PDA

View Full Version : FFL Playoff League - opinions please!

ct
01-14-2005, 07:19 AM
In my FFL Playoff League, we get 1 waiver per week. I've narrowed mine down to James or Burress. Here's what I have left:

QB Manning
RB Westbrook
RB dead spot
WR dead spot
WR Holt
FLEX(RB/WR/TE) dead spot
K Reed
D dead spot

As you can see didn't do so well last week. One of those dead spots I planned for by using Shawn Alexander and Torry Holt from the same game. The other 3 were upsets of Green Bay and San Diego.

So, the 3 teams I'm most worried about the rest of the way, 2 have Corey Dillon, and 1 each have James, Harrison, Burress, plus all have the Pittsburgh defense. I will be down 3 players to 2 teams, and 1 player to the other team, and any commonalities I just cancelled out(we all have Manning for instance). What I'm looking at is this:

TeamA has Dillon, Burress, Pitt D above what I have, plus the 1 waiver(will have 8 total, FULL roster). I have a 31 point lead currently.
TeamB has Dillon, Harrison, Pitt D above what I have, plus the 1 waiver(will have 8 total, FULL roster). I have a 33 point lead currently.
TEamC has James, Pitt D above what I have, plus the 1 waiver(will have 6 total). I am down by 5 points to the team, but they will only have 1 more player than I do.

Top 4 teams get some cast, with 4th place breaking even. I just won the regular season title, so I'm not too concerned with breaking even, I want to roll the dice!

I feel my best chance is to shoot for the 2 teams with a full roster, both of them have Dillon. So if I DO NOT go with Dillon, or any Pats on my roster at all, and roll the dice that Indy beats the Pats, then I'm 1 up on both of them. Plus if I can find a player who will outscore Dillon, then I can minimize a little what I'll lose to the other 2 dead roster spots I'll have compared to them.

Given that game plan, do I pick up an Indy player such as James or take a swing at which WR/TE will have a big game, or take the big play potential of Burress(see below for scoring system notes)?

This is a performance scoring system, with tiered yardage around 1 pt/10 yds rush/rec, and 1 pt/25 yrs passing. Plus there are bonus' for rushing/receiving avg, BIG bonuses, that's where the RB/WR make thier money, so to speak.

I'm leaning towards Burress this week, then perhaps James/Harrison next week if Indy does win, so I'm garanteed 2 players advancing from the AFC to the Super Bowl.

Sorry to run on, hope this makes sense. Any opinions out there?

ct
01-14-2005, 07:56 AM
Is FFL dead for everyone here?

Mile High Mania
01-14-2005, 08:07 AM
I was confused by what you're asking...

The dead spots - what are your options? Are you asking us for opinions on filling the dead spots? You lost me with the remarks about the teams you are chasing.

ct
01-14-2005, 08:16 AM
My team: currently 3rd, 5 points behind leader. Forget about the 2nd place team, by the way, they only have 2 players still alive, they are done.

QB Manning
RB Westbrook
RB Alexander - dead
WR Driver - dead
WR Holt
Flex Tomlinson - dead
K Reed
D San Diego - dead, not sure what I was thinkin...

TeamA: 31 point lead over this team

QB Manning
RB Tomlinson - dead
RB Westbrook
WR Burress
WR Holt
Flex Dillon
K Akers
D Pittsburgh

TeamB: 33 point lead over this team

QB Manning
RB Dillon
RB Westbrook
WR Harrison
WR Holt
Flex Green - dead
K Akers
D Pittsburgh

TeamC: current leader, I'm 5 points behind this team

QB Manning
RB Tomlinson - dead
RB Green - dead
WR Walker - dead
WR Holt
Flex James
K Akers
D Pittsburgh

You get 1 waiver per week, any other of your players who have lost are dead spots, you can't fill em.

Mile High Mania
01-14-2005, 08:47 AM
Ok, so your team is:

QB Manning
RB Westbrook
RB Alexander - dead
WR Driver - dead
WR Holt
Flex Tomlinson - dead
K Reed

You can't do anything about the dead spots, so you have...

QB Manning
RB Westbrook
WR Holt
K Reed

And, you can if you like change 1 of the above...

I would likely change Westbrook to Dillon. Westbrook will be a heavy focus, but the Vikings could win this week.

If the field at NE leans towards a ground game - which it will with the mud - Dillon could do very well.

You want to pick players that you think will be in the SB... your K is fine. Manning is ok, although I would be tempted to go with Culpepper.

If you had to change just 1 player this week ... it might be Westbrook, the Eagles' defense could have a tough day with the Vikes if they carry the momentum over from last week. Philly has no receivers that are scary and if the Vikes clamp down on Westbrook, that could screw you.

ct
01-14-2005, 08:54 AM
I can do any waiver I please, including dropping a dead player. So I'm not going to drop an active player and carry a zero. Only caveat is a max of 2 players on any given NFL team, which for me right now doesn't matter, as I only have 1 for any team.

My thinking on not aquiring Dillon is to shoot for the win in this league. Since both of the fully loaded teams (Team A and B with full rosters) both have Dillon, I'm going to hope (beyond hope) he doesn't score well and the Pats lose, thereby hurting thier roster for later and helping mine at the same time.

Mile High Mania
01-14-2005, 08:58 AM
I can do any waiver I please, including dropping a dead player. So I'm not going to drop an active player and carry a zero. Only caveat is a max of 2 players on any given NFL team, which for me right now doesn't matter, as I only have 1 for any team.

My thinking on not aquiring Dillon is to shoot for the win in this league. Since both of the fully loaded teams (Team A and B with full rosters) both have Dillon, I'm going to hope (beyond hope) he doesn't score well and the Pats lose, thereby hurting thier roster for later and helping mine at the same time.

I have tired head ... ok.

QB Manning
RB Westbrook
RB Alexander - dead
WR Driver - dead
WR Holt
Flex Tomlinson - dead
K Reed

Drop your dead spot with Alexander and pick up Dillon.

I'd also be tempted to drop the dead spot with Driver and pick up Burleson.

Mile High Mania
01-14-2005, 09:06 AM

If that's the case... pick up Edge.

He's a great threat this weekend even at NE and is often a target for Peyton (double score for you, but also too many eggs in 1 basket).

Or, drop the dead spot with Driver and pick up:

Wayne or Harrison, then Burleson. That would be the order I would go.

ct
01-14-2005, 09:14 AM
I'm not as sold on the Vikes as you, they may go off again, but are just as likely to dissappear.

Dillon is the safer move, to at least match what these other teams will get from him. But I'm not in the mood to play it safe, would rather roll the dice with a Colt or Steeler. My decision was James, Burress or Harrison/Wayne.

Mile High Mania
01-14-2005, 09:16 AM
I'm not as sold on the Vikes as you, they may go off again, but are just as likely to dissappear.

Dillon is the safer move, to at least match what these other teams will get from him. But I'm not in the mood to play it safe, would rather roll the dice with a Colt or Steeler. My decision was James, Burress or Harrison/Wayne.

Then I would go for broke (and the kill) start Wayne.

ct
01-14-2005, 09:18 AM
If that's the case... pick up Edge.

He's a great threat this weekend even at NE and is often a target for Peyton (double score for you, but also too many eggs in 1 basket).

Or, drop the dead spot with Driver and pick up:

Wayne or Harrison, then Burleson. That would be the order I would go.

Sorry, didn't see this. Thanks for the input. I was leaning towards Burress, because I'm pretty confident PIT will advance, and Plaxico's big play potential scores big in our league. This would also not kill me if Indy lost. But I'm leaning back towards Edge, then if Indy won, I'd be set to p/up Burress next week vs. Indy. Of course if Indy loses to NE, I come up craps!!

Mile High Mania
01-14-2005, 09:19 AM
The Steelers will likely be conservative and POUND the ball, relying on the defense to keep the scoring low for NY. If I heard correctly, NY has never won at PITT.

So, I wouldn't expect a lot of passing from Big Ben.

Go for the kill shot and roll the dice with Wayne against a depleted secondary. Sure, the game should be sloppy, but if they're in the red zone - they are passing.

NE has issues at secondary and the best available guy will still take Harrison, leaving Wayne free to dominate.

Mile High Mania
01-14-2005, 09:30 AM
We didn't do any NFL Playoff info for our site this year (we will next year), but if I were to rank the top players per position this week...

QB
Culpepper
Bulger
Manning
Brady
McNabb
Vick
Roethlisberger
Pennington

RB
Dillon
Edge
Dunn (scared of the TJ/Vick threat though)
Westbrook - great dual threat
Bennett (presence of Onterrio is concerning)
Martin
Bettis/Staley - scary unknown
Faulk/Jackson - same deal

WR
Holt
Wayne
Burleson
Burress
Moss
Harrison
Bruce
Stokely
Branch
Givens
No Jets or Falcons interest me as playoff starters

TE
Crumpler
Clark
Pollard
Wiggins
LJ Smith
Others don't interest me

Kickers and Defense are a crapshoot... and all still playing are great starts, although I would ranking MIN K last.

ct
01-14-2005, 09:43 AM
Kickers and Defense are a crapshoot... although I would ranking MIN K last.

We definitely agree on this point!!