PDA

View Full Version : "24" 2005...Cool or crud?

Gaz
01-13-2005, 07:43 AM
I have not particularly enjoyed the previous seasons of “24.” The show starts out strong, but simply cannot sustain the “cliffhanger of the week” bit over 24 episodes. By hour 13, I am ready for it to be over. The plot twists become tedious and I find myself irritated at the rank stupidity of the top counterterrorist organization in the country.

Still, I set a “24” Season Pass on my TiVo. Each time I bring up the “Now Playing” screen, there is “24,” waiting for me to hit PLAY.

The problem is: I have zero interest in watching it. I considered just canceling the SP and dumping the episodes on the hard drive, but the thought that this season might be different stays my hand.

Without giving me any spoilers, is the 2005 version of “24” worth my time?

xoxo~
Gaz
Leaning against “24” at the moment.

The Rick
01-13-2005, 07:53 AM
I'm liking it so far.

The basic plot (so far) is that the Secretary of Defense (along with his daughter, who also is Jack's new flame) has been kidnapped by terrorist. The terrorist are going to try him for "war crimes" and are going to broadcast the trial over the Internet. They've done one broadcast so far and it looked frighteningly similar to the beheadings that have been performed in Iraq.

One of the things that's maybe good about this season is that it's pretty much a whole new cast. I think, so far, Jack and Chloe (CTU) are the only holdovers from last season. No Kim or anything (guess that could change though). Other than Chloe, there's a whole new staff at CTU.

Frankie
01-13-2005, 07:56 AM
I'm watching "24" for the first time this year. Not terrible. But real corny. The writing is not so good. "Alias" is way better (though I haven't watched any of that this year.)

Saulbadguy
01-13-2005, 07:58 AM
Never seen it.

Frankie
01-13-2005, 07:59 AM
Never seen it.

That was real helpful, Saul. ;) Thanks.

Cochise
01-13-2005, 08:00 AM
I've never seen it either.

Saulbadguy
01-13-2005, 08:03 AM
That was real helpful, Saul. ;) Thanks.
No problem. All my friends watch all those kinda shows. I've had to suffer through some of them. Predictable plot, lame characters, crappy dialogue, and unbelievable storylines.

siberian khatru
01-13-2005, 08:09 AM
For me, it's too early to tell how good it is/isn't. I'm not down on it, yet, if that helps. I thought Season 3 was pretty weak. They dumped 95% of last year's cast, unfortunately keeping around the most-annoying character on television (Chloe), a hyper-neurotic who (I hope) would never hold a job with a national security clearance because she couldn't pass the psych tests.

The hotness of the babes seems down this year, too, and one of the two cuties has already bitten the dust (I think).

I think so far the biggest problem is that, despite a new cast and a new job for Jack (which he quickly segued into basically doing his old job), the show isn't "new." The formula is going to be stale, and the only thing left they can do is try to shock the audience (i.e., Jack shooting a guy in custody and cutting his head off). One thing that has intrigued me is this terrorist mother character, who might be the most evil, cold-blooded villain the series has seen, and that's saying something.

Frankie
01-13-2005, 08:22 AM
No problem. All my friends watch all those kinda shows. I've had to suffer through some of them. Predictable plot, lame characters, crappy dialogue, and unbelievable storylines.

I agree. I watched most of the first two seasons of "Alias." That's why I drew the comparison. At least "Alias" presents itself as more of a James Bond type of show (with better writing). I've found "24" pretencious and a bit selfish in that we are supposed to think it's realistic. It's not.

Baby Lee
01-13-2005, 08:31 AM
One thing that has intrigued me is this terrorist mother character, who might be the most evil, cold-blooded villain the series has seen, and that's saying something.
Ahhh, yes, Shohreh Aghdashloo. I would suggest 'House of Sand and Fog.' She plays the wife there, and ironically [or suggesting a lack of originality in the 24 writers], her son on 24 [Jonathan Ahdout] is her son in the movie as well. For that matter, her hubby on 24 carries himself much like Ben Kinglsey did as her hubby in HoSaF. Though the family in SoSaF is MUCH different than this one appears to be.

