PDA

View Full Version : Iraq elections about done.

Marada
01-30-2005, 07:40 AM
There's about half an hour before the polls close and Freedoms winds in Iraq blew strong. The latest numbers indicate 72 percent of the population voted. Think about that. Here in america if we get 60 percent it's considered a high turn out. Normally only 40 to 50 percent of america votes in any election. And as those people vote who do they see? Iraq Security forces, not american. That has to have an effect. I can't help but feel a sense of optimism over the future of not only Iraq but of the Middle East as a whole. And do believe in the long run this country will be safer and we are seeing the decline of terrorism as a global force. It'll be interesting to hear over the next few days how people spin this. Especially those, to borrow a line from the movie "The American President", "People who say they love america but obviously can't stand americans".

CHIEF4EVER
01-30-2005, 07:50 AM
The latest numbers indicate 72 percent of the population voted. Wait, you mean the vast majority of the population got out and voted in spite of the doom and gloom prognostications from the LWNJ's like Duhnise? Fancy that.......:hmmm:

SBK
01-30-2005, 07:54 AM
Great news.

BigOlChiefsfan
01-30-2005, 09:07 AM
http://www.daybydaycartoon.com/Cartoons/01-30-2005.gif

mlyonsd
01-30-2005, 09:12 AM
Even left leaning Cokie Roberts this morning on the ABC Sunday news program said Americans should be ashamed of how we take voting for granted when it comes to the example Iraqis showed us today.

She said Americans just need to roll out of bed to vote when the Iraqis had to risk their lives. For once I agree with her.

mlyonsd
01-30-2005, 09:35 AM
Holy crap. Dan Rather just said the limited amount of terrorist activity on election day might indicate the insurgents are on the run.

Marada
01-30-2005, 09:37 AM
Even left leaning Cokie Roberts this morning on the ABC Sunday news program said Americans should be ashamed of how we take voting for granted when it comes to the example Iraqis showed us today.

She said Americans just need to roll out of bed to vote when the Iraqis had to risk their lives. For once I agree with her.

It was just announced that a polling place in Southern Iraq had to be closed. So the resisdents in that area walked 13 miles to the next closest poll. Walking 13 miles!! Incredible. They had pictures and it wasn't just a few, it appeared as if there were hundreds. I'd say that represents a burning desire and points to the hope that the population has. How can we not help?

mlyonsd
01-30-2005, 09:44 AM
It was just announced that a polling place in Southern Iraq had to be closed. So the resisdents in that area walked 13 miles to the next closest poll. Walking 13 miles!! Incredible. They had pictures and it wasn't just a few, it appeared as if there were hundreds. I'd say that represents a burning desire and points to the hope that the population has. How can we not help?

Better get Keith Olberman over there to investigate the voter fraud ASAP.

Cochise
01-30-2005, 09:47 AM
Holy crap. Dan Rather just said the limited amount of terrorist activity on election day might indicate the insurgents are on the run.

is this part of his community service for the fakeuments?

Cochise
01-30-2005, 09:49 AM
At any rate, 72 percent voting, that's great to hear.

I saw some really neat footage of Iraqis voting on the news yesterday, a lot of them were crying, putting their ballot in the box.

Reminds you of how spoiled we are in the greatest country in the world.

HC_Chief
01-30-2005, 10:00 AM
Outstanding.

2bikemike
01-30-2005, 10:00 AM

The thought that ran through my mind was that the insurgency was not quite as big and bold as we are led to believe by the media.

Cochise
01-30-2005, 10:01 AM
And...

Where is Ted 'bubbles' Kennedy? I thought he went on a big tirade about how the elections had to be pushed back, that they couldn't be held yet and would be a disaster if not postponed?

2bikemike
01-30-2005, 10:07 AM
Also I would like to point out that the actual numbers of voters is going to be less than 72%. If I have heard correctly the numbers in a few precincts was as high as 72% and some as low as 4%.

