PDA

View Full Version : Time Warner Cable in KC to get NFL Network!!!

Kris Kringle
01-13-2005, 01:26 PM
PBJPBJPBJ

I guess it's a good news and bad news situation. I was at the Time Warner cable office doing some business the other day and I asked about the NFL Network.

Good news: They said YES, they are in contract talks with the NFL Network.

Bad news: They had no idea at all when we would get it. They didn't sound like it would be really soon.

I sure hope we get it before the '05 season. :thumb:

journeyscarab
01-13-2005, 01:27 PM
Here's hoping you get it sooner than later. We love it!

BigMeatballDave
01-13-2005, 01:31 PM
Hmmm...what is this NFL Network you speak of?

BigMeatballDave
01-13-2005, 01:33 PM
I hear Time Warner is in talks with Sprint with some sort of cell phone deal...

Eleazar
01-13-2005, 01:33 PM
KICK ACE!!!!!!

PBJ PBJ PBJ PBJ PBJ PBJ PBJ PBJ

tomahawk kid
01-13-2005, 01:35 PM
Hmmm...what is this NFL Network you speak of?

Its a 24 Hour NFL Network.

They show NFL films, Game of the Week etc., but they also show about 18 hours of NFL "Sportscenter" show with Rich Eisen.

BigMeatballDave
01-13-2005, 01:37 PM

They show NFL films, Game of the Week etc., but they also show about 18 hours of NFL "Sportscenter" show with Rich Eisen.
ROFL I was being a smartass. I have Directv...

tomahawk kid
01-13-2005, 01:43 PM
ROFL I was being a smartass. I have Directv...

:sulk:

Kerberos
01-13-2005, 01:43 PM
PBJPBJPBJ

I guess it's a good news and bad news situation. I was at the Time Warner cable office doing some business the other day and I asked about the NFL Network.

Good news: They said YES, they are in contract talks with the NFL Network.

Bad news: They had no idea at all when we would get it. They didn't sound like it would be really soon.

I sure hope we get it before the '05 season. :thumb:

I live in north east KS and all we have is Cox cable system and they are not in any hurry to add the NFL network here ... THIS SUX

:banghead: :cuss: :banghead: :cuss:

:(

Cliff

BigRedChief
01-13-2005, 01:45 PM
They have been in talks ever since it launched.

Surprise. Its a money issue. Cable says they can't afford it. Same thing they said about MTV, ESPN and just about every single station that has launched. It's SOP. We cant afford it :deevee: Give it to us for free. You can then sell ads to make your money.

Chief Henry
01-13-2005, 01:46 PM
Its not that much of a network if you ask me.
They show two shows over and over and over
and over and over and over and over and over
again and again and again.

The only thing thats cool about it is that they will
show old NFL films documentaries.

journeyscarab
01-13-2005, 01:53 PM

It would help if they would add to their line up. I'm sure it will get better as time goes on. MTV had 150 videos when they first started and it was a bit repetitive, then again maybe thats not a good comparison. MTV sucks now.

KCTitus
01-13-2005, 01:55 PM
Comcast, here, already has it and Ive since tired of watching the same thing over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over....they have about 3 shows that they play during the time Im able to watch TV and they suck.

*edit* didnt see Chief Henry's post, but you get the idea....NFL Network = Groundhog day.

Deberg_1990
01-13-2005, 02:13 PM
Comcast, here, already has it and Ive since tired of watching the same thing over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over....they have about 3 shows that they play during the time Im able to watch TV and they suck.

*edit* didnt see Chief Henry's post, but you get the idea....NFL Network = Groundhog day.

Your right....but every "new" cable network is the same way. They show the same shows over and over andover again when they intially start up. I remember when Sc-Fi channel started like 12 years ago and all they ever showed was Buck Rodgers and Battlestar Galactica Over and over..

IMO NFL Network is not bad for only being about a 1 and a half old.

