PDA

View Full Version : Ex Raider Shot by Police

Stinger
01-17-2005, 01:59 PM
Barret Robbins shot by police
Former Raiders center in critical condition after struggle with Miami detective investigating a burglary
ASSOCIATED PRESS
Inside Bay Area

MIAMI BEACH, Fla. Former Oakland Raiders center Barret Robbins was shot and critically wounded during a struggle with a police officer investigating a burglary at a South Beach office building.

Robbins, a former All-Pro known best for going AWOL during the 2003 Super Bowl and other erratic behavior, was hospitalized in critical condition.

Robbins was shot several times in the torso during a "violent struggle" with a Miami Beach detective Saturday night, police spokesman Bobby Hernandez said.

"The officer was literally fighting for his life, trying to get Mr. Robbins from getting his gun. That's when the shots rang out," Hernandez said.

Robbins, 31, was confronted in a second-floor office in a building that also houses a nightclub, gym and jewelry store. He was considered a burglary suspect, though no charges had been filed, Hernandez said.

"We just have to figure out what he was doing there," Hernandez said.

Hernandez said authorities had not been able to interview Robbins, but that the former offensive lineman was expected to face a charge of battery on a police officer. Hernandez also said police were trying todetermine whether he would face trespassing or burglary charges.

Detective Mike Muley, who fired the shots, had minor head injuries from the scuffle and was treated at a hospital and released.

Robbins was taken to Ryder Trauma Center at Jackson Memorial Hospital.

Miami television station WFOR, citing Hernandez, reported Sunday night Robbins remained critical but had stabilized and was expected to survive.

Robbins' agent, Drew Pittman, told the Miami Herald his client had launched a home building business and a recording studio.

Pittman said Robbins is separated from his wife. They have two daughers.

Robbins was arrested last month in San Francisco for hitting a security guard.

The often-troubled player is best remembered for disappearing the night before the 2003 Super Bowl in San Diego. He spent Super Bowl Sunday in a hospital and later acknowledged that he had stopped taking his medicine for depression and bipolar disorder. The Raiders lost 48-21 to Tampa Bay.

Robbins was released by Oakland in July, a week after he and two other players were fined three game checks for testing positive for the steroid THG.

Robbins played all nine of his pro seasons with Oakland "Our thoughts and prayers go out to Barret and his family, and we hope he makes a full and speedy recovery," the Raiders said in a release.

Link (http://www.insidebayarea.com/raiders/ci_2528018)

Phobia
01-17-2005, 02:01 PM
Dude has been wearing his thinking cap for two full years coming up with ways he could top the Super Bowl disappearance.

2bikemike
01-17-2005, 02:02 PM
I heard this yesterday and never got around to see if it made the headlines here.

That dude has had a ton of problems.

memyselfI
01-17-2005, 02:04 PM
I heard this yesterday and never got around to see if it made the headlines here.

He's also had a 'ton' of second chances...

time to lock him up and throw away the key before he gets someone ELSE killed.

Dartgod
01-17-2005, 02:07 PM

Hey! I agree with DUH-nese!! Who'd of thunk it? :shrug:

Skip Towne
01-17-2005, 02:09 PM

Aaaarrrrgggghhhhh! I agree with Dense.

Demonpenz
01-17-2005, 02:11 PM
i wonder if he is a "profile" guy

Dr. Facebook Fever
01-17-2005, 02:13 PM
Hopefully next time the cop will shoot a current Raider......

......kidding..................................sort of.................

:D

Bob Dole
01-17-2005, 02:14 PM

Yes, it did.

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=108467

go bowe
01-17-2005, 02:16 PM
Hopefully next time the cop will shoot a current Raider......

......kidding..................................sort of.................

:Dwhat in heck are all those funny looking bird thingys across the bottom of your posts? :shrug:

Dartgod
01-17-2005, 02:16 PM
Aaaarrrrgggghhhhh! I agree with Dense.
Disgusting, isn't it?

memyselfI
01-17-2005, 02:19 PM
Disgusting, isn't it?

Oh, both of you 'loosers' have suffered the fate before...

get over yourselves. :p

Dr. Facebook Fever
01-17-2005, 02:19 PM
what in heck are all those funny looking bird thingys across the bottom of your posts? :shrug:
That would be a historical logo depiction of the greatest college/basketball team in history. You may have heard of Kansas...it's where the inventor of the game first coached and began the greatest tradition in college sports.

go bowe
01-17-2005, 02:22 PM
That would be a historical logo depiction of the greatest college/basketball team in history. You may have heard of Kansas...it's where the inventor of the game first coached and began the greatest tradition in college sports.oh yeah, kansas...

isn't that down there by texas, where bob dole lives?

do they play basketball there, really?

sure have some ugly birds around there, though... :p :p :p

Bob Dole
01-17-2005, 02:23 PM

You think that's bad, you ought to see some of the women.

go bowe
01-17-2005, 02:25 PM
You think that's bad, you ought to see some of the women.ROFL ROFL ROFL

do they have big beaks and blue feathers?