However the numbers will be fairly strong but closer to the 50% or slightly less.

But damn good job for our troops and the Iraqi people that threw the big Fug you to the terrorists.!

HC_Chief
01-30-2005, 10:11 AM
The mostly Shiite South estimates are around <i>90%</i> :eek:

Kurdish region is also nearing 90%. Bahgdad is hovering at around 70%.

Now Kerry is running his mouth about how the election isn't the important part. And...umm...welll....uhh... the Sunnis aren't voting and ummm.... :rolleyes:

Cochise
01-30-2005, 10:13 AM
The mostly Shiite South estimates are around <i>90%</i> :eek:

Kurdish region is also nearing 90%. Bahgdad is hovering at around 70%.

Now Kerry is running his mouth about how the election isn't the important part. And...umm...welll....uhh... the Sunnis aren't voting and ummm.... :rolleyes:

The hell with them... they had a chance to vote. If they didn't use it they can STFD and STFU.

Just like in the US, if you don't vote you don't have a right to complain.

HC_Chief
01-30-2005, 10:18 AM
Next thing you know it'll be "they (Sunnis) were 'intimidated'.... the US troops made sure they wouldn't vote".

You know, take a page right out of the 'ol dem playbook.

stevieray
01-30-2005, 10:30 AM
So what, more people voted against Bush than any other President.

Patriot 21
01-30-2005, 10:40 AM
Better get Keith Olberman over there to investigate the voter fraud ASAP.

No shit.........give him a free ticket on a cruise ship called "tomahawk."

HC_Chief
01-30-2005, 10:46 AM
No shit.........give him a free ticket on a cruise ship called "tomahawk."

lol
I keep picturing Slim Pickens in "Dr Strangelove" :D

stevieray
01-30-2005, 10:48 AM
lol

The difference is KO would be crying on the way down.

Patriot 21
01-30-2005, 10:49 AM
lol

ROFL I actually laughed out loud at that one! ROFL

Cochise
01-30-2005, 10:51 AM
lol

ROFL

I need to watch that again.

beavis
01-30-2005, 11:40 AM
Just makes you wonder how motivated the insurgents will be after this.

Who cares what the left wing wackos think. Kerry is irrelevant now anyway. They should monitor Kennedy closely today though, his head might turn so red that he'll have steam coming out his ears and run the risk of exploding.

BigOlChiefsfan
01-30-2005, 11:47 AM
http://www.foxnews.com/images/152247/10_23_012905_iraq2.jpg

RINGLEADER
01-30-2005, 11:50 AM

Not legitimate because Sunnis didn't vote...how predictable... ;)

RINGLEADER
01-30-2005, 11:53 AM
So what, more people voted against Bush than any other President.

Blah, blah, blah...Although that pretty much is the only comeback the Dems have after having their party at its most unified, their bank accounts at their fullest and still whiffing on every level of the most recent elections.

For one I appreciate the fact that they think they need to fight harder...just makes them look stoopider.

RINGLEADER
01-30-2005, 11:58 AM
John Zogby was just on Fox News saying that because the 72% figure wasn't reached he's not entirely sure that a majority of Iraqis voted and everyone should be cautioned against "irrational exuberance".

Makes you question why so many Arab leaders are so quick to highlight the flaws of the democratic process rather than spotlight the fact that a group of Arabs/Muslims are determining their own fate. It's almost like they're embarrassed that it took the help of an infidel to pull them out of the dark ages.

Of course Zogby's reluctance to embrace the results could have something to do with his polling that indicated only about 40% of Iraqi's would vote. ROFL

CHIEF4EVER
01-30-2005, 12:09 PM
John Zogby was just on Fox News saying that because the 72% figure wasn't reached he's not entirely sure that a majority of Iraqis voted and everyone should be cautioned against "irrational exuberance".

Makes you question why so many Arab leaders are so quick to highlight the flaws of the democratic process rather than spotlight the fact that a group of Arabs/Muslims are determining their own fate. It's almost like they're embarrassed that it took the help of an infidel to pull them out of the dark ages.