But that voice, so sultry that it's a turn on, yet so deep that you think you might be a little ghey. Makes Kathleen Turner sound like Betty Boop. The only voice like it is Management on Carnivale [which is voiced by Linda Hunt, aka Shadhout Mapes on Dune].

Nice to see Chloe get a little glamor, after a career of playing the wallflower, but WTF is up with Queer Eye for the FBI guy from the Sopranos?

patteeu
01-13-2005, 08:38 AM
So far so good, but like you said, it's tough to keep up the cliffhanger per show pace.

I watched every episode of the first season and then somehow missed the finale (no TIVO). I liked that first season, but missing the ending soured me on the series. I haven't watched again until this season. Don't know if I'll stick with it or not. I don't normally watch much TV so it probably won't make the cut even though the first couple of episodes have been typically enticing.

siberian khatru
01-13-2005, 08:47 AM
Ahhh, yes, Shohreh Aghdashloo. I would suggest 'House of Sand and Fog.' She plays the wife there, and ironically [or suggesting a lack of originality in the 24 writers], her son on 24 [Jonathan Ahdout] is her son in the movie as well. For that matter, her hubby on 24 carries himself much like Ben Kinglsey did as her hubby in HoSaF. Though the family in SoSaF is MUCH different than this one appears to be.

But that voice, so sultry that it's a turn on, yet so deep that you think you might be a little ghey. Makes Kathleen Turner sound like Betty Boop. The only voice like it is Management on Carnivale [which is voiced by Linda Hunt, aka Shadhout Mapes on Dune].

Nice to see Chloe get a little glamor, after a career of playing the wallflower, but WTF is up with Queer Eye for the FBI guy from the Sopranos?

Dennis Miller: "Stop me before I sub-reference again."

Baby Lee
01-13-2005, 08:57 AM
Dennis Miller: "Stop me before I sub-reference again."
Hey!! I skipped the Boomtown and Third Watch refs.

Seriously though, the biggest draw of this season for me thus far is Mary Lynn Rajskub getting a glamor role. She got major 'cool points' from me for being involved with The Larry Sanders Show and Mr. Show with Bob and David, and for being Kirk's GF on Gilmore Girls. But she's always been given the wallflower role, such as her prior 'Chloe' incarnation on Veronica's Closet and the aforementioned role as Kirk's GF.

siberian khatru
01-13-2005, 09:01 AM
Hey!! I skipped the Boomtown and Third Watch refs.

Seriously though, the biggest draw of this season for me thus far is Mary Lynn Rajskub getting a glamor role. She got major 'cool points' from me for being involved with The Larry Sanders Show and Mr. Show with Bob and David, and for being Kirk's GF on Gilmore Girls. But she's always been given the wallflower role, such as her prior 'Chloe' incarnation on Veronica's Closet and the aforementioned role as Kirk's GF.

I envision your TiVo shuddering and belching smoke like a factory running on overdrive.

Michael Michigan
01-13-2005, 09:03 AM
Ahhh, yes, Shohreh Aghdashloo. I would suggest 'House of Sand and Fog.'

House of Sand and fog is one dark movie, and it's well worth watching.

siberian khatru
01-13-2005, 09:05 AM
House of Sand and fog is one dark movie, and it's well worth watching.

Liar. Everyone knows you're culturally illiterate.

Michael Michigan
01-13-2005, 09:09 AM
The lefty bloggers were not happy when Jack "tortured" the terrorist:

http://www.washingtonmonthly.com/archives/individual/2005_01/005440.php

Matt Yglesias, currently hooked on The Wire, has given up on 24. Why? Because in this season's opening episode Jack Bauer broke into an interrogation room, locked everyone else out, and shot a bad guy in the knee in order to extract some information about a kidnapping scheduled to happen ten minutes later. "Just about the most juvenile case for terrorism one can imagine," he says.

I don't get it. My problem with this scene wasn't that 24 had suddenly sunk to the level of torturing suspects to get information. My problem was that it was doing it yet again. I mean, this is just SOP in the 24 universe. Why is it suddenly such a turnoff?

As it happens, the 24 premiere didn't do much for me either, but for different reasons. First, there are practically no returning characters so far. That's kind of a drag. But far more important is that the writers need to come up with something new. Really new. Sure, Jack works for CTU, and that means he's going to chase down terrorists. But when every season turns into a massive global terrorist plot, it eventually gets hard to tell them apart. Which city are they going to threaten to obliterate this time?

