PDA

View Full Version : 2005 NFL Draft franchise changers....

PatriotofMaine
01-17-2005, 09:05 AM
There aren't that many this year, but here they are:

Braylon Edwards, WR, Michigan
Mike Williams, WR, (formerly of USC)
J.J. Arrington, RB, California
Cedric Benson, RB, Texa
Aaron Rogers, QB, California
Channing Crowder, LB, Florida
Erasmus James, DE, Wisconsin
Heath Miller, TE, Virginia

The sucky thing is that they may all be gone....(except Arrington--who we don't need....)

Cochise
01-17-2005, 09:25 AM
blah.. williams... looks a lot like Keyshawn to me...

PatriotofMaine
01-17-2005, 09:26 AM
MUCH, MUCH better attitude...look what he's gone through and the class with which he's handled it.

2bikemike
01-17-2005, 10:02 AM
Damn only 2 defensive players. We need a lot more than that.

Ari Chi3fs
01-17-2005, 10:06 AM
So Derrick Johnson isnt on that list?

Alphaman
01-17-2005, 10:12 AM
JJ Arrington? He's likely to be a 3rd or 4th round pick. Heath Miller? Unless you think he's a Tony Gonzalez, he won't change the franchise. TEs don't do that. Gates might, lets see him stay at that level now that he'll be held, scratched, and bitten by double teams every play. Winslow has the talent to be, but hasn't done it. Heap and Shockey are good, but they haven't changed the franchise. I'm not sure Aaron Rodgers belongs on that list either.

Derrick Johnson should be on that list.

DeepSouth
01-17-2005, 12:21 PM
Who comprised this list?

Phobia
01-17-2005, 12:24 PM
Who comprised this list?

Braylon Edwards, WR, Michigan
Mike Williams, WR, (formerly of USC)
J.J. Arrington, RB, California
Cedric Benson, RB, Texa
Aaron Rogers, QB, California
Channing Crowder, LB, Florida
Erasmus James, DE, Wisconsin
Heath Miller, TE, Virginia

Just a guess, though.

Deberg_1990
01-17-2005, 12:33 PM
Why does everyone think Cedric Bensen is so good?? Hes ok but overrated. Hes not even as good as Rickey Williams was and he was overrated.

htismaqe
01-17-2005, 02:51 PM
Mike Williams is overrated.

He's got enough size + speed to dominate in college, but doesn't have enough of either to be a great pro...

blueballs
06-16-2008, 11:53 AM
Boston Globe:

When the Bears released running back Cedric Benson last week, it highlighted how poorly the top draft selections from 2005 have fared in the NFL.

Benson was the fourth selection in the draft, and he's now out of a job. Any of the league's other 31 clubs could have claimed him on waivers, and not one took the bait.

Yet Benson isn't alone among top-10 picks looking to reemerge.

Cornerback Pacman Jones (No. 6) and receivers Troy Williamson (No. 7) and Mike Williams (No. 10) are already with their second teams.

Meanwhile, quarterback Alex Smith (No. 1) is in a battle to hold down the starting job in San Francisco, while Antrel Rolle (No. 8) is being moved to safety in Arizona after failing to excel at cornerback.

It's difficult to criticize running backs Ronnie Brown (No. 2) and Cadillac Williams (No. 5) - as well as cornerback Carlos Rogers (No. 9) - who are attempting to come back from serious knee injuries that knocked them out in 2007.

But at this point, other than Browns receiver Braylon Edwards (No. 3), this looks like the shakiest top 10 in recent memory.

In a do-over, Cowboys outside linebacker DeMarcus Ware (No. 11) would probably be the No. 1 pick.

Ari Chi3fs
06-16-2008, 12:03 PM
Yeah, that Erasmus James guy is solid!

Pasta Giant Meatball
06-16-2008, 12:06 PM
More ammo as to why these guys shouldn't get such a huge initial contract. What a bunch of scrubs!!!

