PDA

View Full Version : My Wireless Home Network

Lzen
01-14-2005, 11:58 AM
If you saw my thread a week or so ago, you know I was having problems with my D-Link DI 604 router. Mainly, I was having problems with my Playstation 2 when I tried to host games online. Couldn't host most of the time nor could I connect to other users a lot of times. Needless to say, D-Link's customer support couldn't help. I knew I was in trouble when I knew more about what is a DMZ than the tech. :banghead:

So anyhoo, I decided to upgrade to a new router. Despite the wonderful offer from Phil for his router, I decided to buy a new wireless router. Thought I'd share in case anyone is looking to buy a wireless router and didn't want to spend a ton of $$$. I bought this Xterasys wireless router from New Egg (www.newegg.com) .

Wireless router (http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=33-147-006&depa=5)

And this Xterasys USB adaptor. (for those that are new to wireless - like I was - this is the device you plug into your computer that communicates [wirelessly - duh :p ] with the router. You don't have to buy a USB adaptor. You could buy a PCI card Wireless LAN adaptor. I just went with USB because all my PCI slots are taken.)

USB Adaptor (http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=33-147-111&depa=5)

This took me all of about 15-20 minutes to setup. That includes hooking up wires, installing on my wall, and setup on the computer. So far, everything works great. :thumb:

All this cost me $60 after shipping. Took about 6 days to get here.

Saulbadguy
01-14-2005, 12:03 PM
Not bad. I was never a fan of USB network adapters. It seems to me you are limiting throughput with it. Although, I dunno. I may be wrong.

BTW, if you are ever on I-470 and have a wireless sniffer you can pick up my network from the highway. Pretty neat, huh?

Phobia
01-14-2005, 12:03 PM
If you had boobies, I'd have given it to you free.

Angel is picking it up sometime this weekend.

Cochise
01-14-2005, 12:05 PM
Cool. I have a wireless router (Blitzz) that I have had good luck with. It works great with my work laptop, which is wireless (centrino, built in wireless i mean)

The only problem is that the wireless PCI card I bought for my PC makes the machine not boot. It's the wierdest thing. I installed all the software like it said, before installing the card, and I tried doing it the other way around too. Same problem. I tried downloading the latest drivers. I even tried blasting the machine and reloading windows and it still happens. That to me screams some kind of hardware incompatibility, or that it has a problem with the OS. But WTF would they put out a wireless card that chokes on Windows XP?

I dont know what the hell it could be, I just gave up. Of course I lost the receipt already, and it was from Best Buy anyway where you need a letter from the president to return something.

Lzen
01-14-2005, 12:05 PM
Not bad. I was never a fan of USB network adapters. It seems to me you are limiting throughput with it. Although, I dunno. I may be wrong.

BTW, if you are ever on I-470 and have a wireless sniffer you can pick up my network from the highway. Pretty neat, huh?

Well, my modem is upstairs next to my PC. I plan to use the wireless for the kids when we buy them a new computer soon. My PC will be wired.

Saulbadguy
01-14-2005, 12:06 PM
Cool. I have a wireless router (Blitzz) that I have had good luck with. It works great with my work laptop, which is wireless (centrino, built in wireless i mean)

The only problem is that the wireless PCI card I bought for my PC makes the machine not boot. It's the wierdest thing. I installed all the software like it said, before installing the card, and I tried doing it the other way around too. Same problem. I tried downloading the latest drivers. I even tried blasting the machine and reloading windows and it still happens. That to me screams some kind of hardware incompatibility, or that it has a problem with the OS. But WTF would they put out a wireless card that chokes on Windows XP?

I dont know what the hell it could be, I just gave up. Of course I lost the receipt already, and it was from Best Buy anyway where you need a letter from the president to return something.
Not boot? At what point does it stop the boot process?

Mile High Mania
01-14-2005, 12:07 PM

:hmmm: Maybe it's an ID10T error...

Cochise
01-14-2005, 12:09 PM
Not boot? At what point does it stop the boot process?

