PDA

View Full Version : KC school trying to ban books!

tyton75
01-12-2005, 01:05 PM
sorry if this has already been posted, but I figured this is something that the Planet would have a field day with!

especially the "comments" section

http://www.classkc.org/index.html

:banghead: this just freaking baffles me!

wutamess
01-12-2005, 01:07 PM
Can you even READ?

tyton75
01-12-2005, 01:09 PM
Can you even READ?

I'm sure you have no stance on this.. you don't care.. not because it doesnt' affect you.. simply because you are a dik and I have to freaking work with you :thumb:

gblowfish
01-12-2005, 01:10 PM
Blue Valley Schools are an affluent district in Johnson County, KS. It's not the KCMO Public schools. A small but vocal group of parents wanting to ban certain books in Kansas schools doesn't surprise me. Groups of that leaning actively want to ban books they don't agree with, and equate or outright replace teaching evolution with creationism in science class. It's a religious and political hot potato...you betcha.

wutamess
I have to freaking work with you :thumb:

You don't "have" to.

Count Zarth
People are stupid. Authors write about things that happen in real life. All of the things they are trying to get banned happen in real life. Why should children not be educated about THINGS THAT HAPPEN IN REAL LIFE.

ENDelt260
01-12-2005, 01:11 PM
You'll notice the comments are the ones they have handpicked to display.

ENDelt260
01-12-2005, 01:13 PM
I like the comment that blames children's lack of moral values on these books. Yes... that's what's wrong with kids today... they're reading too much.

Miles
01-12-2005, 01:15 PM
You'll notice the comments are the ones they have handpicked to display.

Yeah I tried to leave something sarcastic about being offended by the language they used on their site and it didnt show up.

htismaqe
01-12-2005, 01:15 PM
Good God, JD Salinger is on their "F-list"...

tyton75
01-12-2005, 01:16 PM
[QUOTE=gblowfish]Blue Valley Schools are an affluent district in Johnson County, KS. It's not the KCMO Public schools.

touchy about location are we.. I apologize.. I was generalizing that Blue Valley is in the KC AREA.. my bad :thumb:

siberian khatru
01-12-2005, 01:16 PM
Heh, they list all the offending words:

http://www.classkc.org/badwords.php

Some pretty good ones on the list. Nothing you haven't already read here on the Planet. :D

Miles
01-12-2005, 01:17 PM

Some pretty good ones on the list. Nothing you haven't already read here on the Planet. :D

I dont know...I havent hard much about cow f#cking around here

The list on Song of Solomon is really great.

ENDelt260
01-12-2005, 01:20 PM

I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings???

tk13
01-12-2005, 01:21 PM
I would venture to guess none of these parents let their kids watch any movies or TV... at least they shouldn't by the standards they seem to support here. Somehow I get the feeling that's not the case....

Count Zarth
01-12-2005, 01:24 PM
bull qualifies as a cuss word?

If these Mothers Against Dirty Books want to ban books, maybe they should check the school's internet logs and ban half the internet, too.

tyton75
01-12-2005, 01:26 PM
Somehow I'm thinking these parents aren't the biggest fans of South Park

siberian khatru
01-12-2005, 01:29 PM
I dont know...I havent hard much about cow f#cking around here

I'm pretty sure I read about that in one of ENDelt's college threads.

siberian khatru
01-12-2005, 01:30 PM
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings???

Yep, that's where I first learned about "put his hand between my legs." Corrupted me for life.

ENDelt260
01-12-2005, 01:31 PM
I'm pretty sure I read about that in one of ENDelt's college threads.
I believe you're thinking of an old TJ sig.

Baby Lee
01-12-2005, 01:36 PM
Braindead Martha Fockers.

You know what happened when I found the books with sexuality and curse words in them?

Did it make me want to fvck and curse like a sailor? Not any more than before.

Did it make me want to read? Hells yeah! :thumb:

Pitt Gorilla
01-12-2005, 01:38 PM
Yeah, kids shouldn't read the "Catcher in the Rye;" it might make them want to read...

Baby Lee
01-12-2005, 01:39 PM
Yeah, kids shouldn't read the "Catcher in the Rye;" it might make them want to read...
Too slow, cocksmoke. :p

tyton75
01-12-2005, 01:40 PM
are they kidding with this stuff?!?