StcChief
06-16-2008, 12:13 PM
DJ jury still out on the whole Franchise changer? Good player seems to be. I think this is his year to shine with a better DL.

blueballs
06-16-2008, 12:15 PM
Is there a way to identify/mark old threads when bumped

CoMoChief
06-16-2008, 12:30 PM
Probably what we should have done is kept Jared Allen, so that our Defense could be talented enough to actually win games for this team, and should have snagged a OT in the 2nd round. We could have traded up for Flowers if need be.

Now without him (Allen) I doubt we can make that happen. And we could have just gotten our LTOFT in Oher this season.

The lack of a RB and running game is what hurt the Offense more than just Oline play in the passing game. When LJ was in the lineup the Chiefs were 4-3 with the same Oline.

I just don't think that a backup RB, a blocking TE, and a Safety will ever grow to the potential value that Allen already had for this team.

StcChief
06-16-2008, 12:33 PM
Probably what we should have done is kept Jared Allen, so that our Defense could be talented enough to actually win games for this team, and should have snagged a OT in the 2nd round. We could have traded up for Flowers if need be.

Now without him (Allen) I doubt we can make that happen. And we could have just gotten our LTOFT in Oher this season.

The lack of a RB and running game is what hurt the Offense more than just Oline play in the passing game. When LJ was in the lineup the Chiefs were 4-3 with the same Oline.

I just don't think that a backup RB, a blocking TE, and a Safety will ever grow to the potential value that Allen already had for this team.

yeah Jared Allen was a diamond in rough and a game changer, Franchise changer?, water under bridge now. Let's see how he handles NFC.....

stumppy
06-16-2008, 12:54 PM
Is there a way to identify/mark old threads when bumped

If you are trying
to avoid the 'gotcha hook'
then it's the date
for which you must look

Buehler445
06-16-2008, 12:55 PM
What a load of ass for a draft class. Damn!

CoMoChief
06-16-2008, 01:22 PM
yeah Jared Allen was a diamond in rough and a game changer, Franchise changer?, water under bridge now. Let's see how he handles NFC.....

He was as close as a Franchise changer we've had since DT.

I know we can't do anything about it now. I just think overall it was a dumb move.

I understand we are getting younger to get better, but IMO you don't trade your best young player to do that. Allen was only 26.

Him and Dorsey would bring a 4 man pass rush that very few teams in this league can do.

And Tommy Harris is a FA next season ( now I am just dreaming)

Allen, Dorsey, Harris, Hali - OMG best DLine in NFL folks. IF that didn't send us to top 3 defense in NFL the whole coaching staff should get fired.

HolmeZz
06-16-2008, 01:28 PM
In fairness to PoM, he didn't say they'd be franchise changers in the positive sense.

Dylan
06-16-2008, 03:58 PM
DE Justin Tuck

RB Brandon Jacobs

Fish
06-16-2008, 04:53 PM

I know we can't do anything about it now. I just think overall it was a dumb move.

I understand we are getting younger to get better, but IMO you don't trade your best young player to do that. Allen was only 26.

Him and Dorsey would bring a 4 man pass rush that very few teams in this league can do.

Allen, Dorsey, Harris, Hali - OMG best DLine in NFL folks. IF that didn't send us to top 3 defense in NFL the whole coaching staff should get fired.

Jared Allen franchise changer?? How so? At least he hasn't shown it so far in his career....

I think some people have become so enamored with JA's sack number last season, that they have completely forgotten that he wasn't even the sack leader on his own team the previous year. Or the fact that even when he lead the league in sacks last year, none of them came in the 4th quarter where it was likely needed most. Only 1 came in the second half...

Sorry, those are not "franchise changing" numbers.... he got after it, but I don't remember too many games he singlehandedly changed. I do remember a few last year that he completely disappeared in.

