PDA

View Full Version : Buying a new car is worse than...

memyselfI
01-17-2005, 03:16 PM
a freakin root canal.

I absolutely hate it. My husband seems to think it's fun. Is this a 'guy' thing????

Does your S.O. actually enjoy driving things they likely won't buy and then watching negotiations? Not to mention they keep quiet and do not mention that the dance is a huge waste of time. Just get me the freakin bottom line selling price... :banghead: :cuss:

Saulbadguy
01-17-2005, 03:16 PM
Its a game.

Hoover
01-17-2005, 03:19 PM
You Have a husband!!!!!!!!!!!!

Spicy McHaggis
Just steal one. In the long run its much less of a hassle.

Cochise
I've got a bicycle I'll sell you.

Hoover
01-17-2005, 03:20 PM
What kind of car did you buy? a Hummer?

2bikemike
01-17-2005, 03:20 PM
Buying a car is no big deal anymore. My last 2 I went in told them what I was willing to pay. Don't waste my time and I won't waste theirs. Its a yes or no deal. I am not negotiating financing, trade in, or price.

In todays information world you can find out what the invoice cost is and what extras cost. Put it all together offer somewhere between 500- 1000 over dealer cost and be done with it.

Chances are they have recieved some other manufacture incentive that you are unaware of so they make their money.

memyselfI
01-17-2005, 03:21 PM
Just steal one. In the long run its much less of a hassle.

Amen!!!! :thumb:

memyselfI
01-17-2005, 03:23 PM
Buying a car is no big deal anymore. My last 2 I went in told them what I was willing to pay. Don't waste my time and I won't waste theirs. Its a yes or no deal. I am not negotiating financing, trade in, or price.

In todays information world you can find out what the invoice cost is and what extras cost. Put it all together offer somewhere between 500- 1000 over dealer cost and be done with it.

Chances are they have recieved some other manufacture incentive that you are unaware of so they make their money.

Oh, not in my household...

seems like we must drive everything in the mini-van category as a 'means of comparison'. Me, I just want something we can afford, is reliable, and has a third seat. Not too many demands on my end.

I've done all the research in the world but apparently the 'look and feel' factor matters more than I appreciate. :hmmm:

ENDelt260
01-17-2005, 03:23 PM
If you were to ask me Ron... Ron... RON! It's kinda hard to get my attention sometimes. If you were to ask me, "Ron, would you rather spend two hours of your life talking to a car salesman, OOORRRRR... would you rather be dragged buck naked over cactus with your lips wrapped around the tailpipe of a bus, Oooorrr... would you rather sandpaper the asshole of an alligator in a phone booth?" Uh... what was that second one again?

I probably f*cked up a word or two of that.

My Dad will waste a car salesman's entire day. I rather enjoy tagging along. Mom hates it. Here's a tip if you ever find yourself trying to sell a car to my dad, if Mom isn't in the room, the deal is nowhere near done. Dad will put in however much time it takes, and when the price is in the right area he'll call Mom.

ENDelt260
01-17-2005, 03:24 PM

Somebody linked to a website on here once that had invoice prices. Anyone know what that was?

Hoover
Amen!!!! :thumb:
Holy crap now you believe in God too?

Bob Dole
Perhaps you should just be thankful that the government hasn't raised taxes and you can actually afford to buy a new car.

memyselfI
01-17-2005, 03:26 PM
Holy crap now you believe in God too?

WTF have YOU been???? :hmmm: ;)

memyselfI
01-17-2005, 03:26 PM
Perhaps you should just be thankful that the government hasn't raised taxes and you can actually afford to buy a new car.

I'm not sure we can...

even with the 'tax relief.' :hmmm:

Hoover
01-17-2005, 03:27 PM
Umm working :D

Radar Chief
01-17-2005, 03:28 PM

seems like we must drive everything in the mini-van category as a 'means of comparison'. Me, I just want something we can afford, is reliable, and has a third seat. Not too many demands on my end.

I've done all the research in the world but apparently the 'look and feel' factor matters more than I appreciate. :hmmm:

Consider it payback for making him go shoe shopping.