Dr. Facebook Fever
01-17-2005, 02:26 PM
oh yeah, kansas...

isn't that down there by texas, where bob dole lives?

do they play basketball there, really?

No, it's not "down by" Texas. There is a whole state in between. You could say they play basketball in the land where it was invented and at the school where the greatest coaches in history have attended...Naismith, Allen, Smith, Rupp etc.... and the bird has evolved over time..........as you can plainly see......

:thumb:

stevieray
01-17-2005, 02:34 PM
He's already killed someone?

go bowe
01-17-2005, 02:35 PM
No, it's not "down by" Texas. There is a whole state in between. You could say they play basketball in the land where it was invented and at the school where the greatest coaches in history have attended...Naismith, Allen, Smith, Rupp etc.... and the bird has evolved over time..........as you can plainly see......

:thumb:evolved, you say?

it still looks kinda wacky to me...

btw, kansas is not down by texas?

closer to utah, maybe?

Dartgod
01-17-2005, 02:36 PM
Where did you see that?

EDIT: Nevermind. I assume you were referring to DUH-nese's post about "getting someone ELSE killed".

go bowe
01-17-2005, 02:39 PM
the raiders were probably ready to kill him when he flaked out that time...

stevieray
01-17-2005, 02:41 PM
Where did you see that?

Someone must be speaking metaphorically.

He isn't a career criminal, and doesn't deserve to be locked up for life, unless being bipolar and letting down red ass are qualifications.....

Dartgod
01-17-2005, 02:48 PM
Someone must be speaking metaphorically.

He isn't a career criminal, and doesn't deserve to be locked up for life, unless being bipolar and letting down red ass are qualifications.....
I don't know. Again, I'm not thrilled about siding with Duh-nese, but he has a history of violent psychological problems that can be controlled with medication and proper treatment. If he refuses to treat his condition, he should be locked up. Maybe not in a traditional prison, but a mental health facility for sure.

stevieray
01-17-2005, 02:56 PM
I don't know. Again, I'm not thrilled about siding with Duh-nese, but he has a history of violent psychological problems that can be controlled with medication and proper treatment. If he refuses to treat his condition, he should be locked up. Maybe not in a traditional prison, but a mental health facility for sure.

I can agree with that, but we really don't know until this story pans out.

I think it's kind of unfair to make such a condemning statement becaue a guy's past mistakes are in the spotlight and we really don't know enough to make such a "end all' decision.

memyselfI
01-17-2005, 02:56 PM

Absolutely. The guy has a history of violence and wigging out that dated back to early Jon Gruden tenure. Sheesh, the article states he was arrested last month for an assault on a security officer. He sure SOUNDS like he's found a new career. The fact that he let down a football team is NOTHING compared to the real danger he presents to others who happen to be in his path...

forget about him, he could care less about himself which is quite obvious. It's people like this who seem to kill others in the wrong place at the wrong time that we should worry about. I guess BR is lucky he's the one lying on the bed and not the officer because it was only a matter of time before died at the hands of his irresponsibilty and self destruction.

The sad thing is, he's PAST treatment. He needs to be institutionalized for society's sake first, his second.

Phobia
01-17-2005, 02:58 PM
We should just put him down. That's the most humane way of dealing with him.

I mean, one day he could possibly drown his 5 infants.

Dartgod
01-17-2005, 02:58 PM
And now she...er, IT'S agreeing with me. Time for me to leave this thread and take a LONG shower...

memyselfI
01-17-2005, 02:59 PM
And now she...er, IT'S agreeing with me. Time for me to leave this thread and take a LONG shower...

You cannot blame yourself for being right about something once in a blue moon. You should rejoice that you are not as clueless as you seem!!! :thumb:

ENDelt260
01-17-2005, 03:01 PM

Heh.

Dartgod
01-17-2005, 03:01 PM
You cannot blame yourself for being right about something once in a blue moon. You should rejoice that you are not as clueless as you seem!!! :thumb:
I guess I should take you calling me "clueless" as a compliment.

stevieray
01-17-2005, 03:02 PM
It's people like this who seem to kill others in the wrong place at the wrong time that we should worry about.

This is ludicrous.

You would be defending him if he hadn't "cost" you your SB fantasy.

stevieray
01-17-2005, 03:05 PM
[QUOTE=memyselfI] The fact that he let down a football team is NOTHING compared to the real danger he presents to others who happen to be in his path...

I guess BR is lucky he's the one lying on the bed and not the officer because it was only a matter of time before died at the hands of his irresponsibilty and self destruction.

QUOTE]

you should sell insurance.

Cochise
01-17-2005, 03:06 PM
We should just put him down. That's the most humane way of dealing with him.

