PDA

View Full Version : Bernie Miklasz of STL Post Dispatch calls DT a virtual lock for HOF...

shaneo69
01-15-2005, 02:39 PM
From today's stltoday.com...

"I'm delighted to see that St. Louis Cardinals' cornerback Roger Wehrli has made it to the list of 15 finalists for possible induction into the Pro Football Hall of Fame. But in all candor, Wehrli doesn't have much of a chance to make it this year. As a voting member of the Hall of Fame committee, I will do everything in my power to make a case for the deserving Wehrli.

But the reality is, he's in with a strong, imposing group of 15. Only six, maximum, can be voted in. First-time eligible Dan Marino is a lock. First-timers Steve Young and Derrick Thomas are virtual locks. Another first-timer, Michael Irvin, will get votes. The two senior committee nominees (Benny Friedman and Fritz Pollard) will receive significant support. And others who have made it to the final 15 in previous years -- including Art Monk, Bob Kuechenberg, Harry Carson, Richard Dent and George Young -- can count on a number of voters sticking with them."

tk13
01-15-2005, 02:47 PM
Wow, that's good to hear from a voting member, hopefully we can get a few more to agree with him...

dirk digler
01-15-2005, 02:49 PM
I am surprised especially coming from a St. Louis guy.

shaneo69
01-15-2005, 03:01 PM
I am surprised especially coming from a St. Louis guy.

After Bidwell left for Phoenix, the Post covered the Cardinals like the home team for a few seasons, until most of the old St. Louis guys like Lomax, Roy Green, and Stump Mitchell left the team. Then the Post took a vote of the readers as to which team the Post should cover, the Chiefs or the Bears. The people of St. Louis voted for the Chiefs, probably because we hate everything Chicago and because the Chiefs were turning into a dominant team. Bernie became the Post's "beat" writer for the Chiefs, and Chiefs game stories were on the front page of the sports section each Monday until the Rams came along.

So Bernie knows firsthand what a dominant player Derrick was.

ChiefsCountry
01-15-2005, 03:13 PM
After Bidwell left for Phoenix, the Post covered the Cardinals like the home team for a few seasons, until most of the old St. Louis guys like Lomax, Roy Green, and Stump Mitchell left the team. Then the Post took a vote of the readers as to which team the Post should cover, the Chiefs or the Bears. The people of St. Louis voted for the Chiefs, probably because we hate everything Chicago and because the Chiefs were turning into a dominant team. Bernie became the Post's "beat" writer for the Chiefs, and Chiefs game stories were on the front page of the sports section each Monday until the Rams came along.

Is that why the Chiefs played a preseason game in St. Louis in 1991?

shaneo69
01-15-2005, 03:17 PM
Is that why the Chiefs played a preseason game in St. Louis in 1991?

Yeah, there were a couple pre-season games in StL during that time to try and drum up support for a new stadium to attract an NFL team.

Baby Lee
01-15-2005, 03:20 PM
Yeah, there were a couple pre-season games in StL during that time to try and drum up support for a new stadium to attract an NFL team.
I got to meet Sweetness when he came to Jeff City lobbying for the St. Louis Stallions expansion team. Regulars will recall me posting the picture.

And more on topic, here's hoping that inducting DT into the HoF is the spark this team needs to play actually defense next fall and lead us to the SB.

shaneo69
01-15-2005, 03:29 PM
I got to meet Sweetness when he came to Jeff City lobbying for the St. Louis Stallions expansion team. Regulars will recall me posting the picture.

St. Louis Stallions. :thumb:

I was a Chiefs season ticket holder at the time, and would've remained one, but Tags f*cked us.

Deberg_1990
01-15-2005, 04:09 PM

Good point..so in an indirect way the Chiefs had a small hand in the Rams coming to St. Louis then.