PDA

View Full Version : Patriots trying to make an unfair advantage?

Stinger
01-13-2005, 11:26 AM
National Sports talk radio shows are up in arms over this ... Stupid I think, if you get homefield advantage might as well use it.

Pats uncover a new home-field advantage: Team's plan to protect turf is out in open
By Michael Felger
Thursday, January 13, 2005

FOXBORO - Yesterday dawned cold, wet and miserable across New England. In Foxboro, the conditions were probably worse than anywhere, with an overnight snowfall giving way to a driving rain that lasted from morning until night. It was, by any measure, a day to cover up and get out of the elements.

Unless, that is, you like to wallow in the cold and mud.

It's safe to say the Indianapolis Colts don't, and that explains why the Patriots [stats (http://146.145.120.3/default.asp?c=bostonherald&page=nfl/teams/TEAMSTAT077.htm), news (http://news.bostonherald.com/search/?searchSite=recent&keyword=Patriots)] kept the field at Gillette Stadium uncovered as the turf was pelted by the weather. As always, there were tarps nearby, ready to be rolled out. They sat untouched.

The Pats enjoy home-field advantage for Sunday's divisional playoff against the dome-dwelling Colts, and they obviously plan to capitalize on every inch of it. Not that you'd ever get Bill Belichick [news (http://news.bostonherald.com/search/?searchSite=recent&keyword=Bill Belichick)] to fess up to that.

``My job is not to pull weeds,'' he said.

As everyone knows, the Colts are at their best on the carpet of their climate-controlled RCA Dome, where defensive end Dwight Freeney can take advantage of the turf and crowd noise to blow by left tackles, and record-setting quarterback Peyton Manning never has to worry about his receivers slipping or his passes being knocked down by the wind. The Pats, meanwhile, have a championship-proven defense built on size, toughness and physical play. In the parlance of horse racing, they're mudders - and they've won 19 straight at Gillette.

The turf has been a touchy subject between Belichick and the NFL the last few years. Last season, the league forced the Pats to replace it prior to their divisional playoff game against Tennessee, although it was still a mess by the time the Colts showed up for the AFC title game. This year, the Pats took matters into their own hands, laying new sod in the middle of the field after it was torn up during their rain-soaked win over Baltimore on Nov. 28.

After this week's pelting, the Colts can only imagine what it will look like Sunday. More rain is expected tomorrow, while the forecast for the game is partly cloudy skies with a chance of flurries and a high temperature of 30. History shows that the worse the conditions, the worse off the Colts will be.

Of the Colts' four losses this season, three came outdoors. And since Manning took over as starting quarterback in 1998, the Colts are 25-25 (.500) outside. Their indoor record over that time is 45-24 (.652).

Manning downplayed the dome factor yesterday.

``People talk about that, about how being a dome team kind of gives you an advantage. But I don't really believe it,'' he said. ``I still think it comes down to good execution. And that will be the key on Sunday. It comes down to whether you can play pitch and catch. Whether you can block and tackle.''

Pats left tackle Matt Light [news (http://news.bostonherald.com/search/?searchSite=recent&keyword=Matt Light)] said he'll take whatever help he can get against Freeney.

``There's a little bit of a difference, but in the end these guys are going to be playing on the same field we are,'' he said. ``And they know how to play on this surface. It's no big mystery. They're not going to change their style just because of where they're playing - I can guarantee you that.''

Just one domed team has ever won the Super Bowl, and that came only after the 1999 Rams played three straight indoor games in the postseason, two at home and one in the Super Bowl in Atlanta. In other words, no domed team has ever gone outside and won it all. In NFL history, only 10 domed teams have made it as far as their conference title game.

Light is glad to be at Gillette this week.

``It's what you play for,'' he said. ``That's the advantage. Being in your own stadium, being able to hear the calls offensively and not getting a late start off the line. That's why you want to play at your place in these types of games.''

Link (http://patriots.bostonherald.com/patriots/view.bg?articleid=63276)

Well that is one way to slow them down. :hmmm:

Mile High Mania
01-13-2005, 11:28 AM
There's nothing wrong with that in my opinion.

The "elements" are a part of the game and it's not like this won't affect NE to a degree...

Rausch
01-13-2005, 11:28 AM
Sounds like a fair advantage to me.

Screw the arena league teams...

MOhillbilly
01-13-2005, 11:29 AM
if the colts cant getrdun in the slop knuckle up and play facemask to facemask they should have won more games in the regular season.

jspchief
I hope it blows up their face, and Brady slips and tears a hammy.

Soupnazi
Football shouldn't be played in a dome anywhere, IMO.

If your team isn't built to play outdoors in less than ideal conditions, then tough cookies.

Dartgod
Sounds like a fair advantage to me.

Screw the arena league teams...
Yup. They should make the Rams and the Falcons play their game there too.

StcChief
01-13-2005, 11:32 AM
Good for Pats.
Piss on dome teams, they don't deserve to be there if they can't win outside.

Hope they play in freezing rain too. :p

Nzoner
01-13-2005, 11:32 AM
Football shouldn't be played in a dome anywhere, IMO.

If your team isn't built to play outdoors in less than ideal conditions, then tough cookies.

And every NFL city should have a shot at getting the Superbowl,to hell with the whine and cheesers who just go to say they went.

Tuckdaddy
01-13-2005, 11:33 AM
So the Pats need a mud soaked field to win on Sunday? Cowards. Belichek is a liar. He was consulted on whether or not to cover the field and he said not to do it. "It's not my job to pull weeds.", No shiat?

Mile High Mania
01-13-2005, 11:36 AM
So the Pats need a mud soaked field to win on Sunday? Cowards. Belichek is a liar. He was consulted on whether or not to cover the field and he said not to do it. "It's not my job to pull weeds.", No shiat?

Role reversal...

Indy is coming to Arrowhead to play and it's raining all week in KC and the Chiefs pull the same stunt. Are the Chiefs a bunch of cowards?

Tuckdaddy
01-13-2005, 11:36 AM
Good for Pats.
Piss on dome teams, they don't deserve to be there if they can't win outside.

Hope they play in freezing rain too. :p

Piss on the dome teams? O.K. Fine, but I say PISS ON NE! How about a new team make it to the bowl. Who the hell wants to watch NE again?

Besides their own fans.

Mile High Mania
01-13-2005, 11:37 AM
Piss on the dome teams? O.K. Fine, but I say PISS ON NE! How about a new team make it to the bowl. Who the hell wants to watch NE again?

Besides their own fans.

Bitter much?

Soupnazi
01-13-2005, 11:38 AM
And every NFL city should have a shot at getting the Superbowl,to hell with the whine and cheesers who just go to say they went.

Couldn't agree more. I guess I'm just a traditionalist w/ football, but I see nothing wrong with playing the SB in Green Bay because it might be "too cold." Perish the thought...

Cochise
01-13-2005, 11:39 AM
There's nothing wrong with this.

People complaining are just someone with an axe to grind against the Patriots and don't want to see them win.

So they're a well coached, good football team that almost always wins. Sue them :rolleyes:

Katipan
01-13-2005, 11:44 AM
Lets not piss on dome teams too much. Unless you've sat in Sun Devil stadium and have been fused to the metal seats that baked at 120 degrees for 12 hours.

Garcia Bronco
01-13-2005, 11:45 AM
Awesome...playing in the muck is a part of football

MOhillbilly
01-13-2005, 11:46 AM
Lets not piss on dome teams too much. Unless you've sat in Sun Devil stadium and have been fused to the metal seats that baked at 120 degrees for 12 hours.

you went to a 12 hour game.
WOW!

Skip Towne
With their weather, it's likely the field will be frozen. I hope so. The Pats are the most boring team in football.

Katipan
If we're being clever, I never said watched a game.

PastorMikH
01-13-2005, 11:47 AM
:deevee: :deevee: :deevee:

If the Colts don't like it, they should win more games. That's the perks of winning more games than the other team.

Stinger
01-13-2005, 11:48 AM
And the continuing _ussyifacation of Football continues .... The league now says it is looking into the situation. So you can't touch the QB, or reciever, but by gawd you better tackle your groundskeeper.

:shake: :banghead:

PastorMikH
01-13-2005, 11:50 AM
I guess Manning would really be upset if he were going to Chokeland and playing after Al soaked parts of the field and only let his players know where the muddy spots were.

