or since.... as much as we sling terms like "playmaker" and "impact player" around, you look at DT and what he did for this franchise and it makes some of the guys who get that term slapped on them nowadays look pale in comparison.

Count Alex's Losses
01-12-2005, 02:57 AM
You think so? The only reason would be because Dent was a part of one of the greatest defenses of all time. Statistically I figured he'd have DT beat, but not really... he only has about 10 more sacks than DT in 4 more seasons. He was a great player though. I know you like trying to put DT down but he was one of the greatest "playmakers" (one of the things you value so much) of an entire decade... and as much as you like putting down the history of this franchise he was the one singular player that you could point to throughout that lifted the franchise that had one of the best records of the 90's. The Chiefs rose and fell with his career, and haven't been the same before or since.... as much as we sling terms like "playmaker" and "impact player" around, you look at DT and what he did for this franchise and it makes some of the guys who get that term slapped on them nowadays look pale in comparison.

Rep.

milkman
01-12-2005, 09:42 AM
This is what most people remember about DT:

"Finished career with 126.5 sacks; fourth highest total by linebacker in NFL history . . . Had 10 or more sacks in a season seven times; recorded multi-sack games 27 times. . . "

DT was THE ORIGINAL X-FACTOR, this is what I remember most about DT, and why I think he should be in on the first year:

My two cents.

The stat that really stands out to me is 45 forced fumbles.

Does the NFL track forced fumbles as a stat, and if so, where does DT rank?
He has to be at, or near, the top of the list.

ChiTown
01-12-2005, 09:46 AM
Here's hoping DT is a 1st ballot selection......