PDA

View Full Version : Who's the best play-action QB you ever saw?

siberian khatru
01-15-2005, 01:07 PM
Who was the best at faking a hand-off, hiding the ball and fooling the defense?

Three immediately come to my mind:

* Jim Hart
* Boomer Esiason
* Steve DeBerg

Who else?

Brock
01-15-2005, 01:10 PM
Sounds funny, but Elvis Grbac was pretty damn good with a playfake.

go bowe
01-15-2005, 01:11 PM
fran tarkenton was pretty good at it, but not the "best"

best i ever saw on a consistent basis was probably deberg...

|Zach|
Bono...hands down. Seriously.

Deberg_1990
Manning is the best of all time, if you listen to the current media....

Phobia
01-15-2005, 01:12 PM
Sounds funny, but Elvis Grbac was pretty damn good with a playfake.

He got really good at it towards the end of his career.

I think Green has polished his play action, too.

OTOH, I don't think Manning's is very effective at freezing linebackers, but it is ultra-efficient in getting James to the corner.

Deberg_1990
Honestly, I remember watching many a Chiefs game where the cameraman would get faked out by Debergs play fakes.

ExtremeChief
Deberg

CHIEF4EVER
01-15-2005, 01:14 PM
Steve DeBerg hands down.

|Zach|
I think Green has polished his play action, too.

I think it has gotten better but still needs some work.

Count Zarth
The best play action QB I ever saw was Joe Montana.

The best in the league right now, IMO, is Chad Pennington.

go bowe
01-15-2005, 01:18 PM

The best in the league right now, IMO, is Chad Pennington.montana, really?

Phobia
01-15-2005, 01:19 PM
Honestly, I remember watching many a Chiefs game where the cameraman would get faked out by Debergs play fakes.

I think Deberg would be the choice of many non-KC, non-TB, non-SF, non-ATL, non-MIA, and non-DEN fans too.

DanT
01-15-2005, 01:20 PM
Y'all remember this, as reported in the October 2, 1995, wire reports?

http://wildcat.arizona.edu/papers/old-wildcats/fall95/October/October2%2C1995/13_1_m.html

Chiefs 24, Cardinals 3

At Tempe, Steve Bono threw two TD passes and stunned Arizona with a 76-yard touchdown run, the longest by a quarterback in NFL history.

After a fake handoff to Marcus Allen fooled the Arizona defense, Bono circled to his right and took off while Allen was being wrestled down. The slow-footed quarterback lumbered along the sideline in apparent disbelief, while lineman Joe Valerio waved him on.

|Zach|
01-15-2005, 01:21 PM
Hell yes I do.

Demonpenz
01-15-2005, 01:24 PM
i hate it when qb's put the offhand out in the playfake. As a linebacker you can see it is a bare hand. Stick that ball in the belly then take it away like an option

go bowe
01-15-2005, 01:24 PM

http://wildcat.arizona.edu/papers/old-wildcats/fall95/October/October2%2C1995/13_1_m.html no...

i wish i could remember one of those sayings about how even a ? can make a ?

or the one about how every dog has it's day, or something...

Count Zarth
01-15-2005, 01:28 PM
montana, really?

Yeah. The way he hid that ball on his hip was sweet.

Deberg_1990
01-15-2005, 01:29 PM

http://wildcat.arizona.edu/papers/old-wildcats/fall95/October/October2%2C1995/13_1_m.html

That was one hell of a play....Too bad he couldnt have had a play like that in the Colts playoff game.

CHIEF4EVER
01-15-2005, 01:30 PM
Yeah. The way he hid that ball on his hip was sweet.

Sorry GC but Montana couldn't shine a candle to DeBerg when it comes to the play fake. DeBerg actually PLACED the ball in the RB's belly before pulling it out.

andoman
01-15-2005, 01:31 PM
I think Manning's is good, but not because of any skill he has. That stretch play takes so long to develop that by the time he does pull the ball away its too late. The defense has to commit already.

BTW, the worst I ever saw was Jay Schroeder. You always knew by the way he ducked or bent over when he was keeping the ball.

Cochise
01-15-2005, 01:32 PM
haha.. I was just thinking of Bono's Michael-Vick-like rushing ability

Deberg_1990
01-15-2005, 01:32 PM
I think Manning's is good, but not because of any skill he has. That stretch play takes so long to develop that by the time he does pull the ball away its too late. The defense has to commit already.

BTW, the worst I ever saw was Jay Schroeder. You always knew by the way he ducked or bent over when he was keeping the ball.

Manning cant hold a candle on the play action to DeBerg..Im so sick of the media licking Mannings nuts..