Kingsolver -pecker, slut, hell, sink into her crotch, Pedophilia. Perpetrator. Deviant. Maleficent, God's pee-pee!

Sydd
01-12-2005, 01:40 PM

Someone actually took the time to count how many times they said hell, goddamn, etc... in "Catcher in the Rye"? Sounds to me like someone needs a few more activites to fill out their day.

However, if they are succsesful in getting "The Awakening" banned from school reading, more power to them. That book was one of the biggest POS's I have ever been forced to read.

ENDelt260
01-12-2005, 01:41 PM
However, if they are succsesful in getting "The Awakening" banned from school reading, more power to them. That book was one of the biggest POS's I have ever been forced to read.

Speaking of which, I didn't read the whole list... are they trying to ban The Great Gatsby? Please... please...

DenverChief
01-12-2005, 01:41 PM
I like the comment that blames children's lack of moral values on these books. Yes... that's what's wrong with kids today... they're reading too much.

ROFL exactly! Rep!

siberian khatru
01-12-2005, 01:43 PM
Too slow, cocksmoke. :p

Anus breath.

Baby Lee
01-12-2005, 01:43 PM
Anus breath.
Analingulator.

tyton75
01-12-2005, 01:44 PM
They are trying to ban some Shakespeare... just doing the kids a favor there... too freaking hard to read anyway!

Cochise
Good God, JD Salinger is on their "F-list"...

There are a lot of F-words in his work.

However I remember seeing one of his books on a ban list from a school in California because it supposedly painted homosexuals in a bad light. So it goes both ways.

htismaqe
I'm wondering if the Bible is on their list of books, because I don't think they've read it...

Either that, or I missed the part where it said that God wants us to aspire to ignorance...

ENDelt260
01-12-2005, 01:45 PM
They are trying to ban some Shakespeare... just doing the kids a favor there... too freaking hard to read anyway!
The cool thing about Shakespeare is the teacher had to explain the curse words to you.

I still don't know what the hell a fishmonger is, tho.

siberian khatru
01-12-2005, 01:45 PM
Analingulator.

Huh? Stick to the list, dicklick. Or else crack open "Slaughterhouse Five."

TheNextStep
01-12-2005, 01:46 PM
Of course they want to ban books in Kansas City schools. Why does this surprise anyone? If you guys suddenly became literate and able to think independently, everyone would realize that Kansas City sucks, the Chiefs suck, and Texas has better barbecue. In the exodus that would inevitably follow such enlightenment, the Chiefs would lose at least three quarters of their fanbase.

No, no... King Carl can't have that! Better to keep 'em dumb and loyal. Ban the books, free cable for everyone!!!

And you guys thought King Carl only ruined your lives during football season...

htismaqe
01-12-2005, 01:47 PM
Of course they want to ban books in Kansas City schools. Why does this surprise anyone? If you guys suddenly became literate and able to think independently, everyone would realize that Kansas City sucks, the Chiefs suck, and Texas has better barbecue. In the exodus that would inevitably follow such enlightenment, the Chiefs would lose at least three quarters of their fanbase.

No, no... King Carl can't have that! Better to keep 'em dumb and loyal. Ban the books, free cable for everyone!!!

And you guys thought King Carl only ruined your lives during football season...

That's fairly eloquent for someone who considers "reading" looking at the 3 page spread in Playgirl...

Cochise
01-12-2005, 01:48 PM
Speaking of which, I didn't read the whole list... are they trying to ban The Great Gatsby? Please... please...

I wish someone would have banned it before I had to read it in high school. What an overrated piece of boring ass crap. I don't think I've ever read something more dry and stupid in my life. I would have rather written a paper on the telephone book.

siberian khatru
01-12-2005, 01:49 PM
I wish someone would have banned it before I had to read it in high school. What an overrated piece of boring ass crap. I don't think I've ever read something more dry and stupid in my life. I would have rather written a paper on the telephone book.

The problem I had with "Gatsby" was there wasn't enough swearing in it.

ENDelt260
01-12-2005, 01:50 PM
The shitty thing was, on one of the AP tests there was a question that was specifically crafted for Gatsby. I read it and thought, "Those bastards want me to write about Gatsby. F*ck them! I won't do it!" Tried to think of another novel to use for the question... then, realized it was stupid to put that much extra effort into it, and wrote about Gatsby.

My score feels dirtier now.