Of course Zogby's reluctance to embrace the results could have something to do with his polling that indicated only about 40% of Iraqi's would vote. ROFL

CBS reported a 60% turnout which still makes our voter turnout pathetic in comparison. Yes Mr. Zogby, we should guard against overexuberance......:rolleyes:

HC_Chief
01-30-2005, 12:13 PM
Excellent speech by Bush - "We congratulate the people of Iraq". Succinct. :thumb:

RINGLEADER
01-30-2005, 12:23 PM
Excellent speech by Bush - "We congratulate the people of Iraq". Succinct. :thumb:

Compare it with Kerry's statements.

Now Levin is on CNN saying that there are only 20-30,000 properly trained Iraqis. Few months ago he was defining a properly trained soldier differently and was complaining that it was only a few thousand. Using the standard he employed back then we now have more than 100,000 Iraqis trained.

Reminds me of the Dem attacks on the job numbers during the election...when the election started last January they were saying 3,000,000 jobs lost...they kept having to revise the number every month that they started changing what qualified as a job. Funniest quote I saw was one from Nancy Pelosi in April saying that we had 1.8 million jobs lost and then a month later, after we gained almost 400,000 jobs, she was complaining that the figure was now at 2.6 million.

To Democrats 1.8 million - 400K = 2.6 million.

ROFL ROFL ROFL

stumppy
01-30-2005, 12:31 PM

ROFL ROFL ROFL

Sssshhhhhh, don't give them any ideas for their next tax reform legislation.

CHIEF4EVER
01-30-2005, 12:34 PM
Strangely enough, Duhnise is conspicuously absent today. Perhaps she would have been happier with an election like this:

go bowe
01-30-2005, 12:35 PM
Wait, you mean the vast majority of the population got out and voted in spite of the doom and gloom prognostications from the LWNJ's like Duhnise? Fancy that.......:hmmm:lwnj's...

nice... ROFL ROFL ROFL

Michael Michigan
01-30-2005, 12:44 PM
Compare it with Kerry's statements.

Now Levin is on CNN saying that there are only 20-30,000 properly trained Iraqis. Few months ago he was defining a properly trained soldier differently and was complaining that it was only a few thousand. Using the standard he employed back then we now have more than 100,000 Iraqis trained.

Reminds me of the Dem attacks on the job numbers during the election...when the election started last January they were saying 3,000,000 jobs lost...they kept having to revise the number every month that they started changing what qualified as a job. Funniest quote I saw was one from Nancy Pelosi in April saying that we had 1.8 million jobs lost and then a month later, after we gained almost 400,000 jobs, she was complaining that the figure was now at 2.6 million.

ROFL ROFL ROFL

They seem to be unprepared.

Surely someone in that party believed that this might actually go well.

But all of them were so ready for failure, once success was realized, they had no idea of what to say.

I.E. John Kerry on MTP

BigMeatballDave
01-30-2005, 01:18 PM

:clap: She's right. This past Presidential election was my 1st to vote in, I'm 34. After watching the Iraqis risk their life to vote, I must admit to feeling a little shame...

go bowe
01-30-2005, 01:28 PM
:clap: She's right. This past Presidential election was my 1st to vote in, I'm 34. After watching the Iraqis risk their life to vote, I must admit to feeling a little shame...gee, i thought 34 was the voting age in ohio...

memyselfI
01-30-2005, 01:37 PM
There's about half an hour before the polls close and Freedoms winds in Iraq blew strong. The latest numbers indicate 72 percent of the population voted. Think about that. Here in america if we get 60 percent it's considered a high turn out. Normally only 40 to 50 percent of america votes in any election. And as those people vote who do they see? Iraq Security forces, not american. That has to have an effect. I can't help but feel a sense of optimism over the future of not only Iraq but of the Middle East as a whole. And do believe in the long run this country will be safer and we are seeing the decline of terrorism as a global force. It'll be interesting to hear over the next few days how people spin this. Especially those, to borrow a line from the movie "The American President", "People who say they love america but obviously can't stand americans".