2bikemike
01-17-2005, 03:29 PM

My comments were intended for the purchase not the selection of a new car. I pretty much no what I want when I go in. I do spend some time researching and test driving. I don't mind test driving vehicles at all. I have done it when I had nothing better to do. I had no intention of buying the vehicle I just wanted to drive it. I have also driven vehicles to get free stuff. The last time was for lift tickets to a ski resort.

Cochise
01-17-2005, 03:30 PM
Somebody linked to a website on here once that had invoice prices. Anyone know what that was?

There are some sites you can buy a membership to and look up the real, actual dealer cost on them. Most people don't realize that 'dealer invoice' is not what they paid or anything.

Funny story, this girl I used to work with mentioned one day that she was in the market for a new car and that she was going out looking that night. The next day she shows up in a brand new car, surprised at how easy it was. She said something like "I just went in and bought it, the whole process only took an hour or two!".

I thought to myself "so this is where those MSRP + fees paying suckers come from".

Radar Chief
01-17-2005, 03:30 PM
You Have a husband!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yea, and every single one of us owes him a beer for taking one for the team.

Phobia
01-17-2005, 03:31 PM
autobytel.com

If you're offering $500-1000 OVER invoice, you're throwing money away. You need to get $500-1000 UNDER dealer invoice. Then you're getting a great deal.

Phobia
01-17-2005, 03:33 PM
Hey, MemyselfI, would you please run the type of car you intend to purchase past Frank, "The Bad Guy". The last time he bought a Vue, we had to put him in a rubber room for a month when he discovered you owned one as well.

Thanks.

Skip Towne
01-17-2005, 03:38 PM
I'll bet he's not an American.

Cochise
01-17-2005, 03:38 PM
Hey, MemyselfI, would you please run the type of car you intend to purchase past Frank, "The Bad Guy". The last time he bought a Vue, we had to put him in a rubber room for a month when he discovered you owned one as well.

Thanks.

ROFL a Vue ROFL

Just buy a beetle and be done with it people ROFL

Cochise
01-17-2005, 03:39 PM

I don't know whether to feel a sense of infinite gratitude or deep, deep pity.

Phobia
01-17-2005, 03:40 PM
I don't know whether to feel a sense of infinite gratitude or deep, deep pity.

I feel both for my kids' step-father. Poor guy. I tried to warn him, but he healed.

AZORChiefFan
01-17-2005, 03:46 PM
Should try going through the fleet manager. I checked it out and the car I wanted stickered for $16K and without even haggling they contacted me a day or two later with a price of $12,500 they worked in all these incintives and other discounts before I got there.

Cochise
01-17-2005, 03:46 PM
I feel both for my kids' step-father. Poor guy. I tried to warn him, but he healed.

Come on, even Duhnise found someone.

Phobia
01-17-2005, 03:48 PM
Come on, even Duhnise found someone.

Not technically. I'd imagine her father got a barren chicken for her or something.

Cochise
01-17-2005, 03:51 PM
Not technically. I'd imagine her father got a barren chicken for her or something.

I might give back the hundred camels plus a hundred more to return her if I were him.

morphius
01-17-2005, 03:56 PM
You have to test drive the vehicles, you never know if it will fit you compfortably or not, or whether the blind spots are worse then you would think if you didn't.

I have learned something else, root canals are nothing, the pain that leads to an emergency one is something I will dread till the day I die!

Radar Chief
01-17-2005, 03:58 PM

One feral goat.

memyselfI
01-17-2005, 04:04 PM
Consider it payback for making him go shoe shopping.

I loathe shopping. I think that is part of the problem. We never shop together because he's likes to look at EVERYTHING and I want to get in, find what I want, and GTF OUT ASAP. :cuss:

memyselfI
01-17-2005, 04:07 PM

Thanks.

I want the Odessey or Sienna (even if used) and he wants to take the fake incentives and inflated prices and buy a Grand Caravan or Town and Country. At least until he test drove those two and the Nissan Quest. Now he's not so sure and mad at me for being unable to make up MY mind. :rolleyes: The more reliable Japanese cars are a stretch on our budget. The fake incentives and less reliable American counterparts won't be.

