PDA

View Full Version : Chargers are screwed

carlos3652
01-16-2005, 09:31 PM
Dont know if anyone posted this, but Marty got a 2 year extension, so he is a Charger until 2007... and Brees was intervied nd said he wants a long term contract... A.J Smith and Marty didnt comment, but they will franchise him and trade him by the end of next year, making Rivers their qb... The reason Brees started this year is because Rivers held out of training camp...

Source: ESPN

I wouldnt mind seeing Brees with a Chiefs uniform in 2006... Marty will screw this up, if Rivers starts next year it will be another 4 years before the Chargers make the playoffs...

Your opinions please...

Rain Man
01-16-2005, 10:32 PM
Every time I've seen Brees I've liked him (with the caveat that I've generally only seen him face the Career Day Defense).

I agree that the Chargers are screwed on this one. They can't keep Brees and toss away a high #1 pick, so they're going to have to ditch a pretty good quarterback to pave the way for an inexperienced and unproven one.

KcMizzou
01-16-2005, 10:39 PM
Every time I've seen Brees I've liked him (with the caveat that I've generally only seen him face the Career Day Defense).
That's usually when I like him least...

go bowe
01-16-2005, 10:41 PM
That's usually when I like him least...:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

not that it really mattered this year, we sucked so bad... :( :( :(

Rain Man
01-16-2005, 10:51 PM
That's usually when I like him least...

Oh. Yeah. I should have said that I grudgingly admired him.

The Bad Guy
01-16-2005, 11:10 PM
Brees wants to get a huge payday (which he should) and he's going to want to go somewhere to start immediately.

We have no chance of adding him.

Chiefs Pantalones
01-16-2005, 11:49 PM
Does this mean Rivers will QB the team this upcoming season?

I've read somewhere (maybe here) that the only reason Brees performed so well this year was because they drafted Rivers and he knew it was his last year so he wanted to leave but get PAYED a lot somewhere else. Also heard that he doesn't like to play the game, only played hard to get a hefty FA contract somewhere else or something. Don't know how concrete this stuff is, but if so, the Chargers are stuck with a rookie QB and will probably be back in the cellar of the AFC West this year, as long as the Chiefs don't get there first.

htismaqe
01-17-2005, 07:14 AM
Brees is a flash in the pan.

Skip Towne
01-17-2005, 07:45 AM
Brees is a flash in the pan.
Either that or he is just a slow learner.

Always Charger
01-17-2005, 07:59 AM
Yep...We resigned a coach of the Year, 21 mill under the cap...2 first round picks...

really screwed......

KCFalcon59
01-17-2005, 08:36 AM
Yep...We resigned a coach of the Year, 21 mill under the cap...2 first round picks...

really screwed......

I like Marty. He is a good coach. Having said that, did you like that playoff game? Get used to it. That is the way it will be every stinking time they get there.

Alphaman
01-17-2005, 08:43 AM
IF Rivers starts, next years Chargers are this years Bengals.

2bikemike
01-17-2005, 08:50 AM

really screwed......

I agree you guys are in great shape. Just don't make any big Super Bowl plans. Marty is gonna break your hearts for the next 2 years.

I think Brees will play under the franchise tag next year and then be gone. Rivers will have a better understanding of whats going on by the time he gets his shot.

IMHO the biggest change for the Chargers was their O-line improvement. And those guys should just get better. Rivers will reap that benefit and he has LaDanian to help him out as well. I think he will do allright.

morphius
01-17-2005, 08:55 AM
Marty always gets 1 good year out of his mediocre QB, now he will probably be stuck bringing Brees back, and then by halfway through next season Chargers fans will be wondering what happened to the high scoring offense they saw this year? If Brees gets injured for a week, look forward to the hellish QB controversy.

Morphius
Doesn't miss marty one bit.

BigMeatballDave
01-17-2005, 08:57 AM

really screwed......You'll NEVER win a SB with Marty.

Hoover
01-17-2005, 08:57 AM
I really wonder how this Brees stuff will work out. Will a team give up 2 first round picks for him? I just don't see it.

I think Brees would be in stud in Arizona with their young WRs.

Always Charger
01-17-2005, 09:42 AM
I agree you guys are in great shape. Just don't make any big Super Bowl plans. Marty is gonna break your hearts for the next 2 years.

I think Brees will play under the franchise tag next year and then be gone. Rivers will have a better understanding of whats going on by the time he gets his shot.

IMHO the biggest change for the Chargers was their O-line improvement. And those guys should just get better. Rivers will reap that benefit and he has LaDanian to help him out as well. I think he will do allright.

Marty has changed. We had a chance of winning that game, but missed the FG...MArty didn´t miss it. I would have called the same plays....Most coaches would´ve......

As for Brees, I agree with you. Play next year with Brees unless someone gives us 2 first rounders for him.....Still think it would be a mistake to trade him. He´s the best QB wevé had in this team for the last 10 years....

Our O-Line did great this year. Thanks to the coach, Hudson Huock, who, rumors say, he want to be payed big time....He deserves it, Bolts FO better pay up, he deserves it, and if not, many many teams would want him.....

I still belivve that Marty wont choke when having the opportunity again, but in that matter you guys have lots more experience than us..

Anyway, next season is a promising one..

KCFalcon59
01-17-2005, 09:43 AM
Marty has changed.

Keep telling yourself that. We know the truth.