I'll believe the 72% number when it's independently verified (as the Iraqi voting commission is already backing off from it) and I'll give the honeymoon period 3 months...

I believe, as one expert predicted yesterday, the insurgent's strategy will go from trying to stop the election (knowing they couldn't because the US was controlling the situation) to showing the Iraqi people 'nothing's changed' and as such the next 6 months will be very dangerous and deadly as the insurgents try to prove there is no stability in their new 'democracy.'

BigMeatballDave
01-30-2005, 01:38 PM
They should monitor Kennedy closely today though, his head might turn so red that he'll have steam coming out his ears and run the risk of exploding.I'd pay to see this, and cheer wildly afterwards...

memyselfI
01-30-2005, 01:40 PM
Strangely enough, Duhnise is conspicuously absent today. Perhaps she would have been happier with an election like this:

So sorry, NOT.

I was at the gym and then Church.

BigMeatballDave
01-30-2005, 01:43 PM
gee, i thought 34 was the voting age in ohio...
ROFL Wha?

Demonpenz
01-30-2005, 01:43 PM
So sorry, NOT.

I was at the gym and then Church.

the mosk was packed today huh?

BigMeatballDave
01-30-2005, 01:44 PM
I'll believe the 72% number when it's independently verified (as the Iraqi voting commission is already backing off from it) and I'll give the honeymoon period 3 months...

I believe, as one expert predicted yesterday, the insurgent's strategy will go from trying to stop the election (knowing they couldn't because the US was controlling the situation) to showing the Iraqi people 'nothing's changed' and as such the next 6 months will be very dangerous and deadly as the insurgents try to prove there is no stability in their new 'democracy.'This is not what you believe. It's what you HOPE happens...

BigMeatballDave
01-30-2005, 01:45 PM
the mosk was packed today huh?Mosque

BigMeatballDave
01-30-2005, 01:50 PM

I believe, as one expert predicted yesterday, the insurgent's strategy will go from trying to stop the election (knowing they couldn't because the US was controlling the situation) to showing the Iraqi people 'nothing's changed' and as such the next 6 months will be very dangerous and deadly as the insurgents try to prove there is no stability in their new 'democracy.'I ****ing HATE this gawddamn Leftist mentality! You could've came in here and said, "Its wonderful to see these people risking their lives to vote" or something like that. But, NO. You're just predicting gloom and doom for them. I'm not saying you're wrong. It won't 'instantly' get better for these people, but they made a HUGE step in the right direction today...

go bowe
01-30-2005, 01:53 PM
Mosqueeh, mosk, mosque, musk...

what's the difference anyway? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

drink a few more brews with me, and it'll all be the same... :toast:

BigMeatballDave
01-30-2005, 01:56 PM
eh, mosk, mosque, musk...

what's the difference anyway? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

drink a few more brews with me, and it'll all be the same... :toast:
ROFL Sorry, I only drink Dr. Pepper...

Joe Seahawk
01-30-2005, 01:58 PM

I believe, as one expert predicted yesterday, the insurgent's strategy will go from trying to stop the election (knowing they couldn't because the US was controlling the situation) to showing the Iraqi people 'nothing's changed' and as such the next 6 months will be very dangerous and deadly as the insurgents try to prove there is no stability in their new 'democracy.'