Guess if we get the Odessey it will be SD seeking the asylum. Wow, won't that be shocking???? ROFL ROFL ROFL

Cochise
01-17-2005, 04:22 PM
A husband who's all worried about what type of minivan to get.

I'll clue you in on a little secret. No matter what minivan it is, the vehicle is going to be embarassing to him, so he's just trying to get the lowest cost embarassment possible.

Besides shouldn't you be pressing him for one of those Element hybrids or something?

memyselfI
01-17-2005, 04:38 PM
A husband who's all worried about what type of minivan to get.

I'll clue you in on a little secret. No matter what minivan it is, the vehicle is going to be embarassing to him, so he's just trying to get the lowest cost embarassment possible.

Besides shouldn't you be pressing him for one of those Element hybrids or something?

Actually, I'm the one who's been resisting for years. He's finally convinced me it's either that or a bigger/badder SUV and I'm NOT going that route.

A mv is the lesser of the two evils...

as far as embarrassing. Checking the resale value of the American minivans IS embarrassing. Hence, my desire to find something that will actually be worth what we are paying for while we are paying for it.

Chief Henry
01-17-2005, 04:39 PM
Spend your $$$ this Thursday January 20th...

Cochise
01-17-2005, 04:45 PM
as far as embarrassing. Checking the resale value of the American minivans IS embarrassing.

Well, forgive me but why not buy one of these super-cheap used American minivans then?

BIG_DADDY
01-17-2005, 04:47 PM
I didn't know you could buy a car with food stamps. I learn something new every day.

memyselfI
01-17-2005, 04:50 PM
Well, forgive me but why not buy one of these super-cheap used American minivans then?

Because of their reliability/repair history...there is a reason there are so many availabe on trade.

jjjayb
01-17-2005, 05:29 PM
I love buying cars. Just bought one last month. Then again it's easy for me because I have a great salesman. Myself. o:-)

Phobia
01-17-2005, 05:33 PM
I love buying cars. Just bought one last month. Then again it's easy for me because I have a great salesman. Myself. o:-)

I thought you were a teacher.

dilligaf
01-17-2005, 11:15 PM
Actually, I'm the one who's been resisting for years. He's finally convinced me it's either that or a bigger/badder SUV and I'm NOT going that route.

A mv is the lesser of the two evils...

as far as embarrassing. Checking the resale value of the American minivans IS embarrassing. Hence, my desire to find something that will actually be worth what we are paying for while we are paying for it.
American minivans have absolutely no resale value. I sell Toyotas and would recommend the Sienna, but the Honda is a good vehicle also. Good luck. :thumb:

dilligaf
01-17-2005, 11:17 PM
If you were to ask me Ron... Ron... RON! It's kinda hard to get my attention sometimes. If you were to ask me, "Ron, would you rather spend two hours of your life talking to a car salesman, OOORRRRR... would you rather be dragged buck naked over cactus with your lips wrapped around the tailpipe of a bus, Oooorrr... would you rather sandpaper the asshole of an alligator in a phone booth?" Uh... what was that second one again?

I probably f*cked up a word or two of that.

My Dad will waste a car salesman's entire day. I rather enjoy tagging along. Mom hates it. Here's a tip if you ever find yourself trying to sell a car to my dad, if Mom isn't in the room, the deal is nowhere near done. Dad will put in however much time it takes, and when the price is in the right area he'll call Mom.
I seem to talk to your family members often.

ENDelt260
01-17-2005, 11:32 PM
I seem to talk to your family members often.
Sorry.

Well, not really.

Frazod
01-17-2005, 11:34 PM
I really like the new Mustang. I was drooling over one at the local dealership a couple of weeks ago.

It would be dumb for me to get one, but I'm really feeling that new car fever.... :eek:

ENDelt260
01-17-2005, 11:37 PM
I really like the new Mustang. I was drooling over one at the local dealership a couple of weeks ago.

It would be dumb for me to get one, but I'm really feeling that new car fever.... :eek:
They are nice.

I've got a buddy that just ordered one. Can't wait til he gets it.

Frazod
01-17-2005, 11:38 PM
They are nice.

I've got a buddy that just ordered one. Can't wait til he gets it.

