PDA

View Full Version : Video capturing

PastorMikH
01-14-2005, 11:22 AM
Our last VCR shot craps last night. Our old one died a few months back and I have noticed that they are getting harder to find. We will replace the VCR, but with VCRs becoming obsolete, I am thinking I should really get our home movies and such moved over to digital format and burned to DVDs.

I'm looking for some input on video capture cards and software. I want something that will do a good job but still affordable. Hardware, software and also process suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks.

ZepSinger
01-14-2005, 11:58 AM
Well, pastor, Saul will know more than me on this subject, but I do do alot of this stuff. Here's my process:

I go out of the VCR and into my digital camera via RCA jacks. Then, I firewire the digital tape into the PC via firewire card(mine is a SoundBlaster- $60). Then I use Adobe Premiere to edit($700, but there are far cheaper software packages out there). Save the final result to an MPEG2 file, then use DVD Workshop(about $300, but again, there are cheaper programs) to burn to DVD. Of course, you need a DVD burner to do this.

Just my way, certainly not the only way...

Z

go bowe
01-14-2005, 12:06 PM
yikes!

is there some simpler way that doesn't require a digital camera? (i am assuming that you mean something like what we old farts would call a movie camera)?

ZepSinger
01-14-2005, 12:08 PM
yikes!

is there some simpler way that doesn't require a digital camera? (i am assuming that you mean something like what we old farts would call a movie camera)?

Any digital camcorder that has a firewire jack will do.

Nightfyre
01-14-2005, 12:08 PM
Heres what I do:

I plug my VCR into my Nice Radeon All in wonder video card and record it to my hard drive.

Fried Meat Ball!
01-14-2005, 12:10 PM
If you'll spend a little more on the capture card, you can go directly from the VCR into the computer, which will save a little of the quality from being lost. I use the Pinnacle DV500 (you can get it on eBay fairly cheaply, often WITH a copy of Adobe Premiere -- a quick search of eBay (pinnacle dv500) yielded six matches and two or three of them have Premiere with the card and breakout box). Then I do the same as ZepSinger, edit in Premiere, output to MPEG2 (actually I go straight into Adobe Encore) and burn to DVD. If you have any questions, PM me -- I have LOTS of experience with this (I am a filmmaker, after all). I'll be glad to help.

go bowe
01-14-2005, 12:12 PM
Heres what I do:

I plug my VCR into my Nice Radeon All in wonder video card and record it to my hard drive.the video card takes the output from the vcr and translates it into digital so it can be written to the hard drive? sweet...

do you need any particular kind of software to do this, or is it automatically done by the video card?

Nightfyre
01-14-2005, 12:14 PM
the video card takes the output from the vcr and translates it into digital so it can be written to the hard drive? sweet...

do you need any particular kind of software to do this, or is it automatically done by the video card?
It comes with appropriate software.

wutamess
01-14-2005, 12:18 PM
You can get the Pinnacle Studio Audio & Video editing program that also has a fireware capture & cables from best Buy for $99.

That's by far the cheapest route I was able to find when I ran into your same problem last year. Pinnacle is the easiest of the vdieo editing software (IMO). I've used Adobe Premiere (Hard as hell to figure out). Ulead 321 Studio (Not bad but menu's aren't really user friendly). Nero Vision (couldn't test it fully because Pinnacle was everything I needed). & TPMeng (tried it didn't really like it... can't say why)

Pinnacle everything is user friendly and you really don't need the manual to figure the stuff out. Plus they have a website with a forum (with mods) to help with any problems you may encounter.

One more thing. If you purchased everything seperately you're looking at way more than $100.

So might as well get the card and cables and software.

~Hope this helps.

Count Zarth
01-14-2005, 12:36 PM
Unfortunately transferring your VHS tapes to DVD is going to result in DVDs that look like crap.

go bowe
01-14-2005, 12:45 PM
Heres what I do:

I plug my VCR into my Nice Radeon All in wonder video card and record it to my hard drive.which model?

this one? http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=14-102-345&depa=0

or will any radeon all-in-wonder card work?

go bowe
01-14-2005, 12:47 PM
Unfortunately transferring your VHS tapes to DVD is going to result in DVDs that look like crap.do you have any suggestions?

is there a better way of digitizing old vcr tapes?

gblowfish
01-14-2005, 01:37 PM
Unfortunately transferring your VHS tapes to DVD is going to result in DVDs that look like crap.I think what GoatCheese means to say is the DVD discs you burn will not look as good as a DVD of (for example) a movie or something commercially produced. The DVD will only look as good as the source materials recorded to the disc. Just because the DVD footage is "digitized" it will still only look as good as the material currently looks in its analog VHS form. So don't expect miracles. You can't really do anything to improve something that originates from VHS. What you've got is basically what you've got.