Always Charger
01-17-2005, 09:49 AM
Keep telling yourself that. We know the truth.

You are right....You know this guy way more than I do. Youvé seen it all with him...Great seasons, trash playoffs...Happend with us this post season, but I still think we didn´t lose our game vs Jets because of Marty.

Iowanian
01-17-2005, 11:04 AM

really screwed......

Martyball was great in the playoffs eh.....

You've got a 1 year proven TE who is going to want a Fat Contract, 1/3 of the salary cap sunken into 1 position if the Bolts Tag Brees, and will have to eat his signing bonus if trading him. and 2 first round draft picks to sign.

That patchwork offensive line overperformed this season, your secondary is full of holes, even though the Bolts have Multiple First-second round picks spent on the postion.

Start Rivers next year, and The bolts are the Bengals with a great RB, minus Chad Johnson.

Good luck with that first year starting QB, average WR corps, Journeyman Offensive Line and First place schedule.

CHIEF4EVER
01-17-2005, 11:12 AM
I still belivve that Marty wont choke when having the opportunity again

Poor guy. He is in for a nasty 2 or 3 years. I can only hope that if the dude's family has ANY history of heart conditions, that he will seek medical advice before watching this season.

Always Charger
01-17-2005, 01:04 PM
Poor guy. He is in for a nasty 2 or 3 years. I can only hope that if the dude's family has ANY history of heart conditions, that he will seek medical advice before watching this season.

Maybe you can give me some advice after this season...

:hmmm:

(j/k)

2bikemike
01-17-2005, 01:44 PM
Marty has changed. We had a chance of winning that game, but missed the FG...MArty didn´t miss it. I would have called the same plays....Most coaches would´ve......

As for Brees, I agree with you. Play next year with Brees unless someone gives us 2 first rounders for him.....Still think it would be a mistake to trade him. He´s the best QB wevé had in this team for the last 10 years....

Our O-Line did great this year. Thanks to the coach, Hudson Huock, who, rumors say, he want to be payed big time....He deserves it, Bolts FO better pay up, he deserves it, and if not, many many teams would want him.....

I still belivve that Marty wont choke when having the opportunity again, but in that matter you guys have lots more experience than us..

Marty will always go conservative in the playoffs. That is the reason he has such a poor post season record. Marty put the game on a rookie kickers shoulders from 40 yards out on a wet rainy game. Marty was willing to settle for a FG. He should have kept driving the ball down the field trying to get closer.

By all rights the Chargers should have lost in regulation if it weren't for the brain fart of Barton throwing a forearm to Brees head.

htismaqe
01-17-2005, 01:53 PM
Either that or he is just a slow learner.

The beneficiary of a great system, just like in college.

OK, so maybe he might be pretty good here.

htismaqe
01-17-2005, 01:54 PM
3 runs right up the center's ass to setup a 40-yard FG...in the rain...with a rookie kicker...

Yep, Marty has changed.

:rolleyes:

2bikemike
01-17-2005, 01:56 PM
3 runs right up the center's ass to setup a 40-yard FG...in the rain...with a rookie kicker...

Yep, Marty has changed.

Oh but this time he learned his lesson! :rolleyes: ROFL

CHIEF4EVER
01-17-2005, 01:58 PM

Yep, Marty has changed.

ROFL So sad yet so true.

My favorite Marty trickery was the old "it's 3rd and 8, lets run it up the gut and fool em" play. Or the "it's 3rd and 9, lets throw a swing pass" play.

Chiefnj
01-17-2005, 02:18 PM
Does Marty call the offensive plays??

htismaqe
01-17-2005, 02:21 PM
Does Marty call the offensive plays??

No, but he hires guys like Paul Hackett and Cam Cameron.

htismaqe
01-17-2005, 02:22 PM
Not to mention the fact, that given the situation, he could have got on the horn and said "Cam, whatever you do...I've been here before...don't call 3 runs right up the center's ass."

Valiant
01-17-2005, 03:52 PM

You sound like us a long time ago...

Your guys play-calling during the playoffs was no where near the playcalling that got you there... Marty has done this for almost twenty years, that is his M.O.

You guys are great cap-wise, but realistically you need to think about what the team will be like with a new-born QB... The Rothlesberger success is a abnormality not the norm...

Brock
01-17-2005, 04:06 PM
You are right....You know this guy way more than I do. Youvé seen it all with him...Great seasons, trash playoffs...Happend with us this post season, but I still think we didn´t lose our game vs Jets because of Marty.

There's always a different reason for Marty to lose in the playoffs every year. He's very creative in finding ways to lose.

Rain Man
01-17-2005, 04:13 PM
There's always a different reason for Marty to lose in the playoffs every year. He's very creative in finding ways to lose.

If he coached long enough, it'd be interesting to see all of the variations.

1. His kicker accidentally swings the wrong foot and falls down on the last-second field goal.

2. The other team's hail mary hits a bird and falls into the hands of a waiting receiver.

3. A defensive tackle's appendix bursts, causing him to fall down and leave a gaping hole on a last-second goal-line stand.

995. The band runs onto the field on the last-second kickoff and accidentally trips Marty's returner who is sprinting for the last minute score.

1,674. Marty's running back scores the game-winning touchdown, but the ball deflates when it hits the ground. Under an ancient rule dating from 1874, this means that it is instead a touchback and the other team gets a free drop-kick.

and so on and so on and so on...