My suggestion would have been to tone it down this season. Pick a small terrorist plot with an interesting twist. Focus on some different characters. Ditch the endless cell phone conversations with Air Force One. It could still have been plenty exciting and fast moving, but it would have been a change of pace. Something genuinely different from the first three seasons.

But no one asked me. Sigh. The kneecap shooting was dumb, but it's the idea of sitting through yet another indistinguishable Middle Eastern terrorist plot that's got me fidgety. I'll watch at least a couple more episodes, but that might be it. We'll see.

Michael Michigan
01-13-2005, 09:10 AM
Liar. Everyone knows you're culturally illiterate.

They didn't until now.

:p

Baby Lee
01-13-2005, 09:13 AM
Matt Yglesias, currently hooked on The Wire
Finally caught season one of The Wire on DVD, after having seen seasons 2 and 3 in regular course as an HBO subscriber. And though the second and third were quality, nothing but Deadwood matches the quality of season one. Finally, a show that rewards you for thinking and paying attention.

And yes, it puts 24 to fugging shame.

Lzen
01-13-2005, 09:14 AM
I watched the first season and despite some of the ridiculous stuff, I still enjoyed it. Kinda turned my brain off, a la Gaz. Watched the 2nd season and started getting bored with it and I don't think I even watched the whole season. Didn't watch any of the 3rd season. Lke Gaz, I have the 2 hour season premier sitting on my DVR just waiting to be watched. We'll see if it is worth it.

Deberg_1990
01-13-2005, 07:19 PM
Its ok, althought im not enjoying it as much as seasons 1 and 2. Maybe the formula is getting a little tired??? Im with you though GAZ, I think the show usually starts to tire out around episode 13 or so and then kinda runs stagnant until the last 3 or 4 episodes. IM also somewhat alarmed at the middle eastern sterotypes that have been portrayed in this season thus far. Does every person of Middle Eastern desent have to be a thug or terroist?? Apparantly hollywood thinks so...

tk13
01-13-2005, 07:24 PM
The best part is in every episode Jack gets in this big sexual misunderstanding with the ladies, but in the end it all works out. Hilarity ensues.

Phobia
01-13-2005, 07:27 PM
Haven't watched any of it yet. I'm really struggling with the idea of dumping Alias and 24 for the same reasons I don't enjoy James Bond movies - over the top sensationalism. The first seasons of both were incredibly interesting, but now each season is a pathetic carbon copy of the one before. That doesn't interest me. I may be kicking Jack to the curb.

ENDelt260
01-13-2005, 07:27 PM
The best part is in every episode Jack gets in this big sexual misunderstanding with the ladies, but in the end it all works out. Hilarity ensues.
If I could reach you, I'd slap you.

tk13
01-13-2005, 07:34 PM
If I could reach you, I'd slap you.
ROFL You can't catch me! Float like a butterfly, sting like a Mosquito! Join the Nintendo Fun Club today!

http://www.flipsidesports.net/mac.jpg

Deberg_1990
01-13-2005, 07:36 PM

Hey now, dont desecrate on the tomb on the beloved John Ritter...

Saulbadguy
01-13-2005, 07:42 PM
ROFL You can't catch me! Float like a butterfly, sting like a Mosquito! Join the Nintendo Fun Club today!

http://www.flipsidesports.net/mac.jpg
Push select!

6 Iron
01-13-2005, 08:24 PM
I must admit that I watch the soap opera 24; I have seen the first three years on dvd, and am now in the 21st century DVR club. I enjoy Jack Bauer; I hated Kim's hair and clothing last year, paticularly for the absence of proper rack display; Sheri Palmer is/was priceless.

The first four episodes are promising; I do wish that there was not a requirement for a DSM personality disorder to work at CTU. The neurotics, particularly Chloe, do grate on the nerves more than entertain.

WilliamTheIrish
01-13-2005, 08:29 PM
Finally caught season one of The Wire on DVD, after having seen seasons 2 and 3 in regular course as an HBO subscriber. And though the second and third were quality, nothing but Deadwood matches the quality of season one. Finally, a show that rewards you for thinking and paying attention.