Short Leash Hootie
06-16-2008, 04:55 PM

Because the Bears won't franchise Tommie Harris if they don't ink him to a long term deal ROFL

blueballs
06-16-2008, 08:09 PM
Jaguars | Team waives Thorpe(KC 2005)
Mon, 16 Jun 2008 16:29:30 -0700

Vic Ketchman, of Jaguars.com, reports the Jacksonville Jaguars waived WR Craphonso Thorpe.

Hydrae
06-16-2008, 08:27 PM
Jaguars | Team waives Thorpe(KC 2005)
Mon, 16 Jun 2008 16:29:30 -0700

Vic Ketchman, of Jaguars.com, reports the Jacksonville Jaguars waived WR Craphonso Thorpe.

Interesting, I thought he was still with the Colts.

Buck
06-16-2008, 08:59 PM
DeMarcus Ware would be the #1 over Merriman? I doubt it.

Ware was #11, Merriman was #12.

beach tribe
06-16-2008, 09:30 PM

It's a wash.

kc rush
06-16-2008, 09:57 PM
Yeah, that Erasmus James guy is solid!

I thought that it was Erasmus Jones? (Athanism)

SBK
06-16-2008, 09:59 PM

Does Ware do roids too? I'd go with the guy that doesn't cheat if it was up to me.

Dylan
06-17-2008, 12:56 PM
Jared Allen franchise changer?? How so? At least he hasn't shown it so far in his career....

I think some people have become so enamored with JA's sack number last season, that they have completely forgotten that he wasn't even the sack leader on his own team the previous year. Or the fact that even when he lead the league in sacks last year, none of them came in the 4th quarter where it was likely needed most. Only 1 came in the second half...

Sorry, those are not "franchise changing" numbers.... he got after it, but I don't remember too many games he singlehandedly changed. I do remember a few last year that he completely disappeared in.

Out of curiosity -- Jared a run stopper?

Shamrock
06-17-2008, 01:36 PM
First two rounds - 2005 NFL draft - AFC West

Donkeyville Donkeys

1 (25). Traded to Washington
2 (56). Darrent Williams (R.I.P.)

Trade Notes:
Broncos-Redskins
Redskins get: Denver's first-round pick (No. 25), which is used to select QB Jason Campbell.

Broncos get: Washington's third-round pick (No. 76) they used to select CB Karl Paymah, and first- and fourth-round picks in next year's draft.

The Donks also used a 3rd round Compensatory pick on Slo Mo Clarett. ROFL

Choketown Faders

1 (7). Traded to Minny for Randy Moss
1 (23). Fabian Washington (pick from Seattle)
2 (38). Stanford Routt

Trade Notes (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft05/news/story?id=2041490):
Raiders get: Jets' first-round pick (No. 26), which they used to select CB Fabian Washington, and seventh-round pick (No. 230), which they later traded.

Jets get: Raiders TE Doug Jolley, a second-round pick (No. 47 overall), which they used to select K Mike Nugent, and two sixth-round picks (No. 182 and No. 185), which they used to select RB Cedric Houston and traded the other pick.

Raiders-Texans

Raiders get: Houston's second-round (No. 47), which they later traded, and third-round (No. 78), which they used to select LB Kirk Morrison.

Texans get: Raiders cornerback Phillip Buchanon.

San Diego Chargers

1 (12). Shawne Merriman (Philip Rivers/Eli Manning trade, pick from Giants)
1 (28). Luis Castillo
2 (61). Vincent Jackson

BBQ City Squaws

1 (15). Derrick Johnson
2 (46). Traded to Miami

Dolphins get: Chiefs' second-round pick (No. 46 overall), which they used to select DE Matt Roth, and fifth-round pick (No. 147).

Chiefs get: Dolphins CB Patrick Surtain and a fifth-round pick (No. 138), which they used to select LB James Grigsby.

The Donkeys and Raiders got nothing. KC has one decent LB.

San Diego cashes in on the draft ..... again.

Fish
06-17-2008, 01:40 PM
Out of curiosity -- Jared a run stopper?

Sorry I'm confused about your post...

Are you asking me whether I think Jared is a run stopper?