PDA

View Full Version : Barret Robbins

Wile_E_Coyote
01-16-2005, 12:45 PM
<A name=212166>Raiders | Ex-Center Robbins Shot by Police in Burglary - from www.KFFL.com
Sun, 16 Jan 2005 10:20:05 -0800The Associated Press reports former Oakland Raiders (http://www.kffl.com/team/28/nfl) C Barret Robbins (http://www.kffl.com/player/1372/nfl) was shot by police, who were investigating a burglary in progress at a South Beach office, according to authorities. Robbins sustained multiple gunshot wounds in the torso Saturday night, Jan. 15, after Miami Beach police found him inside an administrative office that houses a nightclub, a gym and a jewelry store. Robbins reportedly was confronted by an officer, which led to a violent struggle before Robbins was shot. Robbins was rushed to Jackson Memorial Hospital in critical condition late Saturday and has not been charged in the case. Robbins is best remembered for disappearing the night before the Super Bowl in 2003, blaming depression as the cause for his misbehavior.

Garcia Bronco
01-16-2005, 12:47 PM
I remember when cops could arrest people without shooting them.

Bob Dole
01-16-2005, 12:48 PM
Even if he was a dirty stinking Raider, it's too bad the guy apparently never got his mental health in order.

Iowanian
01-16-2005, 12:49 PM
My guess is a 320lb Insane Offensive Lineman is probably quite a bit for any cop to handle.

Robbins is a seriously effed up dude. He's lucky if he's not dead. That cat needs medicated or locked up in the looney bin.

Demonpenz
01-16-2005, 12:50 PM
when your that mentally ill and you still abuse alchohol, results can't be good

Skip Towne
01-16-2005, 12:56 PM
Multiple gunshot wounds....sounds like the first one or two didn't stop him. Lock that f*cker up.

chief52
01-16-2005, 01:04 PM
Sad that anyone's life can get that out of hand. I am sure many people tried very hard to help him get on track. He is definitely mentally ill...

siberian khatru
01-16-2005, 01:05 PM

Being a Raider probably doesn't help either.

Rain Man
01-16-2005, 01:21 PM
There's not going to be a happy ending to Robbins' story. That's too bad.

Mr. Laz
01-16-2005, 01:26 PM

nope ... no happy ending in sight

dude's brain pan is messed up and i don't see anything happening that is going to fix it.

Valiant
01-16-2005, 01:33 PM

I want to see you arrest a 300lb man that is fighting with you...

craneref
01-16-2005, 02:07 PM
Maybe the cop was a Radier fan and was just doing what any self respecting fan would do to a player from their favorite team ditched the team :cuss: the night before your team gets ROCKED in the Super Bowl. Could have had nothing to do with the struggle. :p

Mosbonian
01-16-2005, 02:13 PM

That was before it became easy to have a gun, people had more of a conscience, and people actually wanted to earn a living rather than make a "fast buck".

mmaddog

Cochise
01-16-2005, 02:20 PM
Clearly he is disturbed by all the times that Rich Gannon put his hands between his legs. And for playing center for him too.

4th and Long
01-16-2005, 02:46 PM
<A name=212166>Raiders | Ex-Center Robbins Shot by Police in Burglary - from www.KFFL.com
Sun, 16 Jan 2005 10:20:05 -0800The Associated Press reports former Oakland Raiders (http://www.kffl.com/team/28/nfl) C Barret Robbins (http://www.kffl.com/player/1372/nfl) was shot by police, who were investigating a burglary in progress at a South Beach office, according to authorities. Robbins sustained multiple gunshot wounds in the torso Saturday night, Jan. 15, after Miami Beach police found him inside an administrative office that houses a nightclub, a gym and a jewelry store. Robbins reportedly was confronted by an officer, which led to a violent struggle before Robbins was shot. Robbins was rushed to Jackson Memorial Hospital in critical condition late Saturday and has not been charged in the case. Robbins is best remembered for disappearing the night before the Super Bowl in 2003, blaming depression as the cause for his misbehavior.
Robbins shot by police investigating burglary
Associated Press
Posted: 1 hour ago

MIAMI BEACH, Fla. (AP) - Former Pro Bowl center Barret Robbins was shot several times when he struggled with a police officer investigating a burglary at a South Beach office.

Robbins was taken to a hospital Saturday night in critical condition. An update on the condition of the former Oakland Raiders offensive lineman, who went AWOL during the 2003 Super Bowl, was not immediately available Sunday morning.

Miami Beach police said Robbins was confronted by a detective investigating a burglary report in a building that houses a nightclub, gym and jewelry store. Robbins and the detective had a &quot;violent struggle&quot; before Robbins was shot, police spokesman Bobby Hernandez said.

&quot;The officer was literally fighting for his life, trying to get Mr. Robbins from getting his gun. That's when the shots rang out,&quot; Hernandez said.

Robbins, 31, was shot several times in the torso, Hernandez said. Detective Mike Muley, who fired the shots, had minor head injuries from the scuffle and was treated and released from a hospital.

Robbins was taken to Ryder Trauma Center at Jackson Memorial Hospital. Hernandez did not immediately have Robbins' condition Sunday, and a hospital official did not immediately return a page.

Hernandez said Robbins had not yet been charged in the case because authorities had not been able to interview him.

Robbins was arrested last month in San Francisco for hitting a security guard at a night club.

The often-troubled player is best remembered for disappearing the night before the 2003 Super Bowl in San Diego. He spent Super Bowl Sunday in a hospital and later acknowledged that he had stopped taking his medicine for depression and bipolar disorder. The Raiders lost 48-21 to Tampa Bay.

Robbins was released by Oakland in July, a week after he and two other players were fined three game checks for testing positive for the steroid THG.

Robbins played all nine of his pro seasons with Oakland and made the Pro Bowl after the 2002 season, but did not play in the game. A year after missing the final 14 games of 2001 with an injured right knee, he was a pivotal part of an offensive line that helped the Raiders produce the league's top offense.

Garcia Bronco
01-16-2005, 03:03 PM
I want to see you arrest a 300lb man that is fighting with you...

Seen my Dad do it when he was a police officer at an outdoor event in Portsmouth, VA called Harbor Fest. The guy might have been around 275, but he didn't have to shoot him.

This guy should have called for back up....which will be said in his review.

Garcia Bronco
01-16-2005, 03:09 PM
That was before it became easy to have a gun, people had more of a conscience, and people actually wanted to earn a living rather than make a "fast buck".

mmaddog

I agree with the conscience part(cops included)...but people have always wanted a fast buck...and guns have always been easy to get.

Mosbonian
01-16-2005, 03:10 PM
Seen my Dad do it when he was a police officer at an outdoor event in Portsmouth, VA called Harbor Fest. The guy might have been around 275, but he didn't have to shoot him.

I won't argue that sometimes there are law enforcement officers that are quick with a gun, but for my money, the criminals have gotten more ruthless and heartless.

The criminal contingent is more heavily armed, thinks it a badge of honor when they do away with the law, and has no conscience. If I was an officer of the law and i wanted to make sure I went home to my family every night, I would always believe the worst and hope for the best.

JMO....

mmaddog

Mosbonian
01-16-2005, 03:13 PM
I agree with the conscience part(cops included)...but people have always wanted a fast buck...and guns have always been easy to get.

You're right...crime has been with us forever. But would you agree the type of guns or ammunition that is available to the criminal element is more destructive than in prior times?

mmaddog

Garcia Bronco
01-16-2005, 03:13 PM
I won't argue that sometimes there are law enforcement officers that are quick with a gun, but for my money, the criminals have gotten more ruthless and heartless.

The criminal contingent is more heavily armed, thinks it a badge of honor when they do away with the law, and has no conscience. If I was an officer of the law and i wanted to make sure I went home to my family every night, I would always believe the worst and hope for the best.

JMO....

mmaddog

Point taken

RedNeckRaider
01-16-2005, 03:20 PM
Yeah football aside it is just a sad story. Great talent could have saved this guy, however that same talent may have caused people to overlook red flags. I hold no hard fellings towards Robbins and hope he lives and rebuilds his life. Life often reminds us what matters, and it damn sure is not a silly game.

WilliamTheIrish
01-16-2005, 03:25 PM

That's all well and good, but we are not reading the actual report. For all we know BR may have surprised the officer and when it's a choice if using deadly force vs dying myself, I land on the side of deadly force.

It would be of great interest to me to follow this story up and get the actual report.

DanT
01-16-2005, 03:36 PM
He shouldn't be written off just because he's in a bad way. There's always hope for people. He made it off of the Raiders. He can beat this, too.

4th and Long
01-16-2005, 03:39 PM
He shouldn't be written off just because he's in a bad way. There's always hope for people. He made it off of the Raiders. He can beat this, too.
He didnt "make it off the Raiders." They canned his sorry ass when he tested positive for THG.

DanT
01-16-2005, 03:42 PM
He didnt "make it off the Raiders." They canned his sorry ass when he tested positive for THG.

I was just kidding about the Raiders.

I do think that there is always hope for people, though.

Rain Man
01-16-2005, 03:45 PM
I was just kidding about the Raiders.

I do think that there is always hope for people, though.

That reminds me. Anyone seen slayer recently? He doesn't seem to be around much.

Cochise
01-16-2005, 03:47 PM
:rolleyes:

If he didn't want to get shot he shouldn't have been breaking into places and trying to take an officers' gun.

Unbelivable that people will cry abot him getting shot when what he was trying to do was get the officer's gun so he could use it on them!

RedNeckRaider
01-16-2005, 03:54 PM
:rolleyes:

If he didn't want to get shot he shouldn't have been breaking into places and trying to take an officers' gun.

Unbelivable that people will cry abot him getting shot when what he was trying to do was get the officer's gun so he could use it on them!
I posted and it may have sounded like I sided with Robbins. That is not the case, it is just a sad story. As far as the cop, it is pretty easy, he has a gun you are the suspect, he says stop, you chose to fight, well that does not workout very well for the suspect very often.

Garcia Bronco
01-16-2005, 04:02 PM
That's all well and good, but we are not reading the actual report. For all we know BR may have surprised the officer and when it's a choice if using deadly force vs dying myself, I land on the side of deadly force.

It would be of great interest to me to follow this story up and get the actual report.

I think it's common knowledge that self-defense with deadly force in kind is proper. However....with proper tactics...one doesn't have ot put themselves in that situation. So far...sounds like one detective went into a building alone. Those aren't proper tactics.

KCJake
01-16-2005, 05:26 PM
This was before cops became p***** with guys

ENDelt260
01-17-2005, 03:16 PM
Doesn't stop me anyway.

Valiant
01-17-2005, 04:46 PM

the paper today in the star said robbins was wrestling with officer and trying to get his gun... Seems like a perfect example to shoot the guy...

Valiant
01-17-2005, 04:56 PM
I think it's common knowledge that self-defense with deadly force in kind is proper. However....with proper tactics...one doesn't have ot put themselves in that situation. So far...sounds like one detective went into a building alone. Those aren't proper tactics.

If he went in thinking no one was there or there was no reason to think of a dangerous situation then yes... If you see a broken window, you investigate... If you think something could be wrong you radio for backup, if not you go in and investigate...

If he didnt think robbins or somebody else was in there, then it would have been under proper technique... But if I tell a person to halt that was coming towards me I am going to shoot his ass also...

-----------------------

There are only two ways i would have seen this event turning out..

A: the way it happened

or

B: Robbins getting the gun, shooting the officer and then killing himself...