And yes, it puts 24 to fugging shame.

No question. The Wire has been the best show on television for 3 years. IMHO

Deberg_1990
01-13-2005, 08:45 PM
I do wish that there was not a requirement for a DSM personality disorder to work at CTU. The neurotics, particularly Chloe, do grate on the nerves more than entertain.

Chloe is the best part about CTU. Id Tap it!

Cannibal
01-13-2005, 08:48 PM
The 1st season kicked ass, the 2nd season was pretty good. The rest I couldn't sit through any longer. I haven't watched any of this season and don't intend to.

BigOlChiefsfan
01-13-2005, 09:31 PM
So far this year...eh, not bad. In a lot of ways it would have been fine by me if they ended this show after the original season. But considering that 24 is one of the only broadcast TV escapes from the current crop of 'reality' shows, I still watch.

I'll admit that I watch this show as much for the 'cool gadgets' as much as anything else. In the first season I was very interested in Jack's PDA, I had an old Palm IIIx at the time but I'd never seen one incorporating GPS technology. I have a Garmin IQue 3600 now, and these PDA/GPS systems may seem common as dirt these days, but I'd never seen one 3 years ago. I still think they're pretty slick.

I also really want some of the $$$ Surefire flashlights he uses, I have some I can afford...but I want those $300 tactical flashlight gizmos. Just can't justify 'em. Yet.

https://www.brightguy.com/manufacturer/surefire.php

Can't justify the auto knives either, but I'd like some. I still like that Microtech HALO that Jack used to such good effect on the van's exploding gas tank in the first season...

http://www.knifecenter.com/knifecenter/microtech/halo.html

Autoknives, GPS/PDA's, tactical flashlights, sniper rifles, a handgun smorgasbord, tazers and so on...techwar gear. Even if the acting goes downhill, the gadgetry on 24 will probably keep me interested.

BigRedChief
01-14-2005, 07:06 AM
I have my DVR set up to record all the Alias and 24 eposides. It's about all I ever watch (besides football) on TV. 24 is pretty good. Weve seen this before but its still suspenseful and they will kill off major charecters so yu never know. Its not predictable besides the fact you know they wont kill off Jack. but everyone else is fair game.

Alias is mucho fun just to watch Jennifer Garner.:clap:

StcChief
01-14-2005, 07:15 AM
I like it, never watched before.

Interested in the terrorist aspect from inside the US.

Commercial breaks are too long.

ENDelt260
01-14-2005, 09:46 AM
I'll admit that I watch this show as much for the 'cool gadgets' as much as anything else.

In the first season or two, the cordless phones they were using were the same model I had in my home.

That's all I got.

It's a nice phone... but, it basically goes unused since I don't bother with a land line anymore.

ENDelt260
01-14-2005, 09:47 AM
Commercial breaks are too long.

They only last a few seconds for me...

*boop-boop boop-boop*

keg in kc
01-14-2005, 10:25 AM
It's crap so far.

Tonight Battlestar Galactica begins. Can't wait for that.

Frankie
01-14-2005, 10:27 AM
IM also somewhat alarmed at the middle eastern sterotypes that have been portrayed in this season thus far. Does every person of Middle Eastern desent have to be a thug or terroist?? Apparantly hollywood thinks so...

That part does not bother me as long as that's the current political situation. But you are right to question the exclusivity of that portrayal. They would have done well including, say, a middle eastern family of positive contributions too. Also I have a hard time buying the very upper-middle class ME household as a terrorist cell. I usually picture those as populated by religious fanatic types.

Plus I find the bravado displayed by the secretary of defense rather unrealistic and corny (check out his chest-out pose in the terrorist video).

Calcountry
01-14-2005, 12:01 PM
I have not particularly enjoyed the previous seasons of “24.” The show starts out strong, but simply cannot sustain the “cliffhanger of the week” bit over 24 episodes. By hour 13, I am ready for it to be over. The plot twists become tedious and I find myself irritated at the rank stupidity of the top counterterrorist organization in the country.

Still, I set a “24” Season Pass on my TiVo. Each time I bring up the “Now Playing” screen, there is “24,” waiting for me to hit PLAY.

