PDA

View Full Version : Should the Number Of Playoff Teams Be Expanded Now That TWO 8-8 Teams Have Advanced?

RINGLEADER
01-13-2005, 10:19 AM
I know the Chiefs organization proposed just such a thing last off-season (I think the plan was to add one wild card team and give only the number one seed a bye). Now that both the Rams and Vikings have advanced in the playoffs do you think the idea of expanding the number of playoff participants should be re-visited?

ENDelt260
01-13-2005, 10:24 AM
No.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding where you're coming from. I view two 8-8 teams in the playoffs as an argument *against* increasing the number of teams.

Kclee
01-13-2005, 10:25 AM
Probably shouldn't expand. You saw the donks get in the playoffs for the AFC. They truely didn't belong. Just leave it I say. Or have all the teams make it. Brackets like NCAA hoops. That would be some serious betting. Most interesting too, imo.

morphius
01-13-2005, 10:29 AM
Even with them advancing, I think the owners will be more against it. I would much rather have an effort in increasing the number of active players on Sunday by 2.

Chan93lx50
01-13-2005, 10:29 AM
Probably shouldn't expand. You saw the donks get in the playoffs for the AFC. They truely didn't belong. Just leave it I say. Or have all the teams make it. Brackets like NCAA hoops. That would be some serious betting. Most interesting too, imo.

Problem with that is then it would take away from the 16 weeks prior to the playoffs.

That the thing I love about football every game means something, unlike NBA or Baseball where if you lose a game, big deal!

Rausch
01-13-2005, 10:31 AM
No.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding where you're coming from. I view two 8-8 teams in the playoffs as an argument *against* increasing the number of teams.

Couldn't agree more...

Kclee
01-13-2005, 10:50 AM
That the thing I love about football every game means something, unlike NBA or Baseball where if you lose a game, big deal!

Good point. That would happen to some degree, how much though? A hand full of team didn't play starters the last 2 games. How much did the Chiefs games really 'mean' after the first month or so? 1/3 the league was out of the playoffs by then too. I just think that the Chiefs have had some disappointing seasons lately and at the end of this year I would have liked to see the #11 seeded Chiefs take on the #6 seeded Broncos in the playoffs.

Soupnazi
01-13-2005, 10:52 AM
I'm with ENDelt. Two 8-8 teams have no business being in the playoffs.

beavis
01-13-2005, 10:58 AM
If anything it's an argument for reducing the number of playoff teams.

Mr. Laz
01-13-2005, 10:59 AM
I know the Chiefs organization proposed just such a thing last off-season

No, the chiefs just want more team let into the playoff so they dont as much heat for doing a bad job.

in their opinion, JUST making the playoff is considered a successful season. Regardless of whether you really deserved it or actually do anything once you get there.

if it was up to carl, 80% of the nfl teams would make the playoff ... then he could take even longer vacations.

Bob Dole
01-13-2005, 11:03 AM

One 10-6 team had no business being there, too.

Eliminate the wild card teams altogether.

Oh wait...they'd lose television revenue. Nevermind.

Dartgod
01-13-2005, 11:05 AM
I don't know if this has been mentioned or not, but to me, two 8-8 teams in the playoffs is an argument *against* increasing the number of teams.

StcChief
01-13-2005, 11:06 AM
How about the best Teams in the NFL

Forget this NFC vs. AFC Superbowl idea.

The best teams in the NFL in a tourney.

Leave the # of teams alone.

Mr. Laz
01-13-2005, 11:07 AM

actually the wildcards are a necessary thing

without them only the division winners would make the playoffs. That would of mean the the Colts would NOT of made the playoffs this year.

the playoffs would be determined more by how weak your division is rather than how good you are.

keep the wildcards

although not dividing the Wildcards up by conference might be interesting. This year there wouldn't of prolly been any wildcards in the NFC. Don't know how hard that would be to work logistically though.

Calcountry
01-13-2005, 11:07 AM
Absolutely not. It would completely diminish the value of regular season wins.

do you remember the Cowboys continuing to start Testes Verde because they still had a shot when they were like 3-9 ???

beavis
01-13-2005, 11:09 AM

I didn't really care at first, but I'm really starting to dislike the 8 division format. Winning your division just isn't as big of a deal as it used to be. Now two division winners play on "wildcard" weekend. That's dumb.

