PDA

View Full Version : Comuter Help please: Got DSL, now what?

BigVE
01-14-2005, 02:25 PM
I recently signed up for DSL (the only higher speed available in my "village"), I got all the stuff to hook it up myself EXCEPT for the ethernet card. Okay here is where I need help decifering what the difference is, if any, in a N.I.Card and an ethernet adapter. IF I buy an external ethernet adapter will I be good to go? When I use the installation CD it says that I need to have a N.I.C. (network interface card)...will the external ethernet adapter solve this or are these two seperate problems/issues? Thanks alot, any help is appreciated.

I havent called the tech support yet because the idea of being on hold for 15+ minutes after talking to several recordings pisses me off.

ENDelt260
01-14-2005, 02:26 PM
Got DSL, now what?

bangbus.com :shrug:

Phobia
01-14-2005, 02:28 PM
The only difference is an external ethernet adapter is slightly easier to install.

A NIC is an internal card for which you'll need to open your PC to complete the installation. I would go with a NIC. cheaper, faster, more dependable, and they don't eat one of your USB ports.

ENDelt260
01-14-2005, 02:28 PM
Why do you want an external ethernet adapter?

In any event, the answer to your question is yes. I think. Hang on... lemme re-read it.

Yeah, I'm gonna stick with yes. Your DSL modem has a port you're supposed to plug an ethernet cable into, yes? And this cable should run to your machine... whether through an internal card, or an external adapter of some sort (are you out of slots or something?)

Donger
01-14-2005, 02:31 PM
I need to have a N.I.C.

I'm probably the only person in the world that giggles when I see the "word" NIC.

ENDelt260
01-14-2005, 02:32 PM
I'm probably the only person in the world that giggles when I see the "word" NIC.
Uh... I guess so.

Wanna let me in on the joke?

Donger
01-14-2005, 02:35 PM
Uh... I guess so.

Wanna let me in on the joke?

Just reminds me of Monty Python.

phisherman
01-14-2005, 02:36 PM
both of the cards that you referred to are "NIC"'s by definition. NIC just means network interface card. The difference between the two is basically where the card is located. the internal NIC goes inside your desktop computer, installed in a PCI slot. The external NIC is not installed internally in your computer, but rather it plugs in via your USB port on your computer. Both of these NIC's serve the exact same purpose, it just depends what's more useful for your situation.
pm me if you have any more questions.
bp

KC Jones
01-14-2005, 02:36 PM
Welcome to high speed access. Might I suggest a firewall, virus and trojan protections, and spyware protection?

BigVE
01-14-2005, 02:37 PM
Im just wanting to go with the easiest option right now, Im getting a new computer soon so I just need to get by until then. I dont have an ethernet/DSL connection right now so I need one and the only reason I was leaning towards the external one is that its just 'plug and play" so to speak. The prices are similar either way without having to take my tower apart and installing the N.I.C. Thanks for the info guys.

KC Jones
01-14-2005, 02:38 PM
HOLD ON A SECOND!!!!

Somebody sold you a bill of goods. You don't need a NIC or DSL to commute. You just need a bus pass, a car, a bicycle, or a job you can walk to or from.

phisherman
01-14-2005, 02:40 PM
well, in this case, if you don't want to crack open your case, the prudent choice would be to go w/ the external NIC. because it's not internally installed in your case, you also have the flexibility to take it out and use it on other machines if need be.

bp

BigVE
01-14-2005, 02:43 PM
HOLD ON A SECOND!!!!

Somebody sold you a bill of goods. You don't need a NIC or DSL to commute. You just need a bus pass, a car, a bicycle, or a job you can walk to or from.

WTH, some of you "day-shifters" are a bit...special.

ENDelt260
01-14-2005, 02:45 PM
WTH, some of you "day-shifters" are a bit...special.
Heh... I didn't get it at first either... then when I clicked on the thread this time, I noticed there was a p missing from the thread title.

PastorMikH
01-14-2005, 02:46 PM
Are you sure you don't already have a spot in the back of your PC for an ethernet cable? It looks like a phone jack only wider. Unless your computer is really old or home-built (in which case you wouldn't be asking this question) you may already have the ethernet conection.

If not, you can get an internal card from walmart for about $15. They are very simple to install and if you have windows xp, it should do all the driver set up for you.

BigVE
01-14-2005, 02:47 PM
Heh... I didn't get it at first either... then when I clicked on the thread this time, I noticed there was a p missing from the thread title.

Yeah, I got it now. Now I feel "special". I was just reading through some of the threads earlier thinking "I cant believe some of the bad spelling that is on the front page"...duh.

BigVE
01-14-2005, 02:51 PM
Are you sure you don't already have a spot in the back of your PC for an ethernet cable? It looks like a phone jack only wider. Unless your computer is really old or home-built (in which case you wouldn't be asking this question) you may already have the ethernet conection.