KCTitus
01-13-2005, 02:30 PM
Your right....but every "new" cable network is the same way. They show the same shows over and over andover again when they intially start up. I remember when Sc-Fi channel started like 12 years ago and all they ever showed was Buck Rodgers and Battlestar Galactica Over and over..

IMO NFL Network is not bad for only being about a 1 and a half old.

True, but since this IS the NFL network, there should be no excuse for replaying the 'classic' of the weekend from the previous weekend, especially if the game wasnt shown nationally and show that in primetime. It is their product, there shouldnt be any licensing issues -- and they dont let ESPN Classic show games, this would be gold.

Also, show old superbowls around superbowl time...let fans request classic matchup games to watch (like Montana v. Elway 1994 MNF game), I'd love to watch that again.

and a show that really does what Edge NFL matchup does, but in even more detail.

Instead, it's basically Rod Woodson, some fat lineman guy and Eisen rehasing everything we've discussed here.

Valiant
01-13-2005, 02:59 PM
They have been in talks ever since it launched.

Surprise. Its a money issue. Cable says they can't afford it. Same thing they said about MTV, ESPN and just about every single station that has launched. It's SOP. We cant afford it :deevee: Give it to us for free. You can then sell ads to make your money.

time warner owns a shrare of disney espn i believe.. funny that disney owns espn..

BigRedChief
01-13-2005, 03:44 PM
time warner owns a shrare of disney espn i believe.. funny that disney owns espn..

When MTV and ESPN were launched there was no Time Warner. My point was that they cry that we are broke every time a channel is launched that the public really wants just so to get a better financial deal for themselfs.

Saulbadguy
01-13-2005, 05:19 PM
This means Cox will likely get it in 2035.

HC_Chief
01-13-2005, 06:22 PM
Time Warner Cable in KC to get NFL Network!!!
<h1>SWEEEEEEEET</h1>
:thumb:

2bikemike
01-13-2005, 07:04 PM
Those bastards.

Let's say I'm a cable company. I presently pay X dollars to all the various networks to carry their product. My subscribers pay me Y every month for service.

Y - X = my profit.

Now, new channel appears. They want me to pay Z every month to carry their programming.

If I divide Z up by the number of subscribers, and raise the monthly rate Y by that amount, passing along the new cost... you bitch.

If I don't carry the new channel... you bitch.

If I drop an existing channel to offset the cost... you bitch.

The only thing that will make you happy is if Y doesn't change, my X increases, and my profits take a hit.

Now, maybe one channel won't break the bank... and the increase in subscribers that channel may bring (har, har) could offset the cost. But, as more and more new channels appear, the growth in X is going to become significant.

Either I can't add all the channels you want, or the subscriber cost is going to have increase, or I'm not going to make any money.

Personally, I understand that cable companies, much like every other business on the planet, are in it for profit. Sure, I'd like it if my cable or satellite company just added every new channel that popped up, and my monthly subscription cost didn't change... but, I know that the cable company isn't a charity, so that ain't gonna happen.

So, in the meantime, I'll understand that it takes time to negotiate with the networks to maximize their profit, while still delivering the best product possible to the consumer.

Luckily for us, there's dish and DirecTV. Since cable is competing with them (and vice versa), it behooves all cable and satellite companies to get these negotiations done quickly so as not to lose customers. You don't make ANY money if you don't have any customers.

Great explanation! Your a pretty smart fellar aren't you?

Skip Towne
01-13-2005, 07:28 PM
Don't listen to Endelt, he is a cable company stooge. Directv added the NFL Network at its' inception and added it to the basic package. No charge to the subscriber if you will. No "we can't afford it", "we are in negotiations", "our customers don't want it" and on and on. They just added it for free. Cable is traditionally last getting new stuff. Both satellite companies have been 100% digital since 1996. Cable still isn't.

Thig Lyfe
01-13-2005, 07:29 PM

I'm the guy who'll watch the the same sportscenter 3 or 4 times in the morning.

I'm looking forward to it.