Mile High Mania
01-15-2005, 01:34 PM
Peter Tom Willis! He was da bomb...

go bowe
01-15-2005, 01:45 PM
Peter Tom Willis! He was da bomb...now that was (almost) a blast from the past...

i had to google it to find out wth that was...

http://www.aflroundhouse.com/players/w/willis_petertom.htm

DanT
01-15-2005, 01:53 PM
haha.. I was just thinking of Bono's Michael-Vick-like rushing ability

Michael Vick couldn't hold Steve Bono's track shoes. ;) Longest he ever ran was 58 yards and his longest touchdown run was a mere 46 yarder.
http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/235253/gamelogs/2004

Kordell Stewart had a 80-yard touchdown run against the Panthers on December 22, 1996.

http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/1054

Here's how the Denver Post's Adam Schefter answered a question on Sept. 6, 2001, about who had the longest TD run as a NFL QB:
http://www.denverpost.com/Stories/0%2C1413%2C36%257E192%257E135643%2C00.html

Hi, Adam. You are my only real source of Bronco news in this part of world. I am a first-time writer but a longtime Broncos fan. I love to watch the Broncos. I have two questions and would greatly appreciate if you answer both. 1. What is the longest touchdown run a QB has ever run? 2. I heard there was one player - I think a QB with the Baltimore Colts - who was banned from the NFL for his involvement in fixing NFL games; if so, can you give me some details? At the end, keep doing the good work you are doing.
-- Haider, Islamabad, Pakistan

Making me really do some serious research on this one, Haider. Basically, former Kansas City Chiefs quarterback Steve Bono has it, we think. He had a 76-yard touchdown run on Oct. 1, 1995, that was the longest since the NFL merger. Prior to that, it would be hard to tell the record since a lot of players played both running back and quarterback, and it would be impossible to find out where they lined up on what plays. Pittsburgh's Kordell Stewart had an 80-yard touchdown run on Dec. 22, 1996 - but no one could determine if he was playing quarterback at the time. As for the gambler, it was former Colts quarterback Art Schlichter. He has been in and out of jail so many times, it's difficult to keep up with where he is now.

DanT
01-15-2005, 01:59 PM
According to this news account of the 1996 game, Stewart was playing QB when he had his 80-yard TD run.
http://cgi.canoe.ca/NFLWeekSeventeen/dec22_car_pit.html

December 22, 1996

Panthers stop Steelers just short
CHARLOTTE, N.C. (AP) -- The Carolina Panthers had more trouble with the Pittsburgh junior varsity than they've had with mighty San Francisco.
The Panthers clinched the NFC West title by beating the Steelers 18-14 Sunday on three John Kasa field goals, a safety and Kerry Collins' 9-yard touchdown pass to Wesley Walls on their first possession.
But the Pittsburgh backups who played most of the final three quarters gave the Panthers fits.
Kordell Stewart, playing full-time quarterback for the first time this season, ran 80 yards for a touchdown in the second quarter. Then he drove Pittsburgh into scoring position three times in the final quarter, only to be turned away by a Carolina defense that allowed only 56 second-half points all season.
The two most serious threats came late.
First the Steelers' Ernie Mills dropped a fourth-down pass in the end zone with 3:54 left. Then Chad Cota intercepted Stewart with 29 seconds left on a pass from the 8.
It not only was the first division title for a second-year team, but just the third time in 14 years that San Francisco has failed to win the NFC West. The Panthers (12-4) earned it by beating the 49ers twice to ensure they got the tiebreaker against the Niners, 11-4 going into Monday night's game with Detroit.
The Panthers scored on their opening drive, going 58 yards in 10 plays. They made it 9-0 when Mike Tomczak, who played a quarter and a half at quarterback for the Steelers, was called for grounding in the end zone, a safety.
But Pittsburgh (10-6), which was locked in as the AFC's third seed when New England rallied to beat the New York Giants 23-22 Saturday, struck for two touchdowns during a 2:25 span in the second quarter.
The first came on a 6-yard TD pass from Tomczak to Andre Hastings after Willie Williams recovered Howard Griffith's fumble at the Carolina 7-yard line. On Pittsburgh's next series, Stewart took over at quarterback and on the first play scrambled up the middle and raced 80 yards for a touchdown, the longest by a quarterback in NFL history.
So it was 14-9 Pittsburgh at halftime even though the Steelers were playing without starting linebackers Chad Brown and Jerry Olsavsky and safety Carnell Lake, and using Fred McAfee and newly activated Terry Richardson in place of Jerome Bettis for most of the game.
In the second half, Kasay kicked field goals of 35, 30 and 29 yards and a Carolina defense came up big when it had to.
The first Pittsburgh threat came after a 37-yard reverse by Andre Hastings put the Steelers at the Carolina 36 early in the fourth quarter.
But Stewart, who ran for 102 yards in seven carries and was 8-for-21 for 77 yards passing, overthrew Hastings on fourth-and-three from the 29 to end the threat.
Then Stewart drove the Panthers 53 yards to the Carolina 6. But on fourth down, Stewart's perfect slant pass was dropped by Mills, a step ahead of Tyrone Poole in the end zone.
The final Steelers' drive reached the 1 after a holding call on Carolina's Kevin Greene. After a motion call on Brenden Stai set the ball back to the six, Stewart was thrown for a 2-yard loss on a draw play, then threw the ball to the end zone, where Cota grabbed the ball from Hastings, as the two rolled over on the ground.