If not, you can get an internal card from walmart for about $15. They are very simple to install and if you have windows xp, it should do all the driver set up for you.

My computer is about 6 years old, its a Pentium III 600mhz. To be honest, I dont really know if there is a "spot in the back for an ethernet cable" or not. I ran the installation CD from Sprint DSL and it does a scan to see if my computer has the right components to support the DSL and it said that I needed a N.I.C. Your right, I checked at Walmart and they do have them, I just dont have any experience taking my computer apart and plugging in new components. No windows XP, I have M. E.

Donger
01-14-2005, 02:52 PM
I have M. E.

Be afraid. Be VERY afraid.

KC Jones
01-14-2005, 02:55 PM
Be afraid. Be VERY afraid.

I think he better shoot it now just to be safe.

and burn it

maybe throw it over a cliff too

first sprinkle some holy water on it though

That might do it.

KCTitus
01-14-2005, 02:55 PM
nic and ethernet adapter are the same thing...it's two terms describing the same item. Like rain and precipitation.

Donger
01-14-2005, 02:58 PM
I think he better shoot it now just to be safe.

and burn it

maybe throw it over a cliff too

first sprinkle some holy water on it though

That might do it.

Heh.

A neighbor of mine caught me shoveling the driveway last week and asked a 'puter question. He got a new HP printer, installed it and now his machine keeps crashing. I asked what OS he had and couldn't help but LOL when he told me ME.

He upgraded to XP and now everything's peachy.

The look on his face was priceless, however. Well, maybe not priceless. Whatever the price is to upgrade to XP.

KC Jones
01-14-2005, 02:58 PM
Seriously, if you can scare up $200 for this:

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.gsp?product_id=3380786&cat=41937&type=19&dept=3944&path=0%3A3944%3A3951%3A175293

You'll have a lot more computer and a pretty damn secure OS and you won't have to open your PC to install a NIC.

BigVE
01-14-2005, 03:06 PM

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.gsp?product_id=3380786&cat=41937&type=19&dept=3944&path=0%3A3944%3A3951%3A175293

You'll have a lot more computer and a pretty damn secure OS and you won't have to open your PC to install a NIC.
Thats not bad, I figured I would have to spend more than that honestly, I want the CD burner,40gig HD and more RAM. I have 20 gbHD and 196Ram right now and I was told that if I were going to try to download music files that I would fill my memory up...true?

KC Jones
01-14-2005, 03:31 PM
Thats not bad, I figured I would have to spend more than that honestly, I want the CD burner,40gig HD and more RAM. I have 20 gbHD and 196Ram right now and I was told that if I were going to try to download music files that I would fill my memory up...true?

Your music will fill up your hard drive which is secondary memory. Primary memory or RAM comes into play with how you use your machine - whether or not you have multiple applications open at the same time and the size of the files you are working with. Video editing for instance needs huge amounts of memory - I'd reccomend 1GB at least to someone who plans on a lot of video editing.

The $200 system I linked to on walmart's site runs linux instead of windows. The downsides will be that you may not be able to use some windows software that you've already bought. You won't be able to go to the store and just buy software and have it work. If you have a PC literate friend for tech support they may not be able to help you with it.

On the positive end, most software you might need is free and easy to download. Xandros will run a lot of Microsoft software, so might be able to use some of your old windows software on it. You're machine will have better tools for handling spam and you won't have to worry near as much about viruses, spyware, and other security issues.

Lzen
01-14-2005, 03:32 PM

Hmmm, I notice it doesn't come with a monitor. I could use the old Compaq's monitor that we have sitting in a closet. So, do you know anything about this Xandros OS? I'm thinking this would be a cheap solution for the kids. They would mainly use it for games and internet. will most games install with this OS no problem or does that make a difference? I have no idea since I've never used another OS other than Windows.

KCTitus
01-14-2005, 03:34 PM
If you have a PC literate friend for tech support they may not be able to help you with it.

Ugh...Im sure his PC literate friend appreciates this...

ENDelt260
01-14-2005, 03:36 PM
Ugh...Im sure his PC literate friend appreciates this...
Haha.

KCTitus
01-14-2005, 03:40 PM
Haha.

Story of my life...

"Hey, Gregg...I know you work on computers and your a tech guy, so maybe you could help me out. I bought this computer from Walmart and I have no clue how to use it or the OS and now my 5.99 solitare game that's only for Windows OS wont work. Could you come over and show me how to use this and install my Windows games on a linux OS?"

Me: *sigh*

KC Jones
01-14-2005, 03:41 PM
Hmmm, I notice it doesn't come with a monitor. I could use the old Compaq's monitor that we have sitting in a closet. So, do you know anything about this Xandros OS? I'm thinking this would be a cheap solution for the kids. They would mainly use it for games and internet. will most games install with this OS no problem or does that make a difference? I have no idea since I've never used another OS other than Windows.

