PDA

View Full Version : success in the NFL

elvomito
01-16-2005, 02:36 AM
i was just thinking about bill cowher and his ups and downs in the seasons since they went to the superbowl and lost to dallas, on a larry brown INT.

how long has it been, 8 years? can't remember
his teams seem to be bad for a while then pop out of nowhere.

The chiefs need to have a clear plan of attack, like the steelers had last year.
they fixed their running game by adding a player.
they made a backup plan for a quarterback who was also a backup plan for a quaterback

It took them 3 players on offense to do it
1. Can we do it with 3 new players on defense?

or maybe the talent of the CBs keeping the receivers covered gave the d-line time to pressure.

Wallcrawler
01-16-2005, 04:10 AM
I think they could.

If they got at least a quality Cornerback and Middle linebacker I think they would have a shot. The third addition could be used at a number of places.

Free Safety if they arent confident in Shaunard Harts

Defensive end to have someone to complement Jared Allen's pass rushing

Outside linebacker because Fujita isnt really outstanding and Barber's knee injury was pretty bad.

And they could always use yet another Cornerback.

If they got 3 quality players added to the defense, I think they could turn it around, but the guys who are retained have absolutely got to learn how to tackle the ball carrier a lot better than they have in the past. The Chiefs' tackling was horrendous this year.

Manila-Chief
01-16-2005, 05:50 AM
Okay ... let's see ... just dreaming a little...

1. Kingless doesn't go on vacation and signs someone like Fred Snoot (sp?) ... that would be a dream coz CP likes to sit on the sideline and watch the action while the big name guys sign. Not saying Fred exactly but a CB who can play the position.

2. He signs a top flight LB .... I think we need a MLB but may need OLB???? At any rate we need help here.

3. The "W" boys return to "old" Gun form and play solid D again.

4. With a full camp Junior (forgot how to sp? his name) comes into his own and starts to push the pocket back into QB's faces.

5. Allen continues to develop and is even better this year.

See ... mostily it is D ... but there are other concerns...

6. Spc. teams become special again. Dante sets the record for return TD's but more importantly he returns to form and gives us great field postion once again.

7. The O takes it up another 1/2 notch ... either Wilson adds a lot of spark, Parker is allowed to develop into a #1 WR .... Boe returns to form .... Priest ... well, is Priest again ... meaning they score when they are suppose to score.

8. D.V. and the coaches have had a rude awaking and coach winning football.....

Note: I didn't mention CP drafting wisely or getting the picks signed and into camp ... coz, on a D.V. team I don't think rookies contribute much ... unless Kingless were to hit a home run on a CB or LB .... with D.V. a rookie rides the bench.

Will it happen? I think there is about a 50/50 chance....

Mile High Mania
01-16-2005, 08:13 AM
Cowher has always had a better than average defense, filling little holes each year. They've always had a running game and as you mentioned, made it deeper this year.

They were lucky with Big Ben falling to them and then Maddox getting hurt, it has been an unreal ride since that point.

Cowher's plan starts with defense.

Gaz
01-16-2005, 08:49 AM
FA:
1. A good MLB. MLB is the engine that drives the D and Mitchell is just not getting the job done. Maslowski is seriously damaged goods and is not starting material even with undamaged knees, IMO. Here is where I would spend major $$$.

2. A good OLB. A case can be [and has been] made for OLB over MLB. I do not agree with that assessment, but concur that OLB is a close second in our “immediate need” category. Depending on which players are available in FA, it is possible that the OLB pickings could be better than MLB, moving OLB to the top of the budget.

3. A solid, but not top-tier, CB. I would not spent megabucks, since CBs are no longer allowed to do anything. Still, we need better than Bartee or McCleon, even at a position the NFL is trying desperately to eliminate. Pass on the high-dollar guys and get a solid, dependable CB.

DRAFT:
OLB, CB & DE [in whichever order the best player is available]. DE is more critical to pass Defense and a rookie DE can contribute immediately, but I do not foresee a draftee DE ousting either Allen or Hicks. We are conspicuously light at OLB and need more depth at CB. If concur with the “one more year” theory, then you would put OLB above CB, as a rookie OLB can contribute quicker than CB. If we throw out logic and reason, gimme a DE to replace Hicks and CRUSH the pencil neck.

