PDA

View Full Version : The Ideal Chiefs Offseason

Nightfyre
01-13-2005, 12:20 PM
Sign:
E. Hartwell, Ravens (26 yo.)
G. Baxter, Ravens (26 yo.)
W. Witherspoon, Panthers (24 yo.)
This can be done with long term deals. Every one of these players is young and would be a good foundation to start rebuilding a defensive team around.
Draft the most solid DE you can find in the first.
Draft a CB in the second. The draft is really deep with them this year and we could get one to compete for the nickel job.
Draft a RG, LT, and FB.
Bring in a punter for christ's sake!

tomahawk kid
01-13-2005, 12:24 PM
Sign:
This can be done with long term deals. Every one of these players is young and would be a good foundation to start rebuilding a defensive team around.
Draft a CB in the second. The draft is really deep with them this year and we could get one to compete for the nickel job.
Draft a RG, LT, and FB.

I'd take it.

Kris Kringle
01-13-2005, 12:27 PM
Sign:
Draft a RG, LT, and FB.
Bring in a punter for christ's sake! Punters don't grow on trees!! :banghead:

ChiefsCountry
01-13-2005, 12:28 PM
Lawrence Taylor would be just what our defense needs. :thumb:

But yes I agree L T is a position we need to address.

Kris Kringle
01-13-2005, 12:29 PM
[QUOTE=Nightfyre]Sign:
QUOTE] Who are these guys? What position do they play? Baxter is a CB, right? Who is Witherspoon? Hartwell is a LB, right? I thought Baxter was just so-so? Am I thinking of the right / wrong guy?

ChiTown
01-13-2005, 12:33 PM
I'd be totally down with that. :thumb:

Nightfyre
01-13-2005, 12:33 PM
Who are these guys? What position do they play? Baxter is a CB, right? Who is Witherspoon? Hartwell is a LB, right? I thought Baxter was just so-so? Am I thinking of the right / wrong guy?
Baxter is a solid CB for the ravens. Hartwell plays alongside R Lewis at MLB in the 3-4. Witherspoon is the leading tackler of the Panthers defense. Both he and hartwell had 97 tackles last season. Baxter defensed 12 passes compared to lucas' 15 and he had 10 tackles more than lucas.

Tuckdaddy
01-13-2005, 12:46 PM
Yes, this signings would be most happening.

htismaqe
01-13-2005, 12:48 PM
FWIW, Witherspoon is not unrestricted so he'll likely cost draft picks...

Nightfyre
01-13-2005, 12:51 PM
Will Witherspoon UFA Panthers
http://www.theredzone.org/2005/freeagents/showposition.asp?Position=LB

htismaqe
01-13-2005, 12:53 PM
Will Witherspoon UFA Panthers
http://www.theredzone.org/2005/freeagents/showposition.asp?Position=LB

That list isn't completely accurate...

He's only been in the league 3 years so he can't be a UFA.

Nightfyre
01-13-2005, 12:54 PM
That list isn't completely accurate...

He's only been in the league 3 years so he can't be a UFA.
:hmmm: :hmmm:

htismaqe
01-13-2005, 12:56 PM
:hmmm: :hmmm:

Yeah, I posted this link a few days ago and was informed of some of the inaccuracies...

Nightfyre
01-13-2005, 12:56 PM
What kind of compensatory pick are we getting for Tait?

ROYC75
01-13-2005, 01:05 PM
Sign:
Draft a RG, Lawrence Taylor , and FB.

This would be good, it's a big improvement,but Baxter is not a #1 CB.

IMHO, We need another experenced CB to go along with Baxter, Lucas would do and draft Miller as a CBotF. Most rookie CB's don't click in the 1st year.

We need to move up in the 2nd round somehow to get a quality DE to strengthen the DL.

We need a good OLT in the draft in the 3rd round.

IMHO, we can be OK this next year with the recievers we have, we need to build this next year strickly on defense, draft and FA. ( lone exception OLT )

But this is just me .........

htismaqe
01-13-2005, 01:23 PM
What kind of compensatory pick are we getting for Tait?

Considering how much they paid him, we could realistically get a 3rd...

LiL stumppy
01-13-2005, 01:49 PM
We dont need a MLB,we need a CB,DE,OLB in that order

htismaqe
01-13-2005, 01:59 PM
We dont need a MLB,we need a CB,DE,OLB in that order

We need an OLB more than anything else on the team.

OLB, CB, DE, MLB in that order...