Amnorix
01-13-2005, 11:09 AM
Let's not turn the NFL into the NHL, where about 60+% of teams make it to the playoffs. It's absurd.

mikey23545
01-13-2005, 11:15 AM
No.

Exactly.

If 8-8 teams are making the field, the net is being cast a little too widely already.

ENDelt260
01-13-2005, 11:21 AM
Let's not turn the NFL into the NHL, where about 60+% of teams make it to the playoffs. It's absurd.
The NHL did a great job of making sure that wouldn't happen this year.

Straight, No Chaser
01-13-2005, 11:23 AM
:hmmm: :rolleyes:While they're at it, lets start the playoffs earlier so games can be played on Christmas Eve, Christmas day, the day after Christmas, and Epiphany.

---->

Phobia
01-13-2005, 11:24 AM

Nice.

Phobia
01-13-2005, 11:25 AM
Exactly.

If 8-8 teams are making the field, the net is being cast a little too widely already.

Maybe we should simply add 2 playoff teams to the AFC.

Alton deFlat
01-13-2005, 11:28 AM

What's the NHL??

PHOG
01-13-2005, 11:39 AM
actually the wildcards are a necessary thing

without them only the division winners would make the playoffs. That would of mean the the Colts would NOT of made the playoffs this year.

:hmmm: I thought the Colts won their division... :shrug:

Garcia Bronco
01-13-2005, 11:46 AM

Gay...if we didn't belong...we wouldn't have made it. I swear...the ignorance.

MOhillbilly
01-13-2005, 11:49 AM
i think any team that sucks and the owners wants to move should be folded till the divisions have 2 less teams each conference.
Parody is starting to blowcock.

Kclee
01-13-2005, 11:53 AM
Gay...if we didn't belong...we wouldn't have made it. I swear...the ignorance.

That's funny. Did you watch the game? Obviously you didn't belong. Good thing you played the JV colts team to get in too.

Mr. Laz
01-13-2005, 11:59 AM
:hmmm: I thought the Colts won their division... :shrug:
they did... my brain just shut down for some reason :shrug:

it's the pats and jets that i'm thinking of

Patriots 14 2
Jets 10 6

without the wildcards ... two AFC 10-6 teams get screwed out of the playoffs.

t'would be intereseting if all the wildcards could be in the AFC or NFC

then the Bills/Ravens prolly make the playoffs this year instead of the Vikes and Rams.

PHOG
01-13-2005, 12:05 PM
How about the best Teams in the NFL

Forget this NFC vs. AFC Superbowl idea.

The best teams in the NFL in a tourney.

Leave the # of teams alone.

I like this idea, but there would still be 4 teams getting a bye...I don't like teams getting byes in tournaments... :harumph:

PHOG
01-13-2005, 12:07 PM
without the wildcards ... two AFC 10-6 teams get screwed out of the playoffs.

t'would be intereseting if all the wildcards could be in the AFC or NFC

then the Bills/Ravens prolly make the playoffs this year instead of the Vikes and Rams.

But one could make the argument that the Seahags and Packers didn't belong.... :)

Garcia Bronco
01-13-2005, 12:20 PM
That's funny. Did you watch the game? Obviously you didn't belong. Good thing you played the JV colts team to get in too.

Am I going to have school this one too?

Ask the Colts "JV" team if they were trying to win the game. We also won 9 other games besides that one. But your logic is flawed....if we didn't belong in the playoffs...then the Colts "JV" should have beat us. Ask the Bills if the Steelers "JV" was an easy win in week 17. There are no easy wins. Maybe 15 years ago...but not anymore.

Kclee
01-13-2005, 12:41 PM
Am I going to have school this one too?

Ask the Colts "JV" team if they were trying to win the game. We also won 9 other games besides that one. But your logic is flawed....if we didn't belong in the playoffs...then the Colts "JV" should have beat us. Ask the Bills if the Steelers "JV" was an easy win in week 17. There are no easy wins. Maybe 15 years ago...but not anymore.

Ok, Ok, your right. The donks gave the colts a run for their money in the playoffs and it was a tight, hard fought game like most playoff games are. Donkey fans should be proud of the way it ended it's season.
Is class over?

Claynus
01-13-2005, 12:49 PM
Make each playoff round a seven game series. The Chiefs can win 4 out of 7, right? Might give Marty a chance to get it all figured out, too.