PDA

View Full Version : NFT- FINALLY! I have zapped the bastigen!

C-Mac
01-27-2005, 10:00 PM
:cuss:
After 6 months of computer terror with constant Explorer lockups, login lockups, popups and takeovers, the trojan worm virus mole piece of crap "www.heretofind.com" has finally been eraticated from my computer. This thing got way deep into my registry last August(I even posted for help last fall) and I had tried dozens of methods found thru search engines over the months to remove it with no luck. I finally just had to tolerate it and keep it toned down with Hijack,AdAware and Spybot. It was smart enough to even rebuild itself when you ran Spybot. I had gone so far as buying a new hard drive to reload everything on because I felt there was no real help for this. This thing was nasty, it would rewrite my opening explorer page and be writing other spyware crap behind the scenes. Anyway I highly recommend you download the file below from symantec and save it just in case it nabs you too. Wow... this was by far the worst computer worm spyware I've ever dealt with.

http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/FxAgentB.exe

Rausch
01-27-2005, 10:14 PM
:shake:

C-Mac
01-28-2005, 09:09 AM
2 days and going....free, free at last!

DeepSouth
01-28-2005, 09:32 AM
C-Mac, I'm scheduled to go over to format and reinstall everything on my daughter's PC this Saturday. She has something that eats up CPU time and causes constant popups. She used AOL's free version of McAfee virus protection and Ad-Aware and neither of them can get rid of this crap.

Could she have what you're referring to?

C-Mac
01-28-2005, 09:44 AM
C-Mac, I'm scheduled to go over to format and reinstall everything on my daughter's PC this Saturday. She has something that eats up CPU time and causes constant popups. She used AOL's free version of McAfee virus protection and Ad-Aware and neither of them can get rid of this crap.

Could she have what you're referring to?

Its very possible because she is dealing with a spyware registry writing type mole. I would first download "Highjackthis" (free)and let it scan. You can post the results here if you like and we can figure out whats on her computer. Mine had another powerful worm along side it called wwww.coolsearch.com. There is a a removal tool called "CWshredder"
(free), just do a search for it also.

DeepSouth
01-28-2005, 10:41 AM
Its very possible because she is dealing with a spyware registry writing type mole. I would first download "Highjackthis" (free)and let it scan. You can post the results here if you like and we can figure out whats on her computer. Mine had another powerful worm along side it called wwww.coolsearch.com. There is a a removal tool called "CWshredder"
(free), just do a search for it also.

I appreciate the info. I hope to have it figured out and fixed before I leave her place on Saturday with the last resort being the format / reinstall.

thanks again,

DeepSouth
02-01-2005, 11:23 AM
C-Mac, Thanks for the info you shared. My daughter's PC is finally back up and running. What a freaking nightmare.

Long Story short; There were over sixty lines in her registry that was starting stuff that I could not identify. Cleaned it out all, still wouldn't work.

Reinstalled Windows 2000. System performance was back to normal. Went to install the Bellsouth DSL software, it told me I could not because I did not have Service Pack 1 of W2K installed. Talk about a catch 22. I couldn't get to the internet to install SP1 because I couldn't install the DSL software.

Burned SP1 to a CD at work, installed on her PC and it was smooth sailing from there.

Appreciate your help,

Count Alex's Wins
02-01-2005, 11:33 AM
Dude, how did you get it?

My PC has been virus free for years...

Either way, I dub thee....

http://www.quickbuddyicons.com/icon/3759.gif

InChiefsHell
02-01-2005, 11:33 AM
C-Mac, Thanks for the info you shared. My daughter's PC is finally back up and running. What a freaking nightmare.

Long Story short; There were over sixty lines in her registry that was starting stuff that I could not identify. Cleaned it out all, still wouldn't work.

Reinstalled Windows 2000. System performance was back to normal. Went to install the Bellsouth DSL software, it told me I could not because I did not have Service Pack 1 of W2K installed. Talk about a catch 22. I couldn't get to the internet to install SP1 because I couldn't install the DSL software.

Burned SP1 to a CD at work, installed on her PC and it was smooth sailing from there.

Appreciate your help,

2 things...go to SP 4 for Win2K and make sure you have all her security patches up to date (Windows Update)

Download Mozilla browser and have her use it exclusively. Trust me, it is waaaay better than IE...

DeepSouth
02-01-2005, 11:37 AM
Dude, how did you get it?

My PC has been virus free for years...

Either way, I dub thee....

http://www.quickbuddyicons.com/icon/3759.gif
I can only assume they (my daughters and their boyfriends) got it from one of the many BS sites they go to. Or, from some BS software that sounded really cool and they downloaded from the internet.

I, like you, haven't had a virus on my PC for quite some time.

DeepSouth
02-01-2005, 11:44 AM
2 things...go to SP 4 for Win2K and make sure you have all her security patches up to date (Windows Update)

Download Mozilla browser and have her use it exclusively. Trust me, it is waaaay better than IE...
I instructed them to get all the critical updates from MS as soon as possible.

They use mostly AOL as their browser. I hate it. I expressed my feelings to them about AOL but they continue to use it. And, I could tell a difference in the performance of the PC once they installed it.

appreciate the advise,

Otter
02-01-2005, 11:44 AM
Install a second hard drive for for storage only.

Point all your emails, calender events, documents, spreadsheets, movies, pictures ect. ect. to save on there instead of the same drive your operating system is on.

When you have a problem you can't solve you'll be back up in about an hour thru a OS re-install. You should do a re-install once a year anyway.

I'll be a SUSE Linux man by the end of the year anyway.

KISS MY HAIRY BEAN BAG MICROSOFT

C-Mac
02-01-2005, 11:46 AM

Appreciate your help,

Its amazing how much wasted time one little weasel bastigen software script writer can assign you. Glad to hear you finally whipped it.

htismaqe
02-01-2005, 11:59 AM
Install a second hard drive for for storage only.

Point all your emails, calender events, documents, spreadsheets, movies, pictures ect. ect. to save on there instead of the same drive your operating system is on.

When you have a problem you can't solve you'll be back up in about an hour thru a OS re-install. You should do a re-install once a year anyway.

I'll be a SUSE Linux man by the end of the year anyway.

KISS MY HAIRY BEAN BAG MICROSOFT

Excellent advice.

That's what I do. I can reinstall in about 20 minutes if I have to.