PDA

View Full Version : 24 Arab Nations and Only One Attends The Freeing of Auschwitz Prisoner Ceremonies

KCWolfman
01-27-2005, 09:55 PM
Only Jordan attends the ceremony. Anti-Semitism is alive and well with the Eastern Land Masses.

UN Addresses Auschwitz (http://web.israelinsider.com/Articles/AntiSemi/4867.htm)

Shoah survivor Wiesel, world leaders at UN mark Auschwitz liberation
By Israel Insider staff and partners January 24, 2005

With repeated calls of "never again," the U.N. General Assembly commemorated the 60th anniversary of the liberation of the Nazi death camps with a special session Monday, a stark change for a body that has been reluctant to address the extermination of the Jews during World War II.

Holocaust survivor Elie Wiesel, a Nobel peace prize winner, joined world leaders in confronting a question that has long haunted the United Nations: whether its member states have the will to stop future genocide. With mass atrocities in Sudan's Darfur region, the question took on new poignancy.

"The Jewish witness that I am speaks of my people's suffering as a warning," Wiesel told the General Assembly. "He sounds the alarm to prevent these tragedies from being done to others. And yes, I am convinced if the world had listened to those of us who tried to speak we may have prevented Darfur, Cambodia, Bosnia, and naturally Rwanda."

Wiesel, a Holocaust survivor, also questioned the actions of the Nazis. "How could intelligent educated men, or simply law-abiding citizens, ordinary men, fire machine guns at hundreds of children every day" and "in the evening" read Schiller and listen to Bach, he said.

Speaking immediately after Annan, Wiesel mourned the loss of life and loss to humanity caused by the Holocaust. Who knows, he asked, whether one of the million and a half Jewish children who perished in the Holocaust could have won a Noble Prize of his own, or discovered a cure for cancer.

"When speaking about that era of darkness, the witness encounters difficulties... for there are no words to describe what the victims felt when death was the norm and life a miracle," he said.

"If the world had listened we may have prevented Darfur, Cambodia, Bosnia and naturally Rwanda," Wiesel told the assembly.

"We know that for the dead it is too late. For them, abandoned by God and betrayed by humanity, victory did come much too late," Wiesel said. "But it is not too late for today's children, ours and yours. It is for their sake alone that we bear witness."

Wiesel drew attention to the failure of the West during the war to accept more refugees, allow more Jews to go to Israel, or bomb the railway lines to the large Auschwitz-Birkenau camp site.

"In those times those who were there felt not only tortured, murdered by the enemy but also by what we considered to be the silence and indifference of the world," Wiesel said. "Now, 60 years later, the world at least tries to listen."

There were subtle reflections of a changed stance at the United Nations, where efforts to condemn anti-Semitism and commemorate the liberation of the camps had been blocked for years by the Soviet Union. In 2003, Ireland withdrew a General Assembly resolution condemning anti-Semitism because of Muslim and Arab opposition.

In his remarks Monday, Secretary-General Kofi Annan made a rare reference by a U.N. chief to the Holocaust by name before the General Assembly. Later Monday, a photography exhibit opened at the U.N.'s headquarters featuring images from the death camps, the first time an exhibit about the Holocaust is being shown at the United Nations.

"We must be on the watch for any revival of anti-Semitism, and ready to act against the new forms of it that are appearing today," Annan said. "That obligation binds us not only to the Jewish people, but to all others that have been, or may be, threatened with a similar fate."

While 138 nations including several Arab countries had said they supported the commemoration, few attended the commemoration. Jordan was the only Arab country to deliver a speech commemorating the liberation of the camps.

Late last year, U.S. Ambassador John Danforth requested a commemorative session on Jan. 24, three days before a similar event was to be held in the former Auschwitz death camp in Poland, marking its liberation by Soviet troops on Jan. 27, 1945.

Between 1 million and 1.5 million prisoners -- about 90% of them Jews -- perished in gas chambers or died of starvation and disease at Auschwitz. Overall, 6 million Jews were killed in the Holocaust.

U.S. Deputy Secretary of Defense Paul Wolfowitz appeared to make a veiled reference to Iraq during his speech, saying that though leaders had agreed to set aside politics for the commemoration, they must do so with "a unanimous resolve to give real meaning to those words 'never forget."'

"Last Thursday, as he began his second term in office, President George Bush expressed his belief that our nation's interests cannot be separated from the aspirations of others to be free from tyranny and oppression," Wolfowitz said.

Speakers including Israeli Foreign Minister Silvan Shalom and Russia's commissioner for human rights, Vladimir Lukin, warned against a rise in anti-Semitism around the world.

Shalom pointed to the strength of movements denying the Holocaust, asking if there was anything worse than the destruction of an entire race.

"There is something worse: to do all this and then deny, to do all this and then take from the victims and their children and grandchildren the legitimacy of their grief," he said.

The United Nations was created in the wake of World War II. It voted soon after, in 1947, to carve out two countries in Palestine -- one Jewish, the other Arab - but the Arabs lost their share when they tried to eradicate Israel after it declared its independence.

Sir Brian Urquhart, the retired U.N. undersecretary general who was among those soldiers who freed the death camps, said the world must not forget the Holocaust because it revealed what horrors humans can inflict and that they may do again.

"This commemoration serves to recall what human beings driven by hatred or fear or some perverse ideology are, against all rational belief, still capable of doing to each other," he said.

Some who attended, however, were not as impressed with the day's events, saying it was another instance of a lot of talk and little action at the United Nations.

"We have not learned one iota," said Josephine Prinse, a Holocaust survivor who still bears the prison number tattooed on her arm by the Nazis. "We talk. Do you see the results? They are still killing people in Darfur."

The special session was the outcome of extensive diplomatic efforts by the Israeli Foreign Ministry. Israel's UN ambassador, Dan Gillerman said Monday that the special session was the most meaningful UN event involving Israel since the state was founded in 1948.

The climax of the session was a cantor chanting the Hebrew prayer of mourning "El Malei Rachamim" -- the first time a Jewish prayer has been uttered in the General Assembly. The cantor also sang Israel's national anthem, "Hatikvah," also the first time it was played there.

jiveturkey
01-28-2005, 07:11 AM
Duh!

RINGLEADER
01-28-2005, 10:12 AM
Only Jordan attends the ceremony. Anti-Semitism is alive and well with the Eastern Land Masses.

And across a lot of Europe as well.

Loki
01-28-2005, 02:28 PM
Duh!

really....

jiveturkey
01-28-2005, 02:54 PM
really....Did you think that this article was going to stat the opposite?

Loki
01-28-2005, 02:56 PM
Did you think that this article was going to stat the opposite?

really as in:

i agree with you.

jiveturkey
01-28-2005, 02:58 PM
really as in:

i agree with you.The question mark at the end of "really" was a dumb assumtion on my part.

I'll give ya some rep for the trouble. :thumb:

Loki
01-28-2005, 03:15 PM
was a dumb assumtion on my part.

really... :p

KCWolfman
01-29-2005, 09:23 AM
Did you think that this article was going to stat the opposite?
Do you have a link stating the opposite from another article?

jiveturkey
01-29-2005, 11:15 AM
Do you have a link stating the opposite from another article?I've never seen the opposite of your article stated anywhere.

I thought that it was common knowledge that arabs/middle easteners hated jews.

KC Jones
01-29-2005, 12:33 PM
And across a lot of Europe as well.

Sadly true.

When I was visiting some friends in Switzerland last summer they mentioned their belief that the American government is controlled by Jews. I should have mentioned that my grandma was a survivor of Theresienstad and told them to kiss my 1/4 kosher ass. Instead I told them they were nuts. There is a grain of truth to their point as the neo-conservative movement originated with a group of jewish politicos who became discouraged with the results of their left wing movement and jumped to the far right. Still, they were speaking from a long held cultural hatred and suspicion of all things jewish. Otherwise they would have recognized that evangelical christianity has more to do with our israeli love affair than any strings that their imaginary secret group of jews are pulling.

CHIEF4EVER
01-29-2005, 02:10 PM
Anti-Semitism is alive and well with the Eastern Land Masses.

In other news, it has been reported that the sun will rise in the East and set in the West. Film at 11.

BIG_DADDY
01-29-2005, 02:45 PM
I still say we put something in the water there to keep them from reproducing. At the very least they should be doing that to detainees and anyone linked at all to one of these terrorist groups.

Loki
01-31-2005, 11:41 AM
I still say we put something in the water there to keep them from reproducing. At the very least they should be doing that to detainees and anyone linked at all to one of these terrorist groups.

you're talking about france..... right?