It's wierd. Sometimes it dies at the Windows XP screen that hides the POST and all the following crap, and sometimes it gets to the desktop but the taskbar never appears.

Those two scenarios comprised probably 80% of the boots the afternoon I was working on it. Once in a while, you could get it up to the desktop and have control, but whenever I tried to screw with the drivers or do anything it would lock up again. No ctrl-alt-del, a real hard lockup.

But, if you remove the card the machine functions normally.

I figured the card was just a piece of Raiders and I would buy a different brand.

Cochise
01-14-2005, 12:11 PM
:hmmm: Maybe it's an ID10T error...

either the card itself is defective or I'm an id10t in some way :banghead:

Kerberos
01-14-2005, 12:13 PM

This is why I use a mac table for access as well as enabling WEP on ALL wireless networks I have installed ... 3 to be exact !!

People (the malicious type) can do a variety of damage to your network if you are not protected!

;)

Cliff

Lzen
01-14-2005, 12:53 PM
Cochise, it could be an IRQ conflict with another PCI card. Have you tried moving it to a different PCI slot?

Cochise
01-14-2005, 12:59 PM
Cochise, it could be an IRQ conflict with another PCI card. Have you tried moving it to a different PCI slot?

Yup, I did try that. unfortunately it's quite puzzling. I appreciate the help though :thumb:

Lzen
01-14-2005, 01:00 PM
Ok. I had that trouble when I installed an audio card last year. Just switched it with another card and problem was gone.

go bowe
01-14-2005, 01:01 PM
This is why I use a mac table for access as well as enabling WEP on ALL wireless networks I have installed ... 3 to be exact !!

People (the malicious type) can do a variety of damage to your network if you are not protected!

;)

Cliffwhat's a mac table and how do i get one?

ZepSinger
01-14-2005, 01:05 PM
I'm going this route(pun intended) this very week, in fact. The upstairs(family) PC will be regular LAN cable out of the router(AirPlus G Wireless Router with 4 Port Switch), while my work machine in the basement will use the AirPlus Xtreme G High-Speed 2.4GHz Wireless PCI Adapter.

Buying both the router and card in about 3 hours.

Pumped!

Z

go bowe
01-14-2005, 01:08 PM
I'm going this route(pun intended) this very week, in fact. The upstairs(family) PC will be regular LAN cable out of the router(AirPlus G Wireless Router with 4 Port Switch), while my work machine in the basement will use the AirPlus Xtreme G High-Speed 2.4GHz Wireless PCI Adapter.

Buying both the router and card in about 3 hours.

Pumped!

Zsame set up i have...

you'll like the high speed, it makes a difference if you're transferring files from one pc to another...

easy to install and configure too...

Lzen
01-14-2005, 01:10 PM
Cochise, did you download the latest driver/firmware for you network card? Sometimes that can cause problems.

ZepSinger
01-14-2005, 01:11 PM
same set up i have...

you'll like the high speed, it makes a difference if you're transferring files from one pc to another...

easy to install and configure too...

Won't be doing alot of PC-to-PC transferring, it's mainly just to get my Internet connection to a spot in the basement that a cable would be very hard to rig to..

Cochise
01-14-2005, 01:11 PM
Cochise, did you download the latest driver/firmware for you network card? Sometimes that can cause problems.

Yep... the notes said there was some XP compatibility issue in the original version but the updated version didn't change anything for me. I tried both updating my current one and completely removing and installing anew with the new version.

Kerberos
01-14-2005, 01:17 PM
what's a mac table and how do i get one?

Go to McDonalds and stay there to eat at the MAC table !!

:)

It should be in your wireless router when you go into the options on how to set it up from your computer ... if it isn't a MAC table it should be somewhere in the setup to put each and every MAC address from your network in and ONLY those MAC addresses you put in there are allowed access to your router !.

Thus anyone out there using a wireless laptop driving by can't log onto your router because his/her MAC address isn't on the list and gets an "ACCESS DENIED FOOOL" !!