The problem is: I have zero interest in watching it. I considered just canceling the SP and dumping the episodes on the hard drive, but the thought that this season might be different stays my hand.

Without giving me any spoilers, is the 2005 version of “24” worth my time?

xoxo~
Gaz
Leaning against “24” at the moment.

Yes, for one reason. The subject matter is ripped right out of the headlines with respect to terrorism.

Calcountry
01-14-2005, 12:02 PM
I'm watching "24" for the first time this year. Not terrible. But real corny. The writing is not so good. "Alias" is way better (though I haven't watched any of that this year.)
The mother of Berus is a real cold icy Bitch, wouldn't you say Frankie?

Calcountry
01-14-2005, 12:06 PM
It's crap so far.

Tonight Battlestar Galactica begins. Can't wait for that.
I have a season pass for that.

Calcountry
01-14-2005, 12:07 PM
That part does not bother me as long as that's the current political situation. But you are right to question the exclusivity of that portrayal. They would have done well including, say, a middle eastern family of positive contributions too. Also I have a hard time buying the very upper-middle class ME household as a terrorist cell. I usually picture those as populated by religious fanatic types.

Plus I find the bravado displayed by the secretary of defense rather unrealistic and corny (check out his chest-out pose in the terrorist video).
They did have a scene where a lady is serving a terrorist at a cafe, and she made a positive comment.

BigRedChief
01-14-2005, 12:15 PM

It's TV. Entertainment TV. Its only suppose to provide an illusion of reality. If you are a long term terroist in hostile land don't you think it would be a good idea to blend in? Maybe become a part of surburbia?

Calcountry
01-14-2005, 12:57 PM
It's TV. Entertainment TV. Its only suppose to provide an illusion of reality. If you are a long term terroist in hostile land don't you think it would be a good idea to blend in? Maybe become a part of surburbia?
Maybe even have your teenager fraternize with them, er, well maybe not.

Frankie
01-14-2005, 02:03 PM
The mother of Berus is a real cold icy Bitch, wouldn't you say Frankie?

She is. Shohreh Aghdashloo, btw, was a very respected stage and film actress in Iran. During the Shah's time, when real cheap and shallow movies where the predominant body of Iranian cinema, she, in her 20s then, would only accept roles in those rare, deeper, artsier films. Not interested in getting rich I guess. I'm glad she's getting some opportunities here now.

BTW, it would be Behrooz, not Berus. I know because that's my older brother's name. :)

Deberg_1990
01-14-2005, 02:06 PM
She is. Shohreh Aghdashloo, btw, was a very respected stage and film actress in Iran. During the Shah's time, when real cheap and shallow movies where the predominant body of Iranian cinema, she, in her 20s then, would only accept roles in those rare, deeper, artsier films. Not interested in getting rich I guess. I'm glad she's getting some opportunities here now.

BTW, it would be Behrooz, not Berus. I know because that's my older brother's name. :)

This is one of my problems with this season thus far. All the middle eastern types must be terroists or thugs right? How typical? I cant believe she accepted such a streotypical role of a middle eastern terroist?? She was great in "House of Sand and Fog" but now she settles for this crap??

ENDelt260
01-14-2005, 02:09 PM
This is one of my problems with this season thus far. All the middle eastern types must be terroists or thugs right? How typical? I cant believe she accepted such a streotypical role of a middle eastern terroist?? She was great in "House of Sand and Fog" but now she settles for this crap??
Good God... face it, there are ME, Muslim folks who are terrorists.

24's had its share of white bad guys, too.

Frankie
01-14-2005, 02:14 PM

How many parts do you think her agent can find for her? She is 52 and has an accent. Though I've heard her conversational English on the tube and I think she somewhat exaggerates her accent in the films. She has to work I guess.

ENDelt260
01-14-2005, 02:15 PM
She is 52

Really? Wow.

Deberg_1990
01-14-2005, 02:16 PM
How many parts do you think her agent can find for her? She is 52 and has an accent. Though I've heard her conversational English on the tube and I think she somewhat exaggerates her accent in the films. She has to work I guess.