I've been toying with the idea of starting a Linux PC support company for small businesses and so far I've settled on Xandros for a Linux distribution if I ever go forward with it. Anyway - it does a really good job of giving the user a look and feel like windows - plus it can run a lot of windows software. Your kids games may run and they may not. You'll find a lot of help on the forums on their website if you ever run into trouble. There's something called WINE (now called Cedega I believe) that's for running windows games on Linux that might help with the kids games. Plus there are a lot of free games for linux now that your kids could play. www.tuxgames.com sells commercial linux games.

ENDelt260
01-14-2005, 03:42 PM
Story of my life...

"Hey, Gregg...I know you work on computers and your a tech guy, so maybe you could help me out. I bought this computer from Walmart and I have no clue how to use it or the OS and now my 5.99 solitare game that's only for Windows OS wont work. Could you come over and show me how to use this and install my Windows games on a linux OS?"

Me: *sigh*
Me: "Not only no, but f*ck no."

KCTitus
01-14-2005, 03:43 PM
Me: "Not only no, but f*ck no."

My fee is typically a 750ml bottle of the good stuff...

Lzen
01-14-2005, 03:44 PM
I've been toying with the idea of starting a Linux PC support company for small businesses and so far I've settled on Xandros for a Linux distribution if I ever go forward with it. Anyway - it does a really good job of giving the user a look and feel like windows - plus it can run a lot of windows software. Your kids games may run and they may not. You'll find a lot of help on the forums on their website if you ever run into trouble. There's something called WINE (now called Cedega I believe) that's for running windows games on Linux that might help with the kids games. Plus there are a lot of free games for linux now that your kids could play. www.tuxgames.com sells commercial linux games.

Sounds good. Heh, it's only for the kids so it doesn't have to be anything great. And if there are a lot of free games, that is much better.

BigVE
01-14-2005, 03:44 PM
All I know about Linux is that he and Charlie Brown should have gotten together and whipped Lucy's @ss!

ENDelt260
01-14-2005, 03:45 PM
My fee is typically a 750ml bottle of the good stuff...
That's good in theory... but, they tend to get upset when I'm drunk, and their computer still isn't fixed.

KCTitus
01-14-2005, 03:45 PM
Your kids games may run and they may not.

Heh...I can only imagine the sh!t storm at the Titus house if Barbie Detective 2 and Pajama Sam stopped working...

PastorMikH
01-14-2005, 03:51 PM
My computer is about 6 years old, its a Pentium III 600mhz. To be honest, I dont really know if there is a "spot in the back for an ethernet cable" or not. I ran the installation CD from Sprint DSL and it does a scan to see if my computer has the right components to support the DSL and it said that I needed a N.I.C. Your right, I checked at Walmart and they do have them, I just dont have any experience taking my computer apart and plugging in new components. No windows XP, I have M. E.

That's pretty old. The NIC Card is easy to install and the package from walmart has instructions (though I didn't use them when I installed one in one of my machine a while back).

That said, from reading above this post, the newer PCs are getting really affordable. You can get a decent system for under $500. (Inlaws keep trying to get me to help them fix up their 133ghz and I keep pointing the computer bundles at Walmart out to them).

Kerberos
01-14-2005, 04:17 PM

Its CRAP like this that keeps me in job security ... I work on so many wal-mart computers it's kinda comical !

Whether it be one of these or a walmart HP, emachine or compaq they are all subpar and have more than their share of problems .. or so the #'s say that at least !

;)

Cliff

KC Jones
01-14-2005, 04:49 PM
Its CRAP like this that keeps me in job security ... I work on so many wal-mart computers it's kinda comical !

Whether it be one of these or a walmart HP, emachine or compaq they are all subpar and have more than their share of problems .. or so the #'s say that at least !

;)

Cliff

Good point - I didn't pay much attention to the hardware used.

This might be a better site for a cheap linux computer:
http://www.sub300.com/

crossbow
01-14-2005, 05:44 PM
It is rare that a computer gets built now days without a network interface built into it. It looks like a telephone jack but is wider to accomodate more wires. Plug the ethernet cable that you got with your DSL package into the only port that will fit on your computer and plug the other end of the cable into the DLS router.

Its realy that simple. If the computer doesn't have a port that the ethernet wire will plug into then go to Wall-Mart and buy a network card. Look for the cheapest one you can find because its not going to make a difference.

ArrowheadHawk
01-14-2005, 05:48 PM
more dependable, and they don't eat one of your USB ports.who cares if it eats a usb port??? you can daisy chain 127 devices on one usb port

KC Jones
01-14-2005, 06:23 PM
who cares if it eats a usb port??? you can daisy chain 127 devices on one usb port

and that would be a very very bad idea.

