PDA

View Full Version : If the Steelers win the SB....

Mile High Mania
01-17-2005, 07:33 AM
...should Big Ben just retire? I know that's said in jest, but damn... you just can't top a an undefeated rookie season that ends with Offensive Rookie of the Year and a Super Bowl.

He'll be what ... 17-0 as a starter including playoffs??

It's all down hill from here if they win the SuperBowl... the bar has been set way too high for this kid and hopefully for him the next 10-14 years of his career are not spent answering questions about that magical rookie season.

MichaelH
01-17-2005, 07:37 AM
It might have been a fluke, but Big Ben didn't look so good Saturday night. The Jets did a great job on defense and should have won the game. We'll have to wait until this weekend to see how he handles the Patriots. The way the Patriots manhandled Manning, I'll be very impressed if the Steelers can win, even at home.

Mile High Mania
01-17-2005, 07:41 AM
The Steeler defense will have a lot to say about the performance at home as well... fluke, eh - that's a bad choice of words to describe what he and the team did.

Should be a great game.

ROYC75
01-17-2005, 08:22 AM
...should Big Ben just retire? I know that's said in jest, but damn... you just can't top a an undefeated rookie season that ends with Offensive Rookie of the Year and a Super Bowl.

He'll be what ... 17-0 as a starter including playoffs??

It's all down hill from here if they win the SuperBowl... the bar has been set way too high for this kid and hopefully for him the next 10-14 years of his career are not spent answering questions about that magical rookie season.

Reality : No way, way to young. I understand the perfect season and all.

But if so , Oh those Steeler fans would :deevee:

blsilks
01-17-2005, 08:56 AM
Well im a Chiefs fan but as far as teams who are left in the playoffs, im rooting for Big Ben and the Steelers all the way.

SBK
01-17-2005, 09:18 AM
I would say having the #1 defense and the #2 rushing attack is a good reason why Pittsburgh is where they are. Big Ben has just been the media's beneficiary this whole time.

Cochise
01-17-2005, 09:23 AM
The Pats will win.

BigMeatballDave
01-17-2005, 09:34 AM
The Pats will win.I concur. I know the Steelers handed the Pats their asses during the season, but this is the play-offs. I wouldn't be surprised to see NE win in a rout...

BigMeatballDave
01-17-2005, 09:37 AM
Well im a Chiefs fan but as far as teams who are left in the playoffs, im rooting for Big Ben and the Steelers all the way.**** Pittsburgh! I live in NE Ohio. Damn Steeler fans are about as bad as Donkey fans...
:cuss:

2bikemike
01-17-2005, 09:40 AM
After watching both teams play this weekend I think the Steelers lose. I would really like to see them win. I believe the winner of this game wins the Superbowl.

It would be pretty cool for Pennsylvania to have it a Philly/Pittsburgh game.

Mile High Mania
01-17-2005, 09:41 AM
Obviously my question was in jest... I hope he has a great career, but he'll always be judged by this amazing season.

I hope the Steelers win the SB... I don't hate NE, but I like the Steelers' team. It should be a low scoring game, but I think the Steelers can move the ball on NE. We might be looking at a 17-14 score or something like that, but I think the Jets were a wake up to that team .... either team will win the SB, but I really like the Steelers' chances.

Cochise
01-17-2005, 09:51 AM
I concur. I know the Steelers handed the Pats their asses during the season, but this is the play-offs. I wouldn't be surprised to see NE win in a rout...

Pittsburgh didn't deserve to win this weekend. Any team that didn't walk around the field stepping on their cranks would have eliminated them in a blowout.

And after the Patriots held Manning, Harrison, Wayne, and Stokley to nothing, they should be able to handle a Rookie QB and a receiving corp that is pretty good but not in the same class as the Colts'.

I think this game proved it to me more than anything. By most people's count the Patriots were outgunned and hurting in the worst place to be hurting against the best offense the playoffs had to offer. But they won, and they didn't just squeak it out, they pretty much had their way.

For some reason it doesn't matter who New England's got injured or who they are playing. They always show up, are always ready to play, and almost always want it more than you. Belichick is the Lombardi of this era.

They might not win the bowl this year but you won't catch me picking against them again.

Hoover
01-17-2005, 10:02 AM
Um he will want to get at least one huge payday.

Mile High Mania
01-17-2005, 10:04 AM
The Steelers had a down game and Ben looked like a rookie... I think overall, they are just as fundamentally sound as the Patriots. They are not as playoff battle-tested and that will go a long way for the Patriots.

The Steelers do have a lot of veteran leadership and last week was a great game for Ben to shake off all the accolades that he has received and understand that none of that matters now.

So, I expect them to be better offensively, but the NE defense will dictate a lot of that on the rookie.

blsilks
01-17-2005, 10:09 AM
I will say this though. Rookie QBs can sure do a worse job then what Ben is doing. Yes he is surounded by tallent but its very easy to take a team of tallent and have them blow a season because of a bad QB or even rookie QB. Remember, this is the same Steelers team that we saw last year other then Duce.

Mile High Mania
01-17-2005, 10:43 AM
I will say this though. Rookie QBs can sure do a worse job then what Ben is doing. Yes he is surounded by tallent but its very easy to take a team of tallent and have them blow a season because of a bad QB or even rookie QB. Remember, this is the same Steelers team that we saw last year other then Duce.

True... but, Staley has been one hell of an addition and the year Bettis has had was totally unexpected. It's a great luxury to have two big veteran RBs than can each successfully attack a great Dline like NE.

Imagine the luxury of banging away with Bettis and then bringing in Staley when you need some quickness. They can ride one for a half and then bring the other in with fresh legs and not lose anything. That's what has worked for them and they'll need a lot of that against NE.

If they can get 40+ combined rushes and establish that game early, then they stand a great chance of winning. Ward, Burress and Randel El are no slouches. So, it will be interesting to see how the NE defenses rises to the challenge at Heinz.

I'm sure they'll do it, but the key for Pitt is getting Ben back in the right mindset. He simply made some bad decisions. On the two INTs, he overthrew and underthrew the receivers... had he reversed his decisions, Pitt would have likely had two big pass plays.

It's part of the growing pains and he'll have more on Sunday, but it should be a good game.

MGRS13
01-17-2005, 10:45 AM
The steelers defense will win yet another game and then right on que the media will give all the props to big ben. He played an awful game on saturday but after reading the sunday papers you would have thought he threw for 400 yards and 4 touchdowns.