Cliff

Lzen
01-14-2005, 01:39 PM

It should be in your wireless router when you go into the options on how to set it up from your computer ... if it isn't a MAC table it should be somewhere in the setup to put each and every MAC address from your network in and ONLY those MAC addresses you put in there are allowed access to your router !.

Thus anyone out there using a wireless laptop driving by can't log onto your router because his/her MAC address isn't on the list and gets an "ACCESS DENIED FOOOL" !!

Cliff

Cool. How is WEP? Is that pretty secure?

KC Dan
01-14-2005, 01:45 PM
What's your key, I'll let you know. I haven't had any issues with locals busting in my network and I have been using for about a year.

go bowe
01-14-2005, 01:51 PM

Cliffthanks, i can probably figure that out now, with your kind explanation... :toast:

Lzen
01-14-2005, 01:59 PM
What's your key, I'll let you know. I haven't had any issues with locals busting in my network and I have been using for about a year.

Heh heh, I haven't set it up yet. I need to figure out how to do that. I'm sure it's not all that complicated but I just didn't have time to mess with it.

KC Jones
01-14-2005, 02:13 PM
So what do you guys do for security? Obviously some of you broadcast your SSID. Do you use WEP, or just leave it wide open? I just use mac address filtering and don't broadcast my SSID. If someone wants to they could pick up my packet traffic - but they aren't going to get into my network. I just found WEP to be too slow plus it seemed to drain my PDA's battery pretty quickly.

Lzen
01-14-2005, 02:17 PM
So what do you guys do for security? Obviously some of you broadcast your SSID. Do you use WEP, or just leave it wide open? I just use mac address filtering and don't broadcast my SSID. If someone wants to they could pick up my packet traffic - but they aren't going to get into my network. I just found WEP to be too slow plus it seemed to drain my PDA's battery pretty quickly.

For some of us who aren't network techs, could you explain what some of this means?

KC Jones
01-14-2005, 02:33 PM
For some of us who aren't network techs, could you explain what some of this means?

WEP - encrypts data transmitted on your wireless network (and also requires network users to know the passcode to gain access).

SSID - your wireless network name (more or less). Broadcasting it will help your devices find the network, but then so will it help someone else notice your network.

MAC - something like Media Access Control I think - basically every piece of network harware has a unique identifying number called a MAC address. Most wireless routers allow you to limit connections to known MAC addresses. So somebody could try to connect but without a known MAC address your wireless router would pretend not to hear them.

If you aren't using WEP or MAC filtering, your hanging wide open. Someone could poke around inside your computer, use your printer (if it's networked), use you're PC to send a few thousand spam mails, etc.

Lzen
01-14-2005, 02:39 PM
WEP - encrypts data transmitted on your wireless network (and also requires network users to know the passcode to gain access).

SSID - your wireless network name (more or less). Broadcasting it will help your devices find the network, but then so will it help someone else notice your network.

MAC - something like Media Access Control I think - basically every piece of network harware has a unique identifying number called a MAC address. Most wireless routers allow you to limit connections to known MAC addresses. So somebody could try to connect but without a known MAC address your wireless router would pretend not to hear them.

If you aren't using WEP or MAC filtering, your hanging wide open. Someone could poke around inside your computer, use your printer (if it's networked), use you're PC to send a few thousand spam mails, etc.

Thanks. I had somewhat of a grasp on some of those. But it helps to have it spelled out. ;)

Kerberos
01-15-2005, 02:45 PM

WEP is a good security measure and IMHO you should run some sort of encryption between your computers and your wireless router ...

Cliff

KC Jones
01-17-2005, 07:22 AM
WEP is a good security measure and IMHO you should run some sort of encryption between your computers and your wireless router ...

Cliff

Not very many war drivers (any?) will actually bother with monitoring your packets and seeing what's in them. Too much crap to go through to actually try to find something worthwhile. Mostly they just want free internet access through your AP or to hack your network. So MAC filtering is good enough IMO. When I am moving important files around on my network or accessing my server I use SSH/SFTP, so the important stuff is encrypted. It seems to me you pay a bigger performance premium trying to encrypt everything with WEP.