It will never work, nothing's changed..

http://www.maths.tcd.ie/~snpower/images/tigger/Eeyore/eeyore.gif

go bowe
01-30-2005, 01:59 PM
I ****ing HATE this gawddamn Leftist mentality! You could've came in here and said, "Its wonderful to see these people risking their lives to vote" or something like that. But, NO. You're just predicting gloom and doom for them. I'm not saying you're wrong. It won't 'instantly' get better for these people, but they made a HUGE step in the right direction today...i don't know about the leftists, but i'm sure the vast majority of mostly moderates like me are very encouraged by the early reports...

and i think most americans think that it is indeed wonderful to see the iraqi people (and so many of them) risk their lives to vote...

|Zach|
01-30-2005, 02:00 PM
I ****ing HATE this gawddamn Leftist mentality! You could've came in here and said, "Its wonderful to see these people risking their lives to vote" or something like that. But, NO. You're just predicting gloom and doom for them. I'm not saying you're wrong. It won't 'instantly' get better for these people, but they made a HUGE step in the right direction today...
I can't speak for her but I guess I hope for the best but just feel skeptical of the results. I was listening to a report pre-election saying that there were reigons where a 5% turn out would be successful. Then I hear reports of a 90% turn out in another reigon. It just seems like the numbers are all over the place.

I hope the number pan out for the best but I don't quite believe it is the reality yet.

Michael Michigan
01-30-2005, 02:01 PM

"One expert?"

Keep the pessimism coming…

http://www.wesroth.com/peacesign.jpg

go bowe
01-30-2005, 02:01 PM
It will never work, nothing's changed..

http://www.maths.tcd.ie/~snpower/images/tigger/Eeyore/eeyore.gif

good heavens, man...

there are CHILDREN on this board!!

go bowe
01-30-2005, 02:06 PM
"One expert?"

Keep the pessimism coming…

http://www.wesroth.com/peacesign.jpg

all the photos i've seen of iraqis holding up their inky fingers seem to exude a pride and hopefulness that has rarely been seen...

regardless of the variations in percentages and whether the sunnis participate in a meaningful way, holding a free election has been a tremendous accomplishment...

seems like i saw similar looks on photos of afghan voters not so long ago...

memyselfI
01-30-2005, 02:14 PM
This is not what you believe. It's what you HOPE happens...

Uh, no. This election was the easy part...

just as 'winning' the war was. The US seems to have the problems in the implemention AFTER the main event.

Michael Michigan
01-30-2005, 02:14 PM
all the photos i've seen of iraqis holding up their inky fingers seem to exude a pride and hopefulness that has rarely been seen...

regardless of the variations in percentages and whether the sunnis participate in a meaningful way, holding a free election has been a tremendous accomplishment...

seems like i saw similar looks on photos of afghan voters not so long ago...

http://powerlineblog.com/archives/iraqfinger.jpg

Baby Lee
01-30-2005, 02:21 PM
Democracy!! Whiskey!! Sexy!!!!

:clap: :clap: :clap:

stevieray
01-30-2005, 02:21 PM

just as 'winning' the war was. The US seems to have the problems in the implemention AFTER the main event.

Your anti agenda sure is convienent. You switch it every time your negative predictions are proven wrong.

transparency reduced to the core.

Baby Lee
01-30-2005, 02:26 PM
E-mail on Sullivan's blog, from a LWNJ with nascent brain waves, above and beyond the Mememe's of the world
I'm pretty anti-Bush now, and I'm upset about why we went to war, and about the way we've prosecuted it since we've gone in. That imposes a certain bias on me, and I think that it's led me to miss the boat on a fairly big aspect of what's going on in iraq with respect to the election.
The majority of iraqis are pro-democracy, and this election is enormously important to them. You can hear it in the interviews, and you can see it in the television images of voters walking by, holding up their blue fingers.
Obviously, Iraq is a divided country, and obviously, there are a lot of people who are fighting against democracy. We haven't been able to bring those people on board, and we haven't been able to do enough to prevent them from terrorizing others into staying away from the process. There are some very serious problems, and there have been some very serious failures.
But in a sense, that just makes what's going on among pro-democracy iraqis all the more remarkable and praiseworthy.
I don't know who is going to win, or what their policies will be, or how the new government will respond to the anti-democratic insurgency. But I do know that a lot of people voted, that they were eager to vote, that they were proud to vote, and that the turn out in the pro-democracy sections of the country was very high.
Honestly, I think the failure of people on the left to see and appreciate what's happening is akin to the failure of the people on the right to see the serious problems in the way we've administered the occupation.
:clap:

