PDA

View Full Version : Calling all techies

yunghungwell
01-13-2005, 12:30 PM
Here is my problem:

I have a computer at work that runs an analytical instrument for chemical analysis, an HPLC for those in the know. The problem that I have with this computer is that sometimes it just craps and if it is in the middle of an analytical session that can cost me a lot of time. What happens is that the computer goes blue screen and says something about a system exception and that the computer is performing a physical memory dump.

I initially thought that this problem was due to an incompatibility between the OS (Windows 2000 SP4) and the software that runs the instrument. So, I purchased the newer version of the software for the instrument because it was stated to be compatible with SP4.

This morning I installed the new software and proceeded to "strip and go naked". What I mean is that I began listening to an audio stream of KCMQ. I have been avoiding such things on this machine because the restarts seem to almost always happen when I am running the analytical software and I do something memory intensive on the internet, although it has happened to me when I received email in my inbox. I thought that things should be fixed and no more shutty downy, but low and behold Mr. Computer craps his pants again.

I just thought that some of you that work with computers all the time would have some sound advise. A google search on "physical memory dump" didn't help when I did it a few months ago.

Thank you to anyone who can help.

Phobia
01-13-2005, 12:32 PM
Hardware specs?

90% of your advice, based upon what you've shared thus far, is going to be "throw more memory at it". That's not a bad idea.

But, don't listen to anything I say about 'puters. I'm not in the field anymore.

Iowanian
01-13-2005, 12:33 PM
I don't know whats wrong, but I know how I dealt with the same problem....forced a new machine

crossbow
01-13-2005, 12:48 PM
Could be a driver that got clobbered, especialy if it happens when you are on the internet (which has a lot of multimedia content). What brand of video card is it using. I had a mountain of trouble getting my ATI drivers to work. Had to manualy strip them from the registry so that I could get a fresh install. Even then I didn't use ATI's drivers, I let microsoft "plug and play" what it wanted and that fixed mine.

Better yet, just reinstall Windows.

AeroSquid
01-13-2005, 12:49 PM
Check your ram. Run memtest on it: http://www.memtest86.com/
Also keep a close eye on your temps. You could be overheating (when was the last time you blew all the dust out of your case and fans?) Do you have a good name brand power supply? If not them get one. If your problem persists then try switching out the PSU.

KCTitus
01-13-2005, 12:51 PM
To fix chronic blue screens, you have two choices.

Re-format and rebuild the machine -or- spend the next 6 months researching possible causes, send the exception report to MS, and uninstall/reinstall drivers and maybe it will be fixed.

What is the hardware specs?

yunghungwell
01-13-2005, 01:08 PM
Here are some of the specs

yunghungwell
01-13-2005, 01:13 PM
Another thing of interest is that I run a different analytical instrument, a GC, on a different but identical (Hardware wise) machine. The difference in software is that the machine running the GC has the SP2. I can listen to streaming audio all day long on it.

KCTitus
01-13-2005, 01:45 PM
Another thing of interest is that I run a different analytical instrument, a GC, on a different but identical (Hardware wise) machine. The difference in software is that the machine running the GC has the SP2. I can listen to streaming audio all day long on it.

I think you may have found your solution...

yunghungwell
01-13-2005, 01:52 PM
yeah, but I can't revert to SP2...can I? I mean short of rebuilding the whole damn thing.

KCTitus
01-13-2005, 01:56 PM
yeah, but I can't revert to SP2...can I? I mean short of rebuilding the whole damn thing.

nope, once you do a SP, there's no putting the sh!t back in the horse...

SP's have a way of adversely affecting a machine that was working without issue previously.

OldTownChief
01-13-2005, 02:05 PM

SP2 is on the good machine? If so try downloading SP2 to the bad machine. If SP2 is on the bad machine you CAN un-install it.

yunghungwell
01-13-2005, 02:14 PM
SP2=GOOD

SP4=BAD

Sensitive info on both machines. I don't want to screw it up, and I can't afford much down time. We make product every day. All product must be tested before shipping. On and on.

Maybe I have to do as I have the last year or so. Be careful what do on the internet, CP excluded, and tiptoe along with my fingers crossed.

morphius
01-13-2005, 02:16 PM
SP2=GOOD

SP4=BAD

Sensitive info on both machines. I don't want to screw it up, and I can't afford much down time. We make product every day. All product must be tested before shipping. On and on.

Maybe I have to do as I have the last year or so. Be careful what do on the internet, CP excluded, and tiptoe along with my fingers crossed.
I think normally involves a rebuild to fix goofy issues like what you are seeing. Have you updated some of the other patches on the system to see if it might help?

Or you could just buy some wireless headphones and hook it up to the back of the SP2 machine for your streaming audio :D

KCTitus
01-13-2005, 02:18 PM
SP2 is on the good machine? If so try downloading SP2 to the bad machine. If SP2 is on the bad machine you CAN un-install it.

Well, yes, you CAN...you can also probably survive 1000 papercuts on the scrote, but do you really want to attempt it?

morphius
01-13-2005, 02:19 PM
Well, yes, you CAN...you can also probably survive 1000 papercuts on the scrote, but do you really want to attempt it?
Well, he is a Chiefs fan...

OldTownChief
01-13-2005, 02:23 PM

On four of our machines we updated to SP2 all identical machines running on the same network. One of them had all sorts of weird problems (couldn't print, scan, etc...)but the others were fine. Rather than do a shatload of troubleshooting on the bad one I did a system restore and all was fine after that.

yunghungwell
01-13-2005, 02:30 PM
I am by myself in the lab and can listen to radio on the speakers of the SP2 machine no problem. So that is not really a big issue, but the shutting down in the middle of an analysis is usually the type of thing that causes many, many cuss words to come out of my mouth. Especially when it happens at 4pm on Friday afternoon.