The field is made of dirt and real grass just like God intended. It also is being affected by the elements that God sent. PLAY BALL!

jspchief
01-13-2005, 11:52 AM
There a certain expectation that teams will keep their field in good condition. Other teams have gotten in trouble for having crappy conditions throughout the regular season. It's that much worse that it was done intentionally. It's one thing to be forced to face the elemnts, it's something entirely different to essentially doctor the field to simulate the elements.

MOhillbilly
01-13-2005, 11:52 AM
If we're being clever, I never said watched a game.

if im bein who? so what was it?

ENDelt260
01-13-2005, 11:56 AM

Besides their own fans.
I've got no problem with seeing NE in the SB again. But, I'd be just as cool with Pittsburgh, I guess.

Just as long as NE beats Indy this weekend. That I DEFNITELY want to see.

ENDelt260
01-13-2005, 11:57 AM
I sat in Sun Devil for football games. Am I allowed to piss on dome teams?

ChiefsCountry
01-13-2005, 12:01 PM

I agree the cities that support the football best are in cold weather towns - KC, Green Bay, Denver, Buffalo etc. Screw going to Jacksonville were they can't sell out a regular season game. Why should they get a freaking Super Bowl. :cuss:

Baby Lee
01-13-2005, 12:01 PM

Besides their own fans.
Well I certainly don't want the Colts in there. You got 3 teams left in the AFC that know how to play D, and one that can't. Martha Fock the Arena League teams.

Besides, how much worse will it be, if the Colts win the big enchilada with a D just a whisker better than ours?

jspchief
01-13-2005, 12:09 PM
Besides, how much worse will it be, if the Colts win the big enchilada with a D just a whisker better than ours?

Want some salt on that wound? The Colts also "stood pat" this off-season, rather than aquiring FAs to shore up last year's lousy defense.

Iowanian
01-13-2005, 12:16 PM
Its not like only the Colts have to play in the conditions...........the way football should be played.

Teams like the Colts and Lambs have too much of the same Advantage in Domes.

Bearcat
01-13-2005, 12:19 PM

Besides their own fans.

As it's been stated with the HFA thing, I think it's pretty easy to ask yourself if it's what you would want the Chiefs to do in both situations. There's no reason to be POed at NE for being a winning franchise... it's not like they're violating the salary cap during their SB winning years (that we know of ;) ) or anything.

I was surprised to see NE led the poll in yesterday's "Who do you want to lose this weekend" ....maybe it's just me, but ever since they came out as a team against St. Louis, and then repeatedly punched them in the mouth during the game, I've had respect for the franchise. Like it or not, they deserve all the publicity about winning so many in a row and becoming a dynasty. They do everything every other team wants to do, and then become better.

BCD
01-13-2005, 12:26 PM
I've got no problem with seeing NE in the SB again. But, I'd be just as cool with Pittsburgh, I guess.

Just as long as NE beats Indy this weekend. That I DEFNITELY want to see.No way. No Pittsburgh. I live in NE Ohio, plenty of Steelers fans around here. They're just about as bad as Donkey fans...

Amnorix
01-13-2005, 01:33 PM

Bad karma that. Never wish for injuries, whether to an opponent or a player you dislike.

I never given out neg rep except when soemone hit me with it first (and not even then in a long time), but this is the first time I've even been tempted...

KCTitus
01-13-2005, 01:35 PM
Field conditions...schmeild conditions...

It all comes down to what the keepers of the hankie do this time around--do they allow sodomy or not--that's the HFA.

Amnorix
01-13-2005, 01:35 PM
With their weather, it's likely the field will be frozen. I hope so. The Pats are the most boring team in football.

Seen the Ravens play in the last several years?

Actually, our offense is alot better this year. Like 4th in scoring...

Amnorix
01-13-2005, 01:40 PM
My take is that the NFL isn't freaking baseball, where they cancel a game cuz of a little bad weather.

Indy gets its dome 8 games a year, guaranteed. Now that they're in the AFC South, they get games at Jax (Florida) and Houston (nice weather, and aren't they a dome team too) every year also. That's about 10 games a year in nearly perfect weather conditions. Which they are DESIGNED for.

It's the playoffs, they DID NOT get home field advantage, so fug 'em. They get what Mother Nature give them.

StcChief
01-13-2005, 01:41 PM
NE at Pitt for the AFC Championship will be the playoff game to watch.

NFC - ATL at Philly.

Just don't hope for a Dome NFC Championship in Lambland. Vikes at Lambs ????

tk13
01-13-2005, 01:44 PM
This has been a HUGE deal over on the Colts forum the last couple days.... the fans of both teams have been arguing over how the NFL handles field protection and whatnot. I guess the rule apparently is that the home team has to cover the field the day before and day of the game if precipitation is expected. Somebody over there also supposedly has a friend who works at Gilette Stadium and that friend said the field hasn't been covered in two weeks and is pretty muddy-looking, not very green.

Baby Lee
01-13-2005, 01:45 PM
Field conditions...schmeild conditions...

It all comes down to what the keepers of the hankie do this time around--do they allow sodomy or not--that's the HFA.
I prefer the sodomy to the tacky-tacking the Rams right down the field last week.

KCTitus
01-13-2005, 01:46 PM
I prefer the sodomy...

You would. :p

Valiant
01-13-2005, 01:47 PM
This is no different then home teams having the advantage of building their team to speed that suites their astroturf... This is a classic point of having home field advantage, its your turf...

Amnorix
01-13-2005, 01:48 PM
This has been a HUGE deal over on the Colts forum the last couple days.... the fans of both teams have been arguing over how the NFL handles field protection and whatnot. I guess the rule apparently is that the home team has to cover the field the day before and day of the game if precipitation is expected. Somebody over there also supposedly has a friend who works at Gilette Stadium and that friend said the field hasn't been covered in two weeks and is pretty muddy-looking, not very green.

So the Patriots are in compliance with all NFL rules. Excellent.... :thumb: That's all I ask for.

KCTitus
01-13-2005, 01:49 PM
My take is that the NFL isn't freaking baseball, where they cancel a game cuz of a little bad weather.

It's the playoffs, they DID NOT get home field advantage, so fug 'em. They get what Mother Nature give them.

By 3 points...they HFA for this game. It's a pretty tall order to start week 1 on the road against NE coming off the SB. Indy wins that game, they're playing in the Dome on Sunday.

KCJake
01-13-2005, 01:50 PM
:clap:

tk13
01-13-2005, 01:52 PM
So the Patriots are in compliance with all NFL rules. Excellent.... :thumb: That's all I ask for.
All the fans who've been saying that over there are Pats fans, so obviously they're going to defend their team, I believe that's what they said the rules are.

cadmonkey
01-13-2005, 01:55 PM
When they were planning a new stadium up here they were thinking about making it a dome just becuase of the awful weather we always get. This is why I am glad there is no roof. If the Colts can't win in the mud, rain, snow whatever they don't deserve to call themselves the champs.

Home field advantage is just that, an advantage.

KCTitus
01-13-2005, 01:57 PM

It is? [/chiefs fan]

cadmonkey
01-13-2005, 02:01 PM

It hasn't been green since 6 weeks ago. That is what playing in rain and snow everyweek does to teh turf. Covering it sure as hell doesn't grow grass back.

cadmonkey
01-13-2005, 02:03 PM
It is? [/chiefs fan]

Sure is, Mr. Brady hasn't lost a home playoff game yet, or any playoff game for that point.

Amnorix
01-13-2005, 02:12 PM
When they were planning a new stadium up here they were thinking about making it a dome just becuase of the awful weather we always get. This is why I am glad there is no roof. If the Colts can't win in the mud, rain, snow whatever they don't deserve to call themselves the champs.

Good point. And, of course, this is one of the reasons that, in the end, they decided against a Dome.

KCTitus
01-13-2005, 02:16 PM
Sure is, Mr. Brady hasn't lost a home playoff game yet, or any playoff game for that point.

Im guessing the humor in the fact that the last 3 playoff appearances since 1995 that KC has played in, they have played at home and lost, was lost based upon your response.

Amnorix
01-13-2005, 02:18 PM
By 3 points...they HFA for this game. It's a pretty tall order to start week 1 on the road against NE coming off the SB. Indy wins that game, they're playing in the Dome on Sunday.

Right. But, umm, they lost. So they gotta come here. And my sympathy for them is non-existent.

And yes, I know they only lost because they turned the ball over 3 times in the red zone or whatever it was. But the Patriots only lost at Miami because of two turnovers in the last 4 minutes. Dems da breaks.

Hell, when you look at it, the Patriots played even with Pittsburgh except for one bad 5 minute stretch of football at the end of the first quarter. Add that to the last 4 minutes of the Miami game, and NINE MINUTES of bad football was what kept the Patriots from having an undefeated season.

So what. We're 14-2 and that's the way it is. And they're 12-4 and that's the way it is. So they play here.

And the weather here sucks. We've got a wall of fog right now. There could be strippers dancing naked on the roottop of the building across from me and I'd never know it. They gotta come play here because WE EARNED IT. And if they beat us here then THEY WILL HAVE EARNED IT.

Mile High Mania
01-13-2005, 02:18 PM
People just need something to whine about...

It's either the field issues or Randy Moss' ass on the radio today... There are Divisional Playoff games and all they want to talk about is Randy Moss and are the Patriots cheating.

Fawking Boring.

tk13
01-13-2005, 02:21 PM
I'm trying to see if I can find a picture, supposedly the Colts accidently had the "Colts: AFC Champions" shirt listed on their official website's pro shop... they took it down though.

jspchief
01-13-2005, 02:21 PM
Normally I would say it's tough luck for the Colts, but the NFL has already set a precedent for an expectation of decent field conditions. I believe it was cleveland that had to redo their entire field under NFL order because it was in such bad shape.

This isn't "the field is in bad shape because we had bad weather", it's "the field is in bad shape because we intentionally neglected to give it proper care (and the care we otherwise do give it)"

It's cheap trick to try and gain an advantage. It may be within the rules, but it's similar to the "within the rules" type of mentality that Denver uses.

I reiterate, I hope it backfires and gives Pats players injuries.

Mile High Mania
01-13-2005, 02:24 PM
Normally I would say it's tough luck for the Colts, but the NFL has already set a precedent for an expectation of decent field conditions. I believe it was cleveland that had to redo their entire field under NFL order because it was in such bad shape.

This isn't "the field is in bad shape because we had bad weather", it's "the field is in bad shape because we intentionally neglected to give it proper care (and the care we otherwise do give it)"

It's cheap trick to try and gain an advantage. It may be within the rules, but it's similar to the "within the rules" type of mentality that Denver uses.

I reiterate, I hope it backfires and gives Pats players injuries.

I'll ask you the same that I asked someone else...

Dream a bit and imagine it's Indy at KC this weekend and it's cold and raining like hell at Arrowhead. KC pulls the same stunt...

Does your view change?

Calcountry
01-13-2005, 02:27 PM
You know things will be getting fishy, when some retractable roof team opens up the roof to let it rain on the field some day. lmao.

KCTitus
01-13-2005, 02:28 PM
Right. But, umm, they lost. So they gotta come here. And my sympathy for them is non-existent.

So what. We're 14-2 and that's the way it is. And they're 12-4 and that's the way it is. So they play here.

...And if they beat us here then THEY WILL HAVE EARNED IT.

You totally missed my point...

The first week of the season is a tough game because even though all the practice, camp, etc. has been done to get prepped, things still arent running as smoothly as say week 4 or week 8 or week 12.

Im not going to say it wasnt fair to put Indy at NE in week 1, but that game was a HUGE advantage for NE, much like KC playing at Den in week 1...

Im just saying is the outcome the same when everything is humming a few weeks later as opposed to week 1? I think maybe so...

jspchief
01-13-2005, 02:33 PM
I'll ask you the same that I asked someone else...

Dream a bit and imagine it's Indy at KC this weekend and it's cold and raining like hell at Arrowhead. KC pulls the same stunt...

Does your view change?

If KC normally takes better care of the field, I would still think it was cheap. I may still celebrate if we won, but I also cheer when we get bad ref calls that go our way. Just because I'm a homer and will turn a blind eye when it benefits my team, it doesn't automatically make it right.

I can look at it from all different angles. What if it was just a regular season game, and your team showed up to a field that was so poorly maintained that it was dangerous to your players? It's happened before, and teams threatened to not play if the conditions weren't improved. Thats where the NFL stepped in.

My biggest sticking point is that the NFL has gotten involved with poor field conditions before. That gives other teams the right to have a certain expectation of decent conditions, immediate weather conditions excluded.

Calcountry
01-13-2005, 02:37 PM
Role reversal...

Indy is coming to Arrowhead to play and it's raining all week in KC and the Chiefs pull the same stunt. Are the Chiefs a bunch of cowards?
No, but if they put Crisco all over themselves, that might qualify.

Mile High Mania
01-13-2005, 02:38 PM
If KC normally takes better care of the field, I would still think it was cheap. I may still celebrate if we won, but I also cheer when we get bad ref calls that go our way. Just because I'm a homer and will turn a blind eye when it benefits my team, it doesn't automatically make it right.

I can look at it from all different angles. What if it was just a regular season game, and your team showed up to a field that was so poorly maintained that it was dangerous to your players? It's happened before, and teams threatened to not play if the conditions weren't improved. Thats where the NFL stepped in.

My biggest sticking point is that the NFL has gotten involved with poor field conditions before. That gives other teams the right to have a certain expectation of decent conditions, immediate weather conditions excluded.

My point is that if you would cheer a KC win and ignore it... then quit complaining about NE.

Mile High Mania
01-13-2005, 02:39 PM

(...what's the word...)

Oh yeah! You are deflecting ... stick to the topic, this has nothing to do with my cheating Broncos.

jspchief
01-13-2005, 02:42 PM
My point is that if you would cheer a KC win and ignore it... then quit complaining about NE.

Ummm yea. F*ck You.

But what else would I expect from a fan of the most gutless team in the league. Just because you've numbed yourself to the lack of character of your organization, doesn't mean the rest of the NFL is ready to stoop to your level.

Honestly, I'd be embarrassed for my team if they had to resort to cheap tactics to win a game.

Stinger
01-13-2005, 02:44 PM
I'm trying to see if I can find a picture, supposedly the Colts accidently had the "Colts: AFC Champions" shirt listed on their official website's pro shop... they took it down though.

Heard that yesterday on the Dan Patrick Show he bought one on the air, 5 Minutes later it was no longer availble. ROFL

Mile High Mania
01-13-2005, 02:47 PM
Ummm yea. F*ck You.

But what else would I expect from a fan of the most gutless team in the league. Just because you've numbed yourself to the lack of character of your organization, doesn't mean the rest of the NFL is ready to stoop to your level.

Honestly, I'd be embarrassed for my team if they had to resort to cheap tactics to win a game.

Don't be such a girly man.

You said "If KC normally takes better care of the field, I would still think it was cheap. I may still celebrate if we won, but I also cheer when we get bad ref calls that go our way. Just because I'm a homer and will turn a blind eye when it benefits my team, it doesn't automatically make it right."

You *may* cheer is BS ... you'd be drunk with excitement doing the tomahawk chop. You said you are a homer and will turn a blind eye. And then you say that I've numbed myself?

That says it all. You want to type all this "high and mighty" stuff about what the NFL should do and how the Patriots are bordering on cheating... yet, none of this would be said if the role was reveresed.

You can't have it both ways. Make a stance and stick with it.

jspchief
01-13-2005, 02:58 PM
That says it all. You want to type all this "high and mighty" stuff about what the NFL should do and how the Patriots are bordering on cheating... yet, none of this would be said if the role was reveresed.

You can't have it both ways. Make a stance and stick with it.

Bullsh*t. I don't want it both ways. I've said from the start that the NFL has already set a precedent, and therefore I think that is was a cheap move. Period. If my team gets busted cheating, you sure as hell won't see me defending them.

So what if I'd be happy if my team won? I can't control what the team does, I can only have my own opinions on the things they do. Just because the front office made some bush league decision to try and gain an edge, that doesn't mean I stop rooting for the players.

I still don't want them to turn into another Donkeys style organization that has a "win at all costs" mentality, throwing pride and honor aside.

And besides, you're working off of hypotheticals. So far My team hasn't stooped to those levels. Right now I have the luxury of being judgemental because I'm part of the innocent. You can't call me a hypocrite until my team actually does something like that.

Calcountry
01-13-2005, 03:09 PM
(...what's the word...)

Oh yeah! You are deflecting ... stick to the topic, this has nothing to do with my cheating Broncos.
ROFL O.k., then the answer is no.

Bearcat
01-13-2005, 03:15 PM

The first week of the season is a tough game because even though all the practice, camp, etc. has been done to get prepped, things still arent running as smoothly as say week 4 or week 8 or week 12.

Im not going to say it wasnt fair to put Indy at NE in week 1, but that game was a HUGE advantage for NE, much like KC playing at Den in week 1...

Im just saying is the outcome the same when everything is humming a few weeks later as opposed to week 1? I think maybe so...

Didn't think about that, with Week 1 being so long ago.... if that game's at the end of September, Indy could be in the dome this weekend. When it's all said and done, Indy still lost... but it was a pretty nice favor by the NFL.

OTOH, they would still have to win in Pittsburgh, and that whole part of the nation has had some pretty crappy weather.

beavis
01-13-2005, 03:22 PM
You said "If KC normally takes better care of the field, I would still think it was cheap.
This one is tough to argue with you, because our field always looks like crap.

Soupnazi
01-13-2005, 04:00 PM

ROFL

jettio
01-13-2005, 04:19 PM
I think the 1997 Chiefs-Broncos and last year's Colts-Pats game are evidence as to why this is a bad idea for the Pats.

The officials can determine the outcome of a game and if they think Indy is the better team and struggling only because the field is crappy by design, there will be a lot more penalties seen against the Pats.

I did not like the Chiefs-Bengals game last year were the field was unnecessarily muddy on a sunny day and many 49er playoff games at Candlestick were not as good a quality of football as you would like to see in the playoffs.

It is great to watch when the weather is happening during the game, but watching a game played in a field that is just poorly maintained is not so good.

Alec R
01-13-2005, 05:04 PM
Patriots turn to get the advantage after Manning whined to Tags about the defensive rules of the game.

jspchief
01-13-2005, 05:08 PM
Patriots turn to get the advantage after Manning whined to Tags about the defensive rules of the game.

Imagine that. Another Donkey fan that thinks rules are simply general guidelines.:rolleyes:

You do know that hose defensive rules that Manning was whining about are actual rules, don't you?

Amnorix
01-13-2005, 05:14 PM

I'm sorry, you missed my point -- it was week 1 for us too. Second, we beat them in Week 11 or whatever in 2003, AT INDY...

Sure, the games have been close, but we've beaten them like 5 times in a row...

Mile High Mania
01-13-2005, 05:30 PM
Bullsh*t. I don't want it both ways. I've said from the start that the NFL has already set a precedent, and therefore I think that is was a cheap move. Period. If my team gets busted cheating, you sure as hell won't see me defending them.

So what if I'd be happy if my team won? I can't control what the team does, I can only have my own opinions on the things they do. Just because the front office made some bush league decision to try and gain an edge, that doesn't mean I stop rooting for the players.

I still don't want them to turn into another Donkeys style organization that has a "win at all costs" mentality, throwing pride and honor aside.

And besides, you're working off of hypotheticals. So far My team hasn't stooped to those levels. Right now I have the luxury of being judgemental because I'm part of the innocent. You can't call me a hypocrite until my team actually does something like that.

So, I can't call you a hypocrite until KC gets back to the playoffs and potentially faces this scenario? Damn.

I thought I could call you that when you referenced being a homer and turning the other cheek if KC were to do such a silly thing. You can call my team cheaters all you like... it doesn't take away from what you said you would essentially live with if KC did the same. The fact they're not technically in that situation now doesn't matter.

You basically said you would accept it.. may not like it or be happy about it, but you would accept it.

2bikemike
01-13-2005, 05:47 PM
I'm sorry, you missed my point -- it was week 1 for us too. Second, we beat them in Week 11 or whatever in 2003, AT INDY...

Sure, the games have been close, but we've beaten them like 5 times in a row...

So how many times do you beat a team before you can hang the Owned term on them?

Amnorix
01-13-2005, 08:06 PM
So how many times do you beat a team before you can hang the Owned term on them?In the case of the Colts, it's definitely just once more...

ENDelt260
01-13-2005, 08:08 PM
In the case of the Colts, it's definitely just once more...
I agree.

Beat them again this weekend, and folks will start talking about Peyton and the Pats like they do Favre and the Metrodome, Marty & Elway in Mile High, etc. (Well, those that aren't already.)