I hope not... Duhnise lusting after one Raider is enough already.

Rain Man
01-17-2005, 03:07 PM

What if looking clueless is a deliberate survival strategy on Dartgod's part, like an opossum playing dead or butterflies putting those big eyes on their wings? Being right could be a fatal mistake for him.

beavis
01-17-2005, 03:07 PM
you should sell insurance.
She'd try to sell you by insulting your intelligence. That or convince you that you didn't need insurance, because it'll always be the other guys fault.

chiefs4me
01-17-2005, 03:23 PM

I must of missed something in the last 10 years,,who did he get killed?

Who are you to say how many second chances a person gets?

Throw away the key,, Throw away the key,, I just can't get past this one point you tried to make.

God help your family,,:shake:

Dartgod
01-17-2005, 03:26 PM
What if looking clueless is a deliberate survival strategy on Dartgod's part, like an opossum playing dead or butterflies putting those big eyes on their wings? Being right could be a fatal mistake for him.
Oh great, my secret is out...

Phobia
01-17-2005, 03:28 PM

Throw away the key,, Throw away the key,, I just can't get past this one point you tried to make.

Would anybody else pay admission to a chiefs4me/memyselfI cage match to the death?

Mile High Mania
01-17-2005, 03:30 PM
Would anybody else pay admission to a chiefs4me/memyselfI cage match to the death?

Question ... is this a PPV event where both die? And, if not can it be a "lumber jack" rules type of event and when the winner is declared, the cage is raised and then everyone enters the ring to beat upon the one left standing?

If so, maybe ... just maybe it would be 'must see tv'.

Phobia
01-17-2005, 03:34 PM
Question ... is this a PPV event where both die? And, if not can it be a "lumber jack" rules type of event and when the winner is declared, the cage is raised and then everyone enters the ring to beat upon the one left standing?

If so, then I'm good for $20.

Neither. I'm going to collect a bunch of prepaid admission and walk.

Were you planning to pay by check or paypal?

Mile High Mania
01-17-2005, 03:35 PM
Neither. I'm going to collect a bunch of prepaid admission and walk.

Were you planning to pay by check or paypal?

Phhhhht, well I'm out... I wasted good money back in the 80s on those Tyson fights that never lived up to their billing. We need Vince to market this one right.

memyselfI
01-17-2005, 03:36 PM

I didn't say he killed someone else. My point was it's a matter of time before he DOES.

People like this usually tragically kill someone besides themselves while they are slowly and methodically killing themselves...

Phobia
01-17-2005, 03:38 PM
I didn't say he killed someone else. My point was it's a matter of time before he DOES.

People like this usually tragically kill someone besides themselves while they are slowly and methodically killing themselves...

Don't worry, she's a big fan of Randy Moss too.

Is sometime in July good for you?

stevieray
01-17-2005, 03:39 PM

Raiders still would've lost, though I'm sure you have friend who has dealt someone that is bipolar.

Phobia
01-17-2005, 03:43 PM
Raiders still would've lost, though I'm sure you have friend who has dealt someone that is bipolar.

You don't say?

memyselfI
01-17-2005, 03:46 PM
Don't worry, she's a big fan of Randy Moss too.

Is sometime in July good for you?

He's merely a thug...

not a danger to society. Unless you are a traffic cop and then who cares? :hmmm: :rolleyes:

BIG_DADDY
01-17-2005, 03:49 PM

You should invite over being a big Raider fan and all. Maybe Gannon can hook you two up.

tommykat
01-17-2005, 03:54 PM
I thought it was just the back end shot...........:shake:

Updating a previous story, ESPN.com (http://www.kffl.com/link/9) reports former Oakland Raiders (http://www.kffl.com/team/28/nfl) C Barret Robbins (http://www.kffl.com/player/1372/nfl) will be charged with trespassing and battery of a police officer during a weekend incident in which Miami Beach police were investigating a burglary in progress at a South Beach office building. Robbins, who was shot by police during the melee, remains in critical condition after a bullet punctured his lung and another left a hole in his heart, according to his wife, Marisa Robbins.

chiefs4me
01-17-2005, 04:07 PM

If so, maybe ... just maybe it would be 'must see tv'.

Like to beat on women do you?

Dr. Facebook Fever
01-17-2005, 04:07 PM
btw, kansas is not down by texas?

No. It's in the middle. It isn't "down by" anything. Oklahoma and Arkansas are "down by" Texas.

chiefs4me
01-17-2005, 04:08 PM

someone else killed,,what does that mean?

Phobia
01-17-2005, 04:14 PM
someone else killed,,what does that mean?
It means that you should either move or install a better home security system.

chiefs4me
01-17-2005, 05:06 PM
It means that you should either move or install a better home security system.

Phob,,I was eating a cookie and reading your post,,and dammit it I bit my tongue I laughed so hard. :deevee: