PDA

View Full Version : I hope DV and Carl are taking notes (finally)

Chiefs Pantalones
01-16-2005, 10:06 PM
The teams that are remaining are balanced. well-coached TEAMS. Talented defenses. Defenses with superstars on them. They all have pretty good offenses, but they are balanced teams overall, not half-teams like KC is. All have good special teams as well.

KCJake
01-16-2005, 10:12 PM
Your probably right, but these "balanced. well-coached TEAMS" sure are boring to watch.

milkman
01-16-2005, 10:16 PM
Your probably right, but these "balanced. well-coached TEAMS" sure are boring to watch.

I'll take "boring" if it gets us to a freakin' SB!

I'm sick of the excitement of the last 35 years.

Bob Dole
01-16-2005, 10:21 PM
The teams that are remaining are balanced. well-coached TEAMS. Talented defenses. Defenses with superstars on them. They all have pretty good offenses, but they are balanced teams overall, not half-teams like KC is. All have good special teams as well.

So who is the "superstar" on the Patriot's defense?

KCJake
01-16-2005, 10:23 PM

Sorry man, not going to happen. You can't change the entire make-up of a team in one off-season. We have to acquire 3-4 guys, via draft/free-agency, that can make this defense respectable.

ChiTown
01-16-2005, 10:23 PM

LMAO ROFL

Yeah, give me that phuggin sewing match I watched today between the Colts and Pat's vs. the Chiefs 7-9 thriller season. I'd just about kill to be in the SB this year :banghead:

Chiefs Pantalones
01-16-2005, 10:27 PM

They have talent, which is much more than KC has. McGinnest would be one, Law would be another, although they are doing all this without Law. Bruschi, Harrison, etc. They have talent, or they wouldn't be where they are. They have the best LBs in the NFL, but don't get recognition because they aren't showboaters. Their whole team is VERY talented, they just don't go around pulling out the sharpies or whatever; very business-like. They are vastly underrated as far as the talent on their D goes, and have probably the smartest defense in the league. Belichik doesn't go out there and make plays, the players do. They just don't get a lot of the credit for some reason.

They are probably the most balanced team in the playoffs, but the Steelers will have something to say about that next week. Should be a great game.

milkman
01-16-2005, 10:31 PM
Sorry man, not going to happen. You can't change the entire make-up of a team in one off-season. We have to acquire 3-4 guys, via draft/free-agency, that can make this defense respectable.

I'm aware of this.

Point is, winning football isn't boring to the the fans of winners.

tk13
01-16-2005, 10:35 PM
Belichik doesn't go out their and make plays, the players do.

I don't know about that. Their starting corners were a 2nd year nickel corner (4th round pick), an undrafted rookie, and a wide reciever who they converted to a CB in mid-season. And today they shut down one of the greatest passing teams in the history of professional football. I don't believe for a second that's just simply superior talent...

milkman
01-16-2005, 10:38 PM
I don't know about that. Their starting corners were a 2nd year nickel corner (4th round pick), an undrafted rookie, and a wide reciever who they converted to a CB in mid-season. And today they shut down one of the greatest passing teams in the history of professional football. I don't believe for a second that's just simply superior talent...

JMO, but I think it shows how important a superior, physical front 7 is to defensive success.

tk13
01-16-2005, 10:40 PM
JMO, but I think it shows how important a superior, physical front 7 is to defensive success.
I totally agree, but even that front 7 was missing it's best player today (Seymour). It didn't matter one bit. I don't think there's another team in the league that could completely be unaffected by major injuries like that....

milkman
01-16-2005, 10:47 PM
I totally agree, but even that front 7 was missing it's best player today (Seymour). It didn't matter one bit. I don't think there's another team in the league that could completely be unaffected by major injuries like that....

Agreed.
Belechick, and Crennel, get a lot of credit for creative game plans, and preparation.
I also think that the staff gets a lot of credit for good coaching, and the scouting staff gets credit for finding coachable players.

But it still comes down to the players executing when the games are being played, and a big part of that is playing the physical style that Belichick hopes for.

wutamess
01-16-2005, 10:57 PM

:eek:
Are youy serious dude?

Do any of these players turn on the light bulb?:
Vrabel, McGinnest, Law, Seymour, Bruschi, Harrison, Colvin

~ Please tell me you were kidding!

Bob Dole
01-16-2005, 11:24 PM
:eek:
Are youy serious dude?