PastorMikH
01-14-2005, 01:39 PM
Well, pastor, Saul will know more than me on this subject, but I do do alot of this stuff. Here's my process:

Z

Where is Saul anyway? He's usually on here as much as ENDelt is.

I checked on my camera (Sony p93) and I do not have any jacks going in. I am planning on getting a vid-capture card though.

And Goatcheese, my main concern, like I said is the home movies - which many are in 8mm format from an analoge camcorder. Hopefully the vid quality won't suffer too much from the VHS tapes, but even if they do, a poor quality rememberance is better than a VHS tape 15 years from now when a VCR is unobtainable.

PastorMikH
01-14-2005, 01:40 PM
The DVD will only look as good as the source materials recorded to the disc. Just because the DVD footage is "digitized" it will still only look as good as the material currently looks in its analog VHS form. So don't expect miracles. You can't really do anything to improve something that originates from VHS. What you've got is basically what you've got.

I agree with that. In fact, I will probably try burning to regular CDRs and go with video CDs except where I want to put multiple tapes to one disk.

KC Jones
01-14-2005, 02:54 PM
You can now buy a Tivo that is a DVD burner or simply put a Tivo on your home network and use a new service they are rolling out to move Tivo'ed shows onto your PC and burn them from there.

I got a Tivo for Christmas at Target for $200 but with a $100 rebate it was only $100.

DOH!

I thought you were talking about taping shows - I missed the whole home movie thing.

If you don't need high quality you can buy an ATI TV WOnder VE card for a few bucks to capture video.

ChiefsLV
01-14-2005, 03:27 PM
Why not just get a DVD recorder component and avoid the computer all together? It's a better option if you record from TV a lot and makes sense if you aren't doing any editing.

http://reviews.cnet.com/4521-6531_7-5021437-2.html?tag=subnav

go bowe
01-14-2005, 03:56 PM
You can now buy a Tivo that is a DVD burner or simply put a Tivo on your home network and use a new service they are rolling out to move Tivo'ed shows onto your PC and burn them from there.

I got a Tivo for Christmas at Target for $200 but with a $100 rebate it was only $100.

DOH!

I thought you were talking about taping shows - I missed the whole home movie thing.

If you don't need high quality you can buy an ATI TV WOnder VE card for a few bucks to capture video.how would a tivo work exactly, on a comcast digital cable box?

do you hook it up before or after the digital cable box?

can you watch one show while recording another with a tv using the comcast cable box?

KC Jones
01-14-2005, 04:18 PM
how would a tivo work exactly, on a comcast digital cable box?

do you hook it up before or after the digital cable box?

You hook it up after the cable box. Your cable box is always on and Tivo changes the channels on cable box (that's how it can record things while you're not around on different channels)

can you watch one show while recording another with a tv using the comcast cable box?

You can watch something you already tivoed while tivoing something else. You cannot tivo 2 shows at once. You cannot watch one channel and tivo another.*

* = You can do this if you split the cable line before it goes to your cable box and plug it directly to the TV. This way you can watch a basic cable channel by changing the channel on your TV, while Tivo changes the channel on your cable box and records the signal from the cable box.

PastorMikH
01-14-2005, 06:11 PM
Why not just get a DVD recorder component and avoid the computer all together? It's a better option if you record from TV a lot and makes sense if you aren't doing any editing.

http://reviews.cnet.com/4521-6531_7-5021437-2.html?tag=subnav

I'm thinking a vid-capture card would run around $30-$50 instead of $200 - $500 for one of those and the vid-capture card would have more upside in the long run.

PastorMikH
01-14-2005, 11:30 PM
Still looking for advice on this one.

Bump

go bowe
01-14-2005, 11:38 PM
Still looking for advice on this one.

