PDA

View Full Version : Mason & Rolle likely out in Tennessee

The Bad Guy
01-16-2005, 12:32 PM
Gunther needs to work his Nashville connection because both CB Samari Rolle and Derrick Mason are likely done as Titans because of their high base salary.

Mason is the perfect receiver for this offense. Great hands, great route runner and great speed.

Rolle, who has been hurt, is a top CB when he's healthy. But he won't cost as much as the Bailey's and Ty Law's of the world.

These are 2 guys that need to be Chiefs.

Discuss.

KCChiefsFan88
01-16-2005, 12:36 PM
Gunther needs to work his Nashville connection because both CB Samari Rolle and Derrick Mason are likely done as Titans because of their high base salary.

Mason is the perfect receiver for this offense. Great hands, great route runner and great speed.

Rolle, who has been hurt, is a top CB when he's healthy. But he won't cost as much as the Bailey's and Ty Law's of the world.

These are 2 guys that need to be Chiefs.

Discuss.

I'd love to see both of these guys in a Chiefs uniform but how feasible is that with the Chiefs salary cap situation

LiL stumppy
01-16-2005, 12:37 PM
We can't sign both,but I def would want Rolle

The Bad Guy
01-16-2005, 12:40 PM
We can't sign both,but I def would want Rolle

Why can't they sign both?

The Bad Guy
01-16-2005, 12:41 PM
I'd love to see both of these guys in a Chiefs uniform but how feasible is that with the Chiefs salary cap situation

The cap can be manipulated. Hell, it's Peterson's last year on his contract. If I was him, I'd go balls to the wall because after this year we are in for a long rebuilding period anyway regardless.

Mortgage the damn future to win it all.

Iowanian
01-16-2005, 12:43 PM
Considering the "salary cap" right now, is being based on contracts for next season. We know Johnny Morton is gone, and more than likely guys like Holiday.

There will be more room to move than we know, and the truth is, even the numbers they put out aren't firm.

LiL stumppy
01-16-2005, 12:46 PM
Why can't they sign both?

Cap problems

The Bad Guy
01-16-2005, 12:49 PM
Cap problems

Please.

Peterson has said they have money under the cap. I could care less what the figure is right now. Holliday, Barber, and Morton will all be gone.

Players will restructure.

The Chiefs can easily afford a bunch of players under the cap. It's the last year before Vermeil and whatever chronies ride off into the sunset - the salary cap doesn't matter.

Hoover
01-16-2005, 12:50 PM
Rolle will cost $$$$ but I think Mason would be reasonable. That said signing a WR early in FA is not a wise thing to do for this team. We need to fill holes on the D first. We need a LB, CB, then maybe we could look at a WR. Any WR we sign should be young (Under 30). Asl much as I like Mason, we don't need him.

DenverChief
01-16-2005, 12:54 PM
Please.

Peterson has said they have money under the cap. I could care less what the figure is right now. Holliday, Barber, and Morton will all be gone.

The Chiefs can easily afford a bunch of players under the cap. It's the last year before Vermeil and whatever chronies ride off into the sunset - the salary cap doesn't matter.

Barber? I'm not so sure about him but Morton, Holliday and hopefully Bartee

beavis
01-16-2005, 12:58 PM
Cap problems
We seem to be the only team in the NFL unable to manipulate the cap to get the players we want.

Ecto-I
01-16-2005, 01:01 PM
no argument here...

HC_Chief
01-16-2005, 01:02 PM
GET'R DONE! :thumb:

LiL stumppy
01-16-2005, 01:11 PM
Please.

If you have fallowed the Chiefs very long we rarly sign 1 impact FA.Plus signing the Rookies we draft.We won't have as muhc money as you think.

Big Chief Homer
01-16-2005, 01:12 PM
is rolle the one with all the neck problems? or is that dyson? I dont believe rolle has played a full season in 2 years.

with that being said,his neck problems couldnt be any worse than bartees and mccleons.

LiL stumppy
01-16-2005, 01:14 PM
is rolle the one with all the neck problems? or is that dyson? I dont believe rolle has played a full season in 2 years.

with that being said,his neck problems couldnt be any worse than bartees and mccleons.

ROFL

The Bad Guy
01-16-2005, 01:15 PM
If you have fallowed the Chiefs very long we rarly sign 1 impact FA.Plus signing the Rookies we draft.We won't have as muhc money as you think.

I've followed them for my whole life.

Very rarely sign an impact FA? They gave Barber and Holliday huge money 2 years ago along with paying Holmes and Green extensions.

But how do you know they don't have as much money? You are taking your opinion and trying to make it fact.

The Chiefs can sign whoever they want to. Contracts can be arranged to work under the cap. Caps can be manipulated.

LiL stumppy
01-16-2005, 01:17 PM
Ok,how well has Barber and Holliday done the past 2 years?We had 6 million under the salary cap this year,why didn't we sign a impact player?

Count Alex's Wins
01-16-2005, 01:34 PM
Mason doesn't have great speed but he is a great possession receiver and still has better speed than Morton. I'd LOVE to see the Chiefs bring him here.

