PDA

View Full Version : High School Diploma

IA_Chiefs_fan
01-11-2005, 07:30 PM
My brother-in-law had kind of a rough go of it when he was in high school and I guess he ended up dropping out after his Junior year. He was working at the time and is still with that company and has actually done quite well. He seems to have his life together and has "climbed the corporate ladder". So...
...he comes to me today and tells me that he's in line for a big promotion as an officer in his company. But...
...now he's scared about not having a high school diploma. He asked me if I could help him check around to see if there's really any legit opportunities to get an accredited diploma via the internet or mail. He doesn't want to have to go to a local school for anything because it is a small community. He said he's never told his employer he has a diploma but knows they assume he does since he started there while in school. I've looked around some on the internet for him and many of them seem to be scams. Can anyone recommend a legit one? I'd really like to help him out. He's helped me out on more than one occasion. Thanks in advance.

Iowanian
01-11-2005, 07:38 PM
He can get a GED or HS Equivilent in many places.....Programs at Schools and Community Colleges.

Have him check with another school or cc within driving distance.

Saulbadguy
01-11-2005, 07:43 PM
Get a GED. The test is incredibly easy.

RedNeckRaider
01-11-2005, 07:59 PM
He can get a GED or HS Equivilent in many places.....Programs at Schools and Community Colleges.

Have him check with another school or cc within driving distance.
I got in trouble a few times in school, after the second time I was asked to leave I stayed gone. Years later upon my sisters' urging I went down and took my GED. I was very nervous as the only thing I had concentrated on in high school was gym, sports and girls.

After taking the test I was informed by the instructor that he would like me to take some more tests. At this point I'm thinkin' the tests weren't that tough, I can't believe I failed. After talking to me, he told me that not only had I passed, I had passed in the highest group who had ever taken the test. The test he wanted me to take were developmental as they were planning to design a new test format.

The point of this story is Joe Average Redneck aced these tests. Tell your buddy to go down and take his GED, less a functional illeterate he will pass without studying. If I would have known how easy a GED was I would have quit school in the 6th grade.

Skip Towne
01-11-2005, 08:01 PM
Get a GED. The test is incredibly easy.
And you know that....how, dropout?

Saulbadguy
01-11-2005, 08:02 PM
And you know that....how, dropout?
Yeah. Junior year.

Skip Towne
01-11-2005, 08:20 PM
Yeah. Junior year.
Can you just walk in and take the test or do you have to attend classes?

Saulbadguy
01-11-2005, 08:24 PM
I believe in Kansas you could just take it. I had to coordinate through my adult education division in my district to arrange it. When I took it there were probably 50 other people taking it at the same time, so they have arranged dates. The test was broken up in to 2 days, each session lasting about 3-4 hours, although you can leave when you finish it. It was pretty easy. Thats all I really remember about it. I was 18 at the time.

Boozer
01-11-2005, 08:25 PM
My cousin's husband didn't graduate high school, but got his GED. Of course, that was so he could go to MIT at age 16. I wonder how many other GED-Ph.Ds there are out there.

Boozer
01-11-2005, 08:27 PM

Boy Skip, just think how much more you would've made had you gotten that diploma.

I bet that's what LeBron hears all the time about college.

Skip Towne
01-11-2005, 08:29 PM
I never could figure out what a GED was good for. What kind of job can you get with one that you can't get without one? Does anyone even ask about high school anymore?

Saulbadguy
01-11-2005, 08:30 PM
I never could figure out what a GED was good for. What kind of job can you get with one that you can't get without one? Does anyone even ask about high school anymore?
I don't think so. I got a job at the school district that I dropped out of, as a Network Administrator.

RedNeckRaider
01-11-2005, 09:11 PM
I believe in Kansas you could just take it. I had to coordinate through my adult education division in my district to arrange it. When I took it there were probably 50 other people taking it at the same time, so they have arranged dates. The test was broken up in to 2 days, each session lasting about 3-4 hours, although you can leave when you finish it. It was pretty easy. Thats all I really remember about it. I was 18 at the time.
It was the same when I took it in Kansas, had to set it up and it took two days.

Inspector
01-11-2005, 09:33 PM
I really don't think anyone checks out HS graduation or not.

Heck, tell 'em to say he's got a Masters from some big name school.

I get emails telling me I can get a Masters simply by sending away for it. How hard can it be?

WebGem
01-11-2005, 10:59 PM
I really don't think anyone checks out HS graduation or not.
I really doubt that as well.