True, she has to feed her family. It would be nice if they wrote a role that wasnt so sterotypical though..who knows, maybe it will evolve as the show goes along??

ENDelt260
01-14-2005, 02:19 PM
It would be nice if they wrote a role that wasnt so sterotypical though

It's a show about terrorists. What do you want, a main character that's from the ME that has nothing to do with the story line to satisfy you that the writers aren't racist?

Deberg_1990
01-14-2005, 02:21 PM
It's a show about terrorists. What do you want, a main character that's from the ME that has nothing to do with the story line to satisfy you that the writers aren't racist?

IM not saying the writers are racist. Just naive. and yes, it would be nice to have a character that worked with Jack or at CTU that was ME desent who wasnt a terroist for once.....Think outside the box....

Frankie
01-14-2005, 02:24 PM
True.... And the hole story happens in 24 hours. So they can't have too many more characters.

Frankie
01-14-2005, 02:26 PM
Really? Wow.

Yes she is. I guess she looks it on the close ups. But she looks very well kept on longer shots. It must be all that nice black hair.

Baby Lee
01-14-2005, 02:27 PM
I hope they make good use of her talents and give her a real motivation behind her role.

ENDelt260
01-14-2005, 02:28 PM
They threw in a token for folks like you, Deberg. Perhaps you missed the gal who was talking to Dad terrorist that made mention of how she wished folks wouldn't do that sort of thing because it makes it harder for the rest of them.

ENDelt260
01-14-2005, 02:28 PM
They threw in a token for folks like you, Deberg. Perhaps you missed the gal who was talking to Dad terrorist that made mention of how she wished folks wouldn't do that sort of thing because it makes it harder for the rest of them.
Wait... didn't bunnytrdr already mention this? Or, did I imagine that?

Deberg_1990
01-14-2005, 02:32 PM

Yea, i caught that as well.......too bad it was more of a "blink or you will miss it" kind of thing, and I beleive she was off-camera when she said it??

Frankie
01-14-2005, 02:38 PM
True, she has to feed her family. It would be nice if they wrote a role that wasnt so sterotypical though..who knows, maybe it will evolve as the show goes along??

I was hoping she would end up being the one who would turn good before the end. But after the poisoning, there's no hope.

ENDelt260
01-14-2005, 02:41 PM
I was hoping she would end up being the one who would turn good before the end. But after the poisoning, there's no hope.
You gotta have a bad chick.

And, she doesn't irritate the shit out of me like Sheri Palmer.

Deberg_1990
01-14-2005, 02:43 PM
I was hoping she would end up being the one who would turn good before the end.

That role looks like it will go to the son. Thats the same kid who played her son in "House of Sand and Fog" as well.

Frankie
01-14-2005, 02:45 PM

I'm visualizing her in Irene Pappas type roles. But Hollywood doesn't usually have those anymore. And who would be the Anthony Quinn opposite her?

siberian khatru
01-14-2005, 02:46 PM

I actually thought she would ... seemed like there were a couple of moments where maybe she was giving off signs of doubt. But yeah, after she offed the teenybopper, I think she's hardcore.

Baby Lee
01-14-2005, 02:47 PM
And, she doesn't irritate the shit out of me like Sheri Palmer.

Makes rewatching Larry Sanders Show episodes a little strange.

ENDelt260
That role looks like it will go to the son.

He's quite nicely filling the role of the irritating pantywaste I wanna slap the snot out of.

ENDelt260
Makes rewatching Larry Sanders Show episodes a little strange.
Are those airing in syndication on some channel?

Eh, no matter... unless it was an HBO, I can't imagine it'd be as fun. I need my f-bombs.

Phobia
01-14-2005, 02:50 PM
I've made a decision. I'm going to join Deberg in protest of this show. My wife is watching it at this moment and has instructions to delete it when she is through. My decision is final.

Deberg_1990
01-14-2005, 02:51 PM
I actually thought she would ... seemed like there were a couple of moments where maybe she was giving off signs of doubt. But yeah, after she offed the teenybopper, I think she's hardcore.

She could have at least let her son get him some poon before she offed her??

ENDelt260
01-14-2005, 02:51 PM
She could have at least let her son get him some poon before she offed her??
Please. The kid's too much of a pussy to make a move.