Deberg_1990
01-13-2005, 07:38 PM
Don't listen to Endelt, he is a cable company stooge. Directv added the NFL Network at its' inception and added it to the basic package. No charge to the subscriber if you will. No "we can't afford it", "we are in negotiations", "our customers don't want it" and on and on. They just added it for free. Cable is traditionally last getting new stuff. Both satellite companies have been 100% digital since 1996. Cable still isn't.

Right on Brother!!

IM an admitted Direct TV pimp. Time Warner blows.

Skip Towne
01-13-2005, 08:41 PM
It's a lot easier to justify paying for the NFL Network when you're already receiving a buttload of cash from the NFL for Sunday Ticket.

DirecTV has to do the same profit analysis when adding a new channel as a cable company. My post wasn't a defense of cable companies vs. DirecTV... it was a statement of cable companies, DirecTV, car mechanics, restaurants, barbers, or any other business making decisions to maximize their profit.

Those evil capitalist bastards.
Excuse me, I'm old. I'm having trouble with your first paragraph. Who is receiving a buttload of cash from the NFL for Sunday Ticket?

Skip Towne
01-13-2005, 08:56 PM
Der, I'm a retard.

Let's just pretend that never happened, eh? I wasn't thinking straight.

Anyway, the point I was trying to make was that DirecTv has been in bed w/ the NFL for some time. MOF, wasn't being the first to carry the NFL Network part of their most recent Sunday Ticket deal? Or, am I remembering wrong?

Anyway, like I said, the point of my post wasn't to defend cable TV, it was to defend businesses making decisions to maximize their profits. You know calling me a CATV schill is inaccurate... perhaps you recall me making a similar, tho much less verbose, defense of DirecTV when stooges on here were bitching because they couldn't get Sunday Ticket w/out programming.

I understand the consumer expecting good customer service... but, one has to be reasonable. You can't expect a business to just give their services away.
Pretend what happened? I understand fully what you were saying about businesses needing to weigh options when making decisions. But I was showing that it was not much of a decision for Directv. They just got it and inserted into the basic package for free with little fanfare. But it's a big deal to cable who control 90% of the pay TV market. Cable simply chooses to play a constant and continual game of catch up. And they do it because they can.

Skip Towne
01-13-2005, 09:07 PM
Indeed. They play off of fear largely, I think.

I recall someone on here lives in a city where two of the major cable companies have a presence, and they can get the kind of service I get out of Cox Phoenix for much less money.

Now, why can competition between two cable companies drive prices down, but not between cable and DirecTV? Well, with the other cable company you can't scare your customers into thinking the dish is gonna be a big hassle, extra expense, unreliable in questionable weather, etc. W/ two cable companies, the other guy's stuff works just like yours... you have to compete strictly with programming and price.
Makes sense to me. We do act as a check on cable companies to some degree but we only have 10% of the market and are more of a pain rather than life threatening like another cable company would be. For the reasons you stated.

Deberg_1990
01-13-2005, 09:12 PM
Makes sense to me. We do act as a check on cable companies to some degree but we only have 10% of the market and are more of a pain rather than life threatening like another cable company would be. For the reasons you stated.

I just noticed that Direct Tv just added a couple more new channels a few days ago. The Military Channel and another channel similiar to BET. Pretty cool stuff.

Valiant
01-14-2005, 12:51 AM
When MTV and ESPN were launched there was no Time Warner. My point was that they cry that we are broke every time a channel is launched that the public really wants just so to get a better financial deal for themselfs.

Time warner owned american cablevision.. time warner has been around for a while..

elvomito
01-14-2005, 01:03 AM
juft fyi, timewarner told me they were in contract talks when i asked them during preseason.

BigMeatballDave
01-14-2005, 01:33 AM
They repeat too much. I don't watch it as much as I did a year ago. There are soooooo many classic games out there that they could be showing...

Red Dawg
01-14-2005, 09:31 AM

Dish network get that damn channel?

Skip Towne
01-14-2005, 09:36 AM
Dish network get that damn channel?
Call and ask them. 888 233 3474