TheNextStep
01-12-2005, 01:50 PM
That's fairly eloquent for someone who considers "reading" looking at the 3 page spread in Playgirl...
I can't help but sit and wonder how you know the length of any particular spreads in that publication?

TheNextStep
01-12-2005, 01:51 PM

Change the book title to "A Tale of Two Cities" or "Grapes of Wrath" and you would be speaking for both of us.

Baby Lee
01-12-2005, 01:52 PM
I can't help but sit and wonder how you know the length of any particular spreads in that publication?
Look back into your collection. March 1992; "atchtismaquay and his ginormous c*ck."

tyton75
01-12-2005, 01:53 PM
The problem I had with "Gatsby" was there wasn't enough swearing in it.

and where was the freaking Magician?!? :p

Baby Lee
01-12-2005, 01:54 PM
Change the book title to "A Tale of Two Cities" or "Grapes of Wrath" and you would be speaking for both of us.
Hey!

You can diss Fitz. I guess that's earned it's way into cliched counterculture 'cool.'

But lay off Dickens.

TheNextStep
01-12-2005, 01:54 PM
Look back into your collection. March 1992; "atchtismaquay and his ginormous c*ck."
And, again, I am left to wonder why it is that you would have any particular issue so handy as to immediately reference it?

tyton75
01-12-2005, 01:58 PM
And, again, I am left to wonder why it is that you would have any particular issue so handy as to immediately reference it?

get over it.. he called you gay.. you apparently claim you aren't gay.. so its over..

no need to try to outduel each others wit about whether you are or aren't a stoolpusher..

I'm sure you are a nice guy... nice enough to give every guy you sleep with a reach-around :thumb:

tyton75
01-12-2005, 02:00 PM
I wonder if they would try to ban a book that had the word "stoolpusher" in it... hmmm

ENDelt260
01-12-2005, 02:03 PM
I wonder if they would try to ban a book that had the word "stoolpusher" in it... hmmm
Only one way to find out...

Get to writin'!

TheNextStep
01-12-2005, 02:04 PM
Depends on context. They've actually got "Moby Dick" on their list of recommended literature, so I guess your autobiography would be alright, too.

Baby Lee
01-12-2005, 02:05 PM
Depends on context. They've actually got "Moby Dick" on their list of recommended literature, so I guess your autobiography would be alright, too.
See, tyton. That means you're gay, too. :thailor:

TheNextStep
01-12-2005, 02:13 PM
Hey!

You can diss Fitz. I guess that's earned it's way into cliched counterculture 'cool.'

But lay off Dickens.

I liked Copperfield. I liked Great Expectations. I liked A Message From The Sea. A Tale of Two Cities was just impossible for me get through. I like Dickens... but that book is among my most hated books of all time.

tyton75
01-12-2005, 02:16 PM
See, tyton. That means you're gay, too. :thailor:

well.. it is called the Great White Whale in some circles..

Baby Lee
01-12-2005, 02:16 PM
I liked Copperfield. I liked Great Expectations. I liked A Message From The Sea. A Tale of Two Cities was just impossible for me get through. I like Dickens... but that book is among my most hated books of all time.
Huh, I flew through it like a fricken Grisham novel. But I was pretty interested in the French Revolution in JHS. Seemed a lot like if Manson had succeeded in his 'revolution.'

Baby Lee
01-12-2005, 02:17 PM
well.. it is called the Great White Whale in some circles..
Oh, and a 'catcher' at that.

tyton75
01-12-2005, 02:33 PM
yeah.. I don't get it

Baby Lee
01-12-2005, 02:34 PM
yeah.. I don't get it
I figured the 'Great White Whale' referred to your ass.

tyton75
01-12-2005, 02:39 PM
lol.. didn't think of it that way.. but I do have a pretty big @ss

guess I helped hijack my own thread.. oh well

KC Kings
01-12-2005, 03:00 PM
God's Pee Pee!!!! What a joke. There is not a word on that list that wasn't said by myself and my friends in Jr High, (except for God's Pee Pee).

All you have to do is see that it is Blue Valley,and that explains everything. You know the dorky rich guys that wear penny loafers and no socks, and drive 50K cars to make up for small schlongs? You know the cheerleader in high school that screwed every (black) guy on the basketball team and regrets it so bad that she has turned to a life of diet pills, felt jogging pants, and refuses to live in the same neighborhood as a minority? Do you know the little white kids in their daddy's cars, dressing like the G's from Icy Hot Stuntaz? If you do, then you know the residents of the Blue Valley School district, who live in such a fantasy world that even with 0 dollars in their budget, they approve 6 new gymnasiums to built.