Count Zarth
01-15-2005, 02:13 PM
Sorry GC but Montana couldn't shine a candle to DeBerg when it comes to the play fake. DeBerg actually PLACED the ball in the RB's belly before pulling it out.

I never watched DeBerg so I will defer.

Skip Towne
01-15-2005, 02:23 PM
It's a tie between Tommy McDonald and Whizzer White.

Bwana
01-15-2005, 02:31 PM
Kordell Stuart........he even faked out his team most of the time.

redsurfer11
01-15-2005, 03:08 PM
Deberg was the best ever. second place votes go to Namath,Starr,Stabler,Montana and Staubach.

Frankie
01-15-2005, 03:41 PM
HELLLLLOOOOO!!!!

Len Dawson, anybody?

Deberg_1990
01-15-2005, 03:44 PM
Billie Joe Hobert. Best I ever saw...

Skip Towne
01-15-2005, 03:49 PM
HELLLLLOOOOO!!!!

Len Dawson, anybody?
Lenny wasn't all that good at it as he always used the empty hand. But it was pretty effective since Stram invented it and other teams hadn't seen it before.

Frankie
01-15-2005, 03:53 PM
Lenny wasn't all that good at it as he always used the empty hand. But it was pretty effective since Stram invented it and other teams hadn't seen it before.

I remember at least a couple of write ups refering to LD as " the Master of the Play-action Pass."

redhed
01-15-2005, 06:33 PM
"I think Green has polished his play action, too."

Ha ha, he said "polished".

DeBerg was the best I ever saw, Montana was also really good.

Taco John
01-15-2005, 06:46 PM
Believe it or not, Brian Griese is damned good at it.

Calcountry
01-15-2005, 06:58 PM
Believe it or not, Brian Griese is damned good at it.
Hey Taco meat, why are you here? Your piece of shit team lost. You don't have anything to bother anyone about now, so go back to your toilett and think up some more shit o.k.? :p

craneref
01-15-2005, 08:16 PM
I would have to go with DeBerg on the pro level, however I would have to rank a 12 year old right up there with him. When I was a referee in Florida, was doing some 5th and 6th graders, I was the White Hat int he backfield with this kid and he could fool everybody, even caught me faollowing the running back for a couple of steps, that kid was incredible at it, every time he did it he ran forever going the opposite direction. I was a good enough referee to do the state chapionships in Alsaka, and playoffs in Florida, so I am not a slug, and this kid caught me with my pants down. Wonder what this kid is doing know.

Over-Head
01-15-2005, 08:27 PM
Ken Stabler could do the shuck and jive mighty fine. :thumb:

MadMax
01-15-2005, 08:37 PM
Who was the best at faking a hand-off, hiding the ball and fooling the defense?

Three immediately come to my mind:

* Jim Hart
* Boomer Esiason
* Steve DeBerg

Who else?

Deberg, hands down. JMIO

bkkcoh
01-15-2005, 11:39 PM
Ken Stabler could do the shuck and jive mighty fine. :thumb:

NOt only that, he had a pretty good forward fumble also.... :banghead:

Manila-Chief
01-16-2005, 12:07 AM

Frankie ... you beat me to the question. As I remember it Lenny was pretty good at it. Maybe I'm just a homer?

Skip, what difference does it make which hand? The purpose is to fool the D.

But, I have not been able to watch DeBerg, et al.

Valiant
01-16-2005, 12:30 AM

The best in the league right now, IMO, is Chad Pennington.

you were what 12 when he was playing???

Valiant
01-16-2005, 12:34 AM
Kordell Stuart........he even faked out his team most of the time.

what you talking about.. he faked most of the league into him being a competent player...

Count Zarth
01-16-2005, 12:40 AM
you were what 12 when he was playing???

Yeah, just about...I was 13 or 14 when he retired. He's what got me hooked on football.

I've spent the seasons since looking for another player like him.... :(