The weakness at Offense is WR. With Parker, Horn, Boerigter and Hall, I am willing to gamble that we can find a starter to play opposite Kennison [Morton, IMO, is history]. Sure, it is a risk, but the glaring deficit on Defense makes Offense a non-priority as far a major player moves in the off-season. I am intrigued by the idea of a 3TE set with Gonzalez, Dunn & Wilson.

There you have it. 3 players in FA to improve the Defense. Doable, IMO.

xoxo~
Gaz
Ready for the Chiefs D to rock.

LiL stumppy
01-16-2005, 12:40 PM
I think they could.

If they got at least a quality Cornerback and Middle linebacker I think they would have a shot. The third addition could be used at a number of places.

Free Safety if they arent confident in Shaunard Harts

Defensive end to have someone to complement Jared Allen's pass rushing

Outside linebacker because Fujita isnt really outstanding and Barber's knee injury was pretty bad.

And they could always use yet another Cornerback.

If they got 3 quality players added to the defense, I think they could turn it around, but the guys who are retained have absolutely got to learn how to tackle the ball carrier a lot better than they have in the past. The Chiefs' tackling was horrendous this year.

We don't need a MLB,Fujita gets the job done.We need a CB,OLB,DE.

Gaz
01-16-2005, 02:13 PM
We don't need a MLB,Fujita gets the job done.We need a CB,OLB,DE.

So are you counting on Mitchell or Maslowski as the starting MLB?

xoxo~
Gaz
Not thrilled with either option.

LiL stumppy
01-16-2005, 02:15 PM
So are you counting on Mitchell or Maslowski as the starting MLB?

xoxo~
Gaz
Not thrilled with either option.

Mitchell has steped it up latly.He has gone thorugh alot this year.I do belive he will be our starting MLB next year and he will do a better job then most think.I do think he will do a good job.

Valiant
01-16-2005, 02:48 PM
didnt the steelers trade up for rothlesberger..

dont the steelers have good drafts...

those are the key reasons they are back..

They draft well and then can add quality FA's..

-----------------------

the chiefs draft average at best for talent..

Then we have to add FA's to get talent since most of our top tier draftees are busts...

starters in bold...

Draft Tracker

Round · Team · Position · School · Alphabetical · Complete Draft Coverage

TEAMS: -- Select a Team --ArizonaAtlantaBaltimoreBuffaloCarolinaChicagoCincinnatiClevelandDallasDenverDetroitGreen BayHoustonIndianapolisJacksonvilleKansas CityMiamiMinnesotaNew EnglandNew OrleansN.Y. GiantsN.Y. JetsOaklandPhiladelphiaPittsburghSan DiegoSeattleSan FranciscoSt. LouisTampa BayTennesseeWashington

Pittsburgh
Rd Sel# Player Pos. Ht. Wt. School
1 11 Roethlisberger, Ben QB 6-4 242 Miami (Ohio)
2 38 Colclough, Ricardo CB 5-10 186 Tusculum -----backup
3 75 Starks, Max OT 6-7 359 Florida ----------backup
5 145 Adibi, Nathaniel DE 6-3 255 Virginia Tech ----not on team
6 177 Lacy, Bo OT 6-4 294 Arkansas ----not on team
6 194 Kranchick, Matt TE 6-6 258 Penn State -----3rd
6 197 Caylor, Drew C 6-5 288 Stanford -----not on team
7 212 Taylor, Eric DT 6-2 302 Memphis -----hurt

Round Pick Overall Name Position School
1 16 16 Troy Polamalu S Southern Cal
2 27 59 Alonzo Jackson LB Florida St. -------backup
4 28 125 Ike Taylor CB Lousiana-Lafayette --------backup
5 28 163 Brian St. Pierre QB Boston College -------backup
7 28 242 J.T. Wall FB Georgia ----------inactive

2002 Round Pick Overall Name Position School
1 30 30 Kendall Simmons OT Auburn-----starter/backup?
2 30 62 Antwaan Randel El WR Indiana ------backup
3 29 94 Chris Hope S Florida State
4 30 128 Larry Foote LB Michigan
5 31 166 Verron Hayes RB Georgia ----backup
6 30 202 Lee Mays WR Texas El-Paso ----backup
7 1 212 Lavar Glover CB Cincinnati ----not on team
7 31 242 Brett Keisel DE Brigham Young ---backup

cannot find the practice squad list.. but that is some sound drafting.. do not even want to compare to ours...dammit carl....