I will continue thinking about my options. If I decide to proceed with some of the advice in this thread I will probably be pm-ing some of you.

Thanks,

YHW

KCTitus
On four of our machines we updated to SP2 all identical machines running on the same network. One of them had all sorts of weird problems (couldn't print, scan, etc...)but the others were fine. Rather than do a shatload of troubleshooting on the bad one I did a system restore and all was fine after that.

Congrats, that's akin to winning the lottery...

He's trying to go from SP4 to SP2, I wouldnt try reverting 2 SP's back via Uninstall, but if he choses too, so be it.

morphius
Well, the problem is he is already SP4 on it, so reinstalling SP2 could be a very painful expierence.

OldTownChief
01-13-2005, 02:37 PM
Congrats, that's akin to winning the lottery...

He's trying to go from SP4 to SP2, I wouldnt try reverting 2 SP's back via Uninstall, but if he choses too, so be it.

Oh Okay!! Before you would recomend trying that you would recomend doing a "Re-format and rebuild the machine"

It just never ceases to amaze me how fast people want to "Re-format" like last nights thread where someone lost their password.

go bowe
01-13-2005, 02:37 PM
Well, yes, you CAN...you can also probably survive 1000 papercuts on the scrote, but do you really want to attempt it?ow, that hurts to even think about... :deevee: :deevee: :deevee:

go bowe
01-13-2005, 02:40 PM
i'm surprised noone has told him to get more memory...

he only has about half a gig, if i read his attachment correctly...

what with the memory intensive analytical software, more memory couldn't hurt...

who knows, it might even speed up his processing time for the analyses that he runs...

(of course, i have no freaking idea what i'm talking about... :D )

Bob Dole
01-13-2005, 02:43 PM
i'm surprised noone has told him to get more memory...

It's good to see that Bob Dole isn't alone in considering Phobia "nobody."

warpaint99
01-13-2005, 02:59 PM
Just google and solve it yourself. If you run chemistry software you must some high intelligence.

Keep googling physical memory dump and you will see others with the same problems with crappy windows software.

This website says that SCREEN DUMP is not about needing more memory. Something is ILL with your system.
http://www.experts-exchange.com/Operating_Systems/Q_20648532.html
http://www.techspot.com/vb/topic12967.html

Thanks to BILL GATES $$$ , great guy.

Iowanian
01-13-2005, 03:06 PM
At least you're not being a dickhead about it warpaint.....

warpaint99
01-13-2005, 03:11 PM
At least you're not being a dickhead about it warpaint.....

iowanian ? sounds familiar. using another alias ?

go bowe
01-13-2005, 03:29 PM
It's good to see that Bob Dole isn't alone in considering Phobia "nobody."ROFL ROFL ROFL

combat veterans don't count, they're in a class of their own... :D :D :D

KC Jones
01-13-2005, 03:36 PM
Just google and solve it yourself. If you run chemistry software you must some high intelligence.

Keep googling physical memory dump and you will see others with the same problems with crappy windows software.

This website says that SCREEN DUMP is not about needing more memory. Something is ILL with your system.
http://www.experts-exchange.com/Operating_Systems/Q_20648532.html
http://www.techspot.com/vb/topic12967.html

Thanks to BILL GATES $$$ , great guy.

I'm no big microsoft fan but it's not that hard to get a windows box to be very stable. Quite frankly it's much more likely that the problem is hardware related.

Aerosquid had it IMO - check the memory. If the memory is okay, check the power supply (swap it with another if you have some to spare or just buy a new one). A misbehaving power supply can cause all sorts of mischief and manifest the problems in some really bizarre ways. Heat may also be a big issue - do you have any way of monitoring the tempature of the CPU?

warpaint99
01-13-2005, 03:52 PM
I am pretty sure it's not a memory problem or a powersupply problem

This is a MICROSOFT , Software problem or incompatibility.

Just google and you can see others have the same problems.

Seems like a good site on W2000. and dumps
http://labmice.techtarget.com/troubleshooting/memorydumps.htm

http://search.microsoft.com/search/results.aspx?st=b&na=88&View=en-us&qu=physical+memory+dump

And Bill Gates OS does suck .

yunghungwell
01-28-2005, 09:06 AM
I am still thinking about this problem. I had a casual conversation with a techie and he told me to add some memory. I though about that, checked the required memory for the analytical software (256MB), and double checked the memory of my system (523MB, on the system properties window). So, I didn't think too much more about it until this morning. I was performing a virus scan with AVG and I clicked on information portion of the window, which showed my system information. Right now it says that I have 511MB of system memory and 293MB of free memory, but at the time the scan was running I had only 233MB of free memory. Does this mean that when I have multiple programs there is not enough free memory?

Lzen
01-28-2005, 03:11 PM
I am still thinking about this problem. I had a casual conversation with a techie and he told me to add some memory. I though about that, checked the required memory for the analytical software (256MB), and double checked the memory of my system (523MB, on the system properties window). So, I didn't think too much more about it until this morning. I was performing a virus scan with AVG and I clicked on information portion of the window, which showed my system information. Right now it says that I have 511MB of system memory and 293MB of free memory, but at the time the scan was running I had only 233MB of free memory. Does this mean that when I have multiple programs there is not enough free memory?

So, you're saying the scan was taking up almost 300MB of memory? Must be some serious software. Memory isn't that expensive and it wouldn't hurt to add some.