ArrowheadHawk
01-14-2005, 07:28 PM
and that would be a very very bad idea.obviously no sane person needs 127 devices but burning a usb port is not a good reason to get an internal component

Lzen
01-14-2005, 08:59 PM

;)

Cliff

Eh, I've had an HP that I bought at Walmart 2 years ago. Never had any problems with it. I'm guessing that the customers that have problems are the ones that you say don't install AV, anti -spyware, or update their OS. I'm betting that they are most of the problems. Not the brand of computer. ;)

PastorMikH
01-14-2005, 09:07 PM
Eh, I've had an HP that I bought at Walmart 2 years ago. Never had any problems with it. I'm guessing that the customers that have problems are the ones that you say don't install AV, anti -spyware, or update their OS. I'm betting that they are most of the problems. Not the brand of computer. ;)

I had 1 hard drive go out while the computer was under warranty. They sent me another drive ASAP. Didn't have any problems with customer service either.

My only complaint about HP is the Proprietary nature of the software packets they send out. However, that is fairly common among the name brand computer companies.

Kerberos
01-14-2005, 11:37 PM

There are ALWAYS exceptions to every rule ... I just get to see the crap they put into most of these ... low end Maxturd hard drives ... no name mainboards with built on video and NO AGP port available when you want to upgrade or onboard video gives way ... which happens more than you think. It's just the little things that are really crappy about most of them that add up to a crappy machine...

You are correct in saying that allot of the problems I see are because people don't take care of thier puters ... anything from not gaurding them with AV, anti-spyware etc etc... to just not keeping up on cleaning and blowing them out and making their longevity more just by giving a crap about it... The thing that really hits home with me is if you look at MOST but NOT ALL of the prebuilts .. HP, Compaq, Gateway, Dell, Emachines, etc etc.. they all have parts on them that are proprietary... Its rediculous that if one of those TINY power supplys that seem to be in allot of them ... or power supplys that are not the same size as the universal PS you can buy at just about ANY puter supply house or online for almost NOTHING ... they are outragously priced to the point that I can sell a customer a NEW CASE with a 350 Watt Power supply "IN IT" for just about the same price as a NEW piece of crap from their original manufacturer !

I could go on and on about little things like that ... the biggest point is that they build cheap crap for Wal-Mart ... some people have moderate to good luck with them and then there are the hoards that bring thier computers into me because they bought it at wal-mart and its a piece of crap right out of the box.

but hey that is IMO and opinions are like azz holes right ??

;)

Cliff

go bowe
01-15-2005, 12:45 AM
There are ALWAYS exceptions to every rule ... I just get to see the crap they put into most of these ... low end Maxturd hard drives ... no name mainboards with built on video and NO AGP port available when you want to upgrade or onboard video gives way ... which happens more than you think. It's just the little things that are really crappy about most of them that add up to a crappy machine...

You are correct in saying that allot of the problems I see are because people don't take care of thier puters ... anything from not gaurding them with AV, anti-spyware etc etc... to just not keeping up on cleaning and blowing them out and making their longevity more just by giving a crap about it... The thing that really hits home with me is if you look at MOST but NOT ALL of the prebuilts .. HP, Compaq, Gateway, Dell, Emachines, etc etc.. they all have parts on them that are proprietary... Its rediculous that if one of those TINY power supplys that seem to be in allot of them ... or power supplys that are not the same size as the universal PS you can buy at just about ANY puter supply house or online for almost NOTHING ... they are outragously priced to the point that I can sell a customer a NEW CASE with a 350 Watt Power supply "IN IT" for just about the same price as a NEW piece of crap from their original manufacturer !

I could go on and on about little things like that ... the biggest point is that they build cheap crap for Wal-Mart ... some people have moderate to good luck with them and then there are the hoards that bring thier computers into me because they bought it at wal-mart and its a piece of crap right out of the box.

;)

Cliffactually, your opinions are very helpful insights for many of us who are no more then end users and then only semi-literate in terms of computer savy...

thank you... :toast:

KC Jones
01-17-2005, 07:28 AM
obviously no sane person needs 127 devices but burning a usb port is not a good reason to get an internal component

Well, the main thing is that you have a limited bandwidth when using USB - especially USB 1.x ports. If you daisychain several devices onto one port, well you're just adding traffic to a potential bottleneck. Most people don't multitask so it would probably not show up, but if you were trying to pull files up from a digital camera and surf the web at the same time it would be a real dog.

BigVE
01-18-2005, 09:23 PM
Thanks to all of you. I am fully connected and up to speed finally! Your tips and info helped me to make a somewhat informed decision.

Lzen
01-19-2005, 11:39 AM

;)

Cliff

Good info. Nice insight for us common people. ;) I dunno, though. I just don't like to spend a lot of $$ on anything. And if I can get a whole computer system for 500-700 bucks.....