Bumpdaytime during the week, when all the techies are at work, is the best time for technical advice...

bump your thread on tuesday (b/c monday is a holiday for some), and you'll get lots of good advice...

but i'm thinking there is a radeon wonder card for around $150 at newegg, but i'm not sure if it's the right thing for you or not...

PastorMikH
01-14-2005, 11:41 PM
daytime during the week, when all the techies are at work, is the best time for technical advice...

bump your thread on tuesday (b/c monday is a holiday for some), and you'll get lots of good advice...

but i'm thinking there is a radeon wonder card for around $150 at newegg, but i'm not sure if it's the right thing for you or not...

But I won't be able to find it tuesday without a search function.

I'm leaning towards a capture card at tigerdirect for $35 that has software with it. I have Nero as well as some other video editing software that came with my sony cybershot. With that setup I should just be able to hook the VCR in and start recording. I was just hoping to get some feedback before shellign out some cash. Maybe someone had a better idea and I'd like to hear it before I spend the $.

go bowe
01-15-2005, 12:08 AM
But I won't be able to find it tuesday without a search function.

I'm leaning towards a capture card at tigerdirect for $35 that has software with it. I have Nero as well as some other video editing software that came with my sony cybershot. With that setup I should just be able to hook the VCR in and start recording. I was just hoping to get some feedback before shellign out some cash. Maybe someone had a better idea and I'd like to hear it before I spend the $.then just start a new thread on tuesday, thilly boy... :D

i wanna know too, since i'd like to know which type of video card thingy would be best for recording cable tv input...

PastorMikH
01-15-2005, 12:14 AM
then just start a new thread on tuesday, thilly boy... :D

i wanna know too, since i'd like to know which type of video card thingy would be best for recording cable tv input...

Well, this is the one I'm looking at currently...

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1048731&CatId=1427

It will to cable in, but not cable back out. I'm wondering if I might want to have a line out to a TV so I can watch the games while keeping my monitor available for the Planet. I am also wondering if these will decode digital cable - I am assuming not until I learn different.

Saulbadguy
01-15-2005, 12:36 AM
I use an ATI all in wonder for my video capture, hooked up to a VCR.

However, you can buy any old video capture device, internal or external to get the job done. Unfortunately you will still need a VCR. Borrow one from a neighbor, and you can play the VHS in real time, and it will capture it, and digitize it.

THEN you should have to convert that file to DVD format. I use TMPENG DVD author to do that. Its a free program, and works well.

For your input device, I recommend an internal PCI card, that has TV Tuner functionality. You might think you don't need a TV Tuner, but its actually pretty cool. You can use it as a TIVO if you want. You can also hook up a VCR as mentioned, and digitize your VHS's.

PM me if you want more info on this.

Saulbadguy
01-15-2005, 12:38 AM
Well, this is the one I'm looking at currently...

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1048731&CatId=1427

It will to cable in, but not cable back out. I'm wondering if I might want to have a line out to a TV so I can watch the games while keeping my monitor available for the Planet. I am also wondering if these will decode digital cable - I am assuming not until I learn different.
Their are better solutions than that, IMO. Higher quality TV cards, that is. I'd stick with a name brand, such as ASUS, or even better Hauppage. I'd try to spend around 39.99-49.99.

PastorMikH
01-15-2005, 12:39 AM
I use an ATI all in wonder for my video capture, hooked up to a VCR.

However, you can buy any old video capture device, internal or external to get the job done. Unfortunately you will still need a VCR. Borrow one from a neighbor, and you can play the VHS in real time, and it will capture it, and digitize it.

THEN you should have to convert that file to DVD format. I use TMPENG DVD author to do that. Its a free program, and works well.

For your input device, I recommend an internal PCI card, that has TV Tuner functionality. You might think you don't need a TV Tuner, but its actually pretty cool. You can use it as a TIVO if you want. You can also hook up a VCR as mentioned, and digitize your VHS's.

PM me if you want more info on this.

Thanks Saul.

BTW, what do you think of this card?
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicat...8731&CatId=1427

Saulbadguy
01-15-2005, 12:43 AM
Here is a card i've had personal experience with:

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=14-127-998&depa=0

Good product. The other card you were looking at didn't have RCA jacks in, meaning you'd have to go out and buy an adapter.