Count Zarth
01-12-2005, 03:03 PM
God's Pee Pee!!!! What a joke. There is not a word on that list that wasn't said by myself and my friends in Jr High, (except for God's Pee Pee).

All you have to do is see that it is Blue Valley,and that explains everything. You know the dorky rich guys that wear penny loafers and no socks, and drive 50K cars to make up for small schlongs? You know the cheerleader in high school that screwed every (black) guy on the basketball team and regrets it so bad that she has turned to a life of diet pills, felt jogging pants, and refuses to live in the same neighborhood as a minority? Do you know the little white kids in their daddy's cars, dressing like the G's from Icy Hot Stuntaz? If you do, then you know the residents of the Blue Valley School district, who live in such a fantasy world that even with 0 dollars in their budget, they approve 6 new gymnasiums to built.

Just reading about those people makes me want to deploy a low fallout nuclear device in the center of their area.

tyton75
01-12-2005, 03:11 PM
lets form a CP brigade and go A'pillaging

wutamess
01-12-2005, 03:22 PM

Rep from me!

Someone's a little obssessive compulsive.

Cochise
01-12-2005, 03:29 PM

Rep for the Icy Hot Stuntaz reference ROFL

Seems like all the moronic high school kids in Johnson County... :rolleyes:

tyton75
01-12-2005, 04:16 PM
This Boy's Life --Wolff ---yid, **** you, pussy, guy's dong in her mouth, dicklick, eating pussy, I drew a bead on whoever walked by (sniper practice)

what the phuck is a Yid?!

Baby Lee
01-12-2005, 04:30 PM
This Boy's Life --Wolff ---yid, **** you, pussy, guy's dong in her mouth, dicklick, eating pussy, I drew a bead on whoever walked by (sniper practice)

what the phuck is a Yid?!
I believe the correct nomenclature is 'slapped a yarmulke.'

KCWolfman
01-12-2005, 06:21 PM
In the end, the majority of parents should have the decision of what is and is not proper reading material for their children at school. Those parents may be morons and decide The Wizard of Oz is full of witchcraft and therefore, not applicable. But they have the right to be morons in our nation. Those in the minority should have the decision to opt their child out of reading offensive material to that family.

Funny how many on here who preach diversity and understanding the culture of others refuse to do so for their own people in their own nation under the guise of doing what is best for those people.

I have also seen examples of the opposite extreme in which silent parents eventually have books like My Two Mommies as standardized teaching for their grade school children because they never spoke up. I don't blame these parents for being vocal. I disagree with their statements and their literary choices, but I respect their opinions and know that they should be the primary source of elective studies at school as opposed to a bunch of outsiders who don't give a damn about the kids whatsoever.

And let's be clear - no books are being "banned". That is merely a buzz word to get the slower thinkers into a rage of righteousness. The books are still allowed at the school, some parents merely don't want the books taught as part of the curriculum.

If the majority of parents believe The Giver is so offensive, then it shouldn't be taught. There are billions of other books to choose from that can meet the same goals. I disagree with those parents. I believe The Giver is a great story teaching us that we can let society dictate exactly what we should and should not believe even if it is morally wrong. Kind of like many of you are doing on this post.

Count Zarth
01-12-2005, 06:30 PM
In the end, the majority of parents should have the decision of what is and is not proper reading material for their children at school. Those parents may be morons and decide The Wizard of Oz is full of witchcraft and therefore, not applicable. But they have the right to be morons in our nation. Those in the minority should have the decision to opt their child out of reading offensive material to that family.

Funny how many on here who preach diversity and understanding the culture of others refuse to do so for their own people in their own nation under the guise of doing what is best for those people.

I have also seen examples of the opposite extreme in which silent parents eventually have books like My Two Mommies as standardized teaching for their grade school children because they never spoke up. I don't blame these parents for being vocal. I disagree with their statements and their literary choices, but I respect their opinions and know that they should be the primary source of elective studies at school as opposed to a bunch of outsiders who don't give a damn about the kids whatsoever.

And let's be clear - no books are being "banned". That is merely a buzz word to get the slower thinkers into a rage of righteousness. The books are still allowed at the school, some parents merely don't want the books taught as part of the curriculum.

If the majority of parents believe The Giver is so offensive, then it shouldn't be taught. There are billions of other books to choose from that can meet the same goals. I disagree with those parents. I believe The Giver is a great story teaching us that we can let society dictate exactly what we should and should not believe even if it is morally wrong. Kind of like many of you are doing on this post.

Do parents really have a say in what a school teaches? I admit I am ignorant of the discussed realm and what control who has over what.

Seems to me if a parent doesn't like what his or her child is learning/reading in one school, they should move them to another.

ENDelt260
01-12-2005, 06:31 PM
Seems to me if a parent doesn't like what his or her child is learning/reading in one school, they should move them to another.

Some parents aren't in a position to do that.

Count Zarth
01-12-2005, 06:33 PM
Some parents aren't in a position to do that.

Good point. I guess this is what PTA meetings are for.

Looks like I'm late for mine.

Thig Lyfe
01-12-2005, 06:42 PM

Holy shit. Those are some pretty damn bad words. I sure as hell don't want kids reading that. What dicklicking douchebag would let a kid read that.

Count Zarth
01-12-2005, 06:43 PM
Holy shit. Those are some pretty damn bad words. I sure as hell don't want kids reading that. What dicklicking douchebag would let a kid read that.

Maybe we should give them all earmuffs.

Thig Lyfe
01-12-2005, 06:48 PM
This is so gaaaaaaaaaay... cow-f#cking gay...

I would leave a comment telling them that they are dumbasses, but they have to verify my name and shit.

Thig Lyfe
01-12-2005, 06:52 PM
http://www.classkc.org/best.php

This is illogical. So these books are better just because they don't have bad words? Is that now the defining criteria of great literature? By that token, a Teletubbies coloring book is great literature.

Thig Lyfe
01-12-2005, 06:57 PM
"500 and Counting"

It's so hilarious how they think its so cool to have 500 signatures. That's maybe 250 sets of parents, or one high school class.

I mean, I got 5345 signatures for theCarlos Beltran Petition (http://www.petitiononline.com/royals/petition.html). Come on.

Coach
01-12-2005, 07:10 PM

The worse thing is, what kind of a school would use a small sampling of the words and thoughts for your child will study. WTF does this mean? Does it mean that they'll have class sessions over the word "f*ck?"

The interesting thing on that list that you provided, the word "cum" wasn't on there last I checked.

oaklandhater
01-12-2005, 08:32 PM
sorry if this has already been posted, but I figured this is something that the Planet would have a field day with!

especially the "comments" section

http://www.classkc.org/index.html

:banghead: this just freaking baffles me!
i dont understand why they would want to ban Catcher in the Rye that was the frist book report i got a 'A' i wanted to be a writer at one point after i read One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest @ Song of Solomon

Inspector
01-12-2005, 09:09 PM
Kids grow up to be what they will be whether they are restricted from certain books or allowed certain books.

It's the people in their home, the ones they live with and look up to, who will have the signifcant influences on them.

Their parents or caregivers will make them ok or not, regardless if they read "My Two Mommies" or say the God pee pee word.

My 5 sons are amazing, successful and loving men and they probably saw boobs and heard or read a few dirty words growing up.

ENDelt260
01-12-2005, 09:53 PM
Kids grow up to be what they will be whether they are restricted from certain books or allowed certain books.

It's the people in their home, the ones they live with and look up to, who will have the signifcant influences on them.

Their parents or caregivers will make them ok or not, regardless if they read "My Two Mommies" or say the God pee pee word.

My 5 sons are amazing, successful and loving men and they probably saw boobs and heard or read a few dirty words growing up.

Yeah? Who raised 'em for ya?

tyton75
01-13-2005, 09:27 AM
As I remember High School... most people didnt' read the books they were assigned anyway... thats where Cliff's Notes came in!

Straight, No Chaser
01-13-2005, 11:13 AM

To varying degrees, educational standards and curriculum are, like politics, "local". Parents should be involved in their child's education --it's one characteristic of a "good school".

Parents willing to ban books is reflection of an authoritarian approach to parenting. Placing a high value on obedience and conformity, holding beliefs that the child should accept without question the rules and standards established by the parents, discouraging independent behavior and restricting a child's autonomy doesn't benefit healthy psychological development, a sense of autonomy or a willingness to stay emotionally attached to the family.

--->