Rolle would be great too.

Kclee
01-16-2005, 02:09 PM
Ok,how well has Barber and Holliday done the past 2 years?We had 6 million under the salary cap this year,why didn't we sign a impact player?

I think they didn't do much because they were delusional over last year. Imo, they figured, hey we went 13-3, we have a solid team, no need to panic and bring in a bunch of high money FA's. Obviously they were wrong to stand pat. Hopefully they learned their lesson and we sign some big time playmakers that will fit into what Gun wants to do.

LiL stumppy
01-16-2005, 02:11 PM
But wouldnt have the word D in the NFL tell them that they need to do something?

Kclee
01-16-2005, 02:17 PM
But wouldnt have the word D in the NFL tell them that they need to do something?

Yes, you would think. Again, the only thing I can guess is that they thought Gun would really make a difference. They were wrong. Is there really another explaination for what they did.(or really didn't do)

Bowser
01-16-2005, 02:19 PM
Both of these guys would be upgrades. Mason would be an upgrade over Morton, and I'm thinking Rolle would be an upgrade over every one of our corners with maybe Warfield as the exception. Go get them.

I agree with Bad Guy in saying that the cap shouldn't be an issue this year, with our coach and GM in their final years. But I guess the question becomes how much do free agents WANT to come here? As well liked as Vermeil is by his players, he has a reputation of running long, tough practices. That may be a deciding factor.

LiL stumppy
01-16-2005, 02:19 PM
Alot of people thought he would.I figured he would make a improvment,not a great one but a fairly good improvement.Guess I was wronge.

Deberg_1990
01-16-2005, 03:22 PM
Sweet deal. Id go balls to the walls after both of these guys. Mason/Kennison/Parker/Horn/Bo would be damn near impossible to stop at Wideouts. Rolle/Warfield/young stud 1st round CB would be awesume as well.

Pants
01-16-2005, 03:24 PM
I think we have two very good young recievers on the team, I do not see the need for Mason.

Cormac
01-16-2005, 04:07 PM
They both sound like excellent options to me. I wish we didn't have to spend any FA $ on offense, but if we let Morton go (and I have been a huge detractor of his) we will be lacking at WR. Hall is very poor...Boerigter is a big ?...and Samie Parker is on his way to becoming the most over-rated player in the league judging by what people are saying about him on this board (JMO). Mason would be an excellent choice. He's a very good player, and he plays his ass off. The only problem with these pick-ups is that we wouldn't have addressed LDE or OLB yet........:shake:

redsurfer11
01-16-2005, 04:35 PM
Rolle is a must sign at all costs. That is, if Gunther wants him. Its time for Gunther to pick his own players next year. I believe that if Gun makes the decisions on personel, the Chiefs defense can turn around.

Thig Lyfe
01-16-2005, 04:40 PM
either would be great addition

Pants
01-16-2005, 04:44 PM
They both sound like excellent options to me. I wish we didn't have to spend any FA $ on offense, but if we let Morton go (and I have been a huge detractor of his) we will be lacking at WR. Hall is very poor...Boerigter is a big ?...and Samie Parker is on his way to becoming the most over-rated player in the league judging by what people are saying about him on this board (JMO). Mason would be an excellent choice. He's a very good player, and he plays his ass off. The only problem with these pick-ups is that we wouldn't have addressed LDE or OLB yet........:shake:

Did you watch the Chiefs games? Seriously? I don't think Parker had one drop and all his catches were tough as shit. He also burned pretty much everybody when he got the chance. IMO Kennison, Horn and Parker will be a good WR corp.

HC_Chief
01-16-2005, 04:47 PM
Parker played in how many games? Three?

How many did Boerigter play in?
How about the second coming, errr Wilson?

How effective was Hall?

Morton had his best season as a Chief... are we assuming he'll play at the same level next year? Or is the assumption that an unproven will pick up the slack?

Count Alex's Wins
01-16-2005, 04:58 PM
Morton's gone.

Ultra Peanut
01-16-2005, 05:00 PM
Mason would be an AWESOME addition, as would Rolle.

Parker played in how many games? Three?

How many did Boerigter play in?
How about the second coming, errr Wilson?All three of them were hurt for the vast majority of the season, so PT's neither a damning nor representative qualifier as far as their ability is concerned.

Mason/Kennison/Hall/Bo/Parker's not too shabby looking at all.

HolmeZz
01-16-2005, 05:02 PM
In the time he's seen on the field, Parker's been very impressive. I don't see how you could argue otherwise.

Pants
01-16-2005, 05:04 PM
In the time he's seen on the field, Parker's been very impressive. I don't see how you could argue otherwise.

Exactly.

Ultra Peanut
01-16-2005, 05:10 PM
In the time he's seen on the field, Parker's been very impressive. I don't see how you could argue otherwise.Agreed. He looked even better than I expected, and I expected him to be at least fairly decent in his rookie year.

Hell, he was the first pick of the draft I didn't curse about.

HC_Chief
01-16-2005, 05:26 PM
Mason/Kennison/Hall/Bo/Parker's not too shabby looking at all.

Agreed. My point was it would be pretty stupid to go into next season expecting a second-year, mid-round pick at wideout with virtually nil experience to pick up the slack for an exiting vet who had just completed his best season in KC.

That'd be like expecting a DC alone to turn around one of the most pathetic defenses in the league.

Oh...wait....

Spicy McHaggis
01-16-2005, 05:53 PM
FWIW Mason is already 31. He'd be great for next season but he's not got too much more left in the tank than EK or Morton.

Count Alex's Wins
01-16-2005, 05:55 PM
FWIW Mason is already 31. He'd be great for next season but he's not got too much more left in the tank than EK or Morton.

Who cares? This franchise is going to hell after next season anyway.

The Bad Guy
01-16-2005, 06:18 PM
I think we have two very good young recievers on the team, I do not see the need for Mason.

What?

Please name the 2 very good receivers we have period.

Sammie Parker playing in 2 games and making some decent catches doesn't qualify him as very good.

Ultra Peanut
01-16-2005, 07:21 PM
FWIW Mason is already 31.Wrong.

TOMORROW's his 31st birthday!

sparkky
01-16-2005, 08:57 PM
Mason will be 31 on 1/17/05
Jerry Porter will be 27 on 07-14-1978. All things being equal, give me Porter, plus he is familiar with Dbacks in the division.
Rolle is 28.
Fred Smoot is 25.
Here, I'd rather have Smoot.
Smoot and Porter are UFA's, while Rolle and Mason would have to be cut or traded for.
Give me Smoot and Porter.
All this being said, I'm about convinced nowadays the key to controlling the passing game is getting pressure on the qb. Depending on the refs of the game, you just can't hardly touch the WR's anymore kind of negating how good a DB is. See Bailey here.

Pants
01-16-2005, 09:12 PM
Sammie Parker playing in 2 games and making some decent catches doesn't qualify him as very good.

Seemed to have worked for LJ. I don't know but Parker looked real damn good, considering he was a rook too. He'll only be better after the offseason (unless he gets injred, knock knock knock), Horn looked damn good as well, he did have some drops, but who doesn't. And unlike a certain veteran on our team, they aren't afraid of getting hit.

Cormac
01-17-2005, 10:14 AM
Did you watch the Chiefs games? Seriously? I don't think Parker had one drop and all his catches were tough as shit. He also burned pretty much everybody when he got the chance. IMO Kennison, Horn and Parker will be a good WR corp.

I never said Parker was bad. I never said Parker couldn't play. But if we go into next season with him as starting wideout, we'll likely be seriously disappointed. He has played in FOUR games. He has started ZERO. He has NINE catches. He learned 12 weeks into the season how to play ONE position, and one position only. Sure, let's start him.......he's.....umm...fast. He needs to prove a lot more for me to jump on the start Samie bandwagon.

Oh, and yeah, I did watch the games :rolleyes:

Ultra Peanut
01-17-2005, 10:15 AM
HAPPY BIRTHDAY, DERRICK!

bricks
01-17-2005, 10:50 AM
I would love to have both. And I think we can afford both. But, the signing of both Mason and Rolle would eliminate our other MAIN needs such as LB, and DL. Rolle would come at a less effective price than Law, plus, he is younger. I'd sign Rolle. He should be priority #1. I wouldn't sign Mason. We have to go for a LB instead. More important. We don't need a stud WR, we can score a ton of points anyway.

Hoover
01-17-2005, 10:59 AM
I think we need a starting Corner and 2 LB's in Free agency if we are goign to turn the D around.

Rolle, Julian Peterson, and Trotter would do for me.

We would shell out big contracts for Rolle and Peterson.

bricks
01-17-2005, 11:02 AM
I think we need a starting Corner and 2 LB's in Free agency if we are goign to turn the D around.

Rolle, Julian Peterson, and Trotter would do for me.

We would shell out big contracts for Rolle and Peterson.

I could handle that to. The contracts for Rolle and Peterson are worth it.

beavis
01-17-2005, 11:57 AM
What?

Please name the 2 very good receivers we have period.

I get sick of all the Boerigter hype around here. The guy has done absolutely nothing to prove he deserves to even be in the league.

I would love to see Parker take the #3 spot next year though. I think all the guy needs is some playing time.

Hoover
01-17-2005, 12:04 PM
I get sick of all the Boerigter hype around here. The guy has done absolutely nothing to prove he deserves to even be in the league.

While part of me agrees with you. Boerigter did catch 8 TDs a couple years ago. I'm fine with him being on the team as the 4th or 5th WR. He is also our best Special Teams player IMO.

To say he does not deserves to be in the league is just stupid.

Wile_E_Coyote
01-17-2005, 12:07 PM
Titans in bad cap shape http://tennessean.com/sports/titans/archives/05/01/64198712.shtml?Element_ID=64198712

Cormac
01-17-2005, 12:58 PM
I think Boerigter can contribute if he recovers from his injury. But that's a big "if". We could use him, that's for sure.