CHIEF4EVER
01-30-2005, 02:29 PM

So....some pedrigeed knucklehead predicts doom and gloom and he gets the moniker "expert". I wonder what the over/under is on him being a liberal democrat. :hmmm: Bottom line is this: The insurgents (most of whom are NOT Iraqi BTW) failed to stop the polling. The determination of the vast majority of the Iraqi people in exercising their self determination by overcoming a radical violent minority is a sign that they will not be denied the right to govern themselves. I know this sticks in your craw because, like most liberal doomsayers, you will have to eat a big steaming pile of large dark bird when this whole venture succeeds.

Cochise
01-30-2005, 02:54 PM
Watching Duhnise try to find bad news here is like watching Frank Thomas try to lean into a pitch, only it paints the outside corner and she gets rung up.

redbrian
01-30-2005, 03:18 PM

I'm sorry but I believe it is now up to the Iraqi elected officials to go to work. The US is now only in position to help keep the peace, until A) the US government decides it is stable enough for us to leave or B) The new government is asks us to leave.

Oh by the way don’t expect the Iraqi people to get it right the first time, just look how many governments the French and Italians have formed over the years.

And if you know your US history you know it took quite a while for the US to get a constitution adobpted and it is still under review.

One other thought, the insurgents have lost a huge battle against the people.

Also notice how cavalier she is, dismissing the danger and hardship the voters went through as nothing. I bet she never walked two blocks for her bon-bon’s let alone 13 miles to vote.

KCWolfman
01-30-2005, 03:35 PM
72%?!?!

Wow, some naysayers on this board look a little foolish, don't they?

KCWolfman
01-30-2005, 03:37 PM

Translation - Damn, my predictions suck

KCWolfman
01-30-2005, 03:38 PM
Funny - The "easy part" was not mentioned when you posted the story about poor election prediction turnout. I wonder why?

mlyonsd
01-30-2005, 03:47 PM
Couple observations.

From what I hear on the news the low Sunni turnout is not because they opposed the elections but that they were intimidated not to vote. I mean, imagine walking around the Sunni triangle today with a purple finger. Not smart. The majority of Sunnis still want to be represented in the government though. This gives me hope the Sunni 'problem' is mostly limited to the insurgency and is not tribal wide. That's a good thing.

Of course there will be problems ahead and all is not perfect. But for any American to look at todays events and not consider them positive is simply being so biased their judgement is suspect.

The Bush administration took tons of criticism for their mishandling of Iraq after the military victory. It'll be interesting to see if those same bashers will be able to swallow their pride and actually admit the administration handled the elections brilliantly.

And finally, the Bush administration's prediction that the Iraqis would welcome us with open arms was a little off the mark. Todays events showed Iraqis were willing to embrace us symbolically by accepting our belief that freedom and democracy are things worth risking your life for. We've known it for over 200 years, and today Iraqis helped prove we are right. It may have taken 18 months but the Bush administration fundamentally believing Iraqis would embrace us was proven today.

BigMeatballDave
01-30-2005, 04:10 PM
Also notice how cavalier she is, dismissing the danger and hardship the voters went through as nothing. I bet she never walked two blocks for her bon-bon’s let alone 13 miles to vote.Ouch!
ROFL

BigMeatballDave
01-30-2005, 04:14 PM
The Bush administration took tons of criticism for their mishandling of Iraq after the military victory. It'll be interesting to see if those same bashers will be able to swallow their pride and actually admit the administration handled the elections brilliantly.
I almost laughed outloud from this...

mlyonsd
01-30-2005, 04:21 PM
I almost laughed outloud from this...

If you think about it the elections under these circumstances must have been a logistical nightmare. Even the Bush bashers have to admit the elections were handled well. Err, at least the credible ones that can think clearly.