They are EXTREMELY nice. The GT goes for around $26K. If the wife's new job works out.... :hmmm:

Cochise
01-17-2005, 11:41 PM
They are EXTREMELY nice. The GT goes for around $26K. If the wife's new job works out.... :hmmm:

Buddy of mine who sells fords was telling me that they can't keep the GT's in stock right now. He works at one of the larger dealerships in the area and said they have about 40 on order right now. Usually had some V6's in stock though he said.

ENDelt260
01-17-2005, 11:43 PM
Buddy of mine who sells fords was telling me that they can't keep the GT's in stock right now. He works at one of the larger dealerships in the area and said they have about 40 on order right now. Usually had some V6's in stock though he said.
Same thing out here. Hence my buddy's being on order. They've got v6's sitting on the lot... but, why bother with that?

Frazod
01-17-2005, 11:46 PM

Well, if I do this, it'll be a while until I do. Plus, the wife slaps me upside the head every time I drive past the Ford place and gaze longingly into the showroom. Needless to say she is deeply opposed to the idea.

The good news - her name isn't on the loan/title papers for my current car. She was in the can while the paperwork was being drawn up. So I don't need her signature on anything to trade it.....

:evil:

But if I pull into the garage with a new Mustang, it just might be the last thing I ever do.

:$2500:

ENDelt260
01-17-2005, 11:48 PM
But if I pull into the garage with a new Mustang, it just might be the last thing I ever do.

Just as long as she doesn't hurt the car...

Frazod
01-17-2005, 11:49 PM
Just as long as she doesn't hurt the car...

Nice to know you've got my best interests in mind. nlm

Cochise
01-17-2005, 11:52 PM
Well, if I do this, it'll be a while until I do. Plus, the wife slaps me upside the head every time I drive past the Ford place and gaze longingly into the showroom. Needless to say she is deeply opposed to the idea.

The good news - her name isn't on the loan/title papers for my current car. She was in the can while the paperwork was being drawn up. So I don't need her signature on anything to trade it.....

:evil:

ROFL smart move

There is a school of thought that says not to buy new vehicles the first year of their redesign and all that.

As for me, I have been lucky enough that I could afford one I guess, but am set on driving my current ride until it dies and I have to push it off a cliff

Frazod
01-17-2005, 11:57 PM
ROFL smart move

There is a school of thought that says not to buy new vehicles the first year of their redesign and all that.

As for me, I have been lucky enough that I could afford one I guess, but am set on driving my current ride until it dies and I have to push it off a cliff

My current car is economical, has great storage room, gets great mileage, and so on and so on.

I've had it for two years now and have had no problems whatsoever.

No good reason to trade it in for a new Mustang....

:titus:

CrazyHorse
01-18-2005, 06:39 AM
I have a new GT ordered. Though it is an all ne design for the Mustang, it is built on the Jaguar S-Type chassis. So they are not reinventing the wheel here. Just making it better.

Right now though I dont know if it's a great idea to order, becuase there is a hold on soem of the cooler options. There has been such a demand for them, it seems there is a supply issue with some of the interior packages. I was lucky enough to get my order in and have the parts alocated for my car before the hold.

Fraz, I reccommend you dont drive a GT. Not only would you decide that you could not live without one, you would likely trade the 'ol lady in for it. ROFL :hmmm:

jjjayb
01-18-2005, 07:08 AM
I have a new GT ordered. Though it is an all ne design for the Mustang, it is built on the Jaguar S-Type chassis. So they are not reinventing the wheel here. Just making it better.

Right now though I dont know if it's a great idea to order, becuase there is a hold on soem of the cooler options. There has been such a demand for them, it seems there is a supply issue with some of the interior packages. I was lucky enough to get my order in and have the parts alocated for my car before the hold.

Fraz, I reccommend you dont drive a GT. Not only would you decide that you could not live without one, you would likely trade the 'ol lady in for it. ROFL :hmmm:

There is a shortage of the guages that change colors on the interior upgrade package. We've got five GT's sitting and waiting for the frigging things.

And yeah, if you don't want to buy one, don't drive one. You're done if you do.

CrazyHorse
01-18-2005, 07:22 AM
There is a shortage of the guages that change colors on the interior upgrade package. We've got five GT's sitting and waiting for the frigging things.

You also cannot get the red interior accent package. Or at least, you couldn't a month or so ago.

CrazyHorse
01-18-2005, 08:25 AM
a freakin root canal.

I absolutely hate it. My husband seems to think it's fun. Is this a 'guy' thing????

Does your S.O. actually enjoy driving things they likely won't buy and then watching negotiations? Not to mention they keep quiet and do not mention that the dance is a huge waste of time. Just get me the freakin bottom line selling price... :banghead: :cuss:

Ironically enough, the car salesman negotiates deals through a manager. You really arent talking to the person who makes the deal in the 1st place in many cases.

Another interesting point. Folks think they go into a car lot and have some sort of "new and powerful" negotiating ploy. When I sold cars it was a sport for some to come in and think they were somehow pulling my pants down on a new car deal. Here is a concept for those people. You are dealing with a person who negotiates car deals several times a day. 52 weeks a year. Why do you think that a person that buys a car maybe once every 2 years is going to come in a work over a salesman?

Look at the autos that you are interested in. Do the research on the item you want before you go in. Figure out the top dollar you are willing to pay. Walk into the dealership and tell them what you are willing to pay, what you are willing to trade your car for, before driving thier car. If they dont take the "only offer". Walk out the door. If they stop you before you leave, you "might get your deal". If they don't you have wasted no time.

If you are "negotiating", you will lose.

Cochise
01-18-2005, 08:30 AM

Yeah, I would also not want to throw down a bunch of jack on something like that and then in a year everyone else on earth has got one.

CrazyHorse
01-18-2005, 08:41 AM
Yeah, I would also not want to throw down a bunch of jack on something like that and then in a year everyone else on earth has got one.

What rare auto are you driving now?

When you say a bunch of jack, I would be interested to know what car in it's class you could buy for less money?

Duck Dog
01-18-2005, 08:45 AM
Damn, Islamistme can't even buy a car without bashing America. She know's no limits.

Radar Chief
01-18-2005, 08:47 AM
Damn, Islamistme can't even buy a car without bashing America. She know's no limits.

In this case, I donít blame her. American ninny vans suck baows.

CrazyHorse
01-18-2005, 08:51 AM
In this case, I donít blame her. American ninny vans suck baows.

What difference does it make? Small engines and drive trains are made by foreign companies. For example, Mitsubishi makes Chrysler engines. Mazda makes Ford engines.

Radar Chief
01-18-2005, 08:57 AM
What difference does it make? Small engines and drive trains are made by foreign companies. For example, Mitsubishi makes Chrysler engines. Mazda makes Ford engines.

Does Mitsubishi make the drive train in the Caravan?
If they do, all there engineers deserve to be lined up and shot.

memyselfI
01-18-2005, 09:03 AM
If you are "negotiating", you will lose.

:clap:

Thank you. That is my point but my husband negotiates alot on his job thus I think he thinks it's some kind of sporting event.

Me, I find what I want, do the research, figure out what I want to pay and then find it for that price...

Needless to say, he's shopping on his own now. I told him to call me when he finds something he's serious about. Thank you Endelt!!!

CrazyHorse
01-18-2005, 09:04 AM

I probably spoke out of turn here. I am not sure whether they specifically make that engine or not. I just know that they make the 4 cylinder engines for doge, chrysler, and plymouth.

memyselfI
01-18-2005, 09:04 AM

As if the moron who posted this can see what is in my driveway...

two Ford trucks and one Saturn. :rolleyes:

Cochise
01-18-2005, 09:06 AM

I was hoping I could prove Duhnise wrong earlier in the thread and looked up all the reliability reports I could find for minivans hoping to find an American one that was among the best but I couldn't find any such study. It was ususally the Honda, Toyota, Nissan, etc., and then Chrysler was the one American brand that was getting mentioned among the most reliable. I'm recalling this from memory and don't remember what I looked at, but it turned out she was right about that.

memyselfI
01-18-2005, 09:06 AM
I probably spoke out of turn here. I am not sure whether they specifically make that engine or not. I just know that they make the 4 cylinder engines for doge, chrysler, and plymouth.

I think your point is well taken though. A friend of ours bought a Nissan Quest in the early 00s. He researched and found out that Nissan made some of the engines and I think Ford made the others. He then had to figure out which ones were made by whom in order to purchase one actually made by Nissan.

These days with all of the blending of companies it's hard to tell unless it's Honda or Toyota or one of the luxury foreign brands.

Radar Chief
01-18-2005, 09:10 AM

Thatís ok, I know what you're sayín.
I had a friend in the Army that bought a new Ford Escort GT and when we popped the hood, there was a Honda motor.

Radar Chief
01-18-2005, 09:13 AM
but it turned out she was right about that.

Yea, sucks when that happens. :cuss: ;)

memyselfI
01-18-2005, 09:15 AM
Yea, sucks when that happens. :cuss: ;)

ROFL

But I have to give you guys :thumb: that you do seem to point it out and take your lumps!!!! :clap:

Cochise
01-18-2005, 09:16 AM
ROFL

But I have to give you guys :thumb: that you do seem to point it out and take your lumps!!!! :clap:

Well, don't get used to it, this is the first one that I can remember.

Why aren't you being a good lib and buying american :cuss: :p

memyselfI
01-18-2005, 09:21 AM
Well, don't get used to it, this is the first one that I can remember.

Why aren't you being a good lib and buying american :cuss: :p

Because my last two cars have been American and we might want to try a Japanese.

But, I think we've decided on buying a cheap but newer model American van used. Pay for it and if it lasts more than 5-6 years (or when my oldest will have his own car) it will go into service as a work truck. Then we will buy a fancy new vehicle that is more fun than a fuggin min-van.

I absolutely HATE mini-vans. :cuss:

Radar Chief
01-18-2005, 09:33 AM
Because my last two cars have been American and we might want to try a Japanese.

But, I think we've decided on buying a cheap but newer model American van used. Pay for it and if it lasts more than 5-6 years (or when my oldest will have his own car) it will go into service as a work truck. Then we will buy a fancy new vehicle that is more fun than a fuggin min-van.

I absolutely HATE mini-vans. :cuss:

Since your looking used, ever consider a mid-sized sport ute? Like maybe a Jeep Cherokee? The 4.0L I6 has a fantastic reputation for reliability and although they quit making them in í01, last model year, there are plenty of good used ones available.
However if you really need that third row seating that pretty much eliminates all mid-sized anything.

memyselfI
01-18-2005, 09:36 AM
Since your looking used, ever consider a mid-sized sport ute? Like maybe a Jeep Cherokee? The 4.0L I6 has a fantastic reputation for reliability and although they quit making them in í01, last model year, there are plenty of good used ones available.
However if you really need that third row seating that pretty much eliminates all mid-sized anything.

Yeah, we need the third row seating...

seems I turned 40 and then all of a sudden I'm lugging around extra children and sporting equipment. :hmmm: :spock:

My husband claims there is no correlation. :harumph:

ENDelt260
01-18-2005, 11:11 AM

You also cannot get the red interior accent package. Or at least, you couldn't a month or so ago.

Hm... pretty sure my buddy's is gonna have both of those items.

Skip Towne
01-18-2005, 11:11 AM
Yeah, we need the third row seating...

seems I turned 40 and then all of a sudden I'm lugging around extra children and sporting equipment. :hmmm: :spock:

My husband claims there is no correlation. :harumph:
I thought you were going to say you turned 40 and it made your ass get big.

Phobia
01-18-2005, 11:16 AM
Another interesting point. Folks think they go into a car lot and have some sort of "new and powerful" negotiating ploy.

Yeah, the only negotiating ploy you have is walking OUT. As long as your ass is sitting in their chair, their mantra will be, "this is the best we can do, you're getting a really good deal".

Radar Chief
01-18-2005, 01:34 PM
Iím just hoping my S-10 lasts long enough for me to trade it in for one of these when they come out. :)

http://www.jeep.com/autoshow/img/news/gladiator_news_main.jpg

Auburn Hills, Mich. - Jeepģ brand vehicles are known for being able to conquer terrain that competitors fear and for a heritage steeped in utility. The Jeep Gladiator concept vehicle rides over boundaries and limits in addition to the terrain and obstacles.

The Gladiator is a lifestyle pickup with all of the rugged functionality of the famed Jeep Wrangler. It is a super utility truck that features an open-air canvas roof, removable doors and fold-down windshield so driver and passengers can get in touch with the outdoors, and an expandable pickup-truck bed and clever storage compartments to offer truly useful cargo capacity.

"Jeep Gladiator is an authentic statement of Jeep brand heritage that explores what shape and features a modern Jeep pickup might have," said Trevor Creed, Senior Vice President - Chrysler Group Design.

Jeep enthusiasts will likely recognize the Gladiator name from the 1962 fullsize pickup truck model. Other Jeep elements on today's Gladiator that blend style and function include the seven-slot grille, an open-air passenger compartment, a Command Tracģ part-time 4x4 system, front- and rear-locking differentials, a front winch and full skid plates.

While the heritage rings true, Gladiator is also a thoroughly modern pickup, intelligently engineered for an active lifestyle. The Jeep brand has always embodied function in a right-sized vehicle, and the Gladiator continues that theme by offering more utility and storage than would be expected in a vehicle scaled for maneuverability and ease of driving.

There is a driver-side cabin-storage access panel as well as a lockable storage panel in front of the rear wheel. The 4-foot-wide bed space is expandable with storage that can extend inside the cabin when more length is needed. The bed can be transformed easily from its standard length of 5 foot, 8 inches (1,725 mm) to 6 foot, 8 inches (2,026 mm) with the midgate expanded, and ultimately to 8 foot, 11 inches (2,723 mm) with the midgate expanded and tailgate down.

Gladiator is powered by the modern and efficient 2.8-liter, 4-cylinder common-rail turbo diesel engine that provides 295 lb-ft of torque and 163 hp. It delivers ample power to all four wheels through a 6-speed manual transmission and a traditional part-time transfer case.

The front and rear suspension are multi-link designs for a smooth ride over all surfaces with plenty of suspension travel for capable off roading. Coilover shocks are used at all four corners for superb control. The rear incorporates dual, concentric springs for a comfortable ride while offering a 1,500-pound payload. Key off-roading specifications include a ground clearance of 13.7 inches (348 mm), break-over angle of 23.2 degrees and an approach/departure angle of 47.6 /38.0 degrees, respectively. Tires in the front and rear are 34 inches in diameter (265/75R18) mounted on 18x8 inch wheels.

On the interior, Gladiator is thoroughly contemporary with a utility theme. The color palate includes Armour Green with Dark Slate Gray accents. The seats are weatherproof and the interior is designed for hose-out ease of care. Not surprisingly, Gladiator features all the necessary technology for finding the way there and back including GPS, a navigation system and a communications system. "This vehicle blends classic cues with contemporary functionality and innovation," said Creed. "The timeless silhouette - even the bedside-mounted spare of classic Jeep pickups- is merged with a modern chassis, a turbo diesel powertrain and a flexible, expandable truck bed."

Source: DaimlerChrysler MediaServices

Brock
01-18-2005, 01:41 PM
Iím just hoping my S-10 lasts long enough for me to trade it in for one of these when they come out. :)

http://www.jeep.com/autoshow/img/news/gladiator_news_main.jpg

any idea on MSRP?

Radar Chief
01-18-2005, 01:50 PM
any idea on MSRP?

Nope, although Iíd assume itís priced with there mid-sized SUís like the Liberty. Course this is a concept truck but itís been rumored for a couple years that Jeep is going to introduce a mid-sized truck so Iím hoping this is a glimpse.
Things I doubt make it to production: folding windshield, canvas top, expandable bed and front locker.
Things that I hope will make it to production: 2.8L Diesel, Command Trac transfer case, rear locker and cool looks. :thumb:

Calcountry
01-18-2005, 02:24 PM
a freakin root canal.

I bet salespeople have a field day with you meme.

I thought all you tree huggers walked and rode bicycles?

Calcountry
01-18-2005, 02:30 PM
Obviously, he has been avoiding you.