Kris Kringle
01-13-2005, 02:00 PM
Considering how much they paid him, we could realistically get a 3rd... Hasn't that already been determined?

brent102fire
01-13-2005, 02:17 PM
The Chiefs definately need atleast a MLB...I would also say that they need an OLB as well. That way, Woods and Wesley won't have to play safety and LB like they did last season. The Chiefs also need a #1 CB and a DE that could start opposite Allen. If the Chiefs could sign those 4 positions through FA/High Draft picks, I think they will have a top 10 Defense next year. The DL is solid with Dalton, Siavii, Sims and Browning.

Cormac
01-13-2005, 03:21 PM
Baxter is a solid CB for the ravens.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. Baxter is a bad CB on a very strong defensive team. He gets picked apart weekly and is very likely to be available to us, because, in all likelihood, the Ravens won't want to keep him. Can you imagine how bad he'd look on our defense....out on an island. I'll freak if we sign him, because somebody is going to overpay for him, and it had better not be us.

JMHO, of course ;)

Warrior5
01-13-2005, 04:45 PM
We need an OLB more than anything else on the team. OLB, CB, DE, MLB in that order...

htismaqe, got your take on CBs. Since you list OLB as #1 priority, how would you rank these:

Will Witherspoon 24 (CAR) - RFA
Julian Peterson 27 (SF) - tore achilles 10/04
Brian Simmons 29.7 (CIN)
Morlon Greenwood 26.6 (MIA)
Akin Ayodele 25.5 (JAX)
Scott Fujita 25.8 (KC)
Tommy Polley 27.1 (STL)
Brad Kassell 25 (TEN) - RFA
David Thornton 26 (IND)
Adalius Thomas 27 (BAL)
Edgerton Hartwell 26 (BAL)
Matt Stewart 25 (ATL)
Warrick Holdman 29 (CLE)
Chris Claiborne 26.6 (MIN)
Chris Claiborne 26 (MIN)
Jeremiah Trotter 28.1 (PHI)
Orlando Huff 26.6 (SEA)

ZootedGranny
01-13-2005, 04:49 PM
I've said it before, and I'll say it again. Baxter is a bad CB on a very strong defensive team. He gets picked apart weekly and is very likely to be available to us, because, in all likelihood, the Ravens won't want to keep him. Can you imagine how bad he'd look on our defense....out on an island. I'll freak if we sign him, because somebody is going to overpay for him, and it had better not be us.

JMHO, of course ;)

Was going to post nearly the same thing. A couple of Ravens fans I know want him out of Baltimore as fast as possible because he gets torched so much.

htismaqe
01-13-2005, 05:24 PM
htismaqe, got your take on CBs. Since you list OLB as #1 priority, how would you rank these:

Will Witherspoon 24 (CAR) - RFA
Julian Peterson 27 (SF) - tore achilles 10/04
Brian Simmons 29.7 (CIN)
Morlon Greenwood 26.6 (MIA)
Akin Ayodele 25.5 (JAX)
Scott Fujita 25.8 (KC)
Tommy Polley 27.1 (STL)
Brad Kassell 25 (TEN) - RFA
David Thornton 26 (IND)
Adalius Thomas 27 (BAL)
Edgerton Hartwell 26 (BAL)
Matt Stewart 25 (ATL)
Warrick Holdman 29 (CLE)
Chris Claiborne 26.6 (MIN)
Chris Claiborne 26 (MIN)
Jeremiah Trotter 28.1 (PHI)
Orlando Huff 26.6 (SEA)

Witherspoon is a RFA, so he's probably out of the question. Peterson might be franchised, so that takes him out.

Akin Ayodele is the best of that crop, but he might be pretty expensive. David Thornton, IMO, would be a great pickup for the Chiefs -- not a bank-breaker, but a solid player...

shaneo69
01-13-2005, 06:10 PM
Akin Ayodele is the best of that crop, but he might be pretty expensive. David Thornton, IMO, would be a great pickup for the Chiefs -- not a bank-breaker, but a solid player...

Unfortunately, neither Ayodele or Thornton are unrestricted. Both have only played 3 years, so they are restricted and would most likely require some form of compensation.

htismaqe
01-13-2005, 06:12 PM
Unfortunately, neither Ayodele or Thornton are unrestricted. Both have only played 3 years, so they are restricted and would most likely require some form of compensation.

You're right about Ayodele, I forgot.

I thought Thornton just finished his 4th?

htismaqe
01-13-2005, 06:14 PM

I think the answer is obvious...we need to look for OLB in the draft...

nychief
01-13-2005, 06:15 PM
I would take Tommy Polly.

shaneo69
01-13-2005, 06:16 PM
I thought Thornton just finished his 4th?

He was drafted in the 4th round of the '02 Draft. Here's an interesting college tidbit of his...

...as a senior, was named UNC team MVP over Julius Peppers and Ryan Sims, the second and sixth players taken in 2002 NFL Draft.

htismaqe
01-13-2005, 06:18 PM
He was drafted in the 4th round of the '02 Draft. Here's an interesting college tidbit of his...

...as a senior, was named UNC team MVP over Julius Peppers and Ryan Sims, the second and sixth players taken in 2002 NFL Draft.

Like I said, I think he's a player. I wish we had him.

shaneo69
01-13-2005, 06:22 PM
I think the answer is obvious...we need to look for OLB in the draft...

Some good news regarding that....GBN report is reporting today that Daryl Blackstock has changed his mind and is going to enter the draft. Don't know if that really helps us, though.

htismaqe
01-13-2005, 06:33 PM
Some good news regarding that....GBN report is reporting today that Daryl Blackstock has changed his mind and is going to enter the draft. Don't know if that really helps us, though.

I think the guy I want is Kevin Burnett, if we don't have any chance at Derrick Johnson...

Alphaman
01-13-2005, 07:33 PM
Sign:
Draft a RG, Lawrence Taylor , and FB.

I like the free agent additions. However, Witherspoon is a RFA, but we do need an OLB in FA.

Wallcrawler
01-14-2005, 01:25 AM
Gary Baxter is pretty shaky. Playing opposite Chris Mcalister gets a lot of passes thrown his way, and he gets beaten pretty regularly.

Id be happier with Seahawks CB Ken Lucas than with Gary Baxter.

As for drafting Defensive line with our first round pick, blaaaaah. NO. Absolutely not.

We've used our first picks the past 2 seasons on Defensive line, and it has yielded very little positive results. Jared Allen was our greatest pickup, and we got him in the 4th round. I have lost all faith in the KC scouting department as far as defensive linemen are concerned regarding high picks in the draft.

The Chiefs should take the best player available at either the Cornerback, or Linebacker position with their first round pick and see if they cant get their heads out of their collective asses and get us a decent player.

The Bad Guy
01-14-2005, 01:34 AM
I really disagree about OLB being our top priority over CB.

Corner has plagued this team since Hasty left. That needs to be the top priority and then an OLB.

The Bad Guy
01-14-2005, 01:35 AM
For corner, we need to get Fred Smoot. He's the best of the bunch and he has an attitude that could be really helpful to this defense.

Wallcrawler
01-14-2005, 01:40 AM
For corner, we need to get Fred Smoot. He's the best of the bunch and he has an attitude that could be really helpful to this defense.

Yeah, Id nearly forgotten about Smoot. I guess the determining factor is ultimately going to be which corner demands the most money, and how far Carl Peterson is really willing to go to improve the defense in this offseason.

You also have to consider the players themselves though. I cant think of too many guys who would want to join up with one of the worst defenses in the entire league without getting a bigtime paycheck for doing it.

But on the other hand, these guys know that KC has the offense to get the job done, and if they are really confident in their abilities, I would think that KC would be their first priority in teams to go to, since the only thing keeping the Chiefs out of the superbowl is the defense. If the players think they are good enough to help turn the defense around, then they are looking at a legitimate superbowl contender.

Just have to see what happens.

elvomito
01-14-2005, 01:42 AM
i remember after the rams lost their last superbowl i think it was, they drafted ALL defense... if they drafted a non-defense player help me out, i don't recall. they picked up archuleta and the others.

that is what the chiefs need to do. that would restore some confidence i have in the decision-making ability of the bigwigs

htismaqe
01-14-2005, 07:42 AM
I really disagree about OLB being our top priority over CB.

Corner has plagued this team since Hasty left. That needs to be the top priority and then an OLB.

I can't keep draft vs. free agent priorities straight... :banghead:

I would make OLB the #1 priority in the draft. I would make CB the #1 priority in FA.

htismaqe
01-14-2005, 07:44 AM

You know, I keep thinking he a RFA, but he was a RFA last year wasn't he? Wasn't this his 4th year in the league?

shaneo69
01-14-2005, 08:08 AM
You know, I keep thinking he a RFA, but he was a RFA last year wasn't he? Wasn't this his 4th year in the league?

Redskins Cornerback May Leave as Free Agent

By Jason La Canfora
Washington Post Staff Writer
Friday, December 31, 2004; Page D01

Washington Redskins starting cornerback Fred Smoot said yesterday his bruised kidney will prevent him from playing in Sunday's season finale, and he is worried that he may have played his final game for the team.

Smoot was knocked out of the game at Dallas last Sunday with back and kidney problems, and vomited on the sideline. As a potential free agent, he hopes that is not his final outing as a Redskin.

"My last game was a loss to Dallas and I might not be back," Smoot said. "That could have been my last game as a Redskin."

Smoot, drafted 45th overall by the Redskins in 2001, was optimistic about the early progress of contract talks with the team but negotiations have stalled over the last month, sources said. Smoot is believed to be seeking a deal in the neighborhood of the six-year, $30 million contract cornerback Shawn Springs signed with Washington last winter, and he regularly has spoken with Pro Bowl cornerback Champ Bailey, who could not agree with the Redskins on an extension last year and ultimately was traded to Denver for running back Clinton Portis in March.

"I want to be here bad, but it ain't about me wanting to be here," Smoot said. "It's them wanting me to be here. Like I was talking to Champ two or three weeks ago, and that's what he was saying. It ain't never really the player. . . . It's all about the front office and who they want to be here."

Smoot said he has a gut feeling that talks with the Redskins might not result in a new deal, and he has used Bailey as a resource in contending with free agency for the first time. When asked if he was as optimistic about staying in Washington as he was a few weeks ago, Smoot said, "I can't say that I am." He believed that if a deal was going to get done, it would have happened by the end of the season. The NFL free agency period begins in March.

Vinnie Cerrato, the Redskins' vice president of football operations, said that the team's offer to Smoot would make him one of the 10 highest-paid cornerbacks in the league.

Coach Joe Gibbs has talked highly of Smoot and the importance of keeping core players such as Smoot on the Redskins. But Washington could face a salary-cap squeeze. Although it is close to re-signing linebacker Antonio Pierce, it also is working on ways to retain highly-paid offensive lineman Chris Samuels and will look to improve by signing free agents in the offseason.

"We're going to make every effort we can to sign him," Gibbs said of Smoot. "We got going real hard on it in the middle of the year and then I think we kind of reached a point there where it was a stalemate, and we're going to do everything we can to sign him. . . . You go after it as hard as you can and hopefully you can get something done. But you never know with something like that."

Smoot said the pain from Sunday's game is still intense, although the bleeding in his kidney stopped. Last season Smoot suffered a severe sternum injury in Dallas. "I hate Texas Stadium, man," Smoot said. MRI testing showed no long-term problems.

htismaqe
01-14-2005, 08:13 AM
It would appear he is indeed unrestricted...if that's the case, he should be our priority...

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=1762430

KCTitus
01-14-2005, 08:15 AM
KC doesnt beat out Snyder for FA's...

htismaqe
01-14-2005, 08:19 AM
KC doesnt beat out Snyder for FA's...

That's true. But there's plenty of evidence to suggest that Washington will just let him walk.

shaneo69
01-14-2005, 08:25 AM
It would appear he is indeed unrestricted...if that's the case, he should be our priority...

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=1762430

Here's the part I found interesting about that link...

Cleveland Browns: Much-traveled defensive tackle Michael Myers, an unrestricted free agent who spent the second half of the 2003 season with the Browns, re-signed with the team, netting a two-year contract.

The former Dallas Cowboys part-time starter posted 23 tackles, three sacks and one pass defensed in seven appearances with the Browns last season. He was signed after being cut by the Cowboys following 5 seasons in Dallas.

My god, compare Michael Myers numbers to Ryan Sims numbers. How pathetic is that?

bricks
01-14-2005, 08:43 AM

JMHO, of course ;)

Yeah I agree. Baxter is not very good. I can't imagine why people would want us to sign him. We have keep our focus towards Smoot and Lucas.

bricks
01-14-2005, 08:45 AM
I'd like to see the Chiefs sign both, Lucas and Smoot. That would be something. Dreaming. It won't happen.

bricks
01-14-2005, 08:49 AM
Here's the part I found interesting about that link...

Cleveland Browns: Much-traveled defensive tackle Michael Myers, an unrestricted free agent who spent the second half of the 2003 season with the Browns, re-signed with the team, netting a two-year contract.

The former Dallas Cowboys part-time starter posted 23 tackles, three sacks and one pass defensed in seven appearances with the Browns last season. He was signed after being cut by the Cowboys following 5 seasons in Dallas.

My god, compare Michael Myers numbers to Ryan Sims numbers. How pathetic is that?

Just goes to show how much Sims sucks a**. And, I keep hearing the guys servicable :rolleyes: :shake: Truth is, he's a piece of sh*t, and a huge reason why our defense sucks so bad.

Wallcrawler
01-14-2005, 11:45 AM
Man. 30 million dollar contract for Smoot.......

Im not seeing him in a Chiefs jersey. Just a feeling. And if we do sign him to that amount, it probably wont leave much room left to sign anyone else.

Carl is known for his long term deals though, and re-structuring and pro-rating the big money, so maybe there is a small chance. But if Dan Snyder does want to keep him, theres no chance in hell of KC ever getting him.