Do any of these players turn on the light bulb?:
Vrabel, McGinnest, Law, Seymour, Bruschi, Harrison, Colvin

~ Please tell me you were kidding!

Evidently your definition of "superstar" is significantly different than Bob Dole's.

Outstanding, solid talent doesn't make a guy a "superstar." A player who can consistently and single-handedly change the game, like a Lawrence Taylor, or a Derrick Thomas or dare Bob Dole say, a Ray Lewis a couple of years ago, is a "superstar." There's swagger and charisma typically involved most of the time, too.

The Patriots are a talented, cohesive group of fundementally solid ball players who function well as a team. They pride themselves on <b>not</b> having any superstars who demand individual attention.

Just being better than anyone on the KC defense does not make a player a "superstar." If the original topic starter had left out "Defenses with superstars on them," Bob Dole would be in total agreement.

KCJake
01-16-2005, 11:29 PM
Evidently your definition of "superstar" is significantly different than Bob Dole's.

Outstanding, solid talent doesn't make a guy a "superstar." A player who can consistently and single-handedly change the game, like a Lawrence Taylor, or a Derrick Thomas or dare Bob Dole say, a Ray Lewis a couple of years ago, is a "superstar." There's swagger and charisma typically involved most of the time, too.

The Patriots are a talented, cohesive group of fundementally solid ball players who function well as a team. They pride themselves on <b>not</b> having any superstars who demand individual attention.

Just being better than anyone on the KC defense does not make a player a "superstar." If the original topic starter had left out "Defenses with superstars on them," Bob Dole would be in total agreement.

Damn, after reading that post.....I would say, Bob Dole is one of the baddest mother******* around

Chiefs Pantalones
01-16-2005, 11:32 PM

Well, if they aren't any superstar players on that D, then they are a superstar defense as a whole then, which makes them better than most in the league right now having that much talent spread out. They do make game changing plays. Have been for the past 2 to 3 years.

I agree, comparing the Pats D to the Chiefs D shouldn't make them superstars...but it does. Just look at them. Heck, Troy Brown could start at CB for us, and he's not even a fulltime CB ROFL, and he would be a superstar compared to the crap we have. Boy are we in a shithole on defense.

wutamess
01-16-2005, 11:39 PM

Your post is 100% Agreeable.

Ty Law is a low-key superstar though.
He's possibly top 5 cb in the league.
also Seymour & McGinnest are up there also.
Bruschi CONTINUOUSLY makes plays.

They're a humble bunch, but just because they're a humble, team-oriented group doesn't mean that some of them aren't superstars.

Although I don't see any of them in the same light as a DT or LT, Ty Law has/had the ability to change games single handedly.

DaWolf
01-17-2005, 01:42 AM
I'm sure Vermeil is well aware of this, since his Super Bowl win came with the No 1 rated offense and the No 6 rated defense in the NFL.

The thing the Patriots have is an excellent coaching staff which is well attuned to utilizing their players to the best of their abilities. Maybe we shoulda hired Eric Mangini (Pats DB coach) to be our DC. What he did with that makeshift secondary was unbelievable.

Actually the Patriots in an odd way prove Carl's longstanding philosophy to be correct. Throughout the 90's his mantra was that he wanted to field the best 53 players, not necessarially the best 11. That's what the Pats have become good at. Sadly for us, we've lost sight of that during the end of the Marty era and throughout the Gun and DV eras...

Amnorix
01-17-2005, 05:07 AM

Winning is never boring when it's your team doing it. Trust me on this...

Amnorix
01-17-2005, 05:08 AM
The thing the Patriots have is an excellent coaching staff which is well attuned to utilizing their players to the best of their abilities. Maybe we shoulda hired Eric Mangini (Pats DB coach) to be our DC. What he did with that makeshift secondary was unbelievable.

He probably would not have accepted the offer, even if made. He turned down the DC job of the Raiders, which was offered to him before it was offered to Rob Ryan.

Mangini knows he's the next DC of the NEP, as soon as Romeo leaves...

Rausch
01-17-2005, 05:43 AM
Since CP has promoted me to official CP mouthpiece for the Organization I have been asked to offer this to 2/3 of the posters on this thread...

http://www.herbpalace.com/womens-health/kotex.jpg

ChiTown
01-17-2005, 08:22 AM
Since CP has promoted me to official CP mouthpiece for the Organization I have been asked to offer this to 2/3 of the posters on this thread...

http://www.herbpalace.com/womens-health/kotex.jpg

Thanks, and as a blind, brainless homer, here's yours: