PDA

View Full Version : Draft Questions

Chiefnj
01-12-2005, 09:47 AM
I've read that the Chiefs belong, or subscribe, to a draft service that evaluates players. I read that about 15 or so NFL teams belong to this group. I think they all pool money, etc. Does anyone know the name of the group and which teams belong? I'm curious as to the draft records of the other members.

Next, which internet draft publications or sites do you follow? Which do you think are accurate? Which are B.S.?

One site I like is Bernie's Insiders. It's a Browns bulletin board, but the fans really get into the draft. I think this season they have a special draft section.

htismaqe
01-12-2005, 09:53 AM
The best site for last season was NFL Draft Countdown. Their bio's are pretty accurate and they pretty much nailed the 1st couple of rouns last year.

They also project where they think guys SHOULD be drafted (by round) and they hit a good percentage on that too...

Mr. Laz
01-12-2005, 09:56 AM
i thought it was Ourlads' Scouting service that provide reports to the NFL teams, but i'm not positive

http://www.ourlads.com/index.html

htismaqe
01-12-2005, 09:57 AM
i thought it was Ourlads' Scouting service that provide reports to the NFL teams, but i'm not positive

http://www.ourlads.com/index.html

I think that sounds right.

warpaint99
01-12-2005, 09:59 AM

kc rush
01-12-2005, 10:14 AM
I think i remember PETRO saying it was about a guy in Texas. You might want to call him up . :spock:

You are thinking of Rick Gossling (sp) of the Dallas Morning News. I don't think that he has a service that he offers, but he is supposedly very accurate since he is chummy with most of the GM's in the league.

warpaint99
01-12-2005, 10:15 AM
yes . thats the person.

nmt1
01-12-2005, 10:23 AM
I'm pretty sure one of the scouting services is Blesto. I can't remember the names of the others. There was an article on some site last year about it. Don't remember which.

I used to look at as many draft sites as I could around draft time but I've kinda laid off them. Most of them use a team's needs as their reasoning for which team will draft which players. While I believe that is a factor, I don't think it's the number one factor. I think most teams rank the available players and try to stick to their draft rankings. The needs of the team as well as the athletic ability and mental capacity of the players factor in to their rankings, among other things.
I also don't pay a lot of attention to player bios on the different sites because they vary so much. One site will say some CB is great in coverage but not strong in run defense while another site will say the exact opposite. Plus, they say a lot of things are obvious like so & so is only 5'6" and isn't tall enough to cover NFL receivers. It doesn't take a genious to figure that out.
I've given up on trying to figure out who's going where. I don't know enough to make an educated guess.

htismaqe
01-12-2005, 10:51 AM
Rick Gosselin (from the DMN) isn't a scout, but he is one of the most accurate mock drafters out there.

He's the DMN NFL writer now, covered the Cowboys before that. Before that, he covered the Chiefs for the Star.

Another guy that I think is pretty reputable is Gil Brandt. He used to be a real scout for the Cowboys before he moved into the Mel Kiper stuff...

shaneo69
01-12-2005, 11:34 AM
Chiefs President Carl Peterson announced on Tuesday (1/4/05) that Pro Personnel Assistant Jeffrey Foster is leaving the organization in the spring of 2005 to take a position as the Director of the National Football Scouting Service.

Among the responsibilities of National Football Scouting Inc. are coordinating The NFL Scouting Combine as well as providing a scouting service to which 15 NFL teams currently subscribe, including the Chiefs.

htismaqe
01-12-2005, 11:36 AM
Chiefs President Carl Peterson announced on Tuesday (1/4/05) that Pro Personnel Assistant Jeffrey Foster is leaving the organization in the spring of 2005 to take a position as the Director of the National Football Scouting Service.

Among the responsibilities of National Football Scouting Inc. are coordinating The NFL Scouting Combine as well as providing a scouting service to which 15 NFL teams currently subscribe, including the Chiefs.

Those 14 other teams might want to take a look at the Chiefs last few drafts, consider what involvement Foster might have had, and FIND A NEW SCOUTING SERVICE.

Brock
01-12-2005, 11:40 AM
I'd say they haven't been getting their money's worth lately.

shaneo69
01-12-2005, 11:44 AM
Those 14 other teams might want to take a look at the Chiefs last few drafts, consider what involvement Foster might have had, and FIND A NEW SCOUTING SERVICE.

I applied for the newly vacant "pro personnel assistant" position, but unfortunately, I didn't attend or work at UCLA, so I didn't meet the minimum requirements of the job. I think Terry Donahue has the inside track.

Chiefnj
01-12-2005, 11:47 AM
I wonder how the other 14 teams have done in the draft in recent years. I couldn't find any info on the NFSS

htismaqe
01-12-2005, 11:47 AM
I applied for the newly vacant "pro personnel assistant" position, but unfortunately, I didn't attend or work at UCLA, so I didn't meet the minimum requirements of the job. I think Terry Donahue has the inside track.

Great.