PDA

View Full Version : Interesting bit of information to share about the Pittsburgh Steelers

bricks
01-13-2005, 10:10 AM
When you watch the Pittsburgh Steelers this Saturday take a close look at their helmets and you'll see this is true. The Steelers are the only team in the NFL to place their logo on a single side of their headgear, it didn't happen by accident. According to Pittsburghsteelers.com, the design began as a temporary measure in 1962 when then the Steelers equipment manager Jack Hart was told by the team to put the Steelmark logo, as it's called, on the right side of the player's helmet. Their concern was, the team wasn't sure if it would like the Steelmark logo on an all-gold helmet, instead, they wanted to test the design before pasting it on both sides. The Steelers finished the 1962 season with a 9-5 record, and was the winningest record in franchise history at the time. No one in the organization wanted to mess with success. For the playoffs that year, the Steelers did change their helmets to black, which helped highlight the logo which is emblematic of the steel industry that was such a big part of the industrial economic fabric.

But because of the curiousity from the observers and the uniqueness of having the logo on just one side, the Steelers decided to make it a permanent tradition . Marking on football helmets only became official in pro football during the 1950's. The Steelers used numbers, but eventually adopted the logo. The Steelmark is a design created by U.S. Steel. The colours of the design are emblematic of the ingredients used to produce steel. Yellow represents coal,
orange represents ore, and blue is for steel scrap. The logo seemed to be a perfect fit for those hard-nosed Steelers championship teams during the 1970's.

Kris Kringle
01-13-2005, 10:17 AM
Interesting. But I think moste people already knew that they only had their logo on one side.

Hoover
01-13-2005, 10:20 AM
old news.

yunghungwell
01-13-2005, 10:24 AM
I was so surprised that I had never noticed this before that I shit one of you. *sarcasm*

CosmicPal
01-13-2005, 10:26 AM
I just thought they just cheap bastards or something.

bricks
01-13-2005, 10:31 AM
I was so surprised that I had never noticed this before